Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Serenade posted:

Is there any reason zenithal priming has to be done with just primers? After the black primer coat, can't you just use grey and white paint?

As long as the first coat is good, the grey/white is just for coloring, so non-primer paints should be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
What's the best product for water effects?

Right now I'm looking at Vallejo still water, is that any good? And how is it different from the other Vallejo water effects stuff? I assume it's the self-leveling quality but am not sure.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Professor Shark posted:

I checked out "Thunder Games and Gifts" here in Canada... they only do free shipping on $200+

They have the waterpot I wanted in stock, but no Corax White spray, and it's a few bucks more.

If you're on a budget/not sure if you want to get back in to the hobby I have no idea why you'd be buying a branded waterpot instead of just using a washed out glass jar or old mug or something, and the same goes for paintbrushes. GW might make good paints that are worth the markup but afaik this doesn't extend to their brushes - they are overpriced for what they are. There are very good sets available for comparatively nothing on Amazon.

It's possible I've just built up an extreme aversion to handing GW any more money than is absolutely necessary over my formative years of spending all my fuckin money on it but worth thinking about imo

I mean you have like 35 dollars there for 4 brushes. For the same price you could get a very nice 12 brush set from a small name retailer and still have cash to spare.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

IPA Regulations posted:

If you're on a budget/not sure if you want to get back in to the hobby I have no idea why you'd be buying a branded waterpot instead of just using a washed out glass jar or old mug or something, and the same goes for paintbrushes. GW might make good paints that are worth the markup but afaik this doesn't extend to their brushes - they are overpriced for what they are. There are very good sets available for comparatively nothing on Amazon.

It's possible I've just built up an extreme aversion to handing GW any more money than is absolutely necessary over my formative years of spending all my fuckin money on it but worth thinking about imo

I mean you have like 35 dollars there for 4 brushes. For the same price you could get a very nice 12 brush set from a small name retailer and still have cash to spare.

GW drybrushes at a minimum are well worth it, I haven't found anyone else making ones as nice.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

IPA Regulations posted:

My experience is that in canada the price for good brushes can be really bad, mostly because there appears to be few stores that carry decent brands and those that do can have really awful shipping prices. Sometimes if you can get them local the GW brushes are ok in comparison price wise.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Did a skull man:

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Booley posted:

GW drybrushes at a minimum are well worth it, I haven't found anyone else making ones as nice.

I saw a glowing recommendation for the e.l.f. Eye Contour Brush (normally for makeup) as a drybrush, so I picked one up. I haven’t had a chance to try it yet though. Really, any appropriately shaped makeup brush would probably work.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

R0ckfish posted:

My experience is that in canada the price for good brushes can be really bad, mostly because there appears to be few stores that carry decent brands and those that do can have really awful shipping prices. Sometimes if you can get them local the GW brushes are ok in comparison price wise.

Fair enough. I lived in Canada for a short while (though didn't buy any hobby stuff there) and I know things generally can be surprisingly expensive, and not sure what kind of deals are available from Amazon etc. Already from the OP's list 20 dollars for the spray primer made me double-take.

As for GW drybrushes I can't really comment as I only had one old small GW drybrush which I apparently let sit in paint because now it's hosed, so I do my dry brushing with an old, splayed (but clean) GW Standard brush. Ironically I have not been able to find any good deals on brush soap where I live so will just get some from an arts and craft type store soon and scowl pointlessly at the cashier for the markup he or she has absolutely no control over.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

JackMann posted:

How hard would it be to assemble the two squigs independantly? I've got an idea to have them pulling chariots as snakebite ork buggies.

Bottom Squig is easy, top squig has no parts that rest naturally on the ground so you'd have to prop him up on something.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

IPA Regulations posted:

I have no idea what I’m doing and I’m completely open to suggestions- what brushes would you recommend?

Regarding the ink pot, the grooves to hold brushes gimmick got me :shrug:

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Deified Data posted:

Bottom Squig is easy, top squig has no parts that rest naturally on the ground so you'd have to prop him up on something.

Could just add a clear acrylic rod and make it look like he's mid-air while bounding or something.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

IPA Regulations posted:

Do you have any links to Amazon brush sets you’d recommend?

Professor Shark posted:

I have no idea what I’m doing and I’m completely open to suggestions- what brushes would you recommend?

Their new water pot is really cool, the ridges on the sides and bottom clean the brushes up really well and the notches for making fine tips with the bristles is handy. I felt it was worth the money, and this is coming from someone who thought their prior water pots were mega retarded.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 11, 2019

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Professor Shark posted:

Xenomrph posted:

Do you have any links to Amazon brush sets you’d recommend?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Virtuoso-1...t+brushes&psc=1

This is the set I got - I mostly took the advice of the OP of this thread actually about expensive brushes and am aware of the fact that I don't need any rolls royce of brushes at my level of painting. There were even cheaper options but they all had those chunky tri-sided handles like Army Painter brushes which I really am not a fan of.

I haven't actually used these a lot yet, but my old GW brushes were getting completely worn out, so I can't give a strong recommendation. I'm just hopeful these will be good enough for a while.

To reiterate a disclaimer: I am a mediocre painter at best and only got back to painting etc. a few months ago. I'd take just about anyone's advice about painting above mine - Booley's about the drybrushes in particular - you only need to peep his posts to see he knows his stuff. The only thing I maybe DO know about is cutting corners wherever possible.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

IPA Regulations posted:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Virtuoso-1...t+brushes&psc=1

This is the set I got - I mostly took the advice of the OP of this thread actually about expensive brushes and am aware of the fact that I don't need any rolls royce of brushes at my level of painting. There were even cheaper options but they all had those chunky tri-sided handles like Army Painter brushes which I really am not a fan of.

I haven't actually used these a lot yet, but my old GW brushes were getting completely worn out, so I can't give a strong recommendation. I'm just hopeful these will be good enough for a while.

To reiterate a disclaimer: I am a mediocre painter at best and only got back to painting etc. a few months ago. I'd take just about anyone's advice about painting above mine - Booley's about the drybrushes in particular - you only need to peep his posts to see he knows his stuff. The only thing I maybe DO know about is cutting corners wherever possible.

A brush set like that seems like extreme overkill. You really only need a handful of brushes - something to drybrush with, something between a #0-2 to do most of your painting (size depends on brand and personal preference), something like a #00 to do really small details with (I mostly prefer to do them with a larger brush, but sometimes you need the small bristles to fit in places), and then something between a #2-4 to do basecoating and tanks and poo poo.

GW brushes are a little expensive, but are pretty decent. Army painter brushes tend to be bad. Rosemary & Co Series 33 and Raphael 8404 are the brushes I'd probably currently reccomend.

dmnz
Feb 14, 2012

BNNRROWNWNWOWOWOWO
Sorting out some storage solutions and while everything was out I snapped a quick and nasty family photo.
Painted slowly over several years, and so much more to do.

Silly big image, open in new tab for full size.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Spider-cavalry as a concept is simultaneously both totally righteous and utterly terrifying.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Deified Data posted:

Thanks!

I'll either take Floppychop's advice or build up some terrain for it to be rambling over. Assuming I get to this in among my other projects.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Accidentally got glue on my guy and I didn't realize it. Any way to salvage that?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Put him in the freezer. It'll weaken the other joints too so be careful.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
Started painting my largest model i've done yet, a Mork/Gorkanaut for 40k. Luckily subassembly for it was very easy and i'm enjoying being able to go on a part by part basis! I unintentionally went with an Iron Man theme so i've taken to calling it Iron Mork for the time being. I've got the lower half mostly done other than spur of the moment highlighting and touch-ups.
also i don't own an airbrush :ssh:

Does anyone have a good method for making a 3D flame jet effect by the way? My idea is to super glue some cotton balls into a conical-ish shape on the paperclip and then prime it and paint it up.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
So I'm painting Aquilon Terminators starting with a base of Balthasar Gold, washing with a mix of Druchii Violet and Reikland Fleshshade, and then dry brushing with Golden Griffon. I got too aggressive with my dry brushing or I had too much paint on my dry brush and now the Golden Griffon is too overpowering. Is there any way to bring it down, like should I wash the model again with my shade mix and then try a much lighter application of Golden Griffon?

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Booley posted:

A brush set like that seems like extreme overkill. You really only need a handful of brushes - something to drybrush with, something between a #0-2 to do most of your painting (size depends on brand and personal preference), something like a #00 to do really small details with (I mostly prefer to do them with a larger brush, but sometimes you need the small bristles to fit in places), and then something between a #2-4 to do basecoating and tanks and poo poo.

I totally agree, and there's pretty much no chance I'll need a 4/0 this decade or ever. However, the price tag nets me all those brushes (including the 4 or 5 I will actually use) for the same price as 2 GW ones. The flat 0 or 1 heads have potential as drybrushes.

edit: I realise the price of this set went up. It was on sale for 11 pounds when I bought it.

One thing I did not realise when ordering was there was no brush over size 1 in there (I got mixed up with reading a bunch of set descriptions and thought there was 4/0 up to size 4 included) - but I have an equivalent old 4 brush I can use for larger models. I ordered this one just because most of the other sets had those chunk tri-handles.

But in any case this was just an example - there are plenty of brush sets out there (that are also not Army Painter, which I also have first hand experience of being bad) that will cover all your needs from 2/0 up to 4 for a fraction of what GW charge, which is worth thinking about if dipping your toes and trying to avoid dropping lots of money

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Feb 12, 2019

Crab-Stuffed
Jul 24, 2006

Mr. Funktastic posted:

So I'm painting Aquilon Terminators starting with a base of Balthasar Gold, washing with a mix of Druchii Violet and Reikland Fleshshade, and then dry brushing with Golden Griffon. I got too aggressive with my dry brushing or I had too much paint on my dry brush and now the Golden Griffon is too overpowering. Is there any way to bring it down, like should I wash the model again with my shade mix and then try a much lighter application of Golden Griffon?

Applying the Druchii Violet wash will definitely bring it down. You can always go back up! I used a similar method on these guys:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bm-3H_-jXDk/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=8a6udn0eufki

Gold was:

• Retributor Armor Spray, 
  • Reikland Fleshshade Gloss wash, 
  • Lighter wash of Druchii Violet mixed with Lahmian Medium,
  • Drybrush of Golden Griffon, 
  • Edge highlight of Stormhost Silver
  • *brush over the armor with Vallejo Satin Varnish for shinyness (dull varnish the non-shiny parts).

Crab-Stuffed fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 12, 2019

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Do you have a bigger version of that image? The Instagram version is postage stamp sized.

Crab-Stuffed
Jul 24, 2006

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Do you have a bigger version of that image? The Instagram version is postage stamp sized.

http://imgur.com/gallery/PrseXsF

Crab-Stuffed fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 12, 2019

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
What does the Druchii violet do for the gold?

Crab-Stuffed
Jul 24, 2006

TheBigAristotle posted:

I don't have a good technical explanation but essentially it's a nice, deep wash that complements the gold. I've got some photos on the my Instagram that compare a few shades:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfFBlhMHwEe/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=dlf8edr0hlpa

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfFB2Xeni4L/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=jec2hf14jpom

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

TheBigAristotle posted:

I'm not sure exactly what sort of answer you're looking for, but I find it's a great way to darken it up and shade those recesses without really losing the color of the metal like if you simply hit it with Nuln Oil or something.

I'm at work so I don't have any models to take good pictures of, but I do have this WIP my Imgur history - you can zoom in on the shield bearer's pauldron and get an idea:

I almost exclusively wash my golds with purple.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I should give that a try, otherwise I just tend to do the usual Reikland Fleshshade wash. Might make the highlights pop a bit more.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Crab-Stuffed posted:

I don't have a good technical explanation but essentially it's a nice, deep wash that complements the gold. I've got some photos on the my Instagram that compare a few shades:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfFBlhMHwEe/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=dlf8edr0hlpa

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfFB2Xeni4L/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=jec2hf14jpom

I can confirm that Crab's Custodes look really good in real life.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice

Crab-Stuffed posted:

Applying the Druchii Violet wash will definitely bring it down. You can always go back up! I used a similar method on these guys:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bm-3H_-jXDk/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=8a6udn0eufki

Gold was:

• Retributor Armor Spray, 
  • Reikland Fleshshade Gloss wash, 
  • Lighter wash of Druchii Violet mixed with Lahmian Medium,
  • Drybrush of Golden Griffon, 
  • Edge highlight of Stormhost Silver
  • *brush over the armor with Vallejo Satin Varnish for shinyness (dull varnish the non-shiny parts).

Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately my dry brush looks more like a second base coat and I've gotten suggestions that I should just repaint them and start over, but I'll try to apply the wash on a piece of armor as a test and do a much lighter dry brush over that and see if that fixes things. Those Custodian Guard look incredible!

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Informative answers, I've noticed Druchii violet in a few mixes lately, one was black skin, since I was looking to do a couple faces in something other than kislev.

Duncan goes Dryad bark, Druchii violet then another brown

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Tonights brush wrecking speed painted duder is a kitbashed Nurgle Lord, clearing the backlog at one model from 20 kits at a time.

aka Lord Snout, 3 times French Kissing Champion of the Mortal Realms, and his Nurgling pal, Barry Harroth Dance Dance Revolution Superstar

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Another thing to bare in mind when going all in on GW paints is every few years they do the extremely frustrating thing of nuking the range and restarting it so you end up with army schemes you can never replicate. This post will be followed with a ton of people saying this isn't an issue, but this very thread has had posts of people begging for any forgotten pots of charadon granite and other old colours.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Looking for suggestions for a couple of rhinos I've been painting up. I tried to use the light green I've normally chosen for painting eye lenses and the like but it looks really out of place and a bit crap on the windshields of the otherwise dingy and dirty tank paintjob. I've never actually painted a part like this on a vehicle and I really don't know what to do. If anyone can suggest a quick easy alternative that would fit I would be grateful. Note that in my infinite wisdom I decided that the second rhino should have its visor modelled in the open position so I can't just close the thing and cover it up.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

TTerrible posted:

Another thing to bare in mind when going all in on GW paints is every few years they do the extremely frustrating thing of nuking the range and restarting it so you end up with army schemes you can never replicate. This post will be followed with a ton of people saying this isn't an issue, but this very thread has had posts of people begging for any forgotten pots of charadon granite and other old colours.

Good thing there is a range of paints made to specifically match nuked GW colors

I can't think of the name but they started in the last few years

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

goodness posted:

Good thing there is a range of paints made to specifically match nuked GW colors

I can't think of the name but they started in the last few years

There is (and I also can't remember the name) but last time I looked they did short runs and only once enough people had requested something.

This is not a fix to the issue.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

TTerrible posted:

There is (and I also can't remember the name) but last time I looked they did short runs and only once enough people had requested something.

That's a shame.

What are the reasons GW has given for cancelling ranges in the past?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

goodness posted:

:homebrew:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

goodness posted:

The reasons are always stated as 'exciting new colours and even better formulas'

This is marketing for 'we're unable to screw down our suppliers to keep our margins as high as we want, so we found someone cheaper'