Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Phylodox posted:

“It’s pon farr night at the Vulcan nightclub.”

I think I love this episode.

gently caress or die friday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I imagine a Vulcan nightclub to be exactly like “Sprockets” from Saturday Night Live.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Phylodox posted:

“It’s pon farr night at the Vulcan nightclub.”

I think I love this episode.

Pon farr night sounds terrifying. Scads of Vulcans fighting, loving, and killing; maybe even in that order.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I did not like Samuel Clemens on TNG. Starting season 6 makes me somewhat sad because I know I've gone through the best seasons already. TNG is such an awesome show, I wish I'd gotten into Star Trek sooner. It's really nice that most of the Star Trek shows are currently on Netflix.

edit: Just realized Barclay is also on Voyager not DS9. I was excited for him on DS9. No idea if I'll ever try to watch Voyager.

One of the funniest moments of TNG is when Picard calls Barclay Broccoli

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Feb 11, 2019

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Phylodox posted:

I imagine a Vulcan nightclub to be exactly like “Sprockets” from Saturday Night Live.

Complete with the same sped up Kraftwerk track used in that segment.

Actually Vulcans would probably loving love Kraftwerk

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Oh, my god, I love the part where alien not-Ellen Tigh goes to kiss Chakotay and he’s all “ewewewOMGnothankyougrossgrossgross” and then realizes he’s kind of into it so he starts trying to suck the lips off her face.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CPColin posted:

I like how the difference maker in Yesterday's Enterprise is that the Enterprise-C takes a little longer to blow up versus apparently blowing up immediately.

I got the impression that in the YE timeline the outpost basically got obliterated with no responsible party found, whilst with the C there for longer survivors were able to make it out or the outpost was able to reach Klingon HQ or something.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Pon farr night sounds terrifying. Scads of Vulcans fighting, loving, and killing; maybe even in that order.

The Purge franchise will get there eventually if they keep up the pace they're on.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Spacebump posted:

I did not like Samuel Clemens on TNG. Starting season 6 makes me somewhat sad because I know I've gone through the best seasons already. TNG is such an awesome show, I wish I'd gotten into Star Trek sooner. It's really nice that most of the Star Trek shows are currently on Netflix.

edit: Just realized Barclay is also on Voyager not DS9. I was excited for him on DS9. No idea if I'll ever try to watch Voyager.

One of the funniest moments of TNG is when Picard calls Barclay Broccoli

Start of Season 7 TNG which was mediocre at best.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Keiko is actually good.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pinterest Mom posted:

Keiko is actually good.

I meant to just quote this in support, but I think I may have sent the report to the mods

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

MikeJF posted:

I got the impression that in the YE timeline the outpost basically got obliterated with no responsible party found, whilst with the C there for longer survivors were able to make it out or the outpost was able to reach Klingon HQ or something.

Plus there should have at least been a bunch of C wreckage. Otherwise the Klingons would at best assume the C just wussed out and ran away and at worst would think the C destroyed the base themselves (not knowing the C was even there is somewhere in the middle).

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug
I just re-watched The Inner Light. I know it's been said a lot, but that episode is breathtaking. The ending still made me tear up.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

I just re-watched The Inner Light. I know it's been said a lot, but that episode is breathtaking. The ending still made me tear up.

he carries them with him they are remembered

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

lol but seriously I posted:

he carries them with him they are remembered

Until he dies. They really should have set that thing to go off more than once...

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Until he dies. They really should have set that thing to go off more than once...

Put it in an arcade, let people compete to have the best life as Kamin.

(Tip: Don't go back to the carpet store.)

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

It's in his captain's log now at least!

teamcharlie
Dec 9, 2012

The Kataan people barely had a space program. The fact that the satellite even worked once (an adaptive program that Picard's brain can interact with directly running at about a million times real time speed feeding around fifty years of legible data into the brain of an alien species it had never met before in a matter of twenty minutes all powered by an energy source that lasted without maintenance for a thousand years) is nothing short of miraculous, and frankly speaks volumes about what kind of insane spy agencies that society must have had (unless you can think of another reason why an apparently agrarian society needs that level of mind control tech).

They remind me of those aliens (Jatravartids, if you wanna get technical) from the Hitchhiker's Guide universe who invented aerosol deoderant before the wheel.

Granted, I'd probably forgive them the stupid premise if the episode itself wasn't so Goddamn sickly sweet, but I loving hate watching The Inner Light so I don't cut it any slack.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I thought it was a decent episode, that would have had huge implications if TNG was a contemporary show, but since it is not the only lasting effect of a lifetime of experiences is that Picard picks up a flute now and again.

I hope the new Picard show (if it is still a thing) will go into the psychological ramifications of Picard having had his brain rewired by aliens more than once, with a nice big torture cherry on top.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Given that a big part of Picard's character was his archeological bent, it'd be great if his retirement from Starfleet has involved that and he leads dig teams on the Inner Light planet. It'd be a great callback as well as a good way to have moved the character on.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Festival! Festival! Landru guide us.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Biomute posted:

I thought it was a decent episode, that would have had huge implications if TNG was a contemporary show, but since it is not the only lasting effect of a lifetime of experiences is that Picard picks up a flute now and again.

I hope the new Picard show (if it is still a thing) will go into the psychological ramifications of Picard having had his brain rewired by aliens more than once, with a nice big torture cherry on top.

Let me guess, you're a Discovery fan.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Let me guess, you're a Discovery fan.

No, I hate it.

TNG>>>DS9>TOS>>ENT>VOY>>>STD

TNG is the best show, but just because I love the serialized format that does not excuse the silly hoops it jumps through to have everything go back to normal for the next episode, nor the missed opportunities for character development.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Feb 11, 2019

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

MikeJF posted:

Given that a big part of Picard's character was his archeological bent, it'd be great if his retirement from Starfleet has involved that and he leads dig teams on the Inner Light planet. It'd be a great callback as well as a good way to have moved the character on.

I'd imagine an archaeological dig on that planet would be very difficult due to the lack of things like air and light.

That's even assuming there's any planet left. I don't know what a nova does to a planet, but in Star Trek science it probably isn't good.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Imagine.. a fleet of Prometheuses?

Multi-vector attack gonna get confusing if multiple Pros attack someone.. "Hey these aren't my warp engines"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Binary Badger posted:

Multi-vector attack gonna get confusing if multiple Pros attack someone.. "Hey these aren't my warp engines"

Just wait til they activate combination mode!

...suddenly realising the Prometheus is basically the Great Commander from Star Fox. Sadly lacking the robot mode as far as I know.

(context: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2kjkUOqa7w)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Just wait til they activate combination mode!

...suddenly realising the Prometheus is basically the Great Commander from Star Fox. Sadly lacking the robot mode as far as I know.

(context: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2kjkUOqa7w)

Star Fox really, really doesn't hold up anymore (that framerate :gonk:) but it's still an amazing technical achievement for its time.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Binary Badger posted:

Eugh, no thanks.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Man, late-90s Trek really went all-in with the trowel-headed Starfleet ships, huh?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Man, late-90s Trek really went all-in with the trowel-headed Starfleet ships, huh?

Rick Sternbach and John loving Eaves just absolutely loved that look for some reason.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Biomute posted:

In my opinion, if you don’t desperately want the Picard show to be a lot of old man crying and confusion like the ep with his brother or the good parts of All Good Things then you are a fool. I hope there’s not even a starship in it, and I hope it’s completely full of wistful tin whistling.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
do you guys think it will have okudagrams lol

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
the ep with his brother was good

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Drunkboxer posted:

In my opinion, if you don’t desperately want the Picard show to be a lot of old man crying and confusion like the ep with his brother or the good parts of All Good Things then you are a fool. I hope there’s not even a starship in it, and I hope it’s completely full of wistful tin whistling.

New Picard show will be 13 episodes of Picard sitting in a chair dressed in a bathrobe moaning about 'four lights'
At the end Q wheels him into old folks home full of bronies and winks at the audience

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

New Picard show will be 13 episodes of Picard sitting in a chair dressed in a bathrobe moaning about 'four lights'
At the end Q wheels him into old folks home full of bronies and winks at the audience

Sisko’s in the corner, babbling about Buck Bokai and scat singing to unheard jazz music, driven mad by his hubristic attempt to live as a space god.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Drunkboxer posted:

Sisko’s in the corner, babbling about Buck Bokai and scat singing to unheard jazz music, driven mad by his hubristic attempt to live as a space god.

Janeway's in another corner, totally catatonic. She's been that way for years. Brain scans indicate she's completely lost in a fantasy world of her own creation. Nobody knows what it's about, but she occasionally slurs out nonsense words like "kayzon" or "knee-licks", or sometimes real words like "seven" or "voyager", but no one knows what those mean.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Watching “Infinite Regress” and it’s fun to get to see Jeri Ryan actually act for a change. She makes an unsettlingly good Ferengi.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began

Binary Badger posted:

Considering it's apparently in the Prime universe and 25% different there were actually only three and Dukat broke him.

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009

Drunkboxer posted:

Benny Russell's in the other corner scribbling on the walls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Reset Smith posted:

Benny Russell's in the other corner scribbling on the walls

It's SURREAL!!!