Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

HEY GUNS posted:

proportionally the 30yw was the worst war Europe has ever experienced and i think the 19th century Chinese religious civil war is still worse
IIRC, the Taiping Rebellion was the second deadliest war in human history (worse than WWI, second only to WWII).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cessna posted:

Yeah, that's the thing. They got a lot of propaganda play out of the "Happy Time" early in the war when they were able to attack Allied shipping within sight of the shore and - and this is the important part - get away with it. Sinking Allied ships with impunity is a propaganda coup. Same with things like sinking the Royal Oak - the fact that they hit the battleship and got away with it was crucial.
so...subs are the navy's cavalry?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

HEY GUNS posted:

proportionally the 30yw was the worst war Europe has ever experienced and i think the 19th century Chinese religious civil war is still worse

Pure numbers probably not, just by virtue of China being so big 20 million people was only 5% of the population. The areas where the fighting was concentrated certainly saw horrors to match anything in the 30yw though.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

FMguru posted:

IIRC, the Taiping Rebellion was the second deadliest war in human history (worse than WWI, second only to WWII).
i'm talking about proportion, not raw numbers. take these figures with a grain of salt because the only big set of 30yw mortality stats was compiled by a nazi (i know a guy who's trying to get a modern project off the ground to replace it) but in some areas one-third of the population died

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Milo and POTUS posted:

And that's a major language, not something remotely obscure. I bet you could do an effortpost on translators in warfare. Hell you could probably do one on post war translators alone and I'd bet it's the cold war that really got the military and intelligence communities to kick language studies into high gear.

This was a HUGE thing in the Cold War. A lot of the language grants you see today for mastering foreign languages were basically started so the US would always have a critical mass of people who spoke critics languages and at least a smattering of everything else. The Fulbright, FLAS, CLS, and CLEA all have deep Cold War roots. They still are active but funding has been slashed for a lot of them leading to a pretty well recognized crisis in foreign language proficiency, especially in the people who are likely to end up working for the State Dept or other agencies. If you’re fluent in Bangla are you more likely to work in the government or as a translator for some big company when they want to open a factory? It also doesn’t help that a lot of those positions need beau coup security clearance, which can lead to problems with immigrants from those areas who learn English as their second.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

P-Mack posted:

just by virtue of China being so big 20 million people was only 5% of the population.
so the 30yw may hold the record for worst civil war of all time

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I feel like calling something like 30 yw a civil war is like calling WW1 a civil war since the majority of the participants eventually formed the European Union

and I like it

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

HEY GUNS posted:

so the 30yw may hold the record for worst civil war of all time

If I was going to contest it I'd go with the An Lushan rebellion even though I don't really buy the high end estimates.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nenonen posted:

I feel like calling something like 30 yw a civil war is like calling WW1 a civil war since the majority of the participants eventually formed the European Union

and I like it
a lot of the people involved were subjects of the same Emperor. The Imperial side sure tried to spin it as a civil war / rebellion

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

The war of Swedish aggression

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

The War to Resist French Imperialism and Aid the Palatinate

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Cyrano4747 posted:

This was a HUGE thing in the Cold War. A lot of the language grants you see today for mastering foreign languages were basically started so the US would always have a critical mass of people who spoke critics languages and at least a smattering of everything else. The Fulbright, FLAS, CLS, and CLEA all have deep Cold War roots. They still are active but funding has been slashed for a lot of them leading to a pretty well recognized crisis in foreign language proficiency, especially in the people who are likely to end up working for the State Dept or other agencies. If you’re fluent in Bangla are you more likely to work in the government or as a translator for some big company when they want to open a factory? It also doesn’t help that a lot of those positions need beau coup security clearance, which can lead to problems with immigrants from those areas who learn English as their second.

gently caress for that matter a lot of student exchange programs also have deep roots in that territory. Fulbright again had a lot of hopes of using what we would now recognize as American soft power to bring foreigners to American schools and make them love our way of life.

You see this going the other way too. The Germans were a bit concerned with their international image after WW2. They wanted people to think more of happy fat bavarians drinking beer and listening to Beethoven than angry, lank Prussians listening to Wagner while giving a map of France side-eye. Things like the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) and Goethe Institut both had a specific task (bring people to Germany to do research, learn the language) but they were also conceived of as cultural resources for strengthening political and economic ties and bringing Germany back into the international community. And it worked.

What’s more they still invest in it. I’m a great example. The DAAD paid for my dissertation research.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

P-Mack posted:

The War to Resist French Imperialism and Aid the Palatinate
the french part of the war is so weird but it makes a lot of sense, i mean they were funding the Empire's enemies for a while so may as well put boots on the ground???

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

FMguru posted:

The Mongol Conquests were more deadly than the Taiping Rebellion if you count the entire period. The conquest of China alone might have been more. But then again I guess there’s a huge controversy on how many people were actually killed in China at the time since it’s possible that the huge decrease in recorded population was partly because of the governments inability to properly tax everyone.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The Mongol Conquests were more deadly than the Taiping Rebellion if you count the entire period. The conquest of China alone might have been more. But then again I guess there’s a huge controversy on how many people were actually killed in China at the time since it’s possible that the huge decrease in recorded population was partly because of the governments inability to properly tax everyone.
the mongol conquests were not a civil war

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

HEY GUNS posted:

I was responding to a post that was talking about the deadliest wars in human history.

Goldreallas XXX
Oct 22, 2009

HEY GUNS posted:

Doesn't China spin Ghengiz as being from Inner Mongolia, and therefore technically a civil war?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Iceatollah posted:

Doesn't China spin Ghengiz as being from Inner Mongolia, and therefore technically a civil war?

Is that some nationalistic bullshit to avoid the icky fact that the 5000 years of uninterrupted history was in fact interrupted by dirty foreigners?

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

iirc there was an important general named Li on the taiping side. I've always liked that the slave-owning traitor from Virginia wasn't even the most important general Lee of his own time

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Is that some nationalistic bullshit to avoid the icky fact that the 5000 years of uninterrupted history was in fact interrupted by dirty foreigners?

Iceatollah posted:

No, they know he was a Mongol

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

The Jin dynasty he was invading was also ruled by Jurchen already, not Han

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

oystertoadfish posted:

iirc there was an important general named Li on the taiping side. I've always liked that the slave-owning traitor from Virginia wasn't even the most important general Lee of his own time

Li Hongzhang. He met with Grant during his post presidency world tour, and thought the name coincidence was hilarious.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

HEY GUNS posted:

so...subs are the navy's cavalry?

No, see, the British make good submarines.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Cessna posted:

It was never the horses who were the problem.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

P-Mack posted:

The war of Swedish aggression

The War on Popery :colbert:

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Cessna posted:

U-boats are tiny.

When I worked on Pampanito my boss and I did some consulting work on U-505, helping with ideas for what became their new indoor cradle system. This involved us flying out to Chicago and looking over the boat. Every time I went on the deck of that thing I thought I was going to fall off. The nickname "dugout canoes" is well-earned.

Here's a pic of a typical u-boat deck:

Somebody in the Airpower thread posted this the other day which is a nice illustration of the size difference:

Dante80 posted:

The big US fleet subs like the Gato were larger than even the largest German combat subs fielded, the IX D class. For comparison, here is a gato next to a VII.

And American submariners had ice cream machines, air conditioning, refrigeration and freezers, water distillers, laundry machines and plenty of bunk beds. The galley on a Gato class, according to a list I found, had "two griddles, a deep-fat fryer, two electric ovens, a electric mixer, and a two-gallon coffee urn." From what I can find U-Boats had, at most on the larger boats, three hot plates and two small electric ovens, a small refrigerator, a self-heating soup kettle, and a sink. (a feature like how economy cars will list "AM/FM radio" as a feature)

So imagine that, at the same time you've got Germans in harrowing Das Boot conditions in the Atlantic, there are a bunch of American submariners eating steak with french fries, and a sheet cake afterwards because they got a kill that day.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

C.M. Kruger posted:

So imagine that, at the same time you've got Germans in harrowing Das Boot conditions in the Atlantic, there are a bunch of American submariners eating steak with french fries, and a sheet cake afterwards because they got a kill that day.

When I worked on Pampanito the stove top still worked. We served donors breakfasts cooked according to navy menus on the sub, and they were quite good.

In WWII - and from what I hear this is still true today - the best cooks get submarine duty as a way to improve the quality of life for the crews. I got a ride on an SSBN once, and the food was excellent.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

Zudgemud posted:

It was never the horses who were the problem.
No, see, the British make excellent submarine commanders. The RN's sub commander training course, called The Perisher, is widely regarded as one of the most gruelling tests of ability in any military. If you fail it you don't just not get a command, you don't get to retain a job in the submarine service at all. Everyone on a submarine has to trust each other and the RN thinks if the crew knows you've failed the Perisher then they'll think you can't be trusted under pressure and you won't get 100% out of them. This is IJN Aviation tier pickiness and while in an actual war environment it's not going to be sustainable, neither is submarine production.

Anyone know why the American boat has two torpedoes strapped to the outside? I presume they can't run from that position and it seems like an odd place to put reloads.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Cessna posted:

Sometimes they make bad ones and sell them to Canada.

FrangibleCover posted:

Anyone know why the American boat has two torpedoes strapped to the outside? I presume they can't run from that position and it seems like an odd place to put reloads.

It is indeed for reloads. It's two more you can carry otherwise. A number of U-boats carried torpedoes externally as well.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 12, 2019

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

C.M. Kruger posted:

And American submariners had ice cream machines, air conditioning, refrigeration and freezers, water distillers, laundry machines and plenty of bunk beds. The galley on a Gato class, according to a list I found, had "two griddles, a deep-fat fryer, two electric ovens, a electric mixer, and a two-gallon coffee urn." From what I can find U-Boats had, at most on the larger boats, three hot plates and two small electric ovens, a small refrigerator, a self-heating soup kettle, and a sink. (a feature like how economy cars will list "AM/FM radio" as a feature)

My take away from Das Boot was that German submariners mostly ate bananas.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Phanatic posted:

It is indeed for reloads. It's two more you can carry otherwise. A number of U-boats carried torpedoes externally as well.

How do you get them down from there and into the tubes?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The Lone Badger posted:

They're carried down the hole by a surge of seamen

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

The Lone Badger posted:

same way you would pierside, through the torpedo loading hatch

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Phanatic posted:

Sometimes they make bad ones and sell them to Canada.

From what I heard they were just neglected while mothballed and ended up with a host of issues.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Japanese sub did shell Oregon once. Didn't have much impact, in part because the gun crews of Ft. Stevens bravely withdrew to the forest so they wouldn't be tempted to fire back and reveal that their coastal defense guns weren't installed properly. They also shelled Los Angeles oil refinery, causing a movie-worthy panic. IIRC the Germans tried to mine the US harbors a couple time as well.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
pikes are overrated
https://twitter.com/bellegenerico_/status/1094646279488061441

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

No, they know he was a Mongol

The official stance is that the Yuan Dynasty is a Chinese dynasty and Mongols are a Chinese people since the Qing Dynasty controlled all of Mongolia.

Mongolians in China know what's up but most Han Chinese will call Mongols from Mongolia proper, "Huaren." It essentially means people of Chinese descent born outside of China or descendants of a Chinese diaspora.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

The official stance is that the Yuan Dynasty is a Chinese dynasty and Mongols are a Chinese people since the Qing Dynasty controlled all of Mongolia.

Mongolians in China know what's up but most Han Chinese will call Mongols from Mongolia proper, "Huaren." It essentially means people of Chinese descent born outside of China or descendants of a Chinese diaspora.
i wish other people did this

it would own as hell if you opened a book about Tacitus and read that Germania was populated by Angela Merkels (Angelas Merkel?)

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

The Yuan Dynasty was a Chinese dynasty, but that's not the same thing as thinking Mongols are Chinese people. Mongols are an official ethnic minority of China, they speak a totally unintelligible language from Chinese, nor does written Mongolian use Chinese script. If somebody calls a Mongol a huaren then they're dumbasses or using some idiosyncratic version of the term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

P-Mack posted:

Pure numbers probably not, just by virtue of China being so big 20 million people was only 5% of the population. The areas where the fighting was concentrated certainly saw horrors to match anything in the 30yw though.

So, how did the Taiping rebellion spread so to so many people? :aaa: I've read your excellent posts on the conflict, but I never really got a handle on why they were so effective. I'm guessing wildly here, but did it have something to do with the Manchu dynasty being bad at government? I recently heard (in a podcast about taoism, weirdly enough) that there were actually co-belligerents against the Manchu, like the "turban rebels" and "sword societies", can you elaborate on that?

Thanks in advance!