Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Meiteron posted:

The Incognito Princess story loving goes places. :stonklol:

The writing on that one is really impressive even by Failbetter's standards.

If you ever told someone about what you saw then, if you could tell them in between the screams the memory of it brings, they would not thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
The tiara joke broke me

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
I'm wrapping up some Albion stuff, is there an actual resolution to fixing the clockwork sun that I somehow screwed up? I was handing hours off to the main engineer at the sun until she went crazy, then failed the hearts check for the other engineers immediately after she went crazy, and now the port reports from there are all "oh god get help poo poo's hosed poo poo's hosed" but I don't see any options to progress the quest anymore. I had thought there was because there was an achievement for fixing it, but I just grinded out some deliveries at London to max it out to 100 and the achievement popped with no reaction from the game. Normally when a quest is wrapped up they give you a chunk of exp and, like, a searing enigma or something, but I don't think I got anything.

The way the story was developing leads me to believe there isn't one, but from a gameplay perspective it's a bit disappointing.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Meiteron posted:

I'm wrapping up some Albion stuff, is there an actual resolution to fixing the clockwork sun that I somehow screwed up? I was handing hours off to the main engineer at the sun until she went crazy, then failed the hearts check for the other engineers immediately after she went crazy, and now the port reports from there are all "oh god get help poo poo's hosed poo poo's hosed" but I don't see any options to progress the quest anymore. I had thought there was because there was an achievement for fixing it, but I just grinded out some deliveries at London to max it out to 100 and the achievement popped with no reaction from the game. Normally when a quest is wrapped up they give you a chunk of exp and, like, a searing enigma or something, but I don't think I got anything.

The way the story was developing leads me to believe there isn't one, but from a gameplay perspective it's a bit disappointing.

As far as I know no, there's no way to fix it: it's a fools errand.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

xiw posted:

The tiara joke broke me
The loving starlings man.

That whole questline is an amazing combination of hilarious and terrible creeping dread. Often at the same time.

Stroth fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Feb 10, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Cool. Well my terror is too high to do anything, so I do the event which causes damage to my hull that I can't do anything about (10% chance keep reloading).

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Stroth posted:

The loving starlings man.

That whole questline is an amazing combination of hilarious and terrible creeping dread. Often at the same time.

A Disney princess movie mixed with an eldritch horror story.

It was fantastic.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I maintain that if you want a highlight to list in Sunless Skies it's the Incognito Princess's story, it is just front to back great. The writing is just so great at being unsettling, I still don't know what I did or what she made me do or if anything was done or what happened and I love it.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Seas talk, but man - the Easy Mode mod was too easy (disables terror, fuel, and hunger entirely, among other things), so I tinkered with the .json files and just cut them all in half. That actually may've been too extreme, but adding 50% to the base boat speed is so much better. I think I might actually be able to make some headway in this thing.

Stroth posted:

The writing on that one is really impressive even by Failbetter's standards.

If you ever told someone about what you saw then, if you could tell them in between the screams the memory of it brings, they would not thank you.

I wonder how much of the writing isn't done in-house; apparently the Incognito Princess was written by Kieron Gillen from Rock Paper Shotgun.

I knew it was going to be good with the single, throwaway line when you first meet her that as she boards your train, a commoner calmly scoops his eyes out with a spoon after looking at her. I almost missed it.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 10, 2019

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

I'm currently working through some crew member quests, some of them are pretty good so far.

How do you get a caged chorister bee (Possible mild Repentant Devil spoiler)? I've slaughtered lots of things and never had the option for it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Hobojim posted:

I'm currently working through some crew member quests, some of them are pretty good so far.

How do you get a caged chorister bee (Possible mild Repentant Devil spoiler)? I've slaughtered lots of things and never had the option for it.

That's not part of his quest. There's another quest that instructs you to obtain one (and tells you how) and while it's in your inventory you can show it to him for a bit of dialogue.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

That's not part of his quest. There's another quest that instructs you to obtain one (and tells you how) and while it's in your inventory you can show it to him for a bit of dialogue.

Hmm. In that case, I'm not sure how to open up his last option at the end of his quest. Did I have to pick the "correct" options throughout all of the fetch-questing with him?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Hobojim posted:

Hmm. In that case, I'm not sure how to open up his last option at the end of his quest. Did I have to pick the "correct" options throughout all of the fetch-questing with him?

As I recall, once the fetch quest opens there's permanently in his dialogue a thing that's unlocked by going to all the places and having three panes of stained glass. As I recall, that's the end of the quest. My memory of it isn't perfect though.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

As I recall, once the fetch quest opens there's permanently in his dialogue a thing that's unlocked by going to all the places and having three panes of stained glass. As I recall, that's the end of the quest. My memory of it isn't perfect though.

Yeah I got that part finished. Now there are two options that sound like he leaves, and one option that isn't available offering him "safe haven" and I'm not sure how to unlock that option. It says I need Devil's Rebellion which would make sense if I needed to pick different options throughout his questline.

Edit: In looking at what the options I HAVE unlocked required, I'm pretty positive it's based on choices throughout his quest.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah sounds like it's just a branching quest whose final outcome depends on your choices along the way. My strat, which resulted in keeping him as the upgraded officer Defiant Devil was to encourage his rebellion every chance I got

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Hobojim posted:

Yeah I got that part finished. Now there are two options that sound like he leaves, and one option that isn't available offering him "safe haven" and I'm not sure how to unlock that option. It says I need Devil's Rebellion which would make sense if I needed to pick different options throughout his questline.

Edit: In looking at what the options I HAVE unlocked required, I'm pretty positive it's based on choices throughout his quest.

It is.

If you don't want him to leave, don't finish the quest. You can still try the quest again with a new captain at this point and pick the opposite options to get the upgraded officer. However, once you finish the quest it's finished forever unless you restart the entire game.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

xiw posted:

Now that these are being discussed(I did Grieve which was perfect), but am I interpreting the Salt one right? Your player was retrospectively Salt in disguise all along on an undercover mission to find out what happened to Eaten? That's pretty sweet.

frest posted:

I chose "the 3rd one," and the relative "meta" context of it and what I felt was an intimate connection with the Zee made me feel really satisfied at the time. I only started FL after Sunless Sea introduced me to the setting, and only really cared about FL insofar as the Storynexus meta-qualities would unlock additional content in Seas.

Meta, you say? Believe me, meta is exactly the right word for it. I have a different interpretation than yours, xiw, because here is a screenshot of the splash screen for the secret version of Cultist Simulator you can only get by following Cultist Simulator's version of Ambition: Enigma. Yep, that's (almost) the Who Is Salt? ending to Seeking Mr Eaten's Name. Yep, it's in the splash screen for a totally different game set in a different universe. My interpretation of that, combined with what happens in the going East quest in Sunless Sea is simple. Salt, the Traveller, went East after doing everything he wanted to do in the Neath. He went East and went to Port Noon, from Cultist Simulator, the "port of sun and intrigue and eternity." The place where immortals go to retire, drink from the Fountain of Lethe, and be forgotten (interesting how in the original Who Is Salt? text, the place you go is violet-glinting, the colour of forgetfulness). A place which, explicitly, is 'west of the world', in Cultist Simulator. I'm guessing that that particular SMENding is your character going "nope, I'm done here" and peaceing out of the whole Fallen London world rather than see things through because, like Salt, you realise that there's nothing worth staying for.

Alexis Kennedy be crazy, y'all.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
There’s another thing this game needs: just a simple yes or no prompt when you retire for “Do you want officers to carry over”. Even if it wasn’t possible, easy even to completely gently caress things up or lose officers entirely, I still want to know what happens in the other resolutions for their quests.

Stroth fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 10, 2019

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Stroth posted:

There’s another thing this game needs: just a simple yes or no prompt when you retire for “Do you want officers to carry over”. Even if it wasn’t possible, easy even to completely gently caress things up or lose officers entirely, I still want to know what happens in the other resolutions for their quests.

Strongly agreed. Of all the quest that I didn't like repeating in Sunless Seas the officers quest were not among them. I greatly appreciated getting the chance to try again.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
How does Officers carrying over work, by the way? My plan was to do Song of the Sky and then do the ambition about the secrets of the Judgments second but I've finished a bunch of officers and upgraded them.

When my current captain retires and my next captain sets on a new ambition am I going to get a prompt to, say recruit the Repentant Devil but he'll end up in my officer list in an upgraded form and no quest to do?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Meiteron posted:

How does Officers carrying over work, by the way? My plan was to do Song of the Sky and then do the ambition about the secrets of the Judgments second but I've finished a bunch of officers and upgraded them.

When my current captain retires and my next captain sets on a new ambition am I going to get a prompt to, say recruit the Repentant Devil but he'll end up in my officer list in an upgraded form and no quest to do?

You find them in their upgraded forms at various ports. Once the officer quests are done they're done forever unless you restart the entire game.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
The option to sign them on has new text as well, reflecting that their story is finished and they're in their upgraded form.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Upgraded officers also be found in different ports, potentially in different regions.

Also, at least one of the clay conductor’s upgrades is reset on a new captain. Not sure if it’s a bug or intentional.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Speaking of officers, is the officer pool that shows up at ports based on your factions or stats or something? I'm in what feels like the last leg of the game and have only ever seen the Aunt for Quartermaster

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

BBJoey posted:

Upgraded officers also be found in different ports, potentially in different regions.

Also, at least one of the clay conductor’s upgrades is reset on a new captain. Not sure if it’s a bug or intentional.

Yeah, I think the Clay Conductor's route might be bugged in certain places, but I'm not sure. Which route did you pick? Did you have him give up his voice or did you give up yours?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

cheetah7071 posted:

Speaking of officers, is the officer pool that shows up at ports based on your factions or stats or something? I'm in what feels like the last leg of the game and have only ever seen the Aunt for Quartermaster

I think I saw someone mention earlier in the thread that Your Aunt is the only quartermaster, currently at least.

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012
It's possible to get another quartermaster in the Blue Kingdom: at least one of the companions that you can make at the Forge of Souls is a quartermaster, and I suspect that all of them are.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
That's good to hear! I noticed on the Failbetter website there's an event in Fallen London at the moment which includes characters called the Impenitent Devil and the Captivating Princess. Any relation to the Repentant Devil or Incognito Princess from this game?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Yeah, I think the Clay Conductor's route might be bugged in certain places, but I'm not sure. Which route did you pick? Did you have him give up his voice or did you give up yours?

I gave up my voice, and created a companion for him, which upgraded him to +10 mirrors. However, I saw online that a number of people made the same choice but had a different result - the Conductor intervened and stopped the process. Maybe because I didn’t practice clay singing beforehand?

Him losing his upgrade may be intentional - it might be that the companion dies between captains, and it’s the companion’s ashes he asks you to conduct a service for when he first comes aboard - making that particular path a neat little recursive arc. It could just as easily be a bug though.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Reveilled posted:

That's good to hear! I noticed on the Failbetter website there's an event in Fallen London at the moment which includes characters called the Impenitent Devil and the Captivating Princess. Any relation to the Repentant Devil or Incognito Princess from this game?

They are one and the same, prior to entering the high wilderness. The impenitent devil is new, but the captivating princess has long been a beloved horror of the neath.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

BBJoey posted:

They are one and the same, prior to entering the high wilderness. The impenitent devil is new, but the captivating princess has long been a beloved horror of the neath.

I've never played Fallen London, did she show up in Sea, at all? I haven't recruited either in Skies as I am resolved not to just do every single officer on my first Captain, so the Princess' past is still unknown to me.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

BBJoey posted:

I gave up my voice, and created a companion for him, which upgraded him to +10 mirrors. However, I saw online that a number of people made the same choice but had a different result - the Conductor intervened and stopped the process. Maybe because I didn’t practice clay singing beforehand?

Him losing his upgrade may be intentional - it might be that the companion dies between captains, and it’s the companion’s ashes he asks you to conduct a service for when he first comes aboard - making that particular path a neat little recursive arc. It could just as easily be a bug though.

Yeah, I tried to give up my voice, but he stopped me (I did practice singing, so I think you're right that those things are connected). Apparently, after some time, this is supposed to lead to a different upgrade. However, I haven't been able to get this to trigger and I'm not sure if anyone else has either so this could just be a rumor or it could be bugged or maybe I just haven't waited long enough (although it's been an entire year, so I think it's either bugged/a rumor).

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
There are a few people you'll meet who were in either Fallen London or Sunless Sea yet none made me as sad as what happened to the The Dark Spectacled Admiral. I always liked the character in Sunless Sea and to see how purely broken they became was just brutal. Piranesi is something else.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

TGG posted:

There are a few people you'll meet who were in either Fallen London or Sunless Sea yet none made me as sad as what happened to the The Dark Spectacled Admiral. I always liked the character in Sunless Sea and to see how purely broken they became was just brutal. Piranesi is something else.

Oh gently caress, something bad happened to The Dark Spectacled Admiral? :smith: that sucks.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Oh gently caress, something bad happened to The Dark Spectacled Admiral? :smith: that sucks.

That's what happens to people who oppose THESUNTHESUNTHESUNTHESUNTHESUNTHESUNTHESUNTHESUNTH

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

Yeah look for the biggest rear end in a top hat in prison and read between the lines, Piranesi changes people and it is a sad affair.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
You know, I always wondered though, is your contact for the Tacketies supposed to be his daughter? They seem to have a family resemblance, though it could just be coincidence, really.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

NewMars posted:

You know, I always wondered though, is your contact for the Tacketies supposed to be his daughter? They seem to have a family resemblance, though it could just be coincidence, really.

Knowing this setting, she is probably a clone of his from a different timeline

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Reveilled posted:

I've never played Fallen London, did she show up in Sea, at all? I haven't recruited either in Skies as I am resolved not to just do every single officer on my first Captain, so the Princess' past is still unknown to me.

She's not in Sea to my knowledge. As far as I know, the only character to appear in all of FL, Sea and Skies is the Blemmigan Tourist/Gallivanter/Voyager (I have no reason to believe they are the same but it feels right to me).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

BBJoey posted:

She's not in Sea to my knowledge. As far as I know, the only character to appear in all of FL, Sea and Skies is the Blemmigan Tourist/Gallivanter/Voyager (I have no reason to believe they are the same but it feels right to me).

The Blind Bruiser shows up in one way or another in all of them, though he's definitely most prominent in Seas.