Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Morpheus posted:

DDS was the first megaten game I played, and really the first non-traditional rpg I played. Initially, it really turned me off, given the lack of 'towns', the prevalence of dungeons, and the dourness of the whole plot. But once I embraced all that, the game (and series as a whole) really clicked with me.

It was my first too and I played it blind. I watched the intro cutscene and assumed it was going to be some sort of strategic RPG with squads. Then the cannibalism began.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Samuringa posted:

jRPG secret bosses are always there for masochism only.

Look at Omega Weapon from FFVIII for example.

and this is your reward for beating it

Yeah but Omega was one of the easiest super bosses in the entire series, thanks to the easy access to Megalixirs and Holy Wars (party invulnerability) from cards. Unless you're doing a self-imposed "no X" challenge.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Blind Sally posted:

yeah but Roland > Heat so no big loss there.

That's actually the entire problem! Roland's great, and then at the end the game just gives you heat back.

Samuringa posted:

It was my first too and I played it blind. I watched the intro cutscene and assumed it was going to be some sort of strategic RPG with squads. Then the cannibalism began.

I gotta hand it to them for making the cannibalism thing an actual mechanical plot point, though. For the first like, fifth of the game one of your party members literally does not gain AP because she refuses to eat people.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

battlefield V's censor is so astronomically stupid it deserves special mention. It's literally based on ~machine learning~ that tried to identify words frequently used in hostile communication, the results of which were evidently never checked by an actual human or supplemented with a hardcoded list.

pictured: what the galaxy-brained censor allows, and what it bans

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
I love Ace Combat 7. I also want to strangle the dude who designed the epic end part of mission 20.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

What were you saying...rear end?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

What were you saying...rear end?

"uuh" it's in the second image

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

Pingiivi posted:

I love Ace Combat 7. I also want to strangle the dude who designed the epic end part of mission 20.

I've said it before in another thread, "Jets vs Tunnels" is the "Link vs Gannon" of Ace Combat

Every generation the chosen ace pilot will rise and face his arch enemy

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Just once I'd like to do an aether raid in Fire Emblem Heroes and not face some rear end in a top hat's team of min-maxed bullshit.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

StealthArcher posted:

To be fair, a bunch of assholes start with "uuh" before epically owning you with logic. Sounds like the machine is working just fine!

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Leal posted:

To be fair, a bunch of assholes start with "uuh" before epically owning you with logic. Sounds like the machine is working just fine!

uuh

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Nuebot posted:

I gotta hand it to them for making the cannibalism thing an actual mechanical plot point, though.

I see what you did there

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Digirat posted:

battlefield V's censor is so astronomically stupid it deserves special mention. It's literally based on ~machine learning~ that tried to identify words frequently used in hostile communication, the results of which were evidently never checked by an actual human or supplemented with a hardcoded list.

pictured: what the galaxy-brained censor allows, and what it bans

how hard is it to just put in a word filter

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

spit on my clit posted:

how hard is it to just put in a word filter

I'm guess they are trying to deal with people who bypass the filters, but that is a completely futile attempt.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I'm stunned that someone knew enough about machine learning to put something together, but simultaneously also knew too little to know why that was never going to pan out.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I just started Dragon Marked for Death and the grapple hook mechanic is super finnicky. Wish it just zoned in on the nodes you're meant to grapple from instead of having to get the tip's hit box to touch it, and sometimes it just doesn't fire.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

StealthArcher posted:

excuse me it was “uhh,” we can be adults here and don’t need to baby ourselves with this “uuh” euphemism that the censor would have no problem with

I love when machine learning/neural networks gently caress up, it’s just extra :psyduck: to me that they bothered to build such an overengineered system for a chat censor of all things and then set it loose. It censors the word “nazi.” in a world war II game.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Digirat posted:

excuse me it was “uhh,” we can be adults here and don’t need to baby ourselves with this “uuh” euphemism that the censor would have no problem with

I love when machine learning/neural networks gently caress up, it’s just extra :psyduck: to me that they bothered to build such an overengineered system for a chat censor of all things and then set it loose. It censors the word “nazi.” in a world war II game.

machine learning (when released to the public) is only good for scientists trying to figure out how the internet can ruin every experiment revolving around machine learning.

Dying Light has a very annoying thing where you can not see your watch unless you're on the ledge of something or you're holding a knife, in which Crane puts up his left arm for no good reason.

spit on my clit has a new favorite as of 23:54 on Feb 10, 2019

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Digirat posted:

For a while the Warcraft forums censored the word "rape" (which is understandable) but applied the rule so broadly that items like cloaks called Drapes would get caught by the filter.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

For a while the Warcraft forums censored the word "rape" (which is understandable) but applied the rule so broadly that items like cloaks called Drapes would get caught by the filter.

Or when the pokemon "Confagrigus" couldn't be traded online

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The scunthorpe problem

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Mazerunner posted:

Or when the pokemon "Confagrigus" couldn't be traded online

In World of Final Fantasy if you try to manually name a Cockatrice "Cockatrice" it won't let you.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Doctor Spaceman posted:

just call them grapes, jeez.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

You couldn't say horse in Age of Wushu, it'd come out ***se, which remained funny for that game's entire worthwhile life.

Similarly knight in Dark Souls 3, would spit out k***ht. :allears:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

uPlay drags so many goddamn games down for me. gently caress you Ubisoft

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
In Dark Souls 2 you couldn't name a character Knight properly, because the filter in that game would turn it to K***ht. It had other similar cases of really short letter combinations being censored mid word, but that one was a very common sight.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I summoned a **ly K***ht once. I gave it 50/50 whether he knew what he was doing or not

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Attestant posted:

In Dark Souls 2 you couldn't name a character Knight properly, because the filter in that game would turn it to K***ht. It had other similar cases of really short letter combinations being censored mid word, but that one was a very common sight.

You could still use the online message system to let people know that they should “ try thrust but whole” or that there was an “amazing chest ahead”.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Possible starting classes in that game included K***ht and ******in

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I wasn't expecting Street Fighter V to be quite as horny as it is. The guys at Capcom really need to get laid.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Necrothatcher posted:

I wasn't expecting Street Fighter V to be quite as horny as it is. The guys at Capcom really need to get laid.

On a scale of 1 to Soul Calibur, how horny are we talking?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Soul Calibur characters at least look humanoid, unlike SFV blobs of flesh

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

On a scale of 1 to Soul Calibur, how horny are we talking?

e: actually when you've got Birdie fighting pretty much any of the women the game begins to feel like a Robert Crumb themed fighter

Necrothatcher has a new favorite as of 17:45 on Feb 11, 2019

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Necrothatcher posted:

thats like saying that hideki kamiya needs to get laid. we all know he gets it around the clock

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Strategy games, could you please gently caress off with races that operate like locusts and devour their territory for a big period of gains that then turns to worthless rock? Yeah, that's a fun mechanism for encouraging aggressive gameplay when playing as that race, but good Lord it makes fighting that race a pain because you don't get anything out of conquering their territory. All their territory is worthless because they've eaten everything, and that both makes fighting them exasperating and turns chunks of the map useless.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cythereal posted:

Strategy games, could you please gently caress off with races that operate like locusts and devour their territory for a big period of gains that then turns to worthless rock? Yeah, that's a fun mechanism for encouraging aggressive gameplay when playing as that race, but good Lord it makes fighting that race a pain because you don't get anything out of conquering their territory. All their territory is worthless because they've eaten everything, and that both makes fighting them exasperating and turns chunks of the map useless.

Endless Space had one of those and it was loving annoying to deal with for exactly that reason. I don’t think you could terraform the planets back into usefulness either.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

I think in Endless Space 2 there are a minor faction, the Sowers, who can terraform worlds and reseed the husks that the Cravers leave behind. It would be nuts to pull off though.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
Ace Combat 7: The A-10's "machine gun" is equally as weak as every other jet's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

JackSplater posted:

Ace Combat 7: The A-10's "machine gun" is equally as weak as every other jet's.

I had been on the fence about buying AC7, but have now called in an orbital strike to remove it from existence.