Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'd say child support should be paid out by the government but garnished from the father's wages. If they're getting paid under the table to avoid garnishment then they and whoever is paying them should be legally butfucked for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

If they're earning unreported income to avoid paying child support that's tax evasion if not outright tax fraud and money laundering depending on how elaborate their scheme is. If they're earning it through other crimes like robbing banks and selling meth to teenagers that's more charges on the docket. You don't even have to throw people in prison for the sole fact that they're unable to pay child support, if they're otherwise able to pay but are taking unlawful action to avoid earning reportable income that can be garnished, it means they're already committing crimes that can put them in prison. The fact that they did it specifically to avoid supporting their own kid just makes them a bigger piece of poo poo on top of those other crimes.

I'm not sure what the holdup here is unless you're saying being a divorcee makes it harder to find a job in which case I would like to know what the hell kind of jobs they're looking at beyond church stuff or marrying into the British royalty.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Chichevache posted:

I'm ok with making deadbeat dads miserable. :shrug:

I'm getting the impression there are a lot of people you feel superior to who you are OK with making miserable.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Iron Rose posted:

My parents divorced early and my mother had to go to court multiple times to get the child support she was owed.

Wouldn't you rather fix this part?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

hobbesmaster posted:

No, it's way easier to send people to jail out of spite.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

McNally posted:

No, it's way easier to send people to jail out of spite.

That’s usually the reason to not pay in the first place.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I'm getting the impression there are a lot of people you feel superior to who you are OK with making miserable.

Just wannabe psychoanalysts on the internet.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Prison is not a good deterrent. But also having to check a box saying you’ve been convicted of a felony when you try to get a job doesn’t help much either.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Chichevache posted:

Just wannabe psychoanalysts on the internet.

Well you're someone arguing for failed policies that will hurt people because it'd make you feel better. Maybe some real psychoanalysis off the internet would be worthwhile.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

hobbesmaster posted:

I think that fixing this part involves having a law on the books criminalizing nonpayment of child support.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

colachute posted:

Prison is not a good deterrent. But also having to check a box saying you’ve been convicted of a felony when you try to get a job doesn’t help much either.

Posting prison is used as a deterrent in this forum and it seems to work pretty well.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

The Iron Rose posted:

I think that fixing this part involves having a law on the books criminalizing nonpayment of child support.

There... already is?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Won't someone think of the poor deadbeat dad's who have to go way out of their way to avoid supporting their kids? How dare we interfere with their ability to continue spreading their seed hither and yon without consequences? :cry:

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Chichevache posted:

Posting prison is used as a deterrent in this forum and it seems to work pretty well.

My other account has over 100 probations on it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Iron Rose posted:

It didn't seem to work and your mom had to actively take steps instead of the state doing so.

Sounds like something that could be fixed by having better social services.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Locking people up for drunk driving is insane, and you can't take their licenses away since for most jobs in most of the country you need to drive to function, so just make them convert to Islam, bingo bongo

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Doc Hawkins posted:

Locking people up for drunk driving is insane, and you can't take their licenses away since for most jobs in most of the country you need to drive to function, so just make them convert to Islam, bingo bongo

I can't even tell who is being sarcastic or not anymore. :cripes:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

hobbesmaster posted:

It didn't seem to work and your mom had to actively take steps instead of the state doing so.

Sounds like something that could be fixed by having better social services.

Lol that’s not happening.

You know what society cares even less about than dead beat dads?

Children who are born.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Lol that’s not happening.

You know what society cares even less about than dead beat dads?

Children who are born.

Society not caring about supporting children is the problem, yes.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/curaffairs/status/1094983004273942528

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
There is a real issue with how quickly societal mores are changing compared to how quickly the people themselves are changing.

The Pod Save America guys a discussion this weekend vis-à-vis the whole Virginia debacle. Northam and his ilk were only 15-20 years removed from the end of Jim Crow. That's not enough time to change over the native politicians without some glaring contradictions in their past.

And that's to say nothing about how society is looking at criminal justice since what...2015? And further, sexual assault and abusers since 2017?

Side note: the Pod guys had a discussion regarding Northam and were trying to make an argument regarding Northam staying in office and I wanted to scream through the app at them.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

:drat: that’s some serious shade right there.

I for one could do without another lovely Drug Warrior in the White House.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

When did prison stop being a deterrent? I have some amount of education in this and I'm going to need to see some works cited on that outrageous claim.

I'm suspecting this is somehow a result of the internet echo chamber taking the findings that the death penalty is not more of a deterrent than life in prison and running with it to completely unsupported places.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1095028946582859777?s=19

https://twitter.com/wpjenna/status/1095031219740393472?s=19

I defend Pelosi and her people a lot, but there is an absolute truckload of bad faith flying around and gently caress all of this bullshit. Minority Leader McCarthy is yelling about anti-Semitism when he was openly telling chuds to vote so Soros couldn't buy the election. gently caress everyone involved.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Meanwhile, the case of the SEAL who knifed a teenage IS fighter to death and became so unhinged that his teammates hosed with the zero on his rifle has taken an even worse turn:

https://twitter.com/NoahShachtman/status/1095029784013430784

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Jarmak posted:

When did prison stop being a deterrent? I have some amount of education in this and I'm going to need to see some works cited on that outrageous claim.

I'm suspecting this is somehow a result of the internet echo chamber taking the findings that the death penalty is not more of a deterrent than life in prison and running with it to completely unsupported places.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_9542312

quote:

Using a Bureau of Justice Statistic study finding inmates released from state prisons have a five-year recidivism rate of 76.6%, the USSC study calculated comparable federal prisoners released have a 44.7% re-arrest rate after five years.

I’d say that’s pretty damning evidence against prison being effective.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Jarmak posted:

Nah. It was a fair amount of research.

https://nij.gov/five-things/pages/deterrence.aspx

tl;dr posted:

1. The certainty of being caught is a vastly more powerful deterrent than the punishment.

2. Sending an individual convicted of a crime to prison isn’t a very effective way to deter crime.

3. Police deter crime by increasing the perception that criminals will be caught and punished.

4. Increasing the severity of punishment does little to deter crime.

5. There is no proof that the death penalty deters criminals.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Sorry everyone, the young left took a vote and we're gonna abolish prisons. My hands are tied, it's a caucus thing.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Doc Hawkins posted:

Sorry everyone, the young left took a vote and we're gonna abolish prisons. My hands are tied, it's a caucus thing.

perfect

time to be gay and do crimes

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

colachute posted:

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_9542312

I’d say that’s pretty damning evidence against prison being effective.

I'm very familiar with this research and none of it says "prison isn't a deterrent" nor do the summaries you posted. They are nuanced findings on what effects the deterrent value of prison and when that deterrent isn't effective.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Pretty sure consequences like losing your freedom still deters crime. It may not increase deterrence when the sentence is increased, but prison itself is still a deterrent.

If there weren't consequences, I'd definitely be criming all day.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

The Iron Rose posted:

Being poor should not be a literal get out of jail free card. Moreover, this isn't only hitting the poor. My father was a multimillionaire until he lost it all in 2008 and he still didn't pay all the child support he was supposed to despite the fact that my mother was pretty dirt poor in comparison. She didn't even ask him for any alimony either!

pal, we hate the rich around here, not the poor

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

Casimir Radon posted:

I'd say child support should be paid out by the government but garnished from the father's wages. If they're getting paid under the table to avoid garnishment then they and whoever is paying them should be legally butfucked for it.

Its this, except garnish everyone's wages.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

pal, we hate the rich around here, not the poor

Can't we just hate bad people regardless of social class?

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
Average tax return down 8% so far this year....Good job rear end loving yourself with the voters Dirty Donny

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

The Gardenator posted:

Its this, except garnish everyone's wages.

Taxation is theft!

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Jarmak posted:

I'm very familiar with this research and none of it says "prison isn't a deterrent" nor do the summaries you posted. They are nuanced findings on what effects the deterrent value of prison and when that deterrent isn't effective.

If someone gets out of prison and commits another crime and goes back to prison, how does that indicate that prison is not a deterrent for that individual?

And if this happens at a high rate, how does that not indicate that prison isn’t a deterrent as a whole?

What rate of recidivism would be appropriate to say prison is not a deterrent?

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment
69%

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Ah, very nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

This is a great example actually. That idiot makes a ton of money from his music then commits violent crimes for fun. He’s the exact kind of person who should be locked up for life to protect society.