Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Oh gently caress, something bad happened to The Dark Spectacled Admiral? :smith: that sucks.

He failed. Everything after that was just salt in the wound.

Skies, in several respects, is a future that should not come to pass. It sucks. A lot.

For example, the Captivating/Incognito Princess? she is the daughter of an undead Prince and a Queen who made a deal with Curators and a Messenger, neither of whom really comprehended human biology or souls, to have both lives extended. her siblings were born human and slowly, horribly transformed by the bargain mom made for herself and hers- the Princess was a creature from beyond the laws of the Judgements from moment one, perfectly and terribly adapted to command that which lies beyond the edge of light.

and Skies is bad enough that THAT has a top priority of hitching a ride on the first engine she sees and peacing the gently caress out asap, because sitting around waiting to pick up the pieces after momma's dominion inevitably falls apart holds zero appeal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I've gone through all of Hybras three times now and always had the same end, is the outcome always that the residents move to Parabola with the Fingerkings? because I've yet to have another outcome and I'm wondering if that's luck, writing or some missed choice?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

TGG posted:

I've gone through all of Hybras three times now and always had the same end, is the outcome always that the residents move to Parabola with the Fingerkings? because I've yet to have another outcome and I'm wondering if that's luck, writing or some missed choice?

In the beta version I got a super creepy ending where all the residents were absorbed by the fungus, but I have no idea what triggered it or if it's even still in the game.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

In the beta version I got a super creepy ending where all the residents were absorbed by the fungus, but I have no idea what triggered it or if it's even still in the game.

I got that just now. I seemingly made no decisions so I dunno what could have caused it.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I think for each legacy there's an airs of Hybras quality you gain when you pick up the investigator that determines which version of the story you get. I think these persistent quests per legacy really hurt the game; there are alternative stories you can only experience by completely starting over (and even then you're not guaranteed to get the alternative story), defeating the purpose of legacies in the first place.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I'll admit my three runs were all throughout different saves between beta patches so I'm not exactly working off updated info. I started a new save for release even though I didn't have to and it's been wonderful having a super approachable Magdalene's Polmear combo super closely spawned to New Winchester. An easy pair of port reports, frequent deals buying and selling and nice long profitable quests. The Reach truly has improved a ton since it's beginning. Slowly working my way back to my pre release glory days, hoping the Blue Kingdom isn't as bad as I hear it is.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

For example, the Captivating/Incognito Princess? she is the daughter of an undead Prince and a Queen who made a deal with Curators and a Messenger, neither of whom really comprehended human biology or souls, to have both lives extended. her siblings were born human and slowly, horribly transformed by the bargain mom made for herself and hers- the Princess was a creature from beyond the laws of the Judgements from moment one, perfectly and terribly adapted to command that which lies beyond the edge of light.

Can someone pls spoil me or link to something on the royal children situations? And possibly Albert? I never got far enough in Fallen London and curious about whats up with them.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Blue Kingdom and permanent stat loss is getting me down, if you decide not to lose 5 hearts after getting a shovel enjoy being kicked all the way epheremal -> yoked -> antedeceased -> invisible.

I wouldn't mind stat loss except when it makes half my train equipment not work any more. And doing all that again is gonna be lame.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
The blue kingdom has some of the most interesting writing and is also a series of corridors filled with horrible kill-monsters. Once you have something capable of rendering them into annoyances and not threats, the place becomes much better.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

xiw posted:

Blue Kingdom and permanent stat loss is getting me down, if you decide not to lose 5 hearts after getting a shovel enjoy being kicked all the way epheremal -> yoked -> antedeceased -> invisible.

I wouldn't mind stat loss except when it makes half my train equipment not work any more. And doing all that again is gonna be lame.

You can reclaim your lost stats, for a price, once you leave the catafalque.

Re the Empress’ family situation, it’s dealt with in Fallen London in the story “The Gift”, which costs real money and so Failbetter frowns upon sharing its contents verbatim. You can get a summary of the family here, though: https://thefifthcity.fandom.com/wiki/The_Shuttered_Palace_and_the_Empress%27_Court (spoilers obviously)

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

This game's got pretty good stories overall but it's a disaster as far as gameplay is concerned. If it wasn't so slow and needlessly restrictive with stats and equipment it'd be a lot better.

I was willing to look past the problems with Sunless Sea, with the slowness being more of a caveat, but Sunless Skies aggressively refused to learn from what I consider Sea's mistakes.

super sweet best pal fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Feb 11, 2019

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

gently caress those cantankerous fish, man

I was going to leave your drat lawn until u tried to loving murder me

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

super sweet best pal posted:

This game's got pretty good stories overall but it's a disaster as far as gameplay is concerned. If it wasn't so slow and needlessly restrictive with stats and equipment it'd be a lot better.

I was willing to look past the problems with Sunless Sea, with the slowness being more of a caveat, but Sunless Skies aggressively refused to learn from what I consider Sea's mistakes.

Yeah, I dunno. I got done with most of the stuff in Albion, and I should be setting up to go to Eleuthruria and the Blue Kingdom, but I'm getting really tired of the game's formula of "we gave you a paragraph of writing, now go do busywork for fifteen minutes and we'll give you the next paragraph", occasionally interspersed with "oh, and this busywork is frustrating and you'll have to save-scum", and I can't shake the expectation that moving to the next area will be a lot of frustrating save-scumming, so I've kind of given up.

It doesn't help that, a) as someone who didn't play much of FE, so much of the later writing seems to be Proper Nouns without context followed by implications and between the lines reading you must do with that completely bounce off me that I'm finding most of the results actually disinteresting; b) most plots seem to be "do several hours of work to end up having to make a single choice with nothing other than vague feelings to guide you, and your decision invariably is wrong and bad" which is fine once or twice but as the result of everything is really just unfun; and c) most of the good equipment and weapons are gated behind 75 loving stat points and at level 14 I've barely got one above 50 and the results of quests seems to be removing stats because the game hates me.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Locomotive speed is indeed a serious problem creating unnecessary tedium. Together with some other gamplay decisions such as having to fly back to Winchester (I'm still in the wilds) to repair hull the whole flow is much worse than it could have been.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

skeleton warrior posted:

Yeah, I dunno. I got done with most of the stuff in Albion, and I should be setting up to go to Eleuthruria and the Blue Kingdom, but I'm getting really tired of the game's formula of "we gave you a paragraph of writing, now go do busywork for fifteen minutes and we'll give you the next paragraph", occasionally interspersed with "oh, and this busywork is frustrating and you'll have to save-scum", and I can't shake the expectation that moving to the next area will be a lot of frustrating save-scumming, so I've kind of given up.

It doesn't help that, a) as someone who didn't play much of FE, so much of the later writing seems to be Proper Nouns without context followed by implications and between the lines reading you must do with that completely bounce off me that I'm finding most of the results actually disinteresting; b) most plots seem to be "do several hours of work to end up having to make a single choice with nothing other than vague feelings to guide you, and your decision invariably is wrong and bad" which is fine once or twice but as the result of everything is really just unfun; and c) most of the good equipment and weapons are gated behind 75 loving stat points and at level 14 I've barely got one above 50 and the results of quests seems to be removing stats because the game hates me.

quote:

Locomotive speed is indeed a serious problem creating unnecessary tedium. Together with some other gameplay decisions such as having to fly back to Winchester (I'm still in the wilds) to repair hull the whole flow is much worse than it could have been.

It seems I will end up doing the same than with Seas, and play a modded version!

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
I ended up using CheatEngine to speed up the locomotive by like 150% and things were much better, but yeah the stat gated weapons are terrible.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Sekenr posted:

Can someone pls spoil me or link to something on the royal children situations? And possibly Albert? I never got far enough in Fallen London and curious about whats up with them.

Long story short: they did red honey, a LOT of red honey, and red honey is a hellava drug that does VERY strange things to your body if you do enough of it.

Here's a family portrait of all of them:

http://deepdarkmarvellous.tumblr.com/post/119725512979/aethergeologist-this-painting-comissioned-for#notes

Of course in Sunless Skies they all appear to have found a way to become human again. I'm not sure how, but I'm sure it came at a terrible price much like everything else the royal family does.

Edit:

Oh! I forgot to talk about Alfred! Yeah his problem isn't red honey, he's just a straight up zombie. Queen Victoria made a deal with the masters to bring him back to life in exchange for bringing London underground and it worked....kind of.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Feb 11, 2019

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Long story short: they did red honey, a LOT of red honey, and red honey is a hellava drug that does VERY strange things to your body if you do enough of it.

Here's a family portrait of all of them:

http://deepdarkmarvellous.tumblr.com/post/119725512979/aethergeologist-this-painting-comissioned-for#notes

Note that there are ten people in that picture. For a given value of "people"

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Mad Wack posted:

I ended up using CheatEngine to speed up the locomotive by like 150% and things were much better, but yeah the stat gated weapons are terrible.

How do you use the speed cheat in cheatengine? I'm a baby with this stuff.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jarvisi posted:

How do you use the speed cheat in cheatengine? I'm a baby with this stuff.

There should be a button off to the right side labeled 'Enable speedhack'. Just tick that; the 1.0 that should be displayed under it then represents 100% speed- change that 10 1.5 for 150% speed etc.

Anyway, are Curators the species that the Masters of the Bazaar are?! Holy poo poo, I've been farming those bastards and their eggs! What happened to the Old Masters then? Did Queen Victoria run them over with a train and that's why Albert's... dead? I guess?

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 11, 2019

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

CommissarMega posted:

Anyway, are Curators the species that the Masters of the Bazaar are?! Holy poo poo, I've been farming those bastards and their eggs! What happened to the Old Masters then? Did Queen Victoria run them over with a train and that's why Albert's... dead? I guess?

Yes, the curators are indeed the same species as the masters (You can actually have a rare chance of getting a baby version of the same space crab species that the Bazaar is as a mascot if you allow the eggs to hatch). I don't know what happened to the Masters though, or the Bazaar for that matter. I'm not sure it's ever stated in game?

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 11, 2019

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Yes, the curators are indeed the same species as the masters (You can actually have a rare chance of getting a baby version of the same space crab species that the Bazaar is as a mascot if you allow the eggs to hatch). I don't know what happened to the Masters though, or the Bazaar for that matter. I'm not sure it's ever sated in game?

I’m not 100% certain, but I’m pretty sure the New Sequencers killed them with the Clockwork Sun and used that to get Victoria’s backing for their plans.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Yes, the curators are indeed the same species as the masters (You can actually have a rare chance of getting a baby version of the same space crab species that the Bazaar is as a mascot if you allow the eggs to hatch). I don't know what happened to the Masters though, or the Bazaar for that matter. I'm not sure it's ever stated in game?

The fact that the fate of the Bazaar and the Masters is absolutely, 100%, just never referenced anywhere (as far as I can tell) is honestly far more chilling then an explanation of what happened could ever be.

And frankly we can figure out what happened just by the shape of the absence. There's no way whatsoever the Bazaar would have been fine with London leaving the Neath, but leave they did. And now they're an empire with control over time, with the power to murder a natural Judgement and then stick an artificial one in the sky in it's place. You don't really need the details of the intermediate steps.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I guess its ultimate fate is up to us to decide in FL if they ever finish it.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Meiteron posted:

And frankly we can figure out what happened just by the shape of the absence. There's no way whatsoever the Bazaar would have been fine with London leaving the Neath, but leave they did. And now they're an empire with control over time, with the power to murder a natural Judgement and then stick an artificial one in the sky in it's place. You don't really need the details of the intermediate steps.
Well, [Aunt spoilers]we don’t actually know what killed Albion’s judgement.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

BBJoey posted:

Spoilers for the same story, Vicky implies that another Judgement helped them do it. The Truth Ambition goes into more detail on this sort of thing in the abstract, no idea if it actually relates back to Albion's judgement specifically.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

BBJoey posted:

it was most likely the Halved, it's pissed and it's coming for every star in the sky.

Edit:

Sinner Sandwich posted:

Spoilers for the same story, Vicky implies that another Judgement helped them do it. The Truth Ambition goes into more detail on this sort of thing in the abstract, no idea if it actually relates back to Albion's judgement specifically.

Oh yeah, that definitely sounds like the Halved's doing.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Well I just wasted a moment of inspiration because there's no indication whether the 15 days needed for the Sun's Daughter have passed or not. Moments aren't as scarce as they used to be but they're still my primary bottleneck so that sucks

e: I was one day early

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 12, 2019

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

skeleton warrior posted:

This is how I feel. I've played 28 hours now and while I did enjoy it I guess I've felt like I've not really got any clue as to what's going on (after fully exploring everywhere other than the blue kingdom) even though I've played Fallen London and Sunless Seas.
I keep finishing stories and going "...oh" because it just didn't feel worth the effort. When I got to Eleuthruria and so many stories had so many screens to click through without me knowing if it was doing anything is where I basically gave up. The big prison spot was my final bit, it was just too much.

It doesn't help that I can't react fast enough to the combat and always end up losing tonnes of hull, I always strafe in the wrong direction. I spent so long flying around with like 15 hull left all through the game because I hate the way you get it fixed, meaning I end up avoiding tonnes of conflicts. It doesn't help that almost every enemy isn't really worth killing.

While when I started I was really excited for the 4 areas I've realised now it's just too much. Getting a quest to go from say Pan to Floating Parliament can absolutely just gently caress off, it takes too long and requires too much faffing on my part.

Seas took longer to get going that's true but I definitely felt like I had more understanding of the stories it was telling me and more investment in how it was going.

Taear fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 12, 2019

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

How do you get the Perfect Pangolin? I think it's supposed to be at Langley Hall, but I've never seen the option to pick it up there.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

How do you get the Perfect Pangolin? I think it's supposed to be at Langley Hall, but I've never seen the option to pick it up there.

There's an option there somewhere where people are playing with a pangolin and you can try and rescue it but it's veils which is my dump stat and I never succeeded.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

The pangolin is in one of the rooms in Langley Hall - the bathroom, perhaps?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I know that this is inevitable with kickstarter projects but the fact this exists is pissing me off to an insanely disproportionate degree

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

BBJoey posted:

I know that this is inevitable with kickstarter projects but the fact this exists is pissing me off to an insanely disproportionate degree

I've absolutely no idea what's up with this image?

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
So how do I get ministry stamped permits? I've destroyed a couple dreadnaughts and gotten nothing.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Jarvisi posted:

So how do I get ministry stamped permits? I've destroyed a couple dreadnaughts and gotten nothing.

You get them from checking the captain's cabin, not the cargo hold (it's the option that says it can get you an unlicensed chart)

Failing that you can also trade the boilerplates in at lustrum (you have to accept the quest there to start accumulating them though).

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Taear posted:

I've absolutely no idea what's up with this image?

"AxeDog passage"

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

BBJoey posted:

"AxeDog passage"

What do weird procedurally generated names have to do with it being a kickstarter though?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

It's not a procedurally generated name, it was requested by a kickstarter backer (the £150 or more reward).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

BBJoey posted:

"AxeDog passage"

Yeah. As a minimum, they should transform the backer names in something more palatable, like 'The Axed Dog Passage'.