Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

you release a loving joint statement when one of your own says something objectively true but not when republican congresspeople and the loving president drive someone to massacre jews. unfuckingbelievable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

CuddleCryptid posted:

How can she not stand firm? "Sorry for saying things that are factually true, I guess I have dyslexia and read things wrong"

E. Oh God the gov shutdown is only five days away again, what happened to these three weeks

depends on what is meant by "stand firm"

she could walk back the flippant nature of it, which could be construed as "backing down"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Hopefully this whole episode clarifies some things for the new progressives who've been giving Pelosi a lot of leeway up to now.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Chelsea Clinton, who couldn't show up for a media nepotism job, has found her calling as a Republican who never logs off

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
lol remarkable how badly Dems handled this, stunning stuff

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Trump is going to win again and win the PV this time

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Armack posted:

If Rep. Omar stands firm, do you all think Pelosi will strip her committee assignments?

I hope they do. This machine will turn its ugly head on them eventually anyway. It already has in a few cases.

Good post! Evangelical theology is such a cluster gently caress. White evangelicals only care about supporting white supremacy. Their racism, islamophobia and antisemitism inform their stances on Israel, just like every other white right winger. The actual beliefs are just window dressing

Armack
Jan 27, 2006

CuddleCryptid posted:

How can she not stand firm? "Sorry for saying things that are factually true, I guess I have dyslexia and read things wrong"

I mean, yeah, Omar could apologize "for her hurtful comments" the way that the House Democratic leadership has asked her to do. Obviously, she should stand firm instead. But it's not like Pelosi doesn't have leverage to extract an apology.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

I can't believe I'm saying this but Dems Are A Waste.

Jesus Christ, what the gently caress is wrong with them.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

axeil posted:

welcome into the fold brother.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

What does AOC say about Israel?

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

theflyingorc posted:

Huh, that's actually a lot LOWER than i would have expected, then. Although, obviously, things get muddied because it's only "most", rather than "all who think it's a reason". I'd be interested in getting everyone who thinks it's a reason at all

I mean, the 52% or whatever sort of is that, but when you look at the list of questions and how "prophecy" is vague, it isn't hard to see a lot of people going "yea there is some sort of israel prophecy" and checking the box in addition to other things.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
For daring to say that our donors have is by the balls, the donors who have us by the balls want you to apologize

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

axeil posted:

It appears as if they're too afraid to do anything but eat their own.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
"Legitimate criticism of Israel is protected by free speech"

The hell it is.

Goddamnit, screw the "Old Guard"; the quicker they all either die or get replaced the better.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

axeil posted:

They want to take the new wave down a peg before they change the status quo

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

"Legitimate criticism of Israel is protected by free speech"

The hell it is.

The truck is the word legitimate

Nothing counts as legitimate

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

CuddleCryptid posted:

Cool Nancy Pelosi is back to being poo poo again
She never stopped.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
When did a joint statement about Trump's antisemitism, when his rhetoric incited someone to send mail bombs to George Soros, happen?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
This would have been a way better statement

https://twitter.com/jstreetdotorg/status/1095020295298207744

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

TheGreyGhost posted:

This completely ignores the actual point of where the danger in Evangelical though has been by the way. The existence of Israel is sort of just a prong of a more thorough look. The danger in evangelicals is more a matter of the shift from Post-Millenialism to Pre-Millenialism over the last 150 years.

This is a very interesting post and you are covering a lot of ground in a condensed way. You are under no obligation to teach me more, but can you recommend a book or other source where I can learn more about this? I am a lifelong agnostic and my knowledge of religion is rooted in Asimov's Guide to the Bible and reading various other religious texts, not modern religious movements. Thank you for your insight.

ZypherIM posted:

The uh, linked picture is sort of doing a lovely job of representing the report I think, and the article not much better.

Link from the article to the paper: http://lifewayresearch.com/wp-conte...tudy-Report.pdf

Thank you for your criticism. In my rush to counter the wave of anecdote, I didn't read the article and associated charts carefully enough and should have tracked down the original source as you did. Beliefs and cultures are messy and there are certainly more ways to slice this issue than a belief in Israel's place in prophecy, though I am hoping to read more about that belief after reading TheGreyGhost's post.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
LOL at goons who can't figure out that Nancy is an effective politician but also not a good person.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

We want Israel to exist in its current geographic location and be able defend itself.

We want Israel to be a Jewish Homeland, ie an ethnostate.

We don't want Israel to be a colonial or imperialist country.

American Jews are basically faced with a Zionist version of the theodicy question, where there's no obvious way to square the circle of a multicultural ethnostate. Of course the collective answer is going to be complicated and difficult to parse, even without the flak from Israeli lobbyists making things even more confused.

But despite their fairly successful attempts to conflate the two, Israel lobbyists don't represent American Jews, and the catering to those lobbyists is only tangential to catering to American Jews. That's why Republicans support Israel despite American Jews not being their constituency.

Edit: rereading this, I realize it makes it sound like I'm speaking as a Jewish person. This is just an observation of someone close to the Jewish community but I am not myself Jewish.

Tibalt fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 11, 2019

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Wait wait wait, what did she say that was anti-semetic? I missed this

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

you release a loving joint statement when one of your own says something objectively true but not when republican congresspeople and the loving president drive someone to massacre jews. unfuckingbelievable.

It worked on Corbyn in the U.K., and it worked in the U.S. too.

The right is going to weaponize the left’s wokeness against us, and it’s going to work.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jaxyon posted:

LOL at goons who can't figure out that Nancy is an effective politician but also not a good person.

it's pretty bad politics to go "no i was legitimately applauding him" when your people are saying how awesome you were for owning him.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Nebalebadingdong posted:

I hope they do. This machine will turn its ugly head on them eventually anyway. It already has in a few cases.

Good post! Evangelical theology is such a cluster gently caress. White evangelicals only care about supporting white supremacy. Their racism, islamophobia and antisemitism inform their stances on Israel, just like every other white right winger. The actual beliefs are just window dressing

Evangelical theology is heresy and I wish the non-evangelical Christians in this country were more unified and had the balls to fight back against it

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

SocketWrench posted:

She referenced money, in any way, when discussing Israel

that's it

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Groovelord Neato posted:

nancy peolsi sucks and has always sucked and it was funny during the shutdown when everyone's all lol at the goons that used to say she sucks. even her applause everyone was celebrating was her actually approving of what trump said. she wasn't even smart enough politically to go oh yeah i was totally making GBS threads on him.

It proves that she's an effective politician in the sense that she's very effective at holding onto her job and fooling people. People were genuinely praising her as some sort of god warrior genius for saying no to an unpopular idiot president with no strategy during a shutdown over a single issue that is entirely unpopular. And even then I wasn't sure she'd keep the line. I'm still not, and I'm not certain that the short-term reopening of the government was even a good idea. All the centrists here said that once the government opened there was NO way it would be shut down again three weeks later and, well, here we are.

She's trash and has always been trash, but sometimes she's handed a royal flush and people call her a poker god because she didn't fold.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

TheScott2K posted:

Toxx it.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

The only regime you cannot ever criticize is Israel

For gently caress sakes, you can criticize the US government but not Israel. What the gently caress?

They just turn the "anti-semetism" poo poo into Islamophobia

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 11, 2019

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

1glitch0 posted:

It proves that she's an effective politician in the sense that she's very effective at holding onto her job and fooling people. People were genuinely praising her as some sort of god warrior genius for saying no to an unpopular idiot president with no strategy during a shutdown over a single issue that is entirely unpopular.

In fairness to us, we're used to Democrats caving no matter the situation, even when they hold every card in the deck, so Pelosi standing firm was a new development.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

SocketWrench posted:

Nothing. She said that its messed up how much money that Israli lobbying groups put into US Politics and everyone went "She said Jews have lots of money! anti-Semitic!"

Any criticism of Israel is strictly forbidden

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Jaxyon posted:

Agreed

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

This little incident should let you all know exactly what the Democrats are going to do it they take back power and how sincere they are being in any of their recent leftist messaging.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
I honest-to-God hope that Omar doesn't apologize. I really hope she doesn't back down one iota.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

TheScott2K posted:

I don't think he'll win the popular vote but the dem lineup is such a poo poo show so far it looks bad for the presidency.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Nebalebadingdong posted:

I mean, the racism, islamaphobia, and antisemitism all fall within the theological justification. Other popular religions? The largest obstacle to conversion, which is the only act that really matters outside of the group. The only reason they like Israel is because their theology dictates that Jesus converts all the Jews later on. Islamaphobia? Large, alternative religion with similar evangelical qualities that they see as an existential threat/potential enemy in the Tribulation conflict. Racism? Think about the classic antebellum refrain of "they're slaves so that we can convert/'civilise' them". To an evangelical, those means are justified if the plantation owner saved their eternal soul by converting them. Then remember that Evangelicals/Baptists are fairly intertwined and geographically what states they tend to show up from. It's a bit of a chicken/egg thing whether the religion led to the prejudice or the prejudice shifted the religion (though I lean more towards the latter), but it's a feedback loop at this point. For years, mainline churches refusal to go along with the dumb Pre-Millennialist stuff kept it at bay, but the death of mainline churches and shift towards evangelical ones has made things worse. The only real hope is that Millennials stay irreligious and just find ways to starve these assholes of resources.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

SocketWrench posted:

This is what people are losing their poo poo over:

https://twitter.com/IlhanMN/status/...israel-comments

https://twitter.com/IlhanMN/status/...israel-comments

She's pointing out that many American politicians are taking money from AIPAC, a group that's been pushing laws nationwide to criminalize criticism of Israel's policies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I honest-to-God hope that Omar doesn't apologize. I really hope she doesn't back down one iota.

She should drop an 'I'm sorry you misconstrued my statement'.