Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

St. Dogbert posted:

It worked on Corbyn in the U.K., and it worked in the U.S. too.

It didn't actually work on Corbyn because he's not a coward who backs down at the first sign of confrontation.

Jaxyon posted:

LOL at goons who can't figure out that Nancy is an effective politician but also not a good person.

Extremely effective politics to join in on a smear campaign against one of your own but stay mum when your opposition says poo poo that's a million times worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

:toxx: TRUMP WILL WIN IN 2020

:toxx: TRUMP WILL WIN THE POPULAR VOTE IN 2020

:toxx: TRUMP WILL NEVER BE INDICTED

:toxx: TRUMP WILL NEVER BE REMOVED

:toxx: TRUMP WILL NOT RESIGN

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Feinne posted:

She should drop an 'I'm sorry you misconstrued my statement'.

"I'm sorry if you were offended by my pointing out that pro-Israel PACs donate a ton of money to influence American politics. My bad."

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

axeil posted:

I can't believe I'm saying this but Dems Are A Waste.

Jesus Christ, what the gently caress is wrong with them.

Welcome.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

axeil posted:

I can't believe I'm saying this but Dems Are A Waste.

Jesus Christ, what the gently caress is wrong with them.

It's really quite simple. At the highest echelons the Democratic Party has become dominated by individuals who have no coherent core ideology or actual bleach set but or however extremely skilled at reading political tealeaves and/or manipulating the existing party apparatus to their favor. This results in empowering a bunch of shallow amoral sociopaths whom in turn treat the entire arena of politics as if it's some sort of game that can only be won by adopting the right public stances at the most opportune time.

As myself and numerous other posters in this thread have been trying to say for years, Centrist are lovely self-interestes assholes and will side with the powerful against the weak every single loving time it really matters.

That said- welcome to the fold comrade :love:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

It’s almost sad most dictatorships do this for their own country, not a completely separate one who pays them off.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

welcome into the fold brother.

Where do I get my DSA card? :v:

The more basic thing about this is, why the gently caress even bother putting out a statement? Who is sitting there with baited breath waiting for the DNC to chime in on this?

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

TheScott2K posted:

Some of these are more unlikely than others, but this takes the cake.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Chelsea is just as lovely as her scumbag parents which isn't surprising.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Radish posted:

This little incident should let you all know exactly what the Democrats are going to do it they take back power and how sincere they are being in any of their recent leftist messaging.

Yeah man might as well just give up all hope.

What is this lame poo poo? The second anyone with a D next to their name makes a mistake or does something wrong everyone is falling over themselves to declare both sides-ism.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Priapus Unbound posted:

I can dig this. AAVE is happily coopted by corporations to make money, but the moment AAVE is used in the political arena it's diminished and deliberately twisted. Black culture is great for stealing from but can't be allowed to have value of its own.

You nailed it.

Oh man, guys. Guys. Remember the last time I said it's blackface all the way down?

It's blackface all the way down.
https://twitter.com/mevpromotions/status/1094992516821196803

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYOjWnS4cMY

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

axeil posted:

The more basic thing about this is, why the gently caress even bother putting out a statement? Who is sitting there with baited breath waiting for the DNC to chime in on this?

AIPAC?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

axeil posted:

It's all about the benjamins?

e: gently caress yeah post combo ^^

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Cerebral Bore posted:

Extremely effective politics to join in on a smear campaign against one of your own but stay mum when your opposition says poo poo that's a million times worse.

That's because she and a ton of people in the party take a ton of cash from AIPAC and she is a big fundraiser for the party.

Politics sucks dude, sorry you had to find it out this way.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Considering how she hasn’t even deleted the original tweet I doubt she’ll issue an apology.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

TheScott2K posted:

:toxx: TRUMP WILL WIN IN 2020

:toxx: TRUMP WILL NEVER BE INDICTED

:toxx: TRUMP WILL NEVER BE REMOVED

:toxx: TRUMP WILL NOT RESIGN

nice meltdown

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

CascadeBeta posted:

Yeah man might as well just give up all hope.

What is this lame poo poo? The second anyone with a D next to their name makes a mistake or does something wrong everyone is falling over themselves to declare both sides-ism.

The maxim "There are good Democrats; there are no good Republicans" remains true.

Just have to get more good ones into positions of power. 2018 was a good start; the Old Guard is already feeling the earth quaking beneath them and they're scared.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Considering how she hasn’t even deleted the original tweet I doubt she’ll issue an apology.

She can just let it hang out there like a fart in a crowded elevator until Donny Peepants shuts the government down on Friday again and the air traffic controllers walk out within 24 hours.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

axeil posted:

allow me to explain this in a way you might understand.

imagine that your congressman said one word about nationalizing the banks.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

"redbone" is so much better than "this is america" and shoulda won best song in 2016. (it lost to uptown funk wtf).

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Kith posted:

nice meltdown

Nothing would make me happier than to lose this toxx.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

theflyingorc posted:

She referenced money, in any way, when discussing Israel

that's it

Jesus loving christ. All the racist bullshit going on and they attack this? What a loving waste. Dems learn nothing

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

ZypherIM posted:

The uh, linked picture is sort of doing a lovely job of representing the report I think, and the article not much better.

Link from the article to the paper: http://lifewayresearch.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Evangelical-Attitudes-Toward-Israel-Research-Study-Report.pdf

For example,

"I support the existence, security, and prosperity of the State of
Israel but don’t feel the need to support everything Israel does"

had the highest support among the 4 options at 42%. "No opinion on Israel" was at 32%, and

"I support the existence, security, and prosperity of the State of
Israel no matter what Israel does"

was at 24%. "Israel shouldn't exist" was at 1%.

The graphic uses data from the "which of these options contributes to your support of the state of israel" question, and even then only half are saying prophecy is a reason at all. If you look at the question of "what is the main reason you support the state of israel", prophecy drops to 12%, while "the bible says it belongs to the jews" is at 33%, "every nation has a right to exist" is at 16%, and "the bible says christains should support jews" has 14%.

The answers that polled lower were: "israel is the historic jewish homeland" (8%), "israel is the US's closest ally in the region" (7%), "jesus was jewish" (3%), "other" (1%), "none of these" (1%), "not sure" (5%).

It also sort of covers a point I was making earlier: this study has 12 different denominations of over 1% preference, and another 19 at 1% or less. It doesn't break down any of the answers based on denomination sadly, but you're going to get a *ton* of different belief emphasis between denominations.

Oh yea, Evangelical beliefs were defined as people responding to these 4 statements with "strongly agree" (on the strong disagree - somewhat disagree - somewhat agree - strongly agree scale), and only people who qualified thus were surveyed.

"The Bible is the highest authority for what I believe"
"It is very important for me personally to encourage non-Christians to trust Jesus Christ as their Savior"
"Jesus Christ’s death on the cross is the only sacrifice that could remove the penalty of my sin"
"Only those who trust in Jesus Christ alone as their Savior receive God’s free gift of eternal salvation"

Even with all of that, only 12% feel that prophecy is the main reason to support the state of israel. It is a dangerous 12%, and well-connected, but it is *far* from the majority of Evangelicals. If you were raised in a situation where you were taught this stuff, I'm sorry for you. I lucked out on that aspect, and I see the denomination of the church I was raised in there at 3% and it was quite conservative/fundamental. I hope you got out like I did.

This is a disingenuous read of the study, for example, 80% of respondents believed that the rebirth of the Jewish state was due to biblical prophecy.

People should just read it themselves.

http://lifewayresearch.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Evangelical-Attitudes-Toward-Israel-Research-Study-Report.pdf

It's also a poorly conducted study (there are spelling errors in the study write up for example, and a lot of the questions are very poorly written) done by a biased group that exists to sell research to churches.

At the end of the day all we really know is that, in addition to a lot of lovely beliefs, some evangelicals support Israel no matter what because of biblical prophecy.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I honest-to-God hope that Omar doesn't apologize. I really hope she doesn't back down one iota.

I hope she doubles down with "Israel is a modern Apartheid state and its leadership should be tried for war crimes"

If they're gonna call you an anti-semite for mild criticism of Israel, might as well go all in.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Stickman posted:

This is what people are losing their poo poo over:

https://twitter.com/IlhanMN/status/...israel-comments

She's pointing out that many American politicians are taking money from AIPAC, a group that's been pushing laws nationwide to criminalize criticism of Israel's policies.

They’ve been waiting for an excuse to attack her.

It’s amazing how coordinated springing it has been.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

"redbone" is so much better than "this is america" and shoulda won best song in 2016.

Hot take but I agree.

Also Janelle Monae's Dirty Computer should have won AOTY.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Jaxyon posted:

That's because she and a ton of people in the party take a ton of cash from AIPAC and she is a big fundraiser for the party.

You know, the admission that you equate politics with grifting suddenly makes your posting make a lot more sense.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Stickman posted:

This is what people are losing their poo poo over:

She's pointing out that many American politicians are taking money from AIPAC, a group that's been pushing laws nationwide to criminalize criticism of Israel's policies.

What makes it more comical is she's not using the "trope" of Jewish people loving money, she's directing it towards american politicians. It's all about bought politicians protecting their paychecks.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

"redbone" is so much better than "this is america" and shoulda won best song in 2016.

It's a great song but the last thing America needs is white people writ large to learn about another word we'll constantly misuse

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Hillary was intensely unpopular and riding a huge wave of misogyny and decades of coordinated propaganda against her and she won the popular vote, but sure dude, Trump's going to win everything nothing matters.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Like Jesus Christ, people. If you feel this passionately about how this is being handled there's something you can do: Call your loving reps! Go protest! Get out there any get your voice heard! Because sitting here on this dead forum complaining about how the democrats aren't listening to you when you're not saying anything makes you part of the problem.

(Obviously this doesn't apply to people who are already doing such things.)

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

The loving criticism of Israel is antisemitism poo poo pisses me off

Israel does not represent all jewish people, just like Saudi Arabia doesn't represent all Muslims, and the Vatican doesn't represent all christians; go gently caress yourself.

loving Benny has done such an excellent job silencing even outside dissent to his insane apartheid state.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

axeil posted:

I hope she doubles down with "Israel is a modern Apartheid state and its leadership should be tried for war crimes"

If they're gonna call you an anti-semite for mild criticism of Israel, might as well go all in.

That’s like giving in to your temptation to tell your boss to go gently caress himself and then coming to the realization that you just lost your job and your mortgage payment is due next week.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I’m pretty sure if she said something about how both sides need to work together for a solution it would be the same result based on how coordinated this has been.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Koalas March posted:

You nailed it.

Oh man, guys. Guys. Remember the last time I said it's blackface all the way down?

It's blackface all the way down.
https://twitter.com/mevpromotions/status/1094992516821196803

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYOjWnS4cMY

Who the gently caress thought that design was anything other than ugly poo poo no matter the colors? Jesus gently caress

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

$10 is nothing. Reregging a toxxed account should be like $100

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I hope she doesn't apologize. She didn't say anything wrong, even their purposefully misleading "understanding" of what she said is not wrong.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

The maxim "There are good Democrats; there are no good Republicans" remains true.

Just have to get more good ones into positions of power. 2018 was a good start; the Old Guard is already feeling the earth quaking beneath them and they're scared.

It's this. The dems loving suck and their leadership is like 98% useless cowards, but there are good dems and that number actually got bigger last election.

There is literally no good republican in power. I'd wager 99% of republican voters are also bad people but I'm willing to wiggle those numbers around, but no republican who actually has power in this country is a good human being.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Cerebral Bore posted:

It didn't actually work on Corbyn because he's not a coward who backs down at the first sign of confrontation.

I think it's hurt his popularity.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Jaxyon posted:

Hillary was intensely unpopular and riding a huge wave of misogyny and decades of coordinated propaganda against her and she won the popular vote, but sure dude, Trump's going to win everything nothing matters.

He is. They're all going to show up to keep the White House, and the Democrats are going to nominate someone with no plan who expects to win by default (again).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Jaxyon posted:

actually your politics suck my dude, not the people's mad about this