Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

would

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
I'm also gonna have to make some sausage gravy now. Do you really just season it with salt and pepper?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Doc Walrus posted:

I might need to butter up a NY strip soon because of you people. For today though I've got a different project! I found some very very low sodium chicken broth at Target and I'm going to make a simple onion,garlic, and mushroom soup with it. And then fill up my 40oz thermos with it and pound that poo poo at work all day Monday. What seasonings should I use? I've got some coconut cream, should I make like a Thai-ish soup or use European herbs instead?

i mean. it's soup, homie. more to the point its your soup. put things that smell/taste good in it until it tastes good. light oil, fast sear your ingredients, fresh herbs at the end, deglaze with Enough broth, season to taste if you think it needs it.

fwiw i wouldn't go thai unless you had some spicy peppers and/or citrus to cut through the fatty fat fat fat of the coconut milk.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
You could go the Asian route, and then you would want the coconut, maybe some ginger, lemongrass, chili, cilantro, and/or lime juice.

Or if you go the European route you could use some thyme, rosemary, and/or parsley.

European seasonings tend to be on the bitter side of the spectrum, which makes the dishes taste hardier and more filling, IMO, but harder to consume a lot of. If I had to pick an all-day soup it would probably be a lighter and brighter one, but then again those match better with summer weather, and a hardy soup is the best thing in winter

Soup rules

twoday
May 4, 2005

A Tom Kha soup is awesome and easy to make but it's an elaborate balance of flavors (spicy chili, sour lime, coconut fat, maybe some brown sugar, salty fish sauce, umami broth)

One strategy that is employed in certain Asian dishes is to have it hit pretty much every major flavor note at once

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
Yeah I don't have chilis or lemongrass so I'll take the European route, I guess.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Doc Walrus posted:

I'm also gonna have to make some sausage gravy now. Do you really just season it with salt and pepper?

you season it with whatever you want, but yes, you mostly just let the sausage do the talking and stick with s+p

i really REALLY hate recipes beyond the general guideline stage partially because cooking broke my brain a lot and so when someone asks for my "recipe" for like, salsa verde, or chicken thighs roasted on root veggies i get vietnam flashbacks to a whole lot of stressful traumatic Bull poo poo and everything's recipe comes down to

1) put it in at a time for a time
2) don't burn it, make it nice, i dont care
3) shut the gently caress uiop

and people gently caress themselves up trying for some kind of "authenticity" or whatever, that never really exists. cooking is like 50% using enough salt, 40% using a balance of ingredients and aromatics in such an order that they're neither raw (unless you want that) nor cooked to gently caress, and 10% weird fussy technique poo poo that actually isn't that big a deal because most of it is chefs hyping themselves up.

twoday
May 4, 2005

I think it would work without chili and lemongrass if you got the other stuff, the lime also cuts the fat a bit

twoday
May 4, 2005

I wonder how traditional soups in Africa, the Americas or Australasia are seasoned

Maybe I'll pick one of those for the colonialism cooking challenge

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
esp. with fish sauce in there, that's gonna be a lot without some heat--even if its like, ginger or sth--and while i dig the decadent appeal of All The Savor you're gonna want something to balance sweet+salt.

twoday posted:

I wonder how traditional soups in Africa, the Americas or Australasia are seasoned

Maybe I'll pick one of those for the colonialism cooking challenge

setting aside Authentic Ethnic pissing matches, literally the exact same except the regionally-available ingredients have slightly different flavor profiles.

latin chiles, serranos or habaneros for instance, are extremely forward on the palate in both that their spice is fairly immediate and felt toward the front of the tongue and on the lips. african baklouti chiles on the other hand have a delayed onset to them and linger on the back of your tongue for a bit longer.

you can make a granita with mango and achiote and its "yucatan" or mango and ginger for "asian" and they'll both be the same fundamental idea of a sweet fruit elevated by a zingy spicy tart thing but using ingredients with differing regional availability.

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe
turmh?

trupon

tipr

TRUUUHUHHU! TRUUUHUHUHUHUUUUU

thrummmp

truhh

turmo

turh

tskrrrra

trapow trombbro

lmao tgrund

thrip

rtomp

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

im really turned off by all these fancy meals cooked on gorgeous countertops

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
^^^ i have good news in this post

like, people asked me the "recipe" to this

and i just kinda stuttered and stammered for a second because like, uhhh. gently caress dude. i actually do not know how to answer that not like a dick. the veggies have been coated in oil and salt? i just tossed em around until they all had a little on them? i guess i put cayenne and paprika and garlic and s+p on the chicken. then... i.... cooked it? until it was done, and then finished it under a broiler till the skin was crisp. and the chicken juice went into the veggies, so that seasoned them and then i slopped it onto a plate, getting it over the rim like a savage, and ate.

like, i am really, sincerely trying not to be a shithead but that's the actual gods-honest recipe.

i guess if you really want to get into the nuts and bolts of it i reserved whatever juice was in the roasting pan and used it, plus the stock i made with the chicken bones, to make a stew later in the week. so there's that, if you wanna get super into it.

like okay you wanna make biscuits and gravy. maybe you have a craving, maybe you have company that stayed overnight and you wanna be a good host. okay heres the 10% technique, you ready? physically remove the pan from the heat and stir to cool your pan if its getting too hot okay that's it thats 100% of the actual skill of this, try not to have too much fun on the way to the james beard awards

--------------------------------

--get a pan ripping hot and throw your sausage in, get that fat rendering out. don't burn it. if the pan gets too hot take it off the heat and stir and the remaining fat'll deglaze the bits on the bottom. if you aren't using prebaked biscuits they should be baking now.
--when the sausage is sitting in a pool of its juices and foaming away, throw in Enough flour to make a roux. add it a little at a time while stirring until you find out what enough is. you want a nice robust pasty texture, not soupy juice, not stiff. other posters say not to toast the roux, i say i like it with some color on it, those other posters will call me carpetbagging yankee trash, which is factually accurate IRL. in summary: don't sweat it if the roux cooks, its roux. its supposed to be loving brown. IMO. when your roux is Good, add milk, keep the heat up until the milk is Hot Milk, then bring the heat down so your milk doesn't boil. let that ride until its done. if its too thick add milk, if its too thin, cook it longer.
--separate some egg yolks, hold the egg whites for later use IMO but i'm not your real dad so live your best life, while your Hot Milk does its poo poo on the side start up a pan with a little oil in it, and a burner straight up, nothing on it. when the oil's to temp throw in asparagus with a little seasoning. sautee it until its cooked.
--with your egg yolks in a bowl do this, but instead of bearnaise which is more prep-heavy, you're making hollendaise which is just yolk, lemon juice, and butter and s+p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VxgatSjVQE&t=352s

please note the lack of quantities. the quantities are: yolks until they exist, lots of butter, acid till its tart, more butter and more heat until its emulsified, season to taste.

--stirring stirring stirring, your asparagus is probably close, dont burn it. your gravy is probably pretty thick, don't burn it. your biscuits are probably close in the oven and if not then put them in the toaster but in either case don't burn them. take poo poo off the heat to cool 'em because you can always make it hotter, stir stir stir. when the gravy is where you want it, texturally, season it until it tastes good.
--okay its done. your gravy's cooked, your hollendaise is thick, your asparagus is nicely seared, your biscuits are hot, throw that poo poo on a plate and put the relevant saucy slops on the appropriate foods. finish with a sprinkle of herbs or cayenne or some poo poo to be all cheffy about it. done. this takes literally 15 minutes tops and no measuring unless you're also scratch-making biscuits and all you did was just throw things down and not burn them and the most technical part of it was not burning the asparagus as you stirred TartEggButter.

Willie Tomg has issued a correction as of 02:21 on Feb 11, 2019

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Duscat posted:

turmh?

trupon

tipr

TRUUUHUHHU! TRUUUHUHUHUHUUUUU

thrummmp

truhh

turmo

turh

tskrrrra

trapow trombbro

lmao tgrund

thrip

rtomp

TRUMMMAOPP

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Recipes in the medieval era were like that, because they could assume everyone reading it was a chef by profession and had undergone apprenticeship, etc. Peasant cooks were basically to a woman illiterate

Can't assume that nowadays.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I've only ever worked off a recipe a handful of times in my life, all baking stuff of course

Whenever someone asks me how I made something it involves lots of uhhhhhs and thinking back to what I did and best guessing amounts of things

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Willie Tomg posted:

^^^ i have good news in this post

like, people asked me the "recipe" to this

and i just kinda stuttered and stammered for a second because like, uhhh. gently caress dude. i actually do not know how to answer that not like a dick. the veggies have been coated in oil and salt? i just tossed em around until they all had a little on them? i guess i put cayenne and paprika and garlic and s+p on the chicken. then... i.... cooked it? until it was done, and then finished it under a broiler till the skin was crisp. and the chicken juice went into the veggies, so that seasoned them and then i slopped it onto a plate, getting it over the rim like a savage, and ate.

like, i am really, sincerely trying not to be a shithead but that's the actual gods-honest recipe.

i guess if you really want to get into the nuts and bolts of it i reserved whatever juice was in the roasting pan and used it, plus the stock i made with the chicken bones, to make a stew later in the week. so there's that, if you wanna get super into it.

like okay you wanna make biscuits and gravy. maybe you have a craving, maybe you have company that stayed overnight and you wanna be a good host. okay heres the 10% technique, you ready? physically remove the pan from the heat and stir to cool your pan if its getting too hot okay that's it thats 100% of the actual skill of this, try not to have too much fun on the way to the james beard awards

--------------------------------

--get a pan ripping hot and throw your sausage in, get that fat rendering out. don't burn it. if the pan gets too hot take it off the heat and stir and the remaining fat'll deglaze the bits on the bottom. if you aren't using prebaked biscuits they should be baking now.
--when the sausage is sitting in a pool of its juices and foaming away, throw in Enough flour to make a roux. add it a little at a time while stirring until you find out what enough is. you want a nice robust pasty texture, not soupy juice, not stiff. other posters say not to toast the roux, i say i like it with some color on it, those other posters will call me carpetbagging yankee trash, which is factually accurate IRL. in summary: don't sweat it if the roux cooks, its roux. its supposed to be loving brown. IMO. when your roux is Good, add milk, keep the heat up until the milk is Hot Milk, then bring the heat down so your milk doesn't boil. let that ride until its done. if its too thick add milk, if its too thin, cook it longer.
--separate some egg yolks, hold the egg whites for later use IMO but i'm not your real dad so live your best life, while your Hot Milk does its poo poo on the side start up a pan with a little oil in it, and a burner straight up, nothing on it. when the oil's to temp throw in asparagus with a little seasoning. sautee it until its cooked.
--with your egg whites in a bowl do this, but instead of bearnaise which is more prep-heavy, you're making hollendaise which is just yolk, lemon juice, and butter and s+p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VxgatSjVQE&t=352s

please note the lack of quantities. the quantities are: yolks until they exist, lots of butter, acid till its tart, more butter and more heat until its emulsified, season to taste.

--stirring stirring stirring, your asparagus is probably close, dont burn it. your gravy is probably pretty thick, don't burn it. your biscuits are probably close in the oven and if not then put them in the toaster but in either case don't burn them. take poo poo off the heat to cool 'em because you can always make it hotter, stir stir stir. when the gravy is where you want it, texturally, season it until it tastes good.
--okay its done. your gravy's cooked, your hollendaise is thick, your asparagus is nicely seared, your biscuits are hot, throw that poo poo on a plate and put the relevant saucy slops on the appropriate foods. finish with a sprinkle of herbs or cayenne or some poo poo to be all cheffy about it. done. this takes literally 15 minutes tops and no measuring unless you're also scratch-making biscuits and all you did was just throw things down and not burn them and the most technical part of it was not burning the asparagus as you stirred TartEggButter.

now thats what im talking about

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Epic High Five posted:

I've only ever worked off a recipe a handful of times in my life, all baking stuff of course

Whenever someone asks me how I made something it involves lots of uhhhhhs and thinking back to what I did and best guessing amounts of things

You really need to follow directions in baking, or at least very precisely quantify what you're using. In cooking it's much easier to go by feel and taste, though I do like to at least memorize what goes into a given dish, even if I don't know exactly how much I need of everything.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

baking sucks rear end, if you want to be a half decent baker, you have to waste a shitload of ingredients making bad bread etc

e: this is because baking has a heavy mechanical component, you have to knead enough but not too much, you need to let it rise enough, you need to bake it enough but not too much

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Counterpoint: baking owns and so long as you're just making some basic bread you don't need to be measuring things all that carefully. Yeah you'll gently caress up a few times when starting out but the same is true for anything.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Recipes in the medieval era were like that, because they could assume everyone reading it was a chef by profession and had undergone apprenticeship, etc. Peasant cooks were basically to a woman illiterate

Can't assume that nowadays.

they didn't do that because of literacy, they did it because there were few/no standards of measure and no quality control for ingredients, (and also no thermometers lol)so Results were the only metric you had to figure out if your pottage was done or whatever, you can still convey technique and ideas like "done-ness" even absent the fundamental concept of like a tablespoon or a gram or whatever. cooking didn't really become more elaborate in the last 700 years beyond a greater possible combination of ingredients thanks to trade/colonialism, and in the last century the proliferation of processed foods making people think cooking is wizardry. you don't need to be an apprentice to make a properly seasoned cream sauce. stop letting food blogs paralyze you into thinking Fussiness is what makes good food, friend.

Willie Tomg has issued a correction as of 02:00 on Feb 11, 2019

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

C-Euro posted:

You really need to follow directions in baking, or at least very precisely quantify what you're using. In cooking it's much easier to go by feel and taste, though I do like to at least memorize what goes into a given dish, even if I don't know exactly how much I need of everything.

Ya it's why I don't bake lol

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
My point was, the results you would expect from a recipe couldn't be conveyed with pictures and poo poo, so you would have to have known

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I don't bake a lot because I always just end up making sweets and I don't need any more junk food lying around!

My mom however claims to have an old bread maker that she wants to give me next time we see other, I wouldn't mind getting into bread.

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

lmao i've been trying to find this again but google was no help

thank you

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

C-Euro posted:

I don't bake a lot because I always just end up making sweets and I don't need any more junk food lying around!

My mom however claims to have an old bread maker that she wants to give me next time we see other, I wouldn't mind getting into bread.

bread makers own for making almost zero effort pizzas, i had one that would give you a perfectly kneaded dough in 1 hour 6 minutes exactly, just roll that thing out and top with crap, i wish it hadn't broken

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
It takes like 10 minutes to knead a pizza dough by hand.

Baking definitely suffers from the same mystique as cooking does and people think you need to be measuring things to the microgram/second. That might be the case for fancier stuff but people have been making bread for ages without kitchen scales and whatnot.

Only reason I don't bake much these days is because I don't have a proper freezer so I can't really do large batches.

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe
oh yeah this should probably also go in here, being the drunkest pizza i ever made and also featuring biting social commentary in the form of me saying something about dogland trumgp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE4YcomWBww

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-8fMDL7f5I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w1xlfLTf7U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9ZW8C_AYMk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f42L3AWl7Sw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqzDcAQi6CI

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Duscat posted:

bread makers own for making almost zero effort pizzas, i had one that would give you a perfectly kneaded dough in 1 hour 6 minutes exactly, just roll that thing out and top with crap, i wish it hadn't broken

i'd argue that a nice set of knifes and a kitchen aid mixer are more important than anything else in a kitchen, including lights, running water...etc

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

Plinkey posted:

i'd argue that a nice set of knifes and a kitchen aid mixer are more important than anything else in a kitchen, including lights, running water...etc

yeah you don't need a rice cooker either but lmao if you don't have one

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Duscat posted:

yeah you don't need a rice cooker either but lmao if you don't have one

instant pot is the new rice cooker hotness

*sous vides a pizza in vodka*

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Duscat posted:

oh yeah this should probably also go in here, being the drunkest pizza i ever made and also featuring biting social commentary in the form of me saying something about dogland trumgp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE4YcomWBww

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-8fMDL7f5I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w1xlfLTf7U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9ZW8C_AYMk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f42L3AWl7Sw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqzDcAQi6CI

TRUMP

Also tomato paste in that canned sauce would probably help it taste/look less lovely.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
Yeah I probably am way too precise and neurotic when it comes to the idea of recipes, probably because it makes me so mad when I gently caress up a dish so I try to over-prepare. My soup turned out great though! I just seasoned it with herbs de provence, chives, salt, pepper, and a splash of fish oil.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Trump.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Doc Walrus posted:

Yeah I probably am way too precise and neurotic when it comes to the idea of recipes, probably because it makes me so mad when I gently caress up a dish so I try to over-prepare. My soup turned out great though! I just seasoned it with herbs de provence, chives, salt, pepper, and a splash of fish oil.

Jacques Pepin is talking to you. SPecificially to you. Right now. Through time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfWgZeDHgtY&t=24s

Your soup sounds great!

Willie Tomg has issued a correction as of 03:58 on Feb 11, 2019

twoday
May 4, 2005

Doc Walrus posted:

Tell me about this fish oil

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

pizza dough is insanely easy to make by hand

however, I would strangle a puppy for a large teal kitchenaid mixer

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

mike12345 posted:

are people creating "fake rice" from plastic waste? ffs

They aren't, it's a hoax spread by local rice producers in developing countries trying to get people to buy local rice instead of rice from china.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

even if you had free infinite plastic, i'm not sure you could make fake rice that's cheaper than real rice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

twoday posted:

Tell me about this fish oil

fish who don't live off the seafloor have lots of oil throughout their bouyant corpus. this oil is loving delicious--sardines being an otherwise trash fish rich in oil and poor in meat and thus being the platonic form of an oilfish--and can be extracted to lend a savor to dishes that don't have a whole lot of pop on their own. the addition of fish oil means in order to cut lovely Fish Smell you need to cancel out that fish oil with aromatics such as

garlic
onions
ginger
wine
strong herbs/spices
etcetera!

and before you ask me what the difference between an herb and a spice is; the difference is whether it was grown at the east or west of the silk road. i'm not kidding. thats literally it, thats the entire difference lol.

adding body to what is otherwise a mushroom + onion soup in storebought chicken broth is a highly pro move and should be encouraged.