Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

DebonaireD posted:

I think this is because of the move to physically based rendering, and yeah it sucks. It drives unity, unreal engine and others. Everything is shiny, everything has a diffuse glow to it and now all 3d games have that hazy post processed look to them. Every surface is just way too shiny, bumpy and fuzzy whether its spyro or battlefield it's all just a soupy mess.

Oh, I don't even mean that (although yes, that), but more like, first person shooters all look like first person shooters, there's a visual language goes with them. And, like, fine, a lot of it is because it's evolved and proven, but look at hotline Miami. It's not an immediately obvious "X-clone", and it has a style very much its own, to the point it basically kick started a sub culture. Maybe what I want is a modern art equivalent in games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

the gently caress is autochess

i mean yes because getting a cigarette put out in your eye is better than dota2 but what

Its a mod for Dota2 that turns it unto a multiple round short srpg ish game with some bidding elements. No actual relationship to chess.

For the record roughly a million people play it on steam versus the sub 1000 of valves own spinoff of dota

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Chess 3: No Kings No Masters

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

christmas boots posted:

Chess 3: No Kings No Masters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drahQ1_UdC0

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

More than anything quick scoping just shouldn't exist.

Or the tap quickly to fire faster with less recoil than full auto feature

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The opening of MGSV is so bad that it sapped my will to play the rest of the game and despite loving the rest of the series I, like Hideo Kojima, didn't bother to finish the game.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Barudak posted:

The opening of MGSV is so bad that it sapped my will to play the rest of the game and despite loving the rest of the series I, like Hideo Kojima, didn't bother to finish the game.

MGSV was my first and so far only game in the series. I bought it after seeing some stream play and thinking it looked really cool. Going through the opener, I worried I had made a terrible mistake and thrown my money away. But I fell in love with the game as soon I got let loose in Afghanistan.

So yes, it's a real bad opener and I don't think that opinion is unpopular.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Barudak posted:

So like reverse mgs2?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
the best MGS is MGS VR Missions

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hideo Kojima makes fun games with astonishingly bad design decisions in them

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

QuarkJets posted:

Hideo Kojima makes fun games with astonishingly bad design decisions in them

All of mgs4 was an astonishingly bad design decision.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

ditty bout my clitty posted:

11 hours of cutscenes

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Unless you like bums.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
King Koopa's talk of "religion of peace" would be a lot more believable if I didn't have to dodge his windmill of fire while jumping over his lava pit.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I really liked the last battle where the moves of each character cycles through the past games, along with the music, it was wonderful :3:

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

I really liked the last battle where the moves of each character cycles through the past games, along with the music, it was wonderful :3:

And the Rex vs Ray fight

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

And the Rex vs Ray fight

And the rest of the game (because it was fuckin sweet)

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I just found out Paper Mario is a kindof sequel to Mario RPG and holy poo poo I'm pumped to play it!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

No Geno no true sequel

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Super Metroid is the only good Metroid game.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Any Resident Evil game would instantly be made 40 000 times better if you made them play less resident evily and more like any old Doom-clone.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

bradzilla posted:

Return of Samus was good too.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

bradzilla posted:

the GBA one was good. Fusion I think?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I just found out Paper Mario is a kindof sequel to Mario RPG and holy poo poo I'm pumped to play it!

I have some good news and some bad news.

The good news is the first two paper marios are similar enough to Mario RPG and charming enough to carry you to the end despite their quirks and changes. The bad news is that the franchise just miserably nosedives in quality after the first 1.5 installments and the last 3 games arent going to scratch the mario RPG itch because they were redesigned to remove the core gameplay that people came to paper mario for because???

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Dead Space and Dead Space 2 are the best Resident Evil games ever made.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
super paper mario was great

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Resident evil 5 is really underrated and great fun in coop.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Doing the high-speed run and getting the unlimited rocket launcher is A+

And getting all the chicken eggs :3:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

I don't believe this is an unpopular opinion.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

bradzilla posted:

I genuinely don't get how someone who likes SM would not think Prime 1 is a good game.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Fusion and Zero Mission too. They weren't as good as SM but they were pretty great, and they refined the movement and feel of SM pretty well I think.

I still have Samus Returns in my backlog, but tbh that fan-made Metroid 2 remake was probably the closest thing to SM I've ever played, it was amazing.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

veni veni veni posted:

I genuinely don't get how someone who likes SM would not think Prime 1 is a good game.

It might be a good game but it's not metroid. real metroid games are 2d

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i don't really like the platforming in metroid, like metroid is way too tall so i'm always getting caught on the platforms above me or hitting the roof or whatever

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Caesar Saladin posted:

i don't really like the platforming in metroid, like metroid is way too tall

:chloe:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Rutibex posted:

It might be a good game but it's not metroid. real metroid games are 2d

By that logic virtually everything Nintendo has ever done post SNES doesn't qualify as "real" and the only ones that do are the kind of lovely ones like NSMB. And also A Link Between Worlds I guess, but that's a remake. That one is loving incredible though.

Prime hits every note that super metroid does and does almost everything even better. It's very much metroid.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

By that logic virtually everything Nintendo has ever done post SNES doesn't qualify as "real" and the only ones that do are the kind of lovely ones like NSMB. And also A Link Between Worlds I guess, but that's a remake. That one is loving incredible though.

Do you get paid for being wrong or something? Nintendo frequently publishes new 2D iterations of their classic titles, Metroid Fusion came out long after the SNES stopped being a thing

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

best metroid game is the onen with the backwards dracula and the smooth jazz ending theme

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

Do you get paid for being wrong or something? Nintendo frequently publishes new 2D iterations of their classic titles, Metroid Fusion came out long after the SNES stopped being a thing

Fusion was already discussed 3 posts up you stupid gently caress.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

best metroid game is the onen with the backwards dracula and the smooth jazz ending theme

i hate to be the bearer of bad news but i am the wind is no longer under license for re-releases so all the subsequent ports of the game don't have it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

The White Dragon posted:

i hate to be the bearer of bad news but i am the wind is no longer under license for re-releases so all the subsequent ports of the game don't have it

NOT MY SOTN