Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Orvin posted:

Is there a downside to the Chicago area if it were to be split off into its own state?

Not that any of this would happen, but would Indiana try to force their Northwest counties (Lake, Jasper, Porter) into the new state? When I used to work in Indiana, the people who live there say the rest of Indiana hates that those counties are so tied to Chicago.

I think the downside comes long-term from there being two more Republican Senators in Washington passing regressive legislation that affects the whole country including Chicago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Do it by interestingness, one state with all the kickass mountains and recreation run by snowflake liberals that protect it all, the other state is all the wheat and corn fields run by the gently caress the planet right wing.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Many of the beautiful natural areas (like Yellowstone) is in the middle of the worst right wing parts of the country.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Don't go bringing facts into fantasy.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Funny thing is that Teton County, WY, which covers Grand Teton NP and like half of Yellowstone, was the only blue county in WY for 2016. Glacier County, MT, also went blue, and that has Glacier NP in it. Plus, California, Oregon, and Washington are home to like another 10 or so national parks. It's not all chuds out there.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://capitolfax.com/2019/02/11/attorney-general-states-attorney-file-writ-of-mandamus-on-van-dyke-prison-sentence/

quote:

Attorney General Kwame Raoul and Kane County State’s Attorney Joe McMahon today filed a petition for a writ of mandamus in the Illinois Supreme Court challenging the legality of former Chicago police officer Jason Van Dyke’s prison sentence.
The mandamus petition challenges the prison sentence issued Jan. 18 by Cook County Circuit Court Judge Vincent Gaughan following Van Dyke’s conviction for the shooting death of Laquan McDonald. Gaughan sentenced Van Dyke to 81 months in prison based on his conviction for second degree murder and not the more serious charges of 16 counts of aggravated battery with a firearm.

Yoooooooooooo

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

For a second, I was terrified that they wanted the sentence lowered.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

For those of us who are Chicago residents, early voting starts today and ends on 2/25.

See here for a list of all early voting sites, these look the same as the 2018 election.
https://chicagoelections.com/en/grace-period-registration-and-voting.html

Account McAccount
Mar 30, 2012

I just saw an ad for Jerry Joyce talking about "high risk residents" and they completely focus and zoom the camera on a very happy black girl. Um... that's kind of racist. Yes I understand the issues going on. But nope I'm not voting for this guy.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Sailor Jerry posted:

lol one of the co-sponsors is my state rep. There's always one bill of this nature floating around each session.

I live in Crawford County, one of the southern IL green counties. I always wonder how Jasper County contributes more to the state than normal.

Woohoo on the Crawford County living! My mother’s family is from Oblong so I spent a lot of time in Oblong and Robinson (I miss Dog N Suds).

It is less that Jasper County contributes more and more that Jasper County takes less. Crawford has the prison (it still has that right) and the community college. Jasper County has none of that to use taxpayer contributions.

That is honestly were most of it comes from. All of these counties contribute generally the same but some of these counties use a lot more (prisons, colleges, and other state funded agencies use more than what they send in).

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Other than alderman/mayor votes is there anything else I should school myself on? Judges etc?

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*
Treasurer and City Clerk though last I checked all but one of the clerk candidates were bumped off the ballot

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Clouseau posted:

Other than alderman/mayor votes is there anything else I should school myself on? Judges etc?

I use this site to get my sample ballot so I know what's coming up

https://chicagoelections.com/en/your-voter-information.html

It's been GREAT the past few cycles

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

Niwrad posted:

I'm going to guess some powerful group talked Madigan out of it. JB is too big of a coward to do anything on his own.

There's still two bills in the works. One likely to get to the GA by April, one likely dead on arrival.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-met-illinois-legalize-recreational-marijuana-legislation-20190207-story.html

The video gaming law was a clusterfuck and ended up a tax negative for the state so they'd be prudent to actually think everything out in advance this time.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/legalized-video-gambling-illinois-bad-bet-poker-slot-gaming-machines-propublica-wbez/

Clouseau posted:

Judges etc?

I just always use https://www.voteforjudges.org/ and vote out anyone that most of the Bar associations don't like.

schmitty9800 fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 11, 2019

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Ballot Ready is really useful, too.

https://www.ballotready.org

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I don't give a poo poo about tax stuff. It should be legal just from an ethical standpoint and because 75% of the residents here want it. Why does legalizing something that should be legal require figuring out how much loving money it can make the state first? Meanwhile people continue to get arrested for it, spend time in jail, and have their lives ruined.

The video gaming law was a clusterfuck because the gaming companies had their hands up a bunch of politicians asses. They refused to tax them enough and it hosed other things up. It's only a problem because a bunch of cowards won't raise the tax on their campaign donors.

I don't even smoke weed but I'm tired of living in a supposed blue state that continues to stall while every other blue state laps us in this area. gently caress, even Michigan which was completely controlled by Republicans legalized it.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Ah, pretty simple ballot. The only race I know pretty much nothing about is clerk. Everything else I'm fairly well decided on.

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth
https://www.injusticewatch.org for judges y'all

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Niwrad posted:

I don't give a poo poo about tax stuff. It should be legal just from an ethical standpoint and because 75% of the residents here want it. Why does legalizing something that should be legal require figuring out how much loving money it can make the state first? Meanwhile people continue to get arrested for it, spend time in jail, and have their lives ruined.

A prison guard I know told me that the majority of people in jail that say they are in there for pot are actually in there for child molestation. He said that he looked at their records and knows the truth but they just tell everyone it is drugs. Because of this, he does not think anyone in jail for pot should be released if it becomes legal.

When I mentioned that we know publicly what people are in jail for so it does not matter what they say in jail, he could not understand what I meant.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The prison guard union is one of the strongest advocates for keeping marijuana illegal. More people in jail mean more job security. Wouldn't be surprised if they're feeding members bullshit like that.

I would give them all a pass if we were the first state doing this. But there are a dozen or so that have successfully done this. Just copy the plan the states that are seeing the most success from are using. This isn't the rocket science they make it out to be.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

The Tribune editorial staff continues their spectacular run of just completely moronic pieces with an endorsement of *Bill Daley*

I shouldn't expect any better from the Trib, but really, lol.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I'm surprised it wasn't McCarthy.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Central/Southern IL businesses are now agitating against this possible state minimum wage increase because these areas (especially southern IL) were chosen by a lot of businesses because they could exploit the relative poverty in order to keep labor paid low and grow their profits, and watching the noodle factory guy attempt to extort the state by saying he'll just move jobs over to Missouri and make his employees drive across the river to work has been infuriating

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

The living wage, adjusted for inflation at the end of the phase in, will be roughly $15 in the poorest parts of Illinois anyway.

So every idiot whinging about "cost of living" regional adjustments can gently caress right off because this law already sets the appropriate statewide floor.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Niwrad posted:

I'm surprised it wasn't McCarthy.

They likely want to pick someone who has a shot at winning.

I generally use the Trib as a guide on who not to vote for.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Amara shoots herself in the foot again:

https://twitter.com/royalpratt/status/1095861409584463872

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

I'm feeling much more secure about changing my vote

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
An ad popped up in my facebook feed today crying about rent control being unfair and bad. This is the first I'm hearing about rent control, is this something Chicago is doing?

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”

Soonmot posted:

An ad popped up in my facebook feed today crying about rent control being unfair and bad. This is the first I'm hearing about rent control, is this something Chicago is doing?

It's been talked about on and off for a long time, but never gets as that far. Rent is pretty nuts in parts of the city.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
They've actually introduced a bill in Springfield to allow municipalities to enact rent control. This is probably an attempt by landlords to get ahead of it.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

ArgaWarga posted:

I'm feeling much more secure about changing my vote

I already mailed in my ballot, but I'm thinking I probably should have gone with Lightfoot.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

With Amazon pulling out of NYC, it’ll be pretty interesting to see what the candidates say now.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

quote:

We do not intend to re-open the HQ2 search at this time. We will proceed as planned in Northern Virginia and Nashville, and we will continue to hire and grow across our 17 corporate offices and tech hubs in the U.S. and Canada.

Probably nothing, the only reason they picked NY alongside VA was because the governor and mayor essentially gave them the keys to the city. When they realized the local politicians were going to actually fight back they decided it wasn't worth it.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Sterigenics getting shut down by Illinois EPA hooray!

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

brugroffil posted:

Sterigenics getting shut down by Illinois EPA hooray!

I'm really glad about this not only because they can stop giving people cancer but also maybe I won't get 10,000 emails about it for the next week or so.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

schmitty9800 posted:

The video gaming law was a clusterfuck and ended up a tax negative for the state so they'd be prudent to actually think everything out in advance this time.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/legalized-video-gambling-illinois-bad-bet-poker-slot-gaming-machines-propublica-wbez/

I ought to do a pass-through of places in and around McHenry County where video gaming is. they've put aside places inside of gas stations for it.

edit: wasn't the whole deal to pay for O'Hare's expansion in the first place, or was that the idea to put video gaming machines inside of O'Hare

Victory Position fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 17, 2019

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Lightfoot is good.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/?post_type=cst_article&p=1787964

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

This is pretty impressive considering Martwick is 6'1" and at least 250 lbs, while Lightfoot can't be taller than 5 feet and is tiny. She can definitely hold her own.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

It is kind of crazy how made the new assessor is going to make these crooks. They tried to pull shady poo poo in the election and I guarantee will push to make it an appointed position, or drastically reduce the power of the office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Clouseau posted:

With Amazon pulling out of NYC, it’ll be pretty interesting to see what the candidates say now.

I always assumed Amazon knew exactly where it wanted HQ2 and this whole mess was just to extract as many concessions out of the winner as possible. There's probably a really interesting story here that we won't find out for a decade.