Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Darko posted:

Also, Nolan did part in TDKR too. And we had a two part animated adaptation. And they did part in Batman TAS. I've seen enough takes on that story by now, honestly.

Agreed, we should move on to adapting The Dark Knight Strikes Again.
:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I love Meloni but fuuuuuck no, he's not the right fit at all. Meloni would make a better Joker than Batman.

Meloni would be perhaps the horniest Batman, and that would be refreshing after the recent trend of Batmen who are at best subliminally horny rather than having a prominent sexual anxiety. Like the nervousness of Keaton mixed with the physicality of Affleck.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Darko posted:

Also, Nolan did part in TDKR too. And we had a two part animated adaptation. And they did part in Batman TAS. I've seen enough takes on that story by now, honestly.

Dark Knight Rises and Dark Knight Re turns couldn't be more dissimilar in tone or plot or characters or themes or anything.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gyges posted:

To further his public persona as a rich douchebag, Bruce Wayne is never seen without a cowboy hat. Not even one that might be acceptable if Gotham City was in Texas either. One that Kid Rock wouldn't even be caught dead in.

We're overdue for a Radioactive Man movie.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

Dark Knight Rises and Dark Knight Re turns couldn't be more dissimilar in tone or plot or characters or themes or anything.

DKRises has plot elements of all of the most popular bat-sagas and wears it on its sleeve to the point of including stuff from Batman: The Motion Picture in it. It just takes the basic points and turns them into something else entirely (which is far more interesting, to do, imo). I mean, yeah if you ignore the plot point of an aging Batman who retired trying to get his groove back against a giant muscleman in the sewers, losing, coming back and beating him, then faking his death and retiring as a symbol to have new people take up the mantle, no plot points at all. It takes just as many elements from Knightfall, No Man's Land, etc. as it does that and the other movies, and the cartoons, and makes kind of a tribute to the most known of Batman.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Darko posted:

DKRises has plot elements of all of the most popular bat-sagas and wears it on its sleeve to the point of including stuff from Batman: The Motion Picture in it. It just takes the basic points and turns them into something else entirely (which is far more interesting, to do, imo). I mean, yeah if you ignore the plot point of an aging Batman who retired trying to get his groove back against a giant muscleman in the sewers, losing, coming back and beating him, then faking his death and retiring as a symbol to have new people take up the mantle, no plot points at all. It takes just as many elements from Knightfall, No Man's Land, etc. as it does that and the other movies, and the cartoons, and makes kind of a tribute to the most known of Batman.

I guess I see the broad strokes similarities now you phrase it in such a way but the context and idea behind all of that is so different. The aging Batman in Returns
was a deranged alcoholic who envisioned every crook he saw as the muggers who killed his parents and had a sadistic streak a mile long. He led an army of fanatical vigilantes to bring law and order to Gotham instead of directing the righteous forces of the police to subdue revolutionaries.

I just didn't like Rises outside of Bane.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Dr. Memory posted:

And now I want to hear Patrick do Conan's prayer to Crom before battle.

Now I want to see Patrick Stewart punch a camel.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I can't look at Chris Meloni without seeing a cop. Dudes a Bullock, not a Batman

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Meloni can do it!!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

wyoming posted:

Agreed, we should move on to adapting The Dark Knight Strikes Again.
:getin:

A more self-aware version of this that looks like Spider-Verse (the comics colors are ready there) would fuckin' rule.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Do the best of both worlds and do a Batman RIP adaptation where Pattinson is Batman for most of the runtime but Meloni is the Batman of Zur-En-Arr and Batmite.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

That's a real shot from the movie.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I like MCU movies more than most people here, but Civil War was dull poo poo on every level, and the absolute "peak" of their jihad against the concepts of contrast and saturation.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I think it's alright but some of the stuff they get away in that movie is shocking from a simple craft standpoint.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Was watching Infinity War the other day and it hadn't occured to me what the age difference between Wanda and Vision is. In the comics pretty much anyone who's not over the age of retirement or under the age of majority is drawn the same way so it doesn't stand out but in the movie Wanda is in her 20s and dating a robot played by a 47-year old man. The character is given life as stated in the movie partly based on brainwaves from Stark and Banner, played by actors in their 50s. But Vision's physical time alive is obviously only a couple years at most and mentally obviously inherits a lot from JARVIS, who is I'm assuming is not much older than a decade in his last version. She's dating an old man-child? Or is it old-man child?

Lobok fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 11, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Vision is however old Jarvis is

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Great example of the rule of thirds (there are three colours).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Say what you want about Snyder, him being crazy about recreating Renaissance paintings makes for a lot more interesting shots than a glorified TV series.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Lobok posted:

Was watching Infinity War the other day and it hadn't occured to me what the age difference between Wanda and Vision is. In the comics pretty much anyone who's not over the age of retirement or under the age of majority is drawn the same way so it doesn't stand out but in the movie Wanda is in her 20s and dating a robot played by a 47-year old man. The character is given life as stated in the movie partly based on brainwaves from Stark and Banner, played by actors in their 50s. But Vision's physical time alive is obviously only a couple years at most and mentally obviously inherits a lot from JARVIS, who is I'm assuming is not much older than a decade in his last version. She's dating an old man-child? Or is it old-man child?

It's like when Data was tempted by the Borges Queen in First Contact for 0.68 seconds and he tells Picard that, for an android, it's an eternity. Assuming Vision operates at super computer speed, he's relatively much older. Technically.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yeah, you see, Vision is actually 100 years old because in Anime :blastu:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Say what you want about Snyder, him being crazy about recreating Renaissance paintings makes for a lot more interesting shots than a glorified TV series.

It's amazing, really. I try to find some sort of symmetry or structure in the way they stand there but my eyes just slide right off.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah I've mentioned this before, Snyder films make great trailers and still shots. But horrendous movies. A lot of people here seem to think the visuals are all a film is, which is why they can't accept the strengths of the MCU.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Yeah I've mentioned this before, Snyder films make great trailers and still shots. And great movies.
Fixed this for you.

;)

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Yeah I've mentioned this before, Snyder films make great trailers and still shots. But horrendous movies. A lot of people here seem to think the visuals are all a film is, which is why they can't accept the strengths of the MCU.

No, there's sounds too.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Good advice, I'll try closing my eyes the next time I have to watch a Marvel film:

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Films are mostly visual, yes, being a visual medium. They also need fantastic scores; even silent films had that. They also need to say something, which should be conveyed through visuals + dialogue. They should also pull some kind of emotion, which can be handled with a mix of score/visuals/dialogue.

Put it like this; Silvestri's work on Avengers was some of his worst stuff; and he absolutely drove movies like Forrest Gump, Back to the Future, and Predator with fantastic scores. Even his midrange work on Ready Player 1 did more. Zimmer's Man of Steel was some of the best score work lately. So, if I cut out the dialogue to Avengers/MoS, I would have an ugly looking, generic sounding mess in one, and a beautiful emotion drawing experience in the other. If I cut out the music; then at best you would say "even" (and I wouldn't, cause Whedon). And this isn't even getting into subtextual layers and stuff.

A lot of people here just pay attention to a lot more elements of film than the average person. The average person doesn't even actively notice score or cinematography and watches film strictly for plot or base entertainment like a network TV show (that isn't something like Hannibal, which goes further than average with those factors).

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

I respect the faithful recreation of how Tim in IT arranges his toys on his desk.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i accept the strengths of the mcu: good-looking charismatic actors joking with each other

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

The MCUs strength is that it's a soap opera for nerds, where said nerds watch a movie to see their favourite copy of Tony Stark throw zingers at the other copies of tony stark, to be teased of future scenes where a Stark quips with other Mcu characters, and "epic scenes" half hazardly recreated from their favourite comic books (speaking of, how the everloving gently caress did they not include "we would have words with thee" in AoU? Whedon you hack).

Aside that, there's nothing of merit. The score is generic, the script is nonsensical, the visuals are garbage.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

What's horrendous about them?

What is strong about Marvel movies?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Actual soap operas have mcu beat in terms of plot, but they are about even visually

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Brother Entropy posted:

i accept the strengths of the mcu: good-looking charismatic actors joking with each other

None of them are charismatic.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

What do you think of as a “strength” of the MCU? I’m not being facetious or picking a fight, just genuinely curious. Like they make money, but I can’t really think of anything they’re particularly definitive at.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

They're likable though

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

McCloud posted:

They're likable though

:psyduck:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

"Charismatic" doesn't mean that someone is popular or charming or whatever. Charisma is an aura of exceptionality that compels and inspires others. It's not something you have because you can deliver a funny line.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Blood Boils posted:

Actual soap operas have mcu beat in terms of plot, but they are about even visually

The MCU doesn't have the balls to pull most of the notable soap opera twists.

It does however have the most Chrises of any current franchise.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The strength of Marvel movies is that they are breezy sequences of easy character work, quippy dialogue, and decent action. And they dwell fully within the neoliberal view of reality and the myth of Great Men so they don't make anyone uncomfortable.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MCU is very easy to follow and accessible. The DC universe I am not so sure. I recently introduced someone to Man of Steel, it was their first time seeing the film, and they stopped after Krypton blew up because nothing about that whole opening sequence made sense to them. They felt the Codex, why the planet was blowing up in the first place, and why no one tried to leave, made no sense and setup what was ultimately a pointless movie with no point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Lol