Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4052623/update-for-windows-defender-antimalware-platform

quote:

Secure Boot issue in version 4.18.1901.7

Some devices that are running Windows 10 do not start if they have Secure Boot turned on.

We are working on this issue and plan to provide a fix in a future update. To work around this issue in the meantime, follow these steps:

:smugdon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I bet its a revoked cert or something similar.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

baka kaba posted:

Is there a good kiosk mode for windows, that locks out the keyboard (aside from whatever key combo closes it)? Basically so if my 3-year-old nephew decides he wants to "do some work" I can give him something with an autoyping webpage, without him being able to hit Win+P or something within 2 seconds of touching the keyboard. I don't really want to make a separate account if I can help it...

This might work https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/configuration/guidelines-for-assigned-access-app

You'll need a separate account, but it's all easy to get running. Have that account autologon, and you can just restart and hand him the machine. You'll just need to log off and on into your account once he's done.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

This might work https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/configuration/guidelines-for-assigned-access-app

You'll need a separate account, but it's all easy to get running. Have that account autologon, and you can just restart and hand him the machine. You'll just need to log off and on into your account once he's done.

Oh hey thanks - it's a Home machine though and from digging around that doesn't support Assigned Access (or any of the other methods). Thanks for looking though!

I'll probably just yoink the keyboard plug out

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
The last couple of weeks I noticed that the start menu search would randomly stop working.
I check task manager and the process gets suspended:

Can I control this behavior? Turn it off completely? Like, why would I ever want search to be suspended, it's how I launch every application...

Battery or performance concerns aren't a problem, I'm on a desktop with fairly high performing hardware and have power settings set to high performance.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

SirViver posted:

If you do a clean install it's probably fine.

I recently got offered the update from 1803 and it didn't work. It installed for quite a while (as these feature updates do) and then rebooted to a black screen with only a white mouse cursor visible. After waiting some time I rebooted manually to a now completely black screen. Finally rebooted again to "undoing changes". Thankfully this worked, so I'm now back on 1803 again. In the Windows update history it shows as failed to install with error code 0xc1900101. According to Google this is most likely driver related somehow. I now downloaded the tools to analyze this issue and created a bootable USB with the Media Creation Tool, but haven't attempted the update since.
I realize this was a while ago, but I managed to resolve the issue and thought I'd post my experiences on the off chance it helps someone someday.

I finally got around to trying the update again. This time I used the media creation tool to perform the update, however it had exactly the same result as the previous auto-downloaded one. The exact error codes reported afterwards were 0xC1900101 - 0x4000D, which, again, point to generic driver install issues. Unlike last time I didn't clean up the setup artifacts though, so I could use setup diagnosis tool (SetupDiag.exe) to analyze the problem. It worked for quite some time and... didn't find anything. However, it left a zip file of (parsed?) logs, one of those being setupapi.dev.log. In there the last entry did show an error trying to install NVIDIA display drivers:
code:
>>>  [Device Install (Hardware initiated) - PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1B81&SUBSYS_119D10DE&REV_A1\4&bab4994&0&0008]
     dvi:      Created Driver Node:
     dvi:           HardwareID   - PCI\CC_0300
     dvi:           InfName      - C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\display.inf_amd64_981681cc88e8d010\display.inf
     dvi:           DevDesc      - Microsoft Basic Display Adapter
     dvi:      Created Driver Node:
     dvi:           HardwareID   - PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1B81
     dvi:           InfName      - C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_54bd1f10ac116cd5\nv_dispi.inf
     dvi:           DevDesc      - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
!!!  dvi:                CoInstaller 2: failed(0xe0e00102)!
!!!  dvi:                Error 0xe0e00102: The required line was not found in the INF.
     dvi:           {DIF_INSTALLDEVICE - exit(0xe0e00102)} 16:44:45.511
!!!  dvi:           Error(e0e00102) installing device!
!    dvi:           Queueing up error report for device install failure.
     dvi:      {Install Device - exit(0xe0e00102)} 16:44:45.511
     dvi: {Core Device Install - exit(0xe0e00102)} 16:44:45.511
<<<  [Exit status: FAILURE(0xe0e00102)]

Armed with this information I did two things:
  1. Updated to the latest NVIDIA drivers (even though mine weren't that old) using the perform clean install option which I normally don't use.
  2. Unticked the "download latest drivers" option the Windows setup gives you when starting the update process.
Not sure which of the two did the trick, but the update now completed successfully.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Windows stopped recognizing a Bluetooth device and I had to install a command line tool from 2012 to re-pair it because removing the device from Settings or Device Manager or Devices & Printers doesn't actually remove it. Thanks, Microsoft.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
In more adventures from "This Weekend", sometimes, Windows doesn't want to run a given game on your dGPU, just because you said so.

No, you need to fire up this options window, which I have NO loving IDEA HOW TO GET TO NORMALLY, BECAUSE gently caress YOU AND YOUR loving INCOHERENT GODDAMN INTERFACE MICROSOFT gently caress YOU TO HELL, and set things manually.

You can navigate directly there by opening the start menu and typing in, "graphics settings" and it should be the first result.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Windows 10 is such an amazing piece of software.

How to stress your CPU to 100% using only right click.
https://gfycat.com/distortedarcticbeardeddragon

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

You can navigate directly there by opening the start menu and typing in, "graphics settings" and it should be the first result.

Pressing the "back" button at the top gives a hint. It bring you to the Display page for configuring resolution, multi-monitor setup, etc. Scroll to the very bottom there for the link to that page.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Im_Special posted:

Windows 10 is such an amazing piece of software.

How to stress your CPU to 100% using only right click.
https://gfycat.com/distortedarcticbeardeddragon

To be fair, like 25% of that is ffmpeg, and 40-50% was a service host. Did that person post their specs, too, or are we supposed to figure them out from just how much of their CPU ffmpeg is eating?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

astral posted:

To be fair, like 25% of that is ffmpeg, and 40-50% was a service host. Did that person post their specs, too, or are we supposed to figure them out from just how much of their CPU ffmpeg is eating?

Try it yourself.

e: here, if you can't be bothered

Oh, specs, like that would matter for something like this. I got i7 4720HQ. And I'm on 1809 Windows.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 11, 2019

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I just did and... nothing? I'm still on 1803 though.

eames
May 9, 2009

Probably related to one of the third party context menu options like the Nvidia Control Panel

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

astral posted:

Both the explorer and service host loads are caused by the clicking. So the clicks are only using up 75% but it's also building up a backlog.

Specs don't particularly matter when it's a simple menu covering 3% of the screen; it should be able to redraw it every single frame with negligible load.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Sininu posted:

Try it yourself.

e: here, if you can't be bothered

Oh, specs, like that would matter for something like this. I got i7 4720HQ. And I'm on 1809 Windows.

I can get cpu usage up to like 4% at most, 4790k/1803 windows and I do have the nvidia control panel context menu option.

edit: typo
edit2: are you using any sort of language or locale pack and/or non-en-US windows? I wouldn't rule that out as a possible factor, too. They've made worse mistakes.

astral fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 11, 2019

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

eames posted:

Probably related to one of the third party context menu options like the Nvidia Control Panel

Na, I think it's just a lovely OS.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I was only able to get it to bump about 10% above idle.... but only if I set a background, because my background is usually flat black.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Tried it on both my work computers (1803 and 1809), couldn't get it to happen. Both have the Intel Graphics options added to the context menu.

On my home desktop with 1803, it does happen, but that machine has the Nvidia Control panel option. It dies down after a few seconds.

I would bet it is a 3rd party context menu handler causing it. I am pretty sure Explorer calls into any registered context menu handler on any right click in Explorer. (i.e. context menu handlers being things like 7Zip, WinZip, Nvidia, Intel, etc.. ) When these things misbehave they can cause some weird issues. (Adobe I am looking squarely at you.)

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I can get my 4790K up to ~80% doing that, but I have 7 different apps adding icons to the menu that are doing whatever they do every time so I feel like that's the most reasonable explanation.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

wolrah posted:

I can get my 4790K up to ~80% doing that, but I have 7 different apps adding icons to the menu that are doing whatever they do every time so I feel like that's the most reasonable explanation.

Im_Special posted it happening with nothing added to the menu. I have a bunch of extra stuff (including the Intel and Nvidia control panels) and it doesn't happen for me. Could be anything!

I did just have to disable the context menu fading in and out today though, since it started sticking at barely visible and leaving ghost items when you click it. No idea where that came from

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

baka kaba posted:

Im_Special posted it happening with nothing added to the menu. I have a bunch of extra stuff (including the Intel and Nvidia control panels) and it doesn't happen for me. Could be anything!

I did just have to disable the context menu fading in and out today though, since it started sticking at barely visible and leaving ghost items when you click it. No idea where that came from

that's the ghost of steve ballmer leaving sweaty ghost stains on your screen

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Oh he must be trying to bury google (chrome)

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
It's worth noting that 100% CPU use is a worthless measurement these days because CPUs crank their speed up and down depending on load, but the task manager is always relative to whatever the current speed is. So your CPU could be sitting there never shifting up from idle, but task manager will say 50% because you're using 50% of the currently available processor power.

And that's on top of how task manager isn't exactly a high-precision tool in the first place. You need to dig into perfmon for meaningful data, task manager is just the lights on the dashboard.

Does the machine actually feel slow or hitch-y when you right-click? If so my guess would be that something has gotten hosed up, maybe in the registry goop that windows uses to build context menus.

FWIW on my system, 1803 with nvidia control panel on the menu, I can right-click like mad and explorer sits at 2%. On the other hand task manager thinks I have 12 CPUs and so even if a single-threaded task is actually maxed out it still says 9%.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Windows 10: Right click on desktop edition

Each peak is a desktop right click.

e: sysinternals process explorer agrees

2 or sometimes 3 out of the 4 cores jump to 20% on each click :psyduck:

Xik fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Feb 12, 2019

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

How it worked on my machine was the mouse movement was unaffected, and you could still interact with other stuff but there was a queue of ghosted context menus it had to work its way through displaying and maxing out the CPU only made that take longer.

sarr
Mar 24, 2008

Praise the Sun!
Happened here too. 1809 with nvidia in the context menu.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
It happens to me in Pro version 1809 both before and after I removed the nvidia control panel item from the right-click menu. Task Manager shows Windows Explorer and State Repository Service spiking my CPU.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
2007: Does it run Crysis?

2019: Does it run right click?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I was only able to get the Windows Explorer process to peak at about 3.3% CPU utilization. Win10 1803, four different programs adding their own context menu entries, i7-8705G CPU.

Maybe it's an Nvidia thing? :shrug:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I can't believe I'm chiming in to this stupid bit of the discussion, but I couldn't even get Explorer to register in the process table doing it. Rapid-fire right-clicking yielded gently caress all on my Ryzen 1700.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
On my work PC, it only maxes out a single core (12.5%), but at home it maxes all my cores up to 100% utilization. Both have NVidia graphics, though my work PC is still on 1709, whereas I have 1809 at home. Both PCs have fairly respectable i7 CPUs in the 4Ghz range.

Really looking forward to hearing what causes this and why.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
My system does it, but not quite as bad, CPU usage reports maybe %30 which is too much for a right click. Using an Nvidia 1070. 1809

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Lots of nVidia control panel correlation here. But I'm sure it's the OS that's the problem.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

AlexDeGruven posted:

Lots of nVidia control panel correlation here. But I'm sure it's the OS that's the problem.

I don't have the issue on 1803 with a 1080ti and the latest nvidia drivers with the nvidia control panel on the context menu so :shrug:

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

isndl posted:

Windows stopped recognizing a Bluetooth device and I had to install a command line tool from 2012 to re-pair it because removing the device from Settings or Device Manager or Devices & Printers doesn't actually remove it. Thanks, Microsoft.

What command line tool was it?

isndl
May 2, 2012

THF13 posted:

What command line tool was it?

"Bluetooth Command Line Tools". :v:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Last Chance posted:

that's the ghost of steve ballmer leaving sweaty ghost stains on your screen

Met the Ghost of Steven Ballmer at the Windows CE Device:
This is what I told him as I gazed into his eyes:
Text boxes were made for keys,
Menus made for mice,
Phones were made for sipping power off inside them.
Won't run all night
Can't run all day
Aniston ladies never sang all the doo dah day no, no, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

MagusDraco posted:

I don't have the issue on 1803 with a 1080ti and the latest nvidia drivers with the nvidia control panel on the context menu so :shrug:

I'm also suspecting that spinning/hybrid disks are a factor.