Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I watched Mortal Kombat so many times in VHS that I can't even consider another video game movie to be at the same level

Except for Street Fighter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Mortal Kombat certain had the best video game movie soundtrack and smh if you aren't humming it right now

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Then you get MK Annihilation which is probably the worst video game movie of all time, so in summary, Mortal Kombat is a land of contrasts.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I feel bad because I keep getting the cute Rain World cat eaten

hang in there

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

exquisite tea posted:

Then you get MK Annihilation which is probably the worst video game movie of all time

MKA is probably still better than anything Uwe Boll ever did.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

He walks through the raindrops...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id7DLq7bpTw

Also not yet mentioned, the Yakuza movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9hwuJ4nAcM

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
yeah are we talking western-only movies here

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
THere's that movie that RDR2 is based on.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

My plans this evening are to install New Vegas, install a bunch of mods, and then not play it

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Mortal kombat was as good as a game movie could be at the time, annihilation was horrible though

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The Ace Attorney movie owns.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Roth posted:

The Ace Attorney movie owns.

the stage plays are better. the first one is subbed on youtube

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Beat Tofu mode :cool:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I've been on such a long come down after a party on Saturday that I haven't played video games in over 2 days :negative:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

LawfulWaffle posted:

THere's that movie that RDR2 is based on.

mortal kombat annihilation

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i don't want to be at work, i want to be at home playing a video game!

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

My plans this evening are to install New Vegas, install a bunch of mods, and then not play it

That's the best part of modding.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Looper posted:

i don't want to be at work, i want to be at home playing a video game!

I am at home.... working. So close yet so far away from the video games. :negative:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I said come in! posted:

I am at home.... working. So close yet so far away from the video games. :negative:

Much like the open office, working from home has proven in most cases to be bad for workers.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

chumbler posted:

Much like the open office, working from home has proven in most cases to be bad for workers.

It would appear that all work, at home or remote, is bad.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'll never give up working from home, the pro's are too many.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tales of Woe posted:

isn't the walls thing basically just how it hides loading?

It absolutely is, but the game is a metroidvania even if its less so than its predecessors so youre going to be seeing absolute tons of these little animations in rapid frequency which hurts the flow. They also seem to he much longer than the actual loading needed as there are places where they just dont exist despite the area being massive versus the small rooms in the rest of the game as well as occasionally these doors only existing in one path of two through an area.

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm never gonna play it, what do you mean by earning your narrative? What does the game do that is bad?

The game was developmentally a mess and it shows; for example you can learn languages in the game with different mastery tiers but nothing needs the highest rank of mastery and theres no achievement for it.

In terms of narrative, its just a mess and no character growth is earned. From an early cutscene where a Jaguar decides to not kill Lara for absolutely no reason in cutscene so it can be a bossfight later and this being portrayed as foreshadowing except as mentiioned literally nothing comes of it. Youre introduced to the supernatural element of the game exactly once prior to the endgame and despite that first encounter going badly it just aligns itself with you at the end game because [scene missing]. A major two game antagonist is killed in a cutscene by someone else with no input from the player. The games entire narrative not only wouldnt have happened but the bad guys would have lost anyway without Lara.

The worst lack of earning is the ending. Without using a shitload of spoiler tags lets just say Lara at the end takes heart and learns a valuable piece of advice that will steer her life that gas never once before been hinted at or mentioned before and is delivered to her via the final boss, a man she has had approximately two lines of dialog with all game that werent a variation of "gently caress you" and whose actual motives are never revealed beyond "will use the mcguffin". Then the game goes into its super sad sacrifice bit except there has been no narrative of sacrifice leadiing to this for Lara and it doesnt happen anyway to no ill affect so why is that scene even in the game?

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I feel like such a plebe for loving Dead Rising 3 as much as I do.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Maybe this is bonkers of me but I want heavily story based games to go into new genres. Instead of having them all be third person adventures with shooting or stabbing, why not something like "Friday Night Lights: the Game" where you get this great and involving narrative married to a fresh setting and genre

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
If anyone could make a good football game again that would be amazing in itself.

Bring back NCAA football you cowards!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

James Woods Fan posted:

I feel like such a plebe for loving Dead Rising 3 as much as I do.

Dead Rising 3 is fun as heck. Its just a little rough developmentally and the timer too generous for moat people

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

If anyone could make a good football game again that would be amazing in itself.

Bring back NCAA football you cowards!

Blame the NCAA for that

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

precision posted:

Maybe this is bonkers of me but I want heavily story based games to go into new genres. Instead of having them all be third person adventures with shooting or stabbing, why not something like "Friday Night Lights: the Game" where you get this great and involving narrative married to a fresh setting and genre
that exists though, every sports game from the past couple years has a Big Story Mode. every sports game is now power pros

al-azad
May 28, 2009

precision posted:

I unironically love the Spike Lee basketball game from a few years ago and the other sports games with a goofball story thrown in but ultimately they sell just as well as the games without crazy features so the big AAA studios would rather just cut the crazy features so they can nickel and dime you on booster packs.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The Madden and FIFA story modes are basically "A sports movie with some interactive bits"

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

precision posted:

I think the difficulty there is that in many cases the story possibilities would be either very narrow to avoid feeling contrived or at least somewhat unrelated to the gameplay. That's not to say it can't be done, Pyre exists after all, but it requires both game development and writing chips that have not necessarily been incubated in the industry and certainly won't be allowed to exist in the AAA space.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 12, 2019

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I especially love the sports games that take the conceit of you playing as one specific person super seriously, and only ever let you play from your character's perspective. like in the show where you will get a handful of at bats and whatever it considers to be an opportunity for a big fielding play. you can run through most of the season in an afternoon

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

but also, Please Play MLB Power Pros 2007 and 2008, on the Nintendo Wii and Sony Playstation 2. and also please translate more power pros games, konami

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The Madden and FIFA story modes are basically "A sports movie with some interactive bits"

A shenmue but you are a hs football star instead of a kungfoo forklift driver could be cool

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think I got NBA2K16 with ps plus, is that one of the ones with a good story mode?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Wipmz8xsGE

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Real hurthling! posted:

A shenmue but you are a hs football star instead of a kungfoo forklift driver could be cool

:hmmyes:

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
If you soap box drama and sports, maybe try some anime.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
madden 2021: you play as the kicker in story mode and all you ever do is punt, field goal, and extra points

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

madden 2021: you play as the kicker in story mode and all you ever do is punt, field goal, and extra points

The punter and kicker are different people, so youd do even less

For the authentic experience every time you miss a field goal it sends you thousands of random hate messages