Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Seen on new well-done steak MREs, with ketchup instead of Frank's RedHot.

https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/1094977898279325696?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Hmmm who has less business being on the package?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
https://twitter.com/jakesherman/status/1094767031939932161?s=21

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
i'm pretty okay with sending deadbeat dads to prison for refusal to pay child support. My parents divorced early and my mother had to go to court multiple times to get the child support she was owed. Maybe a stronger deterrent would have eased that particular load. Moreover, I don't think prison should be reserved only for violent offenders, unless y'all are happy with fines and golf courses for white collar crime.

Nobody should be sent to prison for inability to pay. In such a case, the state imposes wage garnishment, as well they should.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Iron Rose posted:

i'm pretty okay with sending deadbeat dads to prison for refusal to pay child support. My parents divorced early and my mother had to go to court multiple times to get the child support she was owed. Maybe a stronger deterrent would have eased that particular load. Moreover, I don't think prison should be reserved only for violent offenders, unless y'all are happy with fines and golf courses for white collar crime.

Nobody should be sent to prison for inability to pay. In such a case, the state imposes wage garnishment, as well they should.

There should never be a time where they’re sent to prison, a court can take whatever assets the deadbeat has. If there are no assets then sending them to prison makes things worse

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

If they ever take the hot sauce out of MREs there really will be a second Bonus Army.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

DoktorLoken posted:

I mean felony drunk driving (for non-accident/injury cases) doesn't seem to really deter people since "XXXX man arrested for 8th offense DUI" is a pretty common local story.

If they're not going to stop then sending them to prison where they can't hurt or kill anyone sounds like a fair trade. A DUI should be considered a violent offense. The drunk may not be intending to harm people, but they're still repeatedly engaging in behavior that Carrie's substantial risk to others.

Prison should be used to stop people from harming people. A drunk driver is absolutely a risk to everyone's health and safety.

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment

yes

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

All I know is that if I get stuck in West Africa because another shutdown prompts ATCs to go on strike, I’m going to get good and goddamned pissed.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

There should never be a time where they’re sent to prison, a court can take whatever assets the deadbeat has. If there are no assets then sending them to prison makes things worse

deadbeat dads who abandon their children and actively refuse to pay child support or cooperate with state garnishment of assets should go to jail. If they were willing to pay in the first place, they wouldn't have been prosecuted for nonpayment of child support.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

DoktorLoken posted:

I mean felony drunk driving (for non-accident/injury cases) doesn't seem to really deter people since "XXXX man arrested for 8th offense DUI" is a pretty common local story.

I’m good with your second offense being a felony on DUI. You obviously can’t be trusted in society to not drive a giant death machine impaired.
As for the child support lol lock those fuckers up. My “father” never payed a dime and just started new families and worked under the table. My cousins “father” stopped working and became a drug dealer/pimp so he wouldn’t have to pay child support. Both were physically abusive assholes who managed to slip out of domestic abuse charges. Simple nonpayment and go to prison would be so much better to get rid of the true shitstains.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

pantslesswithwolves posted:

All I know is that if I get stuck in West Africa because another shutdown prompts ATCs to go on strike, I’m going to get good and goddamned pissed.

But how would drinking help?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

hobbesmaster posted:

Lol assets. I don’t think you’ve ever personally dealt with the type of guy this would affect. Freedom is the only thing they care about. Power over women by parental rights gets them off.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Iron Rose posted:

deadbeat dads who abandon their children and actively refuse to pay child support or cooperate with state garnishment of assets should go to jail. If they were willing to pay in the first place, they wouldn't have been prosecuted for nonpayment of child support.

Is the goal to support the child? Because that ensures that the father can't get gainful employment and ever pay child support.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

LingcodKilla posted:

Lol assets. I don’t think you’ve ever personally dealt with the type of guy this would affect. Freedom is the only thing they care about. Power over women by parental rights gets them off.

No, guys. All people are rational actors with good intentions. There's no such thing as "bad people". They're just a reflection of society's failures. :jerkbag:

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

The Iron Rose posted:

Maybe we should just execute them!!

Edit: It's interesting to see the number of people who want to see additional fast tracks to prison. Do none of you keep up with the problems of the American carceral system or do you just not give a poo poo about how the kind of policies you are proposing damage American communities?

"getting" someone because they managed to avoid jail on other crimes is not a worthwhile or defensible system. All this tough on crime talk sounds like you've had some bad experiences and want to hurt other people.

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Feb 11, 2019

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LingcodKilla posted:

I’m good with your second offense being a felony on DUI. You obviously can’t be trusted in society to not drive a giant death machine impaired.
As for the child support lol lock those fuckers up. My “father” never payed a dime and just started new families and worked under the table. My cousins “father” stopped working and became a drug dealer/pimp so he wouldn’t have to pay child support. Both were physically abusive assholes who managed to slip out of domestic abuse charges. Simple nonpayment and go to prison would be so much better to get rid of the true shitstains.

I mean in both cases the deadbeat fathers would be busted for various other crimes too, throwing them in prison for crimes with avoiding child support responsibility as an aggravating factor should be (is?) the norm, and assets seized/liquidated to fund payments. If the government can seize all Manafort's poo poo for tax crimes and FARA violations, they can do the same (maybe sans the FARA part of course) for deadbeat parents. Decoupling payments to the children from the payments from the parent is pretty important on that path though, because it takes "ability to pay" out of the question.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
How about the Government pays child support, and then they go after the parent to pay them back. It'd be like student loans, except it would gently caress with people's lives who deserve it.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

BigDave posted:

But how would drinking help?

Well, I should have clarified that I meant pissed off but there’s only so much drinking by myself and watching action movies on my
iPad that I can do to distract from how much I miss my fiancée and doggy. :(

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

A Bad Poster posted:

How about the Government pays child support, and then they go after the parent to pay them back. It'd be like student loans, except it would gently caress with people's lives who deserve it.

Pro life starts at conception and ends before the delivery bill from the hospital.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Oh right I forgot that the government's job isn't to take care of its citizens. I keep doing that.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Feels like a few of you are picturing yourselves as the deadbeat dad rather than the actual victims.

If you can't hold down a kitchen job to have your pay garnished what exactly are you doing for society?

lol join the military

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

A Bad Poster posted:

There's a whole lot of goons just yelling this suggestion past each other and not seeing it being posted over and over :laffo:

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Well, I should have clarified that I meant pissed off but there’s only so much drinking by myself and watching action movies on my

Aww, sorry to hear it. :sympathy:

Please accept this gif of a lazy dog: https://imgur.com/t/dog/hSPUMyf

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
https://twitter.com/AyCeeAyBee/stat...ingawful.com%2F

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Feels like a few of you are picturing yourselves as the deadbeat dad rather than the actual victims.

If you can't hold down a kitchen job to have your pay garnished what exactly are you doing for society?

lol join the military

The problem is that its hard to hold a job when you can't show up because you're in jail? And I'm pretty sure that even with reduced standards you can't enlist if you have a warrant out for your arrest?

This is all part of why broader justice system reform is necessary but step 0 is making sure that criminalizing something actually improves society.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 11, 2019

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

There's a whole lot of goons just yelling this suggestion past each other and not seeing it being posted over and over :laffo:

You think I'm actually going to read anything on these forums?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

LingcodKilla posted:

lol join the military

Yeah why aren't these men champing at the bit for a minimum wage job that the government can garnish?

Hey maybe you could just pick out the ones you don't like and we could sterilize them like back in the good ol days

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Yeah why aren't these men champing at the bit for a minimum wage job that the government can garnish?

Hey maybe you could just pick out the ones you don't like and we could sterilize them like back in the good ol days
Yeah. Better just let them continue being deadbeats since they won't follow the rules anyway.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Soooo... they should just not contribute to helping the child they saddled some poor woman with? That's a solution to you?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Casimir Radon posted:

Yeah. Better just let them continue being deadbeats since they won't follow the rules anyway.

Occasionally these people actually meet their obligations after being unable to for a certain period of time. If they are in jail they have a bunch of additional court fees and probation fees and missed time for court that gobbles up the money that could otherwise go to their families.

Its interesting that we are revisiting the idea of debtors prison. Hell you guys have even reconstructed the righteous indignation that came along with the concept the first time. What you are proposing has been tried and failed. Fixing the problems with the family court systems isn't nearly as simple as "jail deadbeats" and the fact that any of you seem to think it is that simple really indicates you have 0 clue what the gently caress you're talking about.

edit: me pointing out that you guys are clueless is not the same as me saying nothing should be done, for the record.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

quote:

The problem is that its hard to hold a job when you can't show up because you're in jail? And I'm pretty sure that even with reduced standards you can't enlist if you have a warrant out for your arrest?

This is all part of why broader justice system reform is necessary but step 0 is making sure that criminalizing something actually improves society.

They're not holding down a job or enlisting anyways, because doing so means Mom gets some money and gently caress that bitch, right?

Obviously the state should be providing support for childcare. But it's not, and I like to make policy based on the world we live in, not the world we wished we lived in. If deadbeat dads really don't want to pay their child support and refuse to contribute productively to society, then they should be punished with prison time.

No, the child isn't getting any money from the father, but the child wasn't getting any money from the father anyways and this establishes a significant and severe consequence for nonpayment. It also gets borderline abusive parents who would otherwise not be caught in the domestic abuse net out of their child's lives.

Honestly I already liked Klobuchar, this is really just cementing my primary vote.

Edit: to clarify a bit, I don't think putting deadbeat dads in jail is the foremost policy issue of our time. I don't particularly care whether a candidate supports it or not - it's just a nice bonus and with luck it'll get more dads to pay for their goddamn child support like they're supposed to. I'd be happy with non-criminal penalties as well, but prison time is a very reasonable policy proposal and I'm happy to give it a chance.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 11, 2019

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

I'm sorry your sperm donor father is a waste of oxygen and your mother had to deal with all that poo poo to ensure you were taken care of. That's all I wanted to add to this discussion tbqh.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Also lassa fever is spreading in west africa right now.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Yes. Why aren’t they.

Did you even ask yourself this question?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

The Iron Rose posted:

They're not holding down a job or enlisting anyways, because doing so means Mom gets some money and gently caress that bitch, right?

Obviously the state should be providing support for childcare. But it's not, and I like to make policy based on the world we live in, not the world we wished we lived in. If deadbeat dads really don't want to pay their child support and refuse to contribute productively to society, then they should be punished with prison time.

No, the child isn't getting any money from the father, but the child wasn't getting any money from the father anyways and this establishes a significant and severe consequence for nonpayment. It also gets borderline abusive parents who would otherwise not be caught in the domestic abuse net out of their child's lives.

Honestly I already liked Klobuchar, this is really just cementing my primary vote.

Yeah because deterrence works so well in every other aspect of our criminal justice system for the indigent. You have stupid ideas that will only create more misery, but hey if you feel good proposing them then I guess that's really is what is important.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Yeah because deterrence works so well in every other aspect of our criminal justice system for the indigent. You have stupid ideas that will only create more misery, but hey if you feel good proposing them then I guess that's really is what is important.

Being poor should not be a literal get out of jail free card. Moreover, this isn't only hitting the poor. My father was a multimillionaire until he lost it all in 2008 and he still didn't pay all the child support he was supposed to despite the fact that my mother was pretty dirt poor in comparison. She didn't even ask him for any alimony either!

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The Republicans are coming from inside the thread.

The prison system is not a loving deterrent you goddamned idiots. This makes as much sense as revoking the drivers license of people who fall behind on student loans.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I'm ok with making deadbeat dads miserable. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Most days so I let you dig your grave, but this is like aggressively dumb. Maybe step away for a bit.