Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

cr0y posted:

Can someone quickly tell me the statistical reason that the rasmussen poll is bullshit?

Scott Rasmussen uses outdated polling methods and strangely warped sample proportions; he's basically the Unskewed Polls guy with a thin veneer of respectability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

cr0y posted:

Can someone quickly tell me the statistical reason that the rasmussen poll is bullshit?

Bad sampling methods, IIRC

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

cr0y posted:

Likely voter model means polling only people who voted in the last election. Assuming that voter trends hold excludes people who were disenfranchised by the last election and produced wacky results in the effect of a wave election that may disappear in two years.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

cr0y posted:

it's never been right ever

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

cr0y posted:

Rasmussen usually has a 5-8% Republican slant.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Wendell posted:

Why is stick figure Trump humping the fake news?

It means "gently caress fake news"

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Wendell posted:

Why is stick figure Trump humping the fake news?
He's "loving" fake news. "gently caress fake news"

Like the T shirt they stole it from: a stick figure humping the word "It" ("gently caress it")

They're made by idiots.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Oh, I was thinking he’d hump things he liked, so it didn’t seem to make sense. A very good and smart t-shirt after all!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1095043822248026113

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

cr0y posted:

Go to their own webpage, click their own link to their track record and notice they don’t even mention a single thing past 2010 that they got right.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Go to their own webpage, click their own link to their track record and notice they don’t even mention a single thing past 2010 that they got right.

Didn't Rasmussen get caught altering their methodology very close to an election once when it became clear they were the only ones that weren't going to be correct?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

A Jewish lady friend of mine suggested that this entire outrage towards Rep. Omar is an attempt by Republicans, as well as the :siren:patriarchy:siren: in general (e.g. powerful men such as Schumer) to curb the growth of her popularity and influence. She said they have been trying this with AOC too, but nothing has been sticking there, but a Muslim making remarks that can be intentionally misconstrued as anti-semitic was something they could, and did, pounce on.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

enraged_camel posted:

A Jewish lady friend of mine suggested that this entire outrage towards Rep. Omar is an attempt by Republicans, as well as the :siren:patriarchy:siren: in general (e.g. powerful men such as Schumer) to curb the growth of her popularity and influence. She said they have been trying this with AOC too, but nothing has been sticking there, but a Muslim making remarks that can be intentionally misconstrued as anti-semitic was something they could, and did, pounce on.

The Likud lobby has been trying to destroy both Omar and Talib since the second they won. They are an existential threat.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Where were you when I said bannon got Norted?

I don't remember this.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
It’s worth noting that the same people already went after AOC for comparatively tamer and much more defensible comments and she also backed down under pressure.

They’re gonna keep doing it so long as it works.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

enraged_camel posted:

This is definitely part of it, but liberal Jewish rag, The Forward, has already put out two op-eds attacking Omar.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

enraged_camel posted:

Oh yeah it's 100% this with an added heaping of them just being excited to yell 'racist' at a woc.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!
Lawmakers say they have reached an ‘agreement in principle’ to avoid government shutdown

I'm hoping this doesn't include any money for the wall, but who knows atm.

quote:

At the beginning of talks, lawmakers looked for ways to avoid conflict over Trump’s demand that $5.7 billion in taxpayer money be used to build parts of a wall along the border with Mexico. Lawmakers were discussing sums between $1.3 billion and $2 billion, far short of Trump’s initial demands.

The White House recently signaled to Republicans that it could accept smaller sums, because it believed it could legally re-appropriate money from other accounts to build the wall. Moving money from one account to another could be challenged in court, but top White House officials have said they are prepared for legal challenges.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
I know this has been addressed a thousand times. But a partial shutdown is the kind where only poor people get screwed so they can do it longer, right?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

*schumerly* perhaps we could simply build half the wall?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Yeah yeah wake me when this gets Steve Doocy's approval.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Dudes gonna feel super bad when ICE comes knocking on his door

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

Is that like Uncle Adolf?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Madkal posted:

Dudes gonna feel super bad when ICE comes and throws him through his door

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport
Add my rep, Deb Haaland, to this list of people that need to get primaried. One of the first Native women in Congress hasn't had one word to say about Trump's Trail of Tears jab, but she called out Omar. gently caress.

https://mobile.twitter.com/repdebhaaland/status/1095070595379802112

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I find something deeply uncomfortable about someone demanding that a Native American representative be removed from office after one month because said Native American didn’t do enough in that person’s opinion to defend her race.

But what do I know.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...m=.2dd5cf8ccb38

quote:

BREAKING: Lawmakers say they have reached an “agreement in principle” to avoid government shutdown.

Top lawmakers say they have reached a deal to fund the government through the fall, a deal that would resolve ongoing disputes over immigration and — if signed into law by President Trump — stave off a partial government shutdown set to start Saturday.

The deal calls for $1.375 billion for border barriers (55 new miles of bollard fencing, with certain restrictions on location). Democrats have dropped their call for a new cap on interior detention beds, and the overall cap on detention beds drops from 49,057 to 40,520.

This is a developing story. It will be updated.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

quote:

The president is not a part of these negotiations. He’s waiting for a bill to come to his desk that he can sign into law,” she said. Democrats are “the ones hurtling us toward a shutdown.”

"I'm not doing poo poo to help, therefore the problem is you."

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Riptor posted:

GREAT CUM

Shutdown 2: GREAT CUM

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

gameday posted:

Add my rep, Deb Haaland, to this list of people that need to get primaried. One of the first Native women in Congress hasn't had one word to say about Trump's Trail of Tears jab, but she called out Omar. gently caress.

https://mobile.twitter.com/repdebhaaland/status/1095070595379802112

Oh come on dude. Jesus. Yes, this situation sucks, no, this does not make her A Bad Dem.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

"I'm not doing poo poo to help, therefore the problem is you."

lawmakers eagerly await trump tweeting that the deal is unacceptable within the next 12 hours

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

fence funding for 3% of the border doesn't sound like a win for Trump

lmao at "Finish the Wall" goalposts shifting

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

enraged_camel posted:

Yep. 100% with Rep. Omar, but this whole day feels like pushback for Rep. Steve King, et. al. and a Republican hardon to gain traction from the VA Democrat debacle. All words must be minced in politics (and SA USPOL), Jake.

Reality aside, gently caress the Democratic leadership for their lobby-sucking response, and gently caress big money in politics. As important as the green revolution is, it might be necessary to first remove all non-public finance from all politics everywhere forever.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Build one of those underground shock fences and hope anyone trying to cross the border has the corresponding collar.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I find something deeply uncomfortable about someone demanding that a Native American representative be removed from office after one month because said Native American didn’t do enough in that person’s opinion to defend her race.

But what do I know.

I agree actually, I think that’s too strong of a response.

There’s plenty of safe seat white dude and white women reps who could’ve stuck up for Omar.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
For the record I feel that unless those 55 miles of structures are all at ports of entry (which they very well might be since that’s a real small amount) I don’t support giving Trump even that and I hope he doesn’t sign it to save the Dems from themselves. But if they’re building new fences at ports and road crossings or whatever than fine since that’s what they’ve been offering since the start.

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

But what do I know.

My issue is that she's saying Omar made anti-Semitic comments, which she did not. I didn't mean to conflate that so closely with her not commenting on Trump, that was my mistake. And I'm not demanding that she be removed from office, just hoping we can find someone here to primary her from the left.

Lightning Knight posted:

There’s plenty of safe seat white dude and white women reps who could’ve stuck up for Omar.

And if she hadn't stuck up for Omar, that would be one thing, but she joined in on the anti-Semitism train, and it's not something I want to see my representative doing. She's got a year and a half to change my mind.

gameday fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 12, 2019

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Lightning Knight posted:

Has literally anyone done so, still?

Because i knew Israel had the hooks in but if literally nobody is behind her that's kinda terrifying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

For the record I feel that unless those 55 miles of structures are all at ports of entry (which they very well might be since that’s a real small amount) I don’t support giving Trump even that and I hope he doesn’t sign it to save the Dems from themselves. But if they’re building new fences at ports and road crossings or whatever than fine since that’s what they’ve been offering since the start.

Is it enough for Trump to credibly declare victory, or while Coulter and co. roast it as caving into the Dems?