Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Morphix posted:

that's so cool man, wow you're getting paid time AND a half? Wow

you're the precious 'Ironic Detachment' online minority. nobody except yourself is impressed that you can identify other emotions online.

Really, that's IT?! Wet fart and some generic projection? Ah well, fun while it lasted.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

:munch:

I was expecting BZ updates, but this was just as entertaining.
:justpost:

Sorry, I apparently hosed up the leading statements, this show appears to be over.

I do think it's a little silly to assume that BZ wasn't going to have all of the same problems that Subnautica had (it's an expansion, if they didn't rewrite the entire engine to pull terraforming and voxels out of the base game they for sure weren't going to do it for BZ), but I have hope that they'll preserve enough of the feel of the first game to have a similar feeling of discovery and wonder on the first playthrough, even though it won't be the same as the first-ever time on 4546B.

Maybe they'll make enough to fund an all-up sequel with an engine rewrite?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Teledahn posted:

I think the basic point of "Devs did not fix fundamental issues with their engine" has merit. (To say the least.)

yeah

i think i mentioned it before but if this game was not such a buggy goddamn mess it'd be easily in my favorite games of all time. i am all for everything this game is about and i even like the survival elements a lot more than most other games. but it was the buggiest experience i have ever had. like, look at this poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovHSLLNYv8Q

look at this poo poo

that never fixed itself btw, i had to deal with a giant invisible solid object loving up the bridge of my cyclops for the rest of the goddamn game. i saved and quit, and when i came back that poo poo was inexplicably there and never went away.

again i'll admit that judging from other people's experience i had it way worse than most, but it doesn't really change the fact that the experience i had was fuckin miserable, and it seemed like it was custom geared toward loving up in game-breaking ways the second i had stopped being frustrated at the last game-breaking bug i'd experienced.

i would love a good version of subnautica more than maybe anyone else in this thread. instead it's a game i finished once and will prolly never touch again, and that fuckin blows for me to say about a game i want to love so goddamn much.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

look at this poo poo

that never fixed itself btw, i had to deal with a giant invisible solid object loving up the bridge of my cyclops for the rest of the goddamn game. i saved and quit, and when i came back that poo poo was inexplicably there and never went away.

drat that sucks. I got lucky and never experienced any game breaking glitches that stayed with a save. most of mine were just small jank poppin up constantly. like you'd get lost in the moment of the game and 'oh hey cool that sandshark has frozen itself in it's animation, cool' or hey i fell through my base and now im walking around the bottom of the ocean not using any oxygen, cool.

and obviously don't build too big of a base, more than couple rooms and watch your fps tank. that seems to be a constant. Oh and adding windows. don't add too many of those or again fps tanks. oh definitely don't park any vehicles too close to the beaches or that's a recipe for disaster.

quote:

i would love a good version of subnautica more than maybe anyone else in this thread. instead it's a game i finished once and will prolly never touch again, and that fuckin blows for me to say about a game i want to love so goddamn much.

loving a man.

I have a deep fear of open oceans and seemingly bottomless water, this game triggered that in such an intense way it took me weeks of on and off playing to move past the shallows. I love that part of the game. That first 3rd of the game is amazing, by halfway the amount of jank makes the illusion work less and less.

Morphix fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 9, 2019

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

yeah

i think i mentioned it before but if this game was not such a buggy goddamn mess it'd be easily in my favorite games of all time. i am all for everything this game is about and i even like the survival elements a lot more than most other games. but it was the buggiest experience i have ever had. like, look at this poo poo

look at this poo poo

again i'll admit that judging from other people's experience i had it way worse than most, but it doesn't really change the fact that the experience i had was fuckin miserable, and it seemed like it was custom geared toward loving up in game-breaking ways the second i had stopped being frustrated at the last game-breaking bug i'd experienced.

But someone didn't run into the same amount bugs you did (Or if they did, loudly proclaim they don't care). Therefore-

(In all my bugchecking, I never ran into THAT one though :stare:)

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Trip report from another 4 hours on the PS4 version:
Clipped oob in the Aurora and had to drown myself to get back inbounds
Drove a seamoth into a mushroom tree that spawned in inside my seamoth. This caused the interface of the game to flip out until the icon for my scanner was taking up 1/4 of my screen and then the game crashed.
The red moon vanished and I'm not sure how long it's been missing. I can see it from underwater but if your in air it's invisible.

I did have one other hard crash but I'm saving much more often now as the autosaves are useless and only lost like 30 minutes.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
man I've been having a loving blast with this game for the past few weeks but of course this, like all games threads, is unrelentingly negative. Maybe I just have really bad luck picking titles but it'd be nice to play a game that isn't apparently made by the world's very worst developers imaginable for once.

Anyway I built it in the shallows because I'm a massive coward but check out my base:

Coming into it from Minecraft and stuff I was kinda unconvinced about it at first because of the inflexibility, but base building in this is ridiculously satisfying. I've gone wiki trawling over the past few days and spoiled for myself that I've seen everything so this has faded a bit now, but for the longest time getting back home to it after fleeing away from something while terrified was such an amazing feeling, and the sturdy bulkheads and stuff really made it feel like a little fortress in this big hostile world. I never knew what might be coming or when I might be in danger. I don't think I've ever had an experience quite the same in any other game.

Obviously the exploration has also been phenomenal but I don't think I can say anything that hasn't been said a thousand times there. My only complaint, other than the atrocious oversight of fish swimming through my base, obviously, is that after a while I really stopped feeling threatened. The reapers still scare me a bit, but aside from them, the fauna doesn't even really feel hostile anymore. On my first few nights even the gas dudes and reefbacks wigged me out, but I eventually realized that even the giant octopus things and cave eels are just going about their business and one whack with a knife will get them to leave you alone. I guess maybe that's the point; they're just animals after all, not malevolent entities, and nature isn't intrinsically out to get me etc etc. But it has done a lot to erode the terror of descending deeper.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Koramei posted:

man I've been having a loving blast with this game for the past few weeks but of course this, like all games threads, is unrelentingly negative. Maybe I just have really bad luck picking titles but it'd be nice to play a game that isn't apparently made by the world's very worst developers imaginable for once.

If it makes you feel any better, the majority of people complaining about it are the unlucky few that experienced major bugs.

I've played through the entire game and if it even crashed on me once I don't remember it.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I had no serious issues I remember on the PC version but after being reminded this exists by the EA release of Below Zero I wanted to run through it again and thought I may as well do it on my TV which appears to have been a mistake as the PS4 version seems to be a hot mess. Still a great game and a ton of fun, just disappointing how unstable it is.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Koramei posted:

Anyway I built it in the shallows because I'm a massive coward but check out my base:

Coming into it from Minecraft and stuff I was kinda unconvinced about it at first because of the inflexibility, but base building in this is ridiculously satisfying. I've gone wiki trawling over the past few days and spoiled for myself that I've seen everything so this has faded a bit now, but for the longest time getting back home to it after fleeing away from something while terrified was such an amazing feeling, and the sturdy bulkheads and stuff really made it feel like a little fortress in this big hostile world. I never knew what might be coming or when I might be in danger. I don't think I've ever had an experience quite the same in any other game.

Obviously the exploration has also been phenomenal but I don't think I can say anything that hasn't been said a thousand times there. My only complaint, other than the atrocious oversight of fish swimming through my base, obviously, is that after a while I really stopped feeling threatened. The reapers still scare me a bit, but aside from them, the fauna doesn't even really feel hostile anymore. On my first few nights even the gas dudes and reefbacks wigged me out, but I eventually realized that even the giant octopus things and cave eels are just going about their business and one whack with a knife will get them to leave you alone. I guess maybe that's the point; they're just animals after all, not malevolent entities, and nature isn't intrinsically out to get me etc etc. But it has done a lot to erode the terror of descending deeper.

Probably most people in this thread have been playing since the early days of Early Access. To someone picking up the game now, I’m sure it’s amazing.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
here's a blast from the past with a real bad bug I experienced

Captain Invictus posted:

So I was down in the active lava zone and a sea dragon pushed me straight through the walls of the containment facility(I think it is), saw some probably spoilery stuff underneath it.

I'm in the prawn suit and stuck in the walls, is there an easy way to get out?

edit: GOD drat YOU

that said I really didn't encounter very many game-breaking bugs at all outside of that. Though that one in particular super sucked because there's no water inside facility walls, so no swimming, so lol get hosed

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Koramei posted:

after a while I really stopped feeling threatened. The reapers still scare me a bit, but aside from them, the fauna doesn't even really feel hostile anymore. On my first few nights even the gas dudes and reefbacks wigged me out, but I eventually realized that even the giant octopus things and cave eels are just going about their business and one whack with a knife will get them to leave you alone. I guess maybe that's the point; they're just animals after all, not malevolent entities, and nature isn't intrinsically out to get me etc etc. But it has done a lot to erode the terror of descending deeper.

This is definitely part of the game's natural and intended progression. At first, everything is terrifying but as you come to understand the world and its fauna the looming horror never fully materializes. Insted, you learn that the place isn't out to get you at all and gradually the dread becomes a kind of wonder as you explore new depths and discover long-lost secrets.

I missed the terror too at first, but I finished very positive on the overall gameplay arc. So few games cast the player as a benign force in the face of the unknown. Rather than conquer or even master 4546B, the goal is simply to survive, explore, and eventually depart. Though I guess in the end you do kinda doom the planet since Alterra is now aware of it and unlikely to let it go unexploited.

Whoops.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Skippy McPants posted:

This is definitely part of the game's natural and intended progression. At first, everything is terrifying but as you come to understand the world and its fauna the looming horror never fully materializes. Insted, you learn that the place isn't out to get you at all and gradually the dread becomes a kind of wonder as you explore new depths and discover long-lost secrets.

I really wonder what this game would be like if they made the stasis rifle only work once on leviathans, maybe once and a half, so you get barely enough time to scan and run the gently caress away. I mean I never even tried killing them so it wouldn't really change the game that much for myself. But I always knew that escape tool was there, so maybe it filled me with a sense of confidence? In the same way the Prawn suit makes you feel invincible, but you have that feeling of being stuck at the bottom of the ocean even if you are practically invincible, so there is still a sense of danger.

Or maybe add some sort of fear effect if you spend too much time around the leviathans. I dunno, or maybe if the things just wouldn't clip through walls in the underground sea the illusion of fear would be better maintained. I guess the game lost all of it's magic in it's last 3rd for me, and by the time I saw the sea dragon it was just another big thing to once in a while keep an eye on and keep it moving.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Vakal posted:

If it makes you feel any better, the majority of people complaining about it are the unlucky few that experienced major bugs.

I've played through the entire game and if it even crashed on me once I don't remember it.

Yeah, I got it about a year ago, after it was out of EA, and I've got a couple hundred hours into it with minimal bugs. I just don't feel the need to constantly post how fun it is. I've had a handful of times where the inside/outside logic wigs out and I'm stuck running around on the seafloor with no way to swim back to my vehicle or base, but that's about the worst of it. It runs decently for me; it chugs a little when things get busy or in the alien bases, but I've never had any issues with pop-in happening super close or getting stuck in terrain or anything.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

What's the deepest you can go from surface to bottom in one long vertical connector stretch? I found a spot next to the floating island arch bridge that let's me get to 540 meters. I'm winding if there's better.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Heffer posted:

What's the deepest you can go from surface to bottom in one long vertical connector stretch? I found a spot next to the floating island arch bridge that let's me get to 540 meters. I'm winding if there's better.

Well, not counting the edge of the map which goes down for thousands of meters, my first guess would be Blood Kelp Trench. It's pretty vertical and the bottom is around 650 meters.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Skippy McPants posted:

Well, not counting the edge of the map which goes down for thousands of meters, my first guess would be Blood Kelp Trench. It's pretty vertical and the bottom is around 650 meters.

I guess if you lined up to one of the entrances to the underground river you'd maybe be going like 850~ in a straight line

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I think the most annoying bug I ran into was the stalkers refusing to drop aggro and following me across half the map, and circling around my crashed pod. I took a screenshot at one point where I had four stalkers circling it, and I had to abandon that game and start over.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Skippy McPants posted:

Insted, you learn that the place isn't out to get you at all

Warpers definitely are.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Paracelsus posted:

Warpers definitely are.

only because theyre biomechanical automatons designed to kill infected things. once you get past that point theyre chill af

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

TK-42-1 posted:

only because theyre biomechanical automatons designed to kill infected things. once you get past that point theyre chill af

Small consolation when you're watching your Prawn drift to the bottom of a 500 meter chasm you were trying to jet out of for the 7th time.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I just grab the warper in a tactical nelson and crush its head between my pecs

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Repulsor cannon. Punt the fucker into the next zip code.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

So how many places do you actually need the propulsion cannon for something? I've only ever found one single spot outside the Aurora. I love being able to just banish any cave fuckers that try to nibble on me but it's hard to justify bringing the thing along.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Really Pants posted:

So how many places do you actually need the propulsion cannon for something? I've only ever found one single spot outside the Aurora. I love being able to just banish any cave fuckers that try to nibble on me but it's hard to justify bringing the thing along.

I think there are a few wrecks where you can shift some debris to get to an extra crate or two, but it's never anything critical. I'll pack a repulsion cannon if I'm getting annoyed with wildlife, but I never use the propulsion cannon outside of the initial trip to the Aurora.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Paracelsus posted:

Warpers definitely are.

Another reason to love the Cyclops. You get to watch those fuckers bump impotently against the hull.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Many thanks to whoever left me a Cyclops Engine Efficiency module in their thing. I only just remembered I have it. I was expecting a 125%-150% efficiency, not 300%.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

If somebody left that in a time capsule then they're a dick.

there's always one in the Aurora and they don't stack

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Okay, maybe I did find it in the Aurora? Where's the time capsule? I may have just never found it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I think time capsules are random. If you found one it'll be listed in your databank.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

PMush Perfect posted:

Okay, maybe I did find it in the Aurora? Where's the time capsule? I may have just never found it.

They're random and you may have multiple spawn in a playthrough.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Really Pants posted:

You used to be able to use the prop cannon to pry open ventilation hatches in wrecks IIRC.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
this showed up on my recommendations, I hadn't realized the game grumps had actually done some subnautica videos(though it seems not very many) and they go in utterly blind, it's adorable. key thing to know: flares are not food.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWMq15I0ymU&hd=1

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
I love (the extremely rare) blind playthroughs of Subnautica, but Game Grumps just don't have the patience to get anything done, so they quit more or less immediately.

Former Overwatch dude Seagull did a sorta blind playthrough a few months ago that was decent.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Man, medkit dispensers are just a complete waste of time, aren't they? All you need is an armful of creepvine.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The convenience is nice. Especially on the cyclops.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Advanced wiring kits are never convenient. Not to mention that it needs some creepvine samples regardless. How many of those can you cut and shove into a fabricator while you're waiting for the dispenser to squeeze one out?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Depends on where you are. If it's not near a kelp forest, it's really convenient to set up a dispenser and pop a new medkit out every time you visit. Especially down in the lost river area.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Bring the forest with you! Plant some creep seeds in grow beds or even alien containment. Then you've got medkits, lube, and rubber. Save on late-game electronics and have a well-stocked deep sea gently caress dungeon.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Feb 11, 2019

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
That still ties you to a fixed spot. If you have a healing dispenser on your cyclops you can just have a health kit waiting for you whenever you go back to the cyclops to eat your melons.

You can just deconstruct it to get the wiring kit back, anyway. It's not really anything close to as big a deal as you are making out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

You're just jealous of all my rubber.