Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

ansel autisms posted:

There's plenty of other forums where boring camera dads can get together and discuss art like it's a lawnmower engine. Hth

I mean I guess but if someone else in the dorkroom enjoys the more mechanical aspects of photography, what do you care? It's not like they're forcing you to spend time building a camera or anything, or forcing you to shoot with their homemade camera, or anything like that. I understand that a lot of people put TOO much focus on the gear, rather than improving their own skill at expressing themselves artistically, but it doesn't seem like ImplicitAssembler is doing that.

Some people like the emotional attachment from building something themselves and then taking it out and using it, as opposed to just buying it. It's also cool and good that you don't care for that and instead prefer to just focus on the artistic aspect / the act of shooting itself! And it's cool and good for people that like to build their stuff before using it! Photography is cool and good!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Mods please move this thread to DIY

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
I like reading about people’s film camera projects. I also like taking pictures. I like this thread.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Gear chat would be fine if most dorkroom posters these days took pics that were worth a drat. Instead you're building furniture for a home that is on fire.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ansel autisms posted:

I actually like to shoot pictures, I find no joy in loving around at home. Why would I want to build a camera when I can buy a functioning monorail with 5 holders for $300 and get shooting as soon as it arrives?

I've owned (and still own) lots of large format cameras including 3d printed ones and let me tell you there's drat good reason they're not popular with people who are in it to actually take pictures

Sorry, $90+ shipping? I hate ebay.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

nm posted:

Who gives a poo poo about the shipping costs? It's $300 total. Including shipping. That many holders alone is worth $100 and a functioning cambo monorail is definitely worth $200.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

nm posted:

lol, LF cameras are big, heavy, and need to be well packed.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I too find it shameful that people talk about film gear in the film gear thread and post photos in the photo relevant threads.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
This is the film thread, not the film gear thread hth

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I thought this was the expired film with alternate processing and unpredictable results thread

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Megabound posted:

I too find it shameful that people talk about film gear in the film gear thread and post photos in the photo relevant threads.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Awkward Davies posted:

This is the film thread, not the film gear thread hth

To be fair, there's a lot of overlap in the dorkroom. If I take a landscape shot of a city with my Yashica Mat, do I post it here? In the MF/LF thread? in the landscape thread? In the street photography thread? The answer is any of them, who cares, all photos are garbage.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Hmmm lol wonder why they’re all trash :thunk:

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

nm posted:

It's only $70 to Canada. I might actually get this one. I thought I'd trawled through all of them, but obviously missed this one (Film holders, as he says, easily covers the shipping).
I'd still have to DIY a Copal 0 lensboard, though :D.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

DIY lens board is actually reasonable

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Fine, I'll upload some photos of you'll shut the gently caress up.

All my photos are film, I just put them in the landscape thread usually instead of doubling or tripling up in the film, medium format and landscape thread.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I to enjoy taking photographs.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
That’s neat. The lines of the mural almost make the ladder look like it’s in motion.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

ansel autisms posted:

Don't push C-41. If you want fast speeds shoot digital

What did you think of Dorkasaurus_Rex's stuff, if you remember that guy?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

SMERSH Mouth posted:

What did you think of Dorkasaurus_Rex's stuff, if you remember that guy?

His stuff is fine but I don't really find the grainy blacks/blocky look appealing at all, it's feeling pretty dated

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Yes, post more film photos.

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable

President Beep posted:

I like reading about people’s film camera projects. I also like taking pictures. I like this thread.

I like this shot a lot!

More photos:

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Some more stuff

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I normally skip past most p&s cameras when I go to thrift stores but for some reason this one caught my eye (for only $2.50)

No it doesn't have a prime lens but it's super compact and it's from Fuji's last line of p&s film cameras (mid-late 2000s) and one of the only p&s lines to have a Super-EBC lens. It also has multi point AF and even a diopter.

It's hard to believe this thing retailed for $350 USD at launch. It should take decent photos even though the lens is slow as hell (fine for outdoors). The zoom range is also fairly impressive.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

You jerk :arghfist::razzy:

Paid a little extra for one with shutter curtains still inside the camera.

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

Every now and then you come across a scene that just begs to be shot on film

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Just home-developed some kodak vision3 250D cine-film in C41 and DSLR-scanned. All up I think it went pretty well, I wasn't agressive enough getting the remjet off, it looked like it had all come off but there was still plenty there when scanned. Also I think there's definitely a noticable reduction in shadow detail from what is basically a cross-process but I was also shooting in pretty difficult lighting conditions (either sunset or hard sunight and shadow).

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

More HP5+.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

Can you point me to a good lab in Manhattan?

Also time wasting is kinda the point!

From two pages back - LTI Lightside on 30th Street. Sometimes I see other Dorkroomer's stuff in here waiting to be picked up.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Learned a few things today:

1) I think I'm getting better at removing color casts from my color negative scans.
2) Today was way too bright for Portra 800 (weather was supposed to be cloudier!).
3) poo poo continues to look better in my mind's eye than it does on film.

If anything, I had fun, and it was more practice. Looking forward to trying some lower speed Portra in the future. Local camera store had 800 in stock, so I bought a roll on impulse.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

The instant film thread got archived, so I guess I'll ask this here.

I'm getting back into shooting more Instax film, and I've been posting to social media using the Photoscan app on Android, but the quality is honestly still pretty crap. I have an Epson V600 up in the attic from when I was still actively shooting film, and I've used it to scan Instax before, but I'd like to make sure I'm going about it the optimal way.

Anyone have suggestions for a scanning workflow for Instax in particular, or would it basically be the same as for any positive film? Could use some help on avoiding Newton rings since I remember that being a problem before.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Tony Two Bapes posted:

From two pages back - LTI Lightside on 30th Street. Sometimes I see other Dorkroomer's stuff in here waiting to be picked up.

Ugh that's a SLIGHT DETOUR off my morning commute! Seriously though, thanks!

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

404notfound posted:

The instant film thread got archived, so I guess I'll ask this here.

I'm getting back into shooting more Instax film, and I've been posting to social media using the Photoscan app on Android, but the quality is honestly still pretty crap. I have an Epson V600 up in the attic from when I was still actively shooting film, and I've used it to scan Instax before, but I'd like to make sure I'm going about it the optimal way.

Anyone have suggestions for a scanning workflow for Instax in particular, or would it basically be the same as for any positive film? Could use some help on avoiding Newton rings since I remember that being a problem before.

Scan it as you would a colour photo (document) and colour correct in PS to get it as close as you can to the physical print

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So, gunna buy some chemicals for both B&W and C-41. Obviously the developers are different, but can I double up on fixers or other chemicals? Or is it best to have two completely different sets of chemicals to avoid cross contamination?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

With C41 you use blix, which is fixer mixed with bleach. Don’t think that’ll work with black & white.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
If you plan to use a separate bleach then fix process you can use the same fixer but most C-41 kits use a combined bleach and fix and you do not want that anywhere near your black and white film. C-41 also has a stabilizer which contains a surficant (like Photoflo) and a biocide to keep critters from eating your now silver free gelatin. B&W doesn't need the biocide since silver is rather antimicrobial.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Sauer posted:

If you plan to use a separate bleach then fix process you can use the same fixer

Oh, cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Yeah but you're pretty much gonna have to buy "small photolab" amounts of chemistry with a Kodak Flexicolor or Fuji Hunt kit to get separate bleach and fix. Very economical way to go if you plan to develop a hundred rolls of film in the next year though... unless you're Canadian. ORM-D is just the worst for any hobbyist.