Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Apex Legends was pretty cool, only played it for about 30 minutes though.

I like having different roles to choose from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Relax Or DIE posted:

A favorite WC3 memory of mine is being called a "big bitch" for using observer wards. I pretty much played orcs specifically due to that ability.

Warcraft 3 is the greatest RTS of all time because goofy ridiculous poo poo like invisimortar and mass steam tanks aren't just gimmicks, but dominant strategies in certain matchups.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I fell off of a lot of the mp genres I used to like because they don't make them for me, but I will probably play MMOs until the day that I die. I like games where people have structured roles that force them to collaborate and they will probably never make a MMO where that's not the case. whether that's like tank/healer/dps roles, or like back in SWG just trying to be a really good merchant and trading with other people. its the brain disease of liking tabletop rpgs but not caring that much about the roleplaying parts I guess

I am also the kind of guy that will go to public lobbies in monhun and just do quests with random people

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Help Im Alive posted:

It's rough being goty in january because everyone forgets you exist by like july

MHW did it pretty well

Relax Or DIE posted:

So thread question for this morning: for those that feel this way, why do you enjoy multiplayer less/not at all if you once did? I know this thread/forum trends older, so is it just age? Has multiplayer gaming changed in a way you don't enjoy?

I never liked PvP or competing, even if it was just a fighting game. I enjoy supporting people, so I tank or heal in games where that is available but it gets tiring after a while because those classes always have a shorter pool than the "kill poo poo" classes.

And I have no friends.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Monster Hunter multiplayer is the only good multiplayer*. Fighting games also but that's kind of by default because it's the entire point of the game. Multiplayer is rear end in basically every other game.

*Excluding the people who have definitely very funny and not awful jokes for their mount callouts, which appears to be everyone on PC.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the mhw pc crowd is not as cool as the ps4 or 3ds monhun crowds

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I dunno, whichever 3DS entry added mounting had basically every single person use their mounting auto message to make "jokes" which were generally just date rape jokes

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

haven't they been doing live action remakes of their 90's movies for years at this point, with an established plan to keep doing so for years to come? i know there was a beauty and the beast one and they've already casted a lion king one
There's 5 coming out within a year. Dumbo, Aladdin, Lion King, Lady and the Tramp and Mulan.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Oxxidation posted:

Celeste’s story is functional at best and puerile at worst, just stick to the gameplay

I wouldn't call Celeste's story "puerile", just because it's focused on things that concern generations younger than you doesn't mean it's puerile. It's really about the same things as Hellblade, except with pixel art and positivity instead of post-processing effects and viking corpses.

Beating 3 chapters doesn't really show you what everyone was talking about either, the game continues introducing new mechanics and new story all the way to the end.

vvvvvvv "Live action" is really the wrong term for these, "photorealistic animation" is what they actually are and animating two dogs spaghetti kissing on a computer would not be a problem.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 11, 2019

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Spring Break My Heart posted:

There's 5 coming out within a year. Dumbo, Aladdin, Lion King, Lady and the Tramp and Mulan.

wonder how they're going to get two live action dogs to eat spaghetti and kiss

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

haveblue posted:

vvvvvvv "Live action" is really the wrong term for these, "photorealistic animation" is what they actually are and animating two dogs spaghetti kissing on a computer would not be a problem.
it would be a big problem, if you asked me to animate it

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

haveblue posted:

I wouldn't call Celeste's story "puerile", just because it's focused on things that concern generations younger than you doesn't mean it's puerile.

its depiction of depression and how people deal with it is facile to the point where i'd almost consider it dangerous to anyone taking it seriously

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

definitely messed up that disney has outright stated that the dogs in lady in the tramp will not be cgi dogs and that they had to train two living breathing dogs to eat spaghetti down to the middle so they kiss

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
People who are going through depression take it seriously and it helps them. I didn't get much out of it because I've never had to go through it, but it doesn't make it a bad story just because you can't relate.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Cowcaster posted:

definitely messed up that disney has outright stated that the dogs in lady in the tramp will not be cgi dogs and that they had to train two living breathing dogs to eat spaghetti down to the middle so they kiss

I think it's sweet they found two dogs that love eachother that much

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I watched the aladdin trailer, my question now is: why is will smith blue via cgi, why didn't they just paint him blue. his pasted on face is real wobbly

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Oxxidation posted:

its depiction of depression and how people deal with it is facile to the point where i'd almost consider it dangerous to anyone taking it seriously

It's about one aspect of depression and I found it to be quite accurate in that regard.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

corn in the bible posted:

I think it's sweet they found two dogs that love eachother that much

the dogs were also bred to not have the capacity of feeling joy so their tails would never wag and ruin the scenes

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

what was the last good movie

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
chef (2014)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Barudak posted:

Ive beaten the first three chapters of Celeste, when does the story people were raving about happen?

The story is lady has a dark side that you fight and then also theres some fun side characters that chat with her.

Its pretty lame to me but people find it impactful because they too suffer from self doubt or have seen fewer identical indie narratives in their time.

The music is also frickin sweet and maybe that makes the story seem cooler to some people? Idk

Point is, its a platformer, not a novel so just roll your eyes and keep on grabbin those strawbs

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

one time i watched Drive and it was pretty good

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Really Pants posted:

what was the last good movie

Dragon Ball Super: Broly

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Into the Spiderverse

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
There hasn't been a good super hero movie since The Dark Knight

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Andrast posted:

Dragon Ball Super: Broly

I enjoyed it. I liked the part where you see from broly's eyes as he punches goku through a glacier

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Relax Or DIE posted:

I dunno, whichever 3DS entry added mounting had basically every single person use their mounting auto message to make "jokes" which were generally just date rape jokes

highest quality roegadyn rear

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Over There posted:

There hasn't been a good super hero movie since The Dark Knight

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Even TDK was like 45 minutes too long and got stupid with its monologuing at the end.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

homeless snail posted:

the mhw pc crowd is not as cool as the ps4 or 3ds monhun crowds

I get one or more people with Kek or MAGA in their name every session. Seems good to me

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Anyway I play more multiplayer games now than I used to bc I don't make as much money and it's cheaper to play 500 hours of Splatoon than it is to buy a bunch of SP games

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
They Shall Not Grow Old

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm a ways into Iconoclasts, and the tower area I just completed is some of the most non-fun I've had in a video game in a long time.

There's something...off about the game in general, I can't quite put my finger on what. Like the writing and story on its face is not awful but it flows very weirdly and I'm constantly confused by why things are happening and why I should care. And while the gameplay is generally solid the upgrade path with the tweaks is kind of unsatisfying.

I don't know. I'm vaguely disappointed with it at the moment but a friend of mine loved it so much that I feel pretty compelled to press on.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Verranicus posted:

highest quality roegadyn rear

My character is a femroe so this feels like a callout

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Relax Or DIE posted:

My character is a femroe so this feels like a callout

More that you should lighten up because it's fun to make lewd phrases out of auto-translate and similar features but thats just me

EDIT: Unrelated but I got my first win in Apex Legends just now. Someone disconnected from our squad immediately and this other dude loving carried us to a hard fought win and we were both freaking out in voice chat. I had fun.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Nate RFB posted:

There's something...off about the game in general

I liked this because it really felt like an alien world, not just "Earth but with some funny monsters"

It gets downright bleak and then it just keeps going.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

There's something...off about the game in general, I can't quite put my finger on what. Like the writing and story on its face is not awful but it flows very weirdly and I'm constantly confused by why things are happening and why I should care. And while the gameplay is generally solid the upgrade path with the tweaks is kind of unsatisfying.

I don't know. I'm vaguely disappointed with it at the moment but a friend of mine loved it so much that I feel pretty compelled to press on.

The creator is not a native English speaker, it gives it this alternate PS1-era translation vibe that I can dig.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

In Training posted:

Anyway I play more multiplayer games now than I used to bc I don't make as much money and it's cheaper to play 500 hours of Splatoon than it is to buy a bunch of SP games

same but i've been filling that hole with singleplayer games with no end myself (currently on elite dangerous)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's also trying, through this stilted non-native dialog, to tell a story with layers of mystery to peel through which means there are times things deliberately make no loving sense and will be sort of explained later if you remember them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Since we're talking about Iconoclasts, there's one thing that bugged me but I may have missed a plot point somewhere. [ending]When Mina gives you the tour through the base, she mentions their deity that specifically has a "Go forth and multiply" doctrine that they live by. And they're hardcore about it because Gustavo mentions that he was not accepted by their community as he has a genetic disorder that would be passed forward to his children. So how does that works for her in the end, considering she and Samba finally settled down and are staying with each other? Mina, like Elro, still has hope in her religion after everything and the "seeds" play a big part in the game so I assume she would not just abandon it.