Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

And at the same time "I'm just talking about israel guys!!!!" then saying straight up nazi stuff has been a part of the actual racist playbook too. Which muddies the waters when you hear someone speak and you do not know their motives.

... Which drives some Jewish voters to stay home instead of voting for left-wing candidates, because both sides appear to be anti-Semitic.

That’s absolutely going to be the right’s way of countering the wave of voters, and in particular young voters, becoming cognizant of pervasive issues of racism, sexism, homophobia, and the like. Any perceived slight by a left-wing candidate will be magnified and scrutinized a thousand times over, while conservatives can say and do whatever they want in the knowledge that their base will still turn out to vote for them. It’s all about getting voters from the groups that the GOP hates to stay home - and it’s probably going to work in the short term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

It would be so much easier if we could do some sort of pocket-dimension experiment where we could make these people President and see what they do without affecting reality :v:

Buddy this is the pocket dimension

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

He's still never going to get his wall, even if he declares his national emergency the eminent domain cases alone will tie it up for more than a decade and the next President will knock anything that's been built down at the first opportunity.

They'll still bulldoze down environmental preserves in the meantime.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

pseudanonymous posted:

We get it, you've successfully white-knighted this group of bigoted insane death cultists, we now know that they do not believe this one particularly insane thing, and instead only believe in a whole host of other insane things. Good on you.

I am sorry to have had a discussion in the debate and discussion forum, it won't happen again

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

pseudanonymous posted:

We get it, you've successfully white-knighted this group of bigoted insane death cultists, we now know that they do not believe this one particularly insane thing, and instead only believe in a whole host of other insane things. Good on you.

Not even that, it's that a portion of the leadership is supposedly banned from holding beliefs a majority of the congregation believes in. But some still do.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

VitalSigns posted:

I'm not saying Ilhan Omar is a Nazi, I'm just saying we should treat her exactly like one

Come on now, it's a few years too early to advocate electing her president

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

St. Dogbert posted:

... Which drives some Jewish voters to stay home instead of voting for left-wing candidates, because both sides appear to be anti-Semitic.

That’s absolutely going to be the right’s way of countering the wave of voters, and in particular young voters, becoming cognizant of pervasive issues of racism, sexism, homophobia, and the like. Any perceived slight by a left-wing candidate will be magnified and scrutinized a thousand times over, while conservatives can say and do whatever they want in the knowledge that their base will still turn out to vote for them. It’s all about getting voters from the groups that the GOP hates to stay home - and it’s probably going to work in the short term.

Would love to see some polling on what American Jews actually think of the Israeli government, because I guarantee you that the breakdown is going to be very similar to the age breakdown--older Jews who believe Israel = all Jews vote Republican, younger Jews who don't vote Democrat.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

He's still never going to get his wall, even if he declares his national emergency the eminent domain cases alone will tie it up for more than a decade and the next President will knock anything that's been built down at the first opportunity.

They don't have to necessarily wait for the case to complete before they seize the property and begin construction, this is part of the problem. There were lawsuits still concluding a decade after the last spate of border wall construction.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Why are these bribed politicians refusing to condemn the bribery factory?

Also that 9th circuit decision is hosed up.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

1glitch0 posted:

Sorry, but hasn't the president's schedule normally been public knowledge forever up until very recently?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1094664056827449344

Totally not mad...

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

WoodrowSkillson posted:

You can be a leader in enough of them that the distinction is pointless.

They recently admitted that they literally refused to kick out known pedophiles, and allowed them to continue operating both churches and in some cases youth Ministries: https://mobile.twitter.com/KNOE8/status/1095004548001878017

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

"If anybody needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome!"

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Prester Jane posted:

They recently admitted that they literally refused to kick out known pedophiles, and allowed them to continue operating both churches and in some cases youth Ministries: https://mobile.twitter.com/KNOE8/status/1095004548001878017

But God forbid we compare them to the Papists

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Ogmius815 posted:

There is also another major split in American evangelical Christianity, and those on one side of it certainly do not support white supremacy.

between the part that is white and the part that is not, yes

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Smash the Baptist’s with all the swiftness of a wrathful God, thanks.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/OsitaNwanevu/status/1095023268119998464

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

I can't figure out what pookel wants other than to tut-tut people engaging with the reality of what Omar said.

He wants to police AAVE because that's what everyone feigning disgust about her lyrics quotes is doing.

Not only is it a song but a solid AAVE phrase spoken by a black person and turned on her for political gain.

"Netenyahu's name is Ben!" is such a reach their arms should be out of socket

I really want to expand but don't have the time but lots of people don't see AAVE or any parts of black culture (including our music) as legitimate or having meaning. Benjamin's doesn't mean money because they say it doesn't, the historical weight of it in the last 20 years of our culture is irrelevant, they're free to define what it means two decades later in order to take and shame a black woman they're terrified of into submission.

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Feb 11, 2019

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

sexpig by night posted:

There's ways to do it without that. If she acknowledged that she was on the SUPER wrong side for most of her time, and talked about how she supports freeing and purging the records of those who are in jail for drug offenses to make up for it, it'd be fine. But yea, literally just 'I have partaken of the devil's lettuce from time to time' is such a loving gross thing for a cop to say.

She actually has talked about it

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tomang...k/#1c3852182eee

quote:

"We need to legalize marijuana and regulate it," Harris writes, pointing to racial disparities in cannabis enforcement. "And we need to expunge nonviolent marijuana-related offenses from the records of millions of people who have been arrested and incarcerated so they can get on with their lives."

Also, somewhat related, but her back on track program helped non-violent drug offenders get back into society in return for community service

https://psmag.com/news/kamala-harris-record-on-criminal-justice-reform

quote:

In 2005, as San Francisco district attorney, Harris created Back on Track, a program aimed at preventing young, first-time, non-violent drug offenders from committing more crimes. Back on Track offered hand-picked offenders the chance to get job training and placement, and take community college classes, in return for a guilty plea and 220 hours of community service. Only 10 percent of program graduates committed another crime within two years of their release from jail or prison, compared to 53 percent of Californian drug offenders in general, according to numbers from the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation

Harris has a problematic record, but again we need to look at the totality of her record and her statements to judge her

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Wait, what happened?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the thing i've been posting about - trump and the gop's soros rhetoric about migrants drove someone to shoot up a synagogue.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

St. Dogbert posted:

It honestly feels hard to know. Because the dog whistles do show up everywhere, and you can tell there are people intentionally feeding language into stuff to muddy the waters. And also who is or isn't anti semitic seems a lot more random across party lines than other types of racism, so it does always feel like you gotta go "wait what do you mean by that" on any statement.

Like there was a guy on this forum who LOVED calling israelis "blood drinking psychos" and like, it just seemed like he was using words that sounded cool or whatever, but like come on, at least try to not leave openings for literal blood libel, like, make up new insults that don't have baggage. Even if you wanna call a sniper that shoots an unarmed medic the mean things they deserve to be called.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Oh for gently caress's sake

https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/1095025604280414208

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Hmm

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

...no, they won't. Jesus Christ.

Told ya. Didnt take even 4 hours

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
What a loving joke.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Koalas March posted:

"Netenyahu's name is Ben!" is such a reach their arms should be out of socket
How many Ariana Grandes would I get if I shamelessly stole this?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

pookel posted:

I recommend reading this whole thread (it's pretty long). I can't swear to the writer's lefty bona fides but I know she is or was active in her local Labour party.

https://twitter.com/Sara_Rose_G/status/1091318262447722496

Maybe I'm dumb but this thread just seemed like a muddled mess and I still dont understand how Corbyn is anti-semitic from it.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

theflyingorc posted:

I am sorry to have had a discussion in the debate and discussion forum, it won't happen again

Gee I wonder why you I have so much empathy for southern Baptists and their notoriously sanctimonious attitude? Quite the mystery here....

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

1glitch0 posted:

Sorry, but hasn't the president's schedule normally been public knowledge forever up until very recently?
There's the public schedule and then there's the actual schedule. A lot of stuff, like Trump's Executive Time For Watching Myself On TV, is left off the public schedule because it's embarrassing, but actually it's not embarrassing because he's working very hard during that time, so he doesn't care if the schedule gets leaked or not, which is why they're going to find the leaker and eviscerate him ASAP.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

This poo poo makes me so loving angry

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

I hope she stands firm and all the centrists are deeply horrified by this sneak preview of what the Democratic Party is going to be when they're gone.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the democrats are a waste.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

DaveWoo posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake

dangit nancy

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Groovelord Neato posted:

the thing i've been posting about - trump and the gop's soros rhetoric about migrants drove someone to shoot up a synagogue.

Gotcha sorry, the wording of the tweet made me think an attack happened last week and I was confused.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

lol they're such loving cowards.

kidkissinger posted:

Maybe I'm dumb but this thread just seemed like a muddled mess and I still dont understand how Corbyn is anti-semitic from it.

He actually isn't.

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

everythin' under heaven is in utter chaos, cloud

Bread Liar
I really hope she doesn't back down because gently caress that poo poo.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

friendbot2000 posted:

How many Ariana Grandes would I get if I shamelessly stole this?

1/5

Is there anyway I can @ the House Dems and tell them they're loving trashbags

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

This is why no politician has a reasonable stance on Israel lol

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Would love to see some polling on what American Jews actually think of the Israeli government, because I guarantee you that the breakdown is going to be very similar to the age breakdown--older Jews who believe Israel = all Jews vote Republican, younger Jews who don't vote Democrat.

Small sample size I know, but my Birthright trip a few years ago devolved into open rebellion against the Chabadniks running things, to the point where people were walking off the trip/being dumped in random kibbutzim.

Our main points of contention were their complete shutdown of any contrary discussion about Palestine and their continuous attempts to brainwash us, like when they took us to a highway next to the border with Gaza and waxed on about how a father and son were killed when a thrown rock went through their windshield.

It was an older trip, and nobody took the bait. I think out of all 25 of us maybe 1 was an unconditional bootlicker.

(And he posts constantly on Facebook about how hard it is to find a girlfriend as a CHUD in San Francisco, lol)

Point being, I think Israel is right to be worried about the level of support they can expect from the next generation of American Jews.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It honestly feels hard to know. Because the dog whistles do show up everywhere, and you can tell there are people intentionally feeding language into stuff to muddy the waters. And also who is or isn't anti semitic seems a lot more random across party lines than other types of racism, so it does always feel like you gotta go "wait what do you mean by that" on any statement.

Like there was a guy on this forum who LOVED calling israelis "blood drinking psychos" and like, it just seemed like he was using words that sounded cool or whatever, but like come on, at least try to not leave openings for literal blood libel, like, make up new insults that don't have baggage. Even if you wanna call a sniper that shoots an unarmed medic the mean things they deserve to be called.

"AIPAC pays members of Congress"

"Israelis are blood drinking psychos"

I literally can't tell the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

another Dems Are A Waste post :rolleyes:

don't you understand your purity testing is just not realistic