Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Japan stop burying your funny video game songs under the guise of "licensing issues".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZNbabKjKpA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The PSP was better than the Nintendo DS

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

veni veni veni posted:

By that logic virtually everything Nintendo has ever done post SNES doesn't qualify as "real" and the only ones that do are the kind of lovely ones like NSMB. And also A Link Between Worlds I guess, but that's a remake. That one is loving incredible though.

Prime hits every note that super metroid does and does almost everything even better. It's very much metroid.

Nope, Nintendo even realizes this. New Super Mario bros = a real Mario game.
Mario 64 = not a Mario game

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Game boy Metroid 2 had the best athmosphere of all 2D metroids.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Prime hits every note that super metroid does and does almost everything even better. It's very much metroid.

Disagree.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

veni veni veni posted:

By that logic virtually everything Nintendo has ever done post SNES doesn't qualify as "real" and the only ones that do are the kind of lovely ones like NSMB. And also A Link Between Worlds I guess, but that's a remake. That one is loving incredible though.

Prime plays completely differently from Super Metroid, not just because 2D/3D but it’s much slower placed and story driven and is closer to an action/adventure game. Also all 2D Metroid games save Samus Returns have been developed by the same internal Nintendo team, whereas the Prime series was developed in the US by people who previously worked on Turok.

Also ALBW is a sequel not a remake.

Dross fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Feb 11, 2019

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
If they did make a new metroid i would hope it was far closer to prime than super.

Not prime 2 though, that whole dark/ light world mechanic was so lazy i tapped out after about half an hour

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
It's kinda interesting to see which Metriod games 'get it' and which are huge swings and misses. (I never bothered to touch the 3d entries) Fusion was such a disaster, and just a year or two later Zero Mission came out which hit the nail on the head so hard. AM2R was also great, and somehow I missed 'Samus Returns' entirely. Hrm.

A lot of what makes Metriod "Metriod" is the nature of the controls, and how the small moments of combat play out. Nothing I've seen from the Prime series feels anything like it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

"fusion was such a disaster" lmao

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

"Fusion was bad" is a sentiment shared by people who are really, really good at the mechanics of Metroid. It bothers people that you can't shinespark/wall jump into a massive sequence break, but instead you actually have to play through the areas in order.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yes, Fusion was the one that continually locked you into small map segments instead of letting you roam. Oh, and had a love story with a computer?!

It sold well since people where gagging for a new Metriod game and had no standards. The comparisons to Zero Mission a single year later really put it to shame.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The love story was entirely unimportant to the gameplay, just some dumb cutscenes, and the gameplay was excellent. Samus' movement was fluid as hell and the SA-X had some truly excellent heart-pounder moments.

The part where you think you found a hiding place and it just power bombs the wall to get to you :discourse:

Anybody play Axiom Verge? For some reason I remember enjoying it but also not finishing it.

Zero Mission was great but way too short.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Snow Cone Capone posted:

The love story was entirely unimportant to the gameplay, just some dumb cutscenes, and the gameplay was excellent. Samus' movement was fluid as hell and the SA-X had some truly excellent heart-pounder moments.

The part where you think you found a hiding place and it just power bombs the wall to get to you :discourse:

Anybody play Axiom Verge? For some reason I remember enjoying it but also not finishing it.

Zero Mission was great but way too short.

It was "free" from Epic at least yesterday but I uninstalled it because you can't exit menus with the escape key and gently caress that poo poo. (Some goon told me you had to press Q instead but still gently caress that poo poo.)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Lol I read that for the Epic store release the dev just deleted every file with the word "Steam" in it and it broke the game for a couple of days

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The thing with Metroid is, the setting and characters themselves are pretty limited in scope. Zero Mission was a remake of 1, Samus Returns was a remake of 2, and Prime was 3D, but kept the exact same "crash land on this planet and kill all the space pirates and metroids" story. Hell, even though SM was a continuation of 1, it still reuses a ton of environments and enemies. Any time they tried to branch out with new ideas, the results were mostly meh (Other M, Prime 2/3, Federation Force or whatever). Fusion was really the only one where they mixed it up and it wasn't awful.

All the highly-lauded games (1,2, SM, Prime 1) have basically the exact story and similar environments, etc.

The Castlevania series falls into the same general trap, while they're all pretty great, they're also all extremely similar. Portrait of Ruin tried mixing it up with the whole "constantly switching between 2 characters" thing and the unique environments via the paintings, but every single other game is just a checklist of slightly differently-designed areas. There's always the clock tower, the haunted garden, the catacombs, the underwater area, etc. At least the storyline is designed to support this, in the whole "Dracula comes back every X years and you need to kill him AGAIN" concept.

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 11, 2019

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
the best Metroid is Super Metroid Randomizer.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Snow Cone Capone posted:

The thing with Metroid is, the setting and characters themselves are pretty limited in scope. Zero Mission was a remake of 1, Samus Returns was a remake of 2, and Prime was 3D, but kept the exact same "crash land on this planet and kill all the space pirates and metroids" story. Hell, even though SM was a continuation of 1, it still reuses a ton of environments and enemies. Any time they tried to branch out with new ideas, the results were mostly meh (Other M, Prime 2/3, Federation Force or whatever). Fusion was really the only one where they mixed it up and it wasn't awful.

All the highly-lauded games (1,2, SM, Prime 1) have basically the exact story and similar environments, etc.

The Castlevania series falls into the same general trap, while they're all pretty great, they're also all extremely similar. Portrait of Ruin tried mixing it up with the whole "constantly switching between 2 characters" thing and the unique environments via the paintings, but every single other game is just a checklist of slightly differently-designed areas. There's always the clock tower, the haunted garden, the catacombs, the underwater area, etc. At least the storyline is designed to support this, in the whole "Dracula comes back every X years and you need to kill him AGAIN" concept.

it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. You can keep doing the same thing and risk it getting stale, or change directions and risk pissing off fans. That's why Prime is good imo. To me at least it feels like a really cool modernization that doesn't lose sight of what made the original good.

Resident Evil has suffered from similar woes over the years, although capcom has been much ballsier with the series than Nintendo or Konami. Sometimes making RE a loving disaster in the process.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Feb 11, 2019

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I agree, I think they should keep trying new stuff. Prime 2 and 3 weren't awful, they just weren't solid steps forward for that series. Other M was just a weird bastard child.

TBH I've played a few minutes of Samus Returns and she moves way more chunky and less fluid than the GBA games. Not sure I'm a big fan of the whole melee counter thing either, but we'll see.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Nintendo's been mixing up a lot of stale formulas on the Switch, with Odyssey and Breath of the Wild, they could do the same for Metroid.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Indications from Prime 4 are that they tried and it was a giant disaster so who knows what that game will be like

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Good Metroid games: Super, prime, fusion, zero mission, smash bros

Bad metroids: NES original, prime 2 and 3

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

CrRoMa posted:

Bad metroids: NES original,

Wow man we knew you hated fun and enjoyment but woof

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I didn't play it till the early 2000s, its a game that felt seriously limited by technology and successive versions have felt like improvements

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Yes, that sure is the definition of a sequel

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Snow Cone Capone posted:

lol "fun" let me just grab my graph paper and start mapping. I know that's my idea of a good time

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Yes, that sure is the definition of a sequel

No because sequel doesn't also mean improvement

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Rutibex posted:

lol "fun" let me just grab my graph paper and start mapping. I know that's my idea of a good time

hmm yes what an extremely complicated map that you absolutely needed to draw out to complete the game

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
How anyone can say fusion was a disaster when other M exists is beyond me.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Snow Cone Capone posted:

It's trash.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

bradzilla posted:

It's trash.

oh cool the other guy that hates fun weighing in

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Sure thing pal.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

CrRoMa posted:

I didn't play it till the early 2000s, its a game that felt seriously limited by technology and successive versions have felt like improvements

Lmao

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Snow Cone Capone posted:

But breath of the wild was shite

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

CrRoMa posted:

It is the most beautiful NES game by a mile, even before you get into the actual gameplay and whatever.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

bradzilla posted:

Sure thing pal.

Go through your posts in this thread and tell me I'm wrong; they're like 90% "X series that everyone likes is Bad, Actually :smug:" with no justification.

I mean I guess the contrarian fun-hater gimmick is pretty appropriate for this thread ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Go through your posts in this thread and tell me I'm wrong; they're like 90% "X series that everyone likes is Bad, Actually :smug:" with no justification.

I mean I guess the contrarian fun-hater gimmick is pretty appropriate for this thread ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This is quite literally the definition of "unpopular" and pretty sure I'm not required to write a dissertation on my opinions.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

You do seem like a huge douche itt, to be fair.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

bradzilla posted:

This is quite literally the definition of "unpopular" and pretty sure I'm not required to write a dissertation on my opinions.

Yeah that's what I said in the second line of the post you apparently didn't read, it fits the thread but it's also a boring gimmick

I'm not sure why you have an issue with the fact that I'm claiming you have a lot of opinions that "games that are well-accepted to be fun and actually trash," tbqh, it's not like I called you an rear end in a top hat because you don't like Zelda games

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

metroid 1 is way way bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Yeah that's what I said in the second line of the post you apparently didn't read, it fits the thread but it's also a boring gimmick

I'm not sure why you have an issue with the fact that I'm claiming you have a lot of opinions that "games that are well-accepted to be fun and actually trash," tbqh, it's not like I called you an rear end in a top hat because you don't like Zelda games

I really don't care I'm just responding to your posts