Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/Freeyourmindkid/status/1094804680029261829

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

jesus christ

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

hell yeah

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

This show is running till at least season 50.

I suggest we all make peace with that now.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
I have it on good authority they've got simpsons for years.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

bring back old gbs posted:

thread was running full steam by page 2 and hasnt let up since

Only when viewed in Albany.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

dudeness posted:

Have they actually done the one where Marge becomes a robot yet?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I'm still waiting on Marge becomes a robot.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvrPJkrE04I

I always liked this scene too

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Improbable Lobster posted:

I wonder how the simpsons would have looked if klasky csupo had continued to animate it after season 2

Inconsistent but probably with more soul.

The rough edges of the simpsons were sanded off by outsourcing everything to korea and just doing the storyboards here. From then on 99% of the show animation style has that 'rapid-moving plastic doll' look that so much of outsourced animation has which I'm personally a bit sick of in western tv animation. But classic-era simpsons made the best of its limitations really awesomely and is classic for a reason.

Edit:

These days though the simpsons has a 'too much soulless digital polish' look that makes every frame of the show feel extremely obnoxious to me.

For example:

This image is fingernails on a blackboard to me. It tells me:

-Everything is going to look squeaky clean and be a far cry from Matt Groening's old very-handmade underground-comix style that looked so unusual when it first took off
-The show is chasing modern trends in a desperate attempt to appear relevant rather than subversively giving a middle-finger to pop culture
-There's going to be insufferable celebrity appearances with way-too-flattering-and-nice character designs
-More effort was put into the show's backgrounds than drafting good jokes and character arcs.

It feels like no one working on the show wants to take risks or upset the applecart of the plastic merchandising product the simpsons has become, or else they'll get scapegoated by some Fox higher-ups or something.

The state of modern simpsons is why stuff like this thread exists. It's why fan-projects like Bartkira, memes like Simpsonwave, or bizarre fan comics like KC Green's 'Dark Homer' exist. The fans who grew up on the classic Simpsons are able to take subversive risks and go places that the modern show can't and won't.

My 'hope' for seasons 31 and 32 is whoever is the showrunner on the new seasons is some fresh blood who takes to heart the analysis that people like Super Eyepatch Wolf made of what the show has become - and is somehow able to rescue it for a new generation, taking a lot of risks and really changing what the simpsons is right now. But I'm not holding my breath.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 11, 2019

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Is Hibbert making a Leonard nimoy Didn't I? reference

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

All I know is season 2 onwards Simpsons have a wide range of smooth motion and stay on model pretty much all the time and going back to a time before that is unpleasant to me. But yeah I know what you mean about later Simpsons, every thumbnail and screenshot has every single character standing in that 3/4 facing with their arms straight down by their sides and no thought put into their poses and it looks dreadful. It looks like Family Guy.

Look at the difference!

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Dabir posted:

All I know is season 2 onwards Simpsons have a wide range of smooth motion and stay on model pretty much all the time and going back to a time before that is unpleasant to me. But yeah I know what you mean about later Simpsons, every thumbnail and screenshot has every single character standing in that 3/4 facing with their arms straight down by their sides and no thought put into their poses and it looks dreadful. It looks like Family Guy.

Look at the difference!

This has been posted before but it's a great comparison

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Captain Billy Pissboy posted:

yeah its genuinely ugly, you can see the keyframes in the new version. zero overlapping motion.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

And even after the actors have died, it can continue on forever thanks to modern editing techniques

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U58IdBjMeS4

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I don't think that's necessarily as good a comparison, cause for many years the show used that first opening but didn't actually look like that.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zY9z7IP-1Q

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I don’t even know why they’re so risk averse when it’s an unsinkable show.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Look at that cold robotic stare modern marge has. :allears:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

e.pilot posted:

Look at that cold robotic stare modern marge has. :allears:

Perhaps Marge is already a robot :aaa:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

This one depresses me

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

ili posted:

Does uploading your brain into a computer count as becoming a robot? If so then yes, if not then not yet.

Homer as 100% become a robot though, and Bart has been turned into a cyborg twice.

This is honestly one of my favorite Simpsons things ever.

In fact, truth be told, I kind of love all the guest animated couch gags: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx8vz8W3ACE

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah I really want to see Hibbert transport out of that room.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Dabir posted:

I don't think that's necessarily as good a comparison, cause for many years the show used that first opening but didn't actually look like that.

It's a pretty fair comparison because an animated show's intro is always expected to have better animation than the show itself. The intro is traditionally seen in every episode so extra care and attention is paid to it.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Too many of the actors are going to be dead or just unable to work by then.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

I wonder how the simpsons would have looked if klasky csupo had continued to animate it after season 2

cancelled

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Plan Z posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U58IdBjMeS4

except with what they did with the lady that voiced the computer in star trek

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Plan Z posted:

So they'll just replace them with vocaloids, duh.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
its not perfect but just get this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZjRyKOcSCg

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Chrpno posted:

cancelled

A man can dream

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete
https://twitter.com/ShitpostBot5000/status/1089078020512587777

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Homar! (Now with Vitamin R)

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Hired spoons?

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I hate how the new/celebrity designs are just too busy and clash with the old cast. Like that lady up thread has cargo pockets and a pen in her pocket and something else in her other pocket and the guy has individual stubble instead of the gray shading regular characters like Homer and Lenny have. It’s just poo poo

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

ili posted:

No but they’ve done at least one of the storylines from that song. Selma married Grandpa.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Calaveron posted:

I hate how the new/celebrity designs are just too busy and clash with the old cast. Like that lady up thread has cargo pockets and a pen in her pocket and something else in her other pocket and the guy has individual stubble instead of the gray shading regular characters like Homer and Lenny have. It’s just poo poo

I think this has al lot to do with the way animation is made now. Character designer, storyboarding and key frames are done in the US. A lot of the other stuff is done in Korea. Instead of drawing in between frames, animators use a lot of inverse kinematics etc... where you can save animation cycles and use them on other characters. I believe it’s one of the main reasons characters are always standing in the same position. It all lightens the workload. But maybe it would be better to let go of some details and focus on the actual animation.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

dudeness posted:

We have a profound need to fear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
has anyone done this one yet?

Only registered members can see post attachments!