Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mr.Booger posted:

I didn't play but 1 game of AOS with my Skaven, as the lists were too restrictive for the way I like to play them (multi-clan), but isn't warpfire very different than it used to be, I am noticing all the what used to be 2d3 or whatever is now roll per model within 8" so you want to get right up in there to get the value, no more tippy-toeing around the outside of units or melting characters. Alot of the stuff seems closer range (abilities, weapons) so it looks more of a grab em by the belt type of army, which I like.

To be exact Warpfire is now more Anti Horde, instead of the character killer it used to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

MonsterEnvy posted:

To be exact Warpfire is now more Anti Horde, instead of the character killer it used to be.

that makes more sense

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Snow day in Seattle, I got 15 more guys painted today aside from the bases. I don't have my base paint handy. Once I have it again, I'll finish them all.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
When you buy a Start Collecting box, do the kits come with the bits to make the alternate models like the normal boxes do? Like, could I buy the Pestilens SC but build it into a second warpfire cannon for my Carrion Empire box and a screaming bell instead of the plagueclaw and furnace?

A Spooky Skeleton
Aug 28, 2012

i'm a princess of trash

Dragonshirt posted:

When you buy a Start Collecting box, do the kits come with the bits to make the alternate models like the normal boxes do? Like, could I buy the Pestilens SC but build it into a second warpfire cannon for my Carrion Empire box and a screaming bell instead of the plagueclaw and furnace?

Yes! These kits do come with the alternate constructions.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

A Spooky Skeleton posted:

Yes! These kits do come with the alternate constructions.

So I can basically get a free unit of plague monks for getting two war machines for a mixed Skaventide army. That's loving bananas.

Is it normal to take the alternate guys like the plague priest on the front of the furnace and base him individually to use if you build the screaming bell instead?

A Spooky Skeleton
Aug 28, 2012

i'm a princess of trash

Dragonshirt posted:

So I can basically get a free unit of plague monks for getting two war machines for a mixed Skaventide army. That's loving bananas.

Is it normal to take the alternate guys like the plague priest on the front of the furnace and base him individually to use if you build the screaming bell instead?

Sure is! I actually converted the Grey Seer into a Plague Priest with some creative basing work. The Plague Priest is standing flat and using the weapons one is supposed to be so it'll be a snap!

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Dragonshirt posted:

It's pretty common. You can squeeze a Sunblood and a Skink Priest out of the scar veteran on carnosaur that comes with the Seraphon Start Collecting, as the carnosaur sprue is also a troglodon sprue.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
The seraphon start collecting can get crazy value

http://www.lustria-online.com/threads/getting-the-most-from-your-start-collecting-seraphon-box.20560/

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
DoK are actually lousy for that. The Cauldron of Blood Kit is the only way to get three of the army’s HQ units natively. It’s why the kit and any box set that includes it are perpetually sold out.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Feb 12, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The Plague Furnace Priest on foot was actually the example model of the plague priest since the start of Age of Sigmar.

The Pestilens set also comes with tons of giant rats apparently. So you can start a Giant Rat Moulder force from the SC as well.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

For those interested, the latest StormCast has Wade and Phil Kelly talk (amongst other things) about the move from Fantasy to Sigmar and why they did what they did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS8xwZsrmoE

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

This is a bit of an oddball request for suggestions.

I'm trying to convert up something to use for The Masque, but that matches the look of 90s lobster lady Daemonettes.

Is there a 90s model that's basically a woman in a fancy ballgown? Something like the mounted Brettonian damsels but on foot. (Pedestrian damsels have a totally different aesthetic for no clear reason.)

I'm thinking maybe Dechala the Denied One with Fiend claws, but that was a hard model to find and I don't really want to chop it up.

Maybe an old marauder Witch Elf as the base figure?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It’s not 90s but have you looked at Yvraine from the 40k ynnari triumvirate?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

She's really good, and very close to what I need - but kind of big and plastic.

But I hadn't even considered a 40k option, and the old Dark Eldar line is a perfect match for the vibe I'm looking for. Thanks!

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
I preordered Carrion Empire direct from GW. Should I expect that to arrive on Saturday like Amazon does preorder shipping, or ship on Saturday and arrive next week like everything else?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
They’ll ship it out on Saturday.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

When I played Tzeentch, I was able to get 840pts out of the Tzeentch Daemon Start Collecting, because with some extremely minor kitbashing only using the stuff that comes in that box, you can make either another Herald of Tzeentch on Disc or The Blue Scribes.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

moths posted:

I'm trying to convert up something to use for The Masque, but that matches the look of 90s lobster lady Daemonettes.

Is there a 90s model that's basically a woman in a fancy ballgown? Something like the mounted Brettonian damsels but on foot. (Pedestrian damsels have a totally different aesthetic for no clear reason.)

I'm thinking maybe Dechala the Denied One with Fiend claws, but that was a hard model to find and I don't really want to chop it up.

The new Isabella von Carnstein is wearing a metal ballgown.

There is the Mordheim Vampire lady which is OOP and super expensive.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I just came across the old Isabel von C, but that's also a good direction.

Right now it's looking like the body is a toss-up between the Hydra Knives Wytch or the classic Lelith Hesperax - either with a metal hormagaunt claw and a lobster one from a Fiend.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

moths posted:

Not hams but how about this

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That's a really good figure, has the mask, and would be otherwise perfect - but this is the look I'm trying to match:

The 90s stuff had this crazy over-the-top aesthetic, which, yes many have called bad.

But mostly that's because Eavy Metal team was hooked on primary colors and nobody in the hobbby knew about inks or washes.

I think I've got a figure and bits picked out, and I'll post it ASAP! Thanks again for the help and suggestions.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I listened to that stormcast episode and heard a lotta good things, is warcry going to be the new mordheim?

Also, there's no chance were going to be able to use our old minis in any new iteration right?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The impression I'm getting is that Warcry is going to be the AoS equivalent to 40k's Kill Team. At least going by some of the rumors that's been making the rounds.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

AoS Kill Team was my understanding as well.

What do Sylvaneth do on the board? I've got my first game against them this Saturday. Based on the description in the OP, they sound like Circle of Ouroboros from Warmahordes: conjure forests from out of nowhere, teleport around and general trickery.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sab669 posted:

AoS Kill Team was my understanding as well.

What do Sylvaneth do on the board? I've got my first game against them this Saturday. Based on the description in the OP, they sound like Circle of Ouroboros from Warmahordes: conjure forests from out of nowhere, teleport around and general trickery.

They have a lot of board control and send out lots of rend -1 and mortal wounds. But they have little defence against mortal wounds and depending on faction you can take advantage of knowing were they are going to pop out of to kill them.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I feel like every army "has a lot of mortal wounds". I've seen that said about DoK, Maggotkin, my buddy who just picked up Nighthaunts said that about his stuff. SCE have their Evocators with "roll 2d6 per model, 4+ deal a Mortal Wound" nonsense.

I'm running a slightly more ranged heavy list, so I think I'll be OK against them? Play whackamole with my Ballista / Castigators :getin:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sab669 posted:

I feel like every army "has a lot of mortal wounds". I've seen that said about DoK, Maggotkin, my buddy who just picked up Nighthaunts said that about his stuff. SCE have their Evocators with "roll 2d6 per model, 4+ deal a Mortal Wound" nonsense.

I'm running a slightly more ranged heavy list, so I think I'll be OK against them? Play whackamole with my Ballista / Castigators :getin:

That is apparently one of the better lists against Sylv. Ranged Stormcast, Certain Fyreslayer builds and Beasts of Chaos are stated as being the armies they have the most difficulty with.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hahaha he ran like 15 wounds worth of 40mm trees (Durthu?) + Treelord Ancient into my 5-man Squad of Sequitors turn 1. I think the mission was "Border Pass"? My Lord Arcanum peaced the gently caress out and went like 24" on his 6D6 Aetheric Wind and picked up my opponent's Objective netting me 4 points. My Ballista + Castigators killed his Spite-Revenants (I think?), clearing them off an objective. Unfortunately next turn my Castigators couldn't quite get in range - I didn't expect them to make such quick work of the Revenants. Then his ball of Melee Death were able to make a 9" charge onto my Objective, cleared out the Ballista & Lord Ordinator.

I was not prepared for that huge wall of dudes, but even if I knew what he was bringing I wouldn't have been able to deal with that, I don't think. Moral victory: My stuff was painted, his was not (and someone asked if I took comissions - wanted his SCE painted just like mine lol)

After that I played a second 750 point game against DoK which I did win! Again I forget the Objective, it had 6 points and you can destroy them for a variable amount of points based on how long you held the objective.

My Ballista did fuckin work again, got 6 for its d6 hits twice against some squishy Daughters. He got shafted on his charge, only needed a 7 and he got like a 3. I forgot that unlike Kill Team, you don't get to move if you fail... But either way I was able to close the gap on my turn, crushed them with the Sequitors while the Ballista shot at his other unit that charged my Castigators.

So far I'm enjoying Age of Sigmar way more than I enjoyed the Kill Team league I last participated in. I like the fantasy aesthetic more. I enjoy painting these guys way more than my Death Guard. Looking forward to expanding my army each week - so far I think I've spread myself too thin, but next week we jump to 1,000 points so I'm getting a second unit of Sequitors, doubling my Castigators, and then I'll have a Hailstorm Battery which I'm very excited about. One of the most enjoyable days I've had with this hobby in a while actually :)

e; Oh also no 'Tactical Reroll' is great. I miss it, but also I hated it.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 17, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Always good to see someone enjoying the Hobby. My next ideal goal if I were in your shoes would be to fill out a battalion.

Do you have any of the Endless Spells yet?

Edit: Oh your Stormcast look great too.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 17, 2019

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Thanks! :) and the Endless Spell models are kind of boring, IMO. But after looking over the Warscrolls to see what they actually do... The comet sounds fuckin' sweet. Don't love the other 2.

The Hailstorm Battery is a Battalion; it makes it so that my Ballista gets to re-roll Failed Hit Rolls against Targets that have suffered at least 1 wound by my Castigators that turn. It hits on a 5+ (And my Lord Ordinator gives +1) so effectively 4+, rerolling misses is pretty scary.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sab669 posted:

Thanks! :) and the Endless Spell models are kind of boring, IMO. But after looking over the Warscrolls to see what they actually do... The comet sounds fuckin' sweet. Don't love the other 2.

The Hailstorm Battery is a Battalion; it makes it so that my Ballista gets to re-roll Failed Hit Rolls against Targets that have suffered at least 1 wound by my Castigators that turn. It hits on a 5+ (And my Lord Ordinator gives +1) so effectively 4+, rerolling misses is pretty scary.

It also gets extra hits on 6's right. Anyway just not super familiar with Stormcast Terminology is all.

With Endless Spells I was also thinking of the generic ones that anyone can use.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Took my Gloomspite Gitz for their first couple battles today for Path to Glory (and my first AoS games in...a year?) and I was pleased with their performance despite a little hiccup.

Game one was The Vendetta and my opponent first selected his unit of 6 Kroxigor as his "rival" unit, before changing his mind at some point which was not clear to me to his Skink Shaman, which was all well and good but for me focusing down his Kroxigor the whole game and assuming I'd won when I killed them, only to get the news. My general (Loonboss on Mangler Squig who was my rival unit) was down to 2 wounds and probably a turn away from going down so I conceded. I was tempted to make a thing of it at first but really wanted to keep the game friendly so I accepted that I just missed him telling me he changed his mind (though I don't think I did!)...I rolled a new follower which was the result I wanted anyway so nothing was lost accept my pride lol, whatever.

Game two was the same opponent, this time in a simple kill points with objectives game, impossible to get anything confused. I give him turn one and he teleports his Troglodon right at my Manglers with no support and is unceremoniously eaten. He lines the rest of his army up on the objectives which makes for easy charges for me. This fight goes pretty quickly in my favor without any drama, getting me more Boingrots for followers.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Man those Mangler squigs look good.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Just finished my Casket of Souls:

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
So I am planning on starting a AoS army next week, and I was wondering what rulebooks would be needed to play seraphon is it core book, GHB2018 and the battletome?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

R0ckfish posted:

So I am planning on starting a AoS army next week, and I was wondering what rulebooks would be needed to play seraphon is it core book, GHB2018 and the battletome?

The battletome is optional honestly since Seraphon is an older army so all the point values can be found in the GHB and all the datasheets are online for free on GWs site.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

R0ckfish posted:

Battletome is for lore and battalions only, so GHB will cover you if you don't want the specific battalions in the book. Rumours abound that Seraphon will get an updated tome and scenery/spells, a la Skaven/FEC/Khorne, come the spring, so it might be worth holding off to get the proper tome later. The battalions are hella good though, so I guess it depends on how serious you want to take the army at this point.

Plavski fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 17, 2019

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

New Start Collecting's out next week, Idoneth and Maggotkin that was spoiled earlier in the year.

Idoneth: 3x eels (40 euro), 10x thralls (40 euro), 1x soulrender (20 euro) - total 100 euro

Maggotkin: 2x pusgoyle blightlords (55euro), 5x putrid blightkings (44euro), 1x lord of blights (20 euro) - total 119 euro

Maggotkin box looks like insane value

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/02/17/pre-order-next-week-start-collecting-sets-boards-and-a-very-special-commissar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I want to get some FEC so I'm selling off a Sacrosanct SCE army if anyone is interested. Just PM me.