Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Dead Reckoning posted:

I think you meant to say:

... Yossarian was moved very deeply by the absolute simplicity of this clause and let out a respectful whistle.

I know I'm not supposed to engage with Dead Reckoning, but I appreciate this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

"That's some catch, that Catch-22," he observed.

"It's the best there is," Doc Daneeka agreed.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like how the counter-argument to, "We should give these empty houses to the homeless Or build new places for the homeless to live."

is "How are you going to afford SFBay's pricing."

Why can't we literally put the homeless anywhere? Why wouldn't we just buy already existing homes / condos / whatevers and just give that to the homeless people?

What about the crazy ones loving up society. So you'd prefer a crazy person out on the streets than at home with a social worker, or some sort of mental health professional watching over them?

These arguments against housing the homeless are specious at best.

Like by definition, as a homeless person, my home will be wherever you let me stay that night. It's like an hour ride into the city from the hella far places to pan handle or visit family or whatever dumb argument you have, if you take BART.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Turtlicious posted:

What about the crazy ones loving up society. So you'd prefer a crazy person out on the streets than at home with a social worker, or some sort of mental health professional watching over them?

I didn't know we had a pile of extra social workers and mental health pros lying around.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

Why can't we literally put the homeless anywhere? Why wouldn't we just buy already existing homes / condos / whatevers and just give that to the homeless people?
Taxpayers will understandably balk at having their money taken so that homes that most of them cannot afford can be bought and given for free to homeless people.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Chichevache posted:

I didn't know we had a pile of extra social workers and mental health pros lying around.

wow surely this is an impossible problem to fix

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Rah! posted:

wow surely this is an impossible problem to fix

Well if we are just shouting out pipe dreams, I propose that we cure all mental illness and have all labor performed by robots so we can all follow our bliss without being constrained by capitalism. Now I have proposed the most awesome future in this thread. Checkmate.

Edit

I mean, you do know how demanding and poorly paid those fields are, right? And then on top of that, how lovely and unrewarding it is to help the mentally ill and homeless. I'm married to a social worker who works with homeless and drug addicted youth. I'm proud of what she does, but it pretty much takes a saint to stay in that field unless they have no other choice. Saying "let's get more social workers" is hardly a practical solution.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 12, 2019

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Chichevache posted:

Well if we are just shouting out pipe dreams, I propose that we cure all mental illness and have all labor performed by robots so we can all follow our bliss without being constrained by capitalism. Now I have proposed the most awesome future in this thread. Checkmate.

I second this guy's fully automated luxury communism.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

So... take houses from the rentier class and give them to homeless people... and non-homeless people? But how will we survive without their real estate speculation?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Chichevache posted:

We did, but coincidentally, they all got priced out and moved elsewhere. :(

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I second this guy's fully automated luxury communism.

I hosed up, bro. I said "cure" mental illness, which means I further stigmatized it by implying there is something wrong with loudly conversing with people who aren't there.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
can you and DR just gently caress off to texas

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Dead Reckoning posted:

The reality is, that isn't going to happen. Because, among other reasons, if you started giving free single family homes to drug addicts in SF and LA, a lot more people would suddenly start trying meth.

Would you? If all it took to be given housing in San Francisco was to get addicted to a drug like meth (or heroin, or crack) or get a severe permanent disability like getting a limb removed, would you do it? Why or why not? If you wouldn't, who are you imagining will do so?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chichevache posted:

I hosed up, bro. I said "cure" mental illness, which means I further stigmatized it by implying there is something wrong with loudly conversing with people who aren't there.

Can you hear the guillotines sharpening as you post, or is it more of a sense of dread.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Trabisnikof posted:

Sorry, if you’re with it enough to want free housing you’re sane, but if you’re not willing to pretend you’re insane to get free housing you’re crazy enough to deserve it.

Catch Prop 13

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Chichevache posted:

Edit

I mean, you do know how demanding and poorly paid those fields are, right? And then on top of that, how lovely and unrewarding it is to help the mentally ill and homeless. I'm married to a social worker who works with homeless and drug addicted youth. I'm proud of what she does, but it pretty much takes a saint to stay in that field unless they have no other choice. Saying "let's get more social workers" is hardly a practical solution.

Maybe we should pay the people doing the work that needs to be done more money

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

drat...being a mental health worker is underpaid and overworked. i guess thats it then. if only there was some entity who could pay mental health workers more and also hire a shitload more so that there is more than one provider for every zillion people that need their servicee

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Did you guys watch the video?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Shear Modulus posted:

drat...being a mental health worker is underpaid and overworked. i guess thats it then. if only there was some entity who could pay mental health workers more and also hire a shitload more so that there is more than one provider for every zillion people that need their servicee

Alas... It seems a better world is not possible...trumo

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are we even going to mention that the 10 grand per person included HIRING NEW SOCIAL WORKERS?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Does San Francisco have unused facilities that could become housing for the homeless?

After the 1906 earthquake, tents and shacks sprung up in vast encampments around the city, including at Golden Gate Park where 40,000 found refuge. Soldiers lived in barracks built directly in front of City Hall in Civic Center Plaza during World War II. And 300 people slept aboard the USS Peleliu, a now-decommissioned aircraft carrier docked near the Bay Bridge following the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake.

The retired Navy ship and its 5,000 bunks could “temporarily house most, if not all, of San Francisco’s homeless living in tents on the streets while permanent housing is built,” suggested former Mayor Art Agnos in a September 2016 opinion piece for the San Francisco Chronicle.

https://sf.curbed.com/2018/9/10/17824724/housing-homeless-san-francisco-barracks-ships-temporary-shelter

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

What if instead we just build a memorial statue to emperor norton, that should satisfy all parties equally

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Shear Modulus posted:

Oh poo poo. Well let's just do that then.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

If we give money and housing to social workers, every other city in the area will just start bussing all of theirs over to dump them on us.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

VideoGameVet posted:

Does San Francisco have unused facilities that could become housing for the homeless?

After the 1906 earthquake, tents and shacks sprung up in vast encampments around the city, including at Golden Gate Park where 40,000 found refuge. Soldiers lived in barracks built directly in front of City Hall in Civic Center Plaza during World War II. And 300 people slept aboard the USS Peleliu, a now-decommissioned aircraft carrier docked near the Bay Bridge following the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake.

The retired Navy ship and its 5,000 bunks could “temporarily house most, if not all, of San Francisco’s homeless living in tents on the streets while permanent housing is built,” suggested former Mayor Art Agnos in a September 2016 opinion piece for the San Francisco Chronicle.

https://sf.curbed.com/2018/9/10/17824724/housing-homeless-san-francisco-barracks-ships-temporary-shelter

Half the storefronts and new development in the city is empty.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Admiral Ray posted:

Would you? If all it took to be given housing in San Francisco was to get addicted to a drug like meth (or heroin, or crack) or get a severe permanent disability like getting a limb removed, would you do it? Why or why not? If you wouldn't, who are you imagining will do so?

At these prices you couldn't afford NOT to smoke meth

Edit: like are you legit asking "would people engage in addictive behavior if it got them a free house??"

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Morbus posted:

At these prices you couldn't afford NOT to smoke meth

Edit: like are you legit asking "would people engage in addictive behavior if it got them a free house??"

No, I'm asking if DR or people DR knows would. Not just people they made up in their head.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Admiral Ray posted:

No, I'm asking if DR or people DR knows would. Not just people they made up in their head.

I will smoke as much crack as you give me for a free house in the bay area lol

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this thread makes me so angry it spreads into other subforums.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Please don't let them frame the argument as "Why WOULDN'T I smoke crack to get a free house" like that's something any sane loving person suggested.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Turtlicious posted:

Please don't let them frame the argument as "Why WOULDN'T I smoke crack to get a free house" like that's something any sane loving person suggested.

Yeah my bad. I mistakenly thought they'd take it even vaguely seriously, but that's extending too much to them.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Lotta people in here think crack is worth smoking for a free house need to work with more addicts

It's not

It is not worth anything

Dear god do not smoke meth

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Admiral Ray posted:

You mean if, in some fantastic universe, the government was giving away single family homes in nice San Francisco neighborhoods to addicts? I like to think of myself as someone who lives by a pretty strict code of ethics, but if I could get clear title to a million dollar property in exchange for partying my rear end off on cocaine then committing to getting sober, I might start feeling ayo for yayo.

Turtlicious posted:

Are we even going to mention that the 10 grand per person included HIRING NEW SOCIAL WORKERS?
Again, at Central Florida salaries and cost of living.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Dead Reckoning posted:

You mean if, in some fantastic universe, the government was giving away single family homes in nice San Francisco neighborhoods to addicts? I like to think of myself as someone who lives by a pretty strict code of ethics, but if I could get clear title to a million dollar property in exchange for partying my rear end off on cocaine then committing to getting sober, I might start feeling ayo for yayo.

Nobody said anything about a title to a million dollar property, and you said meth, which I extended to heroin or crack. You conflating partying with cocaine to addiction to meth or crack makes it clear that your criticisms of public housing aren't really based in reality, though, so thanks for that.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Dead Reckoning posted:

drat... too bad that california and san francisco in particular is not any more richer than loving orlando

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I mean, crack is cocaine, but I'd probably be down to party my rear end off on amphetamine for a free house too.

e: Look, my substantive criticism is this: you cannot give away free houses in one of the hottest real estate markets in the country without creating perverse incentives.

Kobayashi posted:

Half the storefronts and new development in the city is empty.
Unfortunately, the takings clause was incorporated in 1897, so the state would have to pay fair market value for it, which leads to the aforementioned budget issues and/or taxpayer revolt.

VideoGameVet posted:

300 people slept aboard the USS Peleliu, a now-decommissioned aircraft carrier docked near the Bay Bridge following the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake.
I hope those homeless people like asbestos.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 12, 2019

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?

Shear Modulus posted:

Fun anecdote - my relative was actually going down this career path in the mid-70's, then Prop 13 passed and it all disappeared practically overnight. Just closed a bunch of places down, turned a bunch of people out, gone.

Just throw it on the big pile of "gently caress Prop 13" reasons.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
There are many examples of cities across the world that are able to manage homelessness in ways that aren't ignoring vast, growing tent cities full of desperately poor people. They don't just hand people keys to a new apartment and call it a day. A robust system needs to be in place but those cost tax dollars to establish and maintain.

e: that's not to say I'm against providing free, immediate housing to those in need. But it won't happen because they don't "deserve" it. This city is conservative as any other wealthy enclave and just gets to pretend it's not because once in a while someone commissions a mural about multiculturalism.

life is a joke fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 12, 2019

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

Likewise, the cost of NOT housing the homeless in San Francisco is probably a multiple of the Central Florida expenses for the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Pomp posted:

Lotta people in here think crack is worth smoking for a free house need to work with more addicts

It's not

It is not worth anything

Dear god do not smoke meth

Seriously. wtf do people think they're gonna do, just stop being a drug addict?

Once you get into that rabbit hole it destroys you. Like yeah, some stupid techbros are gonna go, "I'll just do some meth/crack/heroin to get my free housing" and you'll have a few idiotic stories of people deliberately becoming addicts to try and game the system (in the alternate universe where the system is kind, caring, and provides for all people) who then lose everything else in their life to their addiction and...

Well hey, maybe then the media/society would have a huge, "Ohhhhhhhhh" lightbulb moment on drug addiction.

Good call DR. Let's go get some techbros addicted to meth and see what happens.