Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

:downsbravo:

quote:

Luxury fashion brand Gucci has withdrawn a woollen jumper from sale after the item was criticised for "resembling blackface."
The black "balaclava jumper" covered the lower half of the face and featured a red cut-out around the mouth.
The item prompted a backlash on social media by users who claimed the design was offensive.
In a statement, Gucci apologised for any offence caused and said it would be removed from sale.
The brand said it would turn the incident "into a powerful learning moment for the Gucci team" and was committed to increasing diversity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

gently caress I wish that was a transparency.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

On one hand, gotta advertise your movie. On the other, do you use a promotional shot of the lead dragging a black guy around the same week he told us a tale of the time he got so mad he wanted to murder a random black person?

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
In the best timeline, Neeson killed a black person but it happened to be someone who was going to become a politician and they were actually just in blackface.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

There's really no good way to read this. Either they're saying that their vodka is poo poo that real connoisseurs wouldn't consider vodka, or that Russians are drunks. Either way it doesn't say anything positive about the brand.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

jobson groeth posted:

In the best timeline, Neeson killed a black person but it happened to be someone who was going to become a politician and they were actually just in blackface.

Neeson was a White man in a movie called Darkman so really we can expect the awkward wrap party pictures any day now.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

someone awful. posted:

Kinder eggs are absolutely sold in America, they're a different type than in Europe I think though because of our laws about having inedible things encased in food. The package is egg shaped and split down the middle, with one half having chocolate cream and some crunchy things and one half having the toy prize.

They're called Kinder Joys, and they were originally designed for hot climates where normal chocolate eggs would just melt too quickly. It was just coincidence the packaging that kept the toy included also happened to skirt the US FDA regulations about inedible items in food.

Which also yeah predates Kinder Eggs by a landslide. From the 30s or so, when you still had actual shysters putting genuinely poisonous poo poo as filler in food items.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Tiggum posted:

There's really no good way to read this. Either they're saying that their vodka is poo poo that real connoisseurs wouldn't consider vodka, or that Russians are drunks. Either way it doesn't say anything positive about the brand.

I think it's supposed to be "It's so popular in Russia, it's basically a daily staple." But that's not really less insulting.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

When Anthony Bourdain filmed an episode in Moscow he said they pretty much drank vodka instead of water

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Volcott posted:

On one hand, gotta advertise your movie. On the other, do you use a promotional shot of the lead dragging a black guy around the same week he told us a tale of the time he got so mad he wanted to murder a random black person?

That's not a black guy, it's this image, with a snow hat photoshopped onto the guy.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Volcott posted:

“He thinks killed his son” is also hilarious considering the details of that story.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

AFewBricksShy posted:

That's not a black guy, it's this image, with a snow hat photoshopped onto the guy.

That might make it even dumber, because they really made it look like a black guy. Quite the unforced error.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Volcott posted:

As I understand it, he told the story in the first place because he felt it personally related him to the theme of his film he was at that interview to promote.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Sir Lemming posted:

That might make it even dumber, because they really made it look like a black guy. Quite the unforced error.
It looks like a white guy with stubble.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Strudel Man posted:

It looks like a white guy with stubble.

It depends on the screen size. And it doesn't help that the lighting makes Neeson much lighter.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

It is ok to make a mistake.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I think we’ve all learned a valuable neeson here

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sir Lemming posted:

Goon prosopagnosia goes deeper than I thought.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

oldpainless posted:

I think we’ve all learned a valuable neeson here
Perhaps most of all Liam Neeson.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

hyperhazard posted:

I think it's supposed to be "It's so popular in Russia, it's basically a daily staple." But that's not really less insulting.

That one still basically boils down to "Russians are drunks."

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Can confirm. In rural Russia alcohol consumption is very casual. Like, it's perfectly normal to drink few shots with dinner. With your family. And when I say "shots" I mean you sip from 12 oz glass filled to the top. They made fun of me for drinking beer instead of vodka. Average life expectancy is something like 58, by the way.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I remember someone talking about an incident where (if I remember correctly) two guys spent the day just drinking an entire bottle of vodka, and then after one passed out the other decided to burn down the apartment to kill him because he raped his daughter before but he passes out himself trying to do it and accidentally kills everyone in the building.

This was presented as a normal occurrence in Russia.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I wasn’t alive in 1907 and Grape‐Nuts are still sold on every corner today, so it’s possible this this was a smart marketing move.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Mr. Grape Nut says ‘Leave it man it’s not worth it!

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm surprised "grape-nuts" isn't used more as an insult.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar
That dude's head looks oddly proportioned, maybe it's a side effect of all those grape nuts

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Billboard seen in Philly (I was driving so no photo)

Medical Malpractice
(Law Firm Name)
It's All We Do

There's got to be a better way to say that.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Are you sure they were a law firm and not a really bad but honest doctor? "Smith and Jenkins Surgery: We'll gently caress your treatment up, but we're cheap."

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar
Wait so if the Earth is the object doing the looking, where is it hoping to find brainy men?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Slippery posted:

Wait so if the Earth is the object doing the looking, where is it hoping to find brainy men?

People are stored in the globes

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Slippery posted:

Not fuckin here, that's for sure

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Picnic Princess posted:

Truth :(

That said I think we have a bigger problem here, I just noticed the globe is depicted as being in what I can only assume is our sky. What kind of miniature alien hell-Earth is surveilling us and why is Grape-Nuts abetting it's horrible works

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Decrepus posted:

People are stored in the globes

Globes of Betelgeuse or Alpha Centauri given where that thing's looking

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Picnic Princess posted:

Ohhh :nyd:

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Mu Zeta posted:

When Anthony Bourdain filmed an episode in Moscow he said they pretty much drank vodka instead of water

Alcohol in Russia is dirt cheap which means people consume a lot of it which means people are more likely to develop chemical dependencies on it. Like 90% of alcohol regulations in America have no point beyond making it more expensive and inconveneint to produce alcohol, so that its more expensive and inconvenient to become an alcoholic.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
https://twitter.com/jkotinek/status/1094232614658064386

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Au contraire, they are bang on describing the cops accurately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Nitrox posted:

Can confirm. In rural Russia alcohol consumption is very casual. Like, it's perfectly normal to drink few shots with dinner. With your family. And when I say "shots" I mean you sip from 12 oz glass filled to the top. They made fun of me for drinking beer instead of vodka. Average life expectancy is something like 58, by the way.

The Soviet Union implemented a form of semi-prohibition in the 80s for a few years where alcohol prices were increased and sales hours were reduced and so on. As a result, during that period life expectancy for men increased around 5 years, and for women it increased even more due to the reduction in domestic violence.

Meanwhile, Putin has reduced domestic violence rates in Russia by legalizing it. :downs: