Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Amdis posted:

How active is the community in this game? I've always been kind of interested in but just didn't get around to it. Got a bit of time so I'd like to give it a spin but don't know how awful it's going to be as a complete newbie.

Its plenty active on all platforms, highest on PS4. As a total newbie you will get rolled occasionally without a doubt, sometimes to the point of wondering 'how can i even do anything to beat that?'. But every multiplayer mode has the option to play vs AI which should be used to get a general feel for the game. Then just pick whatever character you think is cool and hunt down some youtube videos on how to play that character.

As you leave the vs AI modes behind I recommend you stick with 1v1 vs human players for a while. The bigger modes may seem more forgiving to new players (because you have teammates) but nothing is more frustrating as a new player than getting ganged up on, because it seems impossible to overcome. Although eventually it comes full circle to where in some instances 2v1s are actually easier for the outnumbered player, but only when you have a lot of experience under your belt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

After trying him for a few rounds, it does look like Newgoki is actually pretty good now. So many powerhugs. :getin:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i just hope it's lawbringers turn to be buffed soon :smith:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
They said he's getting his buff next. Probably next season or something? The shugoki rework gives me hope for the Lawman

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Gotta hand it to Ubisoft, they took a game that was broken at launch and turned it into something relatively decent, even on PC where they have a tiny playerbase

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Zzulu posted:

They said he's getting his buff next. Probably next season or something? The shugoki rework gives me hope for the Lawman

And here I sit waiting for my poor Nobushi to get a proper rework. :negative:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

After bouncing off this game a little after launch, bought the expansion because I was excited about practicing in single player before getting constantly owned online. Downloaded 3GB of patches and launched, and now it wants to do some kind of additional update and can't connect to the download servers, has no timeout, won't let me play.

Suuuuuper stoked.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Was excited enough to buy this game with season pass at launch on PC for some reason. Played it a bunch but burned out. The ability to correct my mistake for free since it's on ps plus this month has got stoked, RIP my expansions though.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Fix posted:

After bouncing off this game a little after launch, bought the expansion because I was excited about practicing in single player before getting constantly owned online. Downloaded 3GB of patches and launched, and now it wants to do some kind of additional update and can't connect to the download servers, has no timeout, won't let me play.

Suuuuuper stoked.

make sure that you have enough space to download the patch if you're on ps4/xbone, that's a known bug on consoles I think?

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Really disappointed that the OG season pass doesn't include the last 2 content updates. Not that I necessarily expected them to but I'm an old who longs for the halcyon days of a couple years ago when buying a season pass meant you got all the major dlc.

Also bummed that I spent 60k steel for a year of champion status like 2 years ago and then got tired of the game and sold it a month later.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

yeah, this game's microtransactions are pretty heavy handed and it's egregious how much development effort is spent on the stuff theyre selling for either money or ingame currency (new characters, new customization options like every week) vs stuff they arent charging for like maps and balance patches which come out at a glacial rate

the new character has an exploit where if his opponent is out of stamina and blocks a light attack (if you block a light attack when out of stamina it does not make your opponent recoil and end their combo like it normally does) he has time to follow up with an undodgeable shield bash (undodgeable since the guy that blocked is still locked in his blocking animation) that both drains stamina and guarantees a light attack. it is hilariously broken and could be easily fixed by adjusting some parameters of when you can cancel an animation but has been in the game for like two weeks now

ubisoft has fully transitioned to considering the base game as a platform for the delivery of more and more addons

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 8, 2019

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Surprises me not at all because games like For Honor and Siege exist to sell microtransactions, which Ubisoft makes more money from than actual game sales.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

The Iron Rose posted:

make sure that you have enough space to download the patch if you're on ps4/xbone, that's a known bug on consoles I think?

It just took forever to connect. I got it.

I'm really bad at this game.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Man, this game is much better than it was a couple years ago.

PS4 question: I bought the expansion on one account but can't get the characters, etc on other profiles on the same machine. Is that a thing? Because I'm picking up on an old profile on one account that had some work put into it, and the other account has access to all the stuff. Can I merge this somehow?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I hate microtransactions but I mean, that's what this game profits from. Without those, it'd simply stop getting any new content at all after the initial launch.

Though I do agree more maps need to be made

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Fix posted:

Man, this game is much better than it was a couple years ago.

PS4 question: I bought the expansion on one account but can't get the characters, etc on other profiles on the same machine. Is that a thing? Because I'm picking up on an old profile on one account that had some work put into it, and the other account has access to all the stuff. Can I merge this somehow?

Is that how all dlc works on PS4? It might be.

Double check that the profile that owns the dlc has your PS4 set as its primary system.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Captain Beans posted:

Is that how all dlc works on PS4? It might be.

Double check that the profile that owns the dlc has your PS4 set as its primary system.

Yeah, it should be fine. This is the only game I've ever run into the problem with.

Evidently this was a big problem three months ago?

It's locked me out of my season 1 pass characters on sub-accounts as well. Wants me to repurchase them. I'd just play it on the main account, but the sub-account is the one that I actually played multiplayer on before and it's sitting on a whole bunch of loot boxes from the various seasons I missed in the interim, so I'd rather start playing again on that one, all things told.

e: Ah, now I see on the Ubi support page this:

quote:

Please note that the content of the Marching Fire Expansion is bound to the primary account and cannot be shared with any sub-account.

Which is an interesting thing to say, considering they were working on it as a bug three months ago, never mind locking me out of the season pass stuff.

Ahh. Now I see that according to the Season Pass page, they've locked it to the primary account as well, which is not how it used to play.

So that's 41 loot boxes I'll have to write off.

Fix fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 10, 2019

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The out of stamina pressure from the Black Prior is nuts and needs to be nerfed. If I can get my opponent out of stamina he WILL lose because I can permanently keep him out of stamina forever. The shield bash eats so much stamina its crazy

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Zzulu posted:

The out of stamina pressure from the Black Prior is nuts and needs to be nerfed. If I can get my opponent out of stamina he WILL lose because I can permanently keep him out of stamina forever. The shield bash eats so much stamina its crazy

Oh cool so it's Centurion but even more frustrating to play against.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The centurion isn't as good as he used to be and is considered quite bad these days

He still catches me with that one combo he has every now and then though

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Fix posted:

Ahh. Now I see that according to the Season Pass page, they've locked it to the primary account as well, which is not how it used to play.

So that's 41 loot boxes I'll have to write off.

That is some loving bullshit.

Been playing some, and now I'm wondering which characters are the absolute poo poo tier. Valkyrie and aramusha?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

aramusha and lawbringer for sure imo

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Here's a video going over the various current tiers (before the Shugoki rework)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2F8WIyUa40

Remember though, these tiers are based on TOP TIER competitive players so it assumes that everyone involved have amazing reactions and parry skills and stuff (and some characters are only high tier because of some specific bullshit move). If you're just a casual player you'll probably just do best with whatever character you think is most fun. For example, I am absolutely poo poo with some of the S-tier characters because the playstyle just doesn't click with me at all or they rely on great defense which I'm terrible at

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Feb 12, 2019

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

titties posted:

Been playing some, and now I'm wondering which characters are the absolute poo poo tier. Valkyrie and aramusha?

Platform matters too. You can roll people as both of those characters on console because their weaknesses are masked by the generally slower reactions of people.

Most poo poo tier character I think is warlord. Boring to play, boring to fight. Basically no moves. Raider is poo poo tier in any non team fight situation, slow lights and no bash to crutch on.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
How is Shinobi so high in that tier list, just abusing bleed?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Captain Beans posted:

Platform matters too. You can roll people as both of those characters on console because their weaknesses are masked by the generally slower reactions of people.

Most poo poo tier character I think is warlord. Boring to play, boring to fight. Basically no moves. Raider is poo poo tier in any non team fight situation, slow lights and no bash to crutch on.

Imo Raider is pretty good in a meta way. Everyone is used to the usual Raider plays so it's really easy to mix people up with things as simple as throwing a heavy after a side Dodge.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Shima Honnou posted:

How is Shinobi so high in that tier list, just abusing bleed?

Same question for Nobushi, who somehow ends up in top tier for conquest, but bottom in duels. I guess it's about landing long-ranged pokes from offscreen and then just running like gently caress or something?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Shinobi can do amazing ganks in 4v4's (with a good team). He has a slide tackle that fucks with people, he can attack/GB from range and if he guardbreaks you he can lock you in a very long animation while he and his teammates deal damage to you. He's also very fast and can cap points all over the map faster to break up the enemy team

Nobushi is mostly good in 4v4's because her weaknesses can be mitigated by good teammates and because she can quickly poke you with poison in teamfights.Basically if you do anything during a gank she can quickly apply poison to you and it won't feed the revenge meter a lot.

She also has amazing synergy with other heroes like Shaman

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Feb 12, 2019

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Zzulu posted:

Nobushi is mostly good in 4v4's because her weaknesses can be mitigated by good teammates and because she can quickly poke you with poison in teamfights.Basically if you do anything during a gank she can quickly apply poison to you and it won't feed the revenge meter a lot.

She also has amazing synergy with other heroes like Shaman
She also has very wide, long ranged sweeping attacks that can easily hit multiple enemies. Easy to parry in a 1v1 of course, but in a teamfight only your targeted enemy is allowed to parry you; anyone else that attempts to gets hit in the face instead. So if you target the one guy that's way out of reach you can safely attack with impunity.

Edit: Although Conquerors and now Black Priors can throw a wrench in that plan I suppose, since they can still do their shield-stance counters regardless.

Exodee fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Feb 12, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zzulu posted:

I hate microtransactions but I mean, that's what this game profits from. Without those, it'd simply stop getting any new content at all after the initial launch.

Though I do agree more maps need to be made

Also if you play the game whatsoever its super super easy to unlock everything as it comes out.

Paying only really gives you a week early access. A week is nothing.

This game is real good and has a reasonable monetization scheme, so of course everybody plays stupid battle royale games instead :smith:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

titties posted:

Tiers don't matter that much in this game. The characters are all so simple and down to basics, the player who wins is whoever does the best mixups and reads.

Good players can win with valk or aramusha easy. Tier is mostly psychological.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

This game is real good and has a reasonable monetization scheme, so of course everybody plays stupid battle royale games instead :smith:

As much as I hate battle royales, I could see that being real fun with For Honor combat. Just need someone else's netcode

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Nasgate posted:

As much as I hate battle royales, I could see that being real fun with For Honor combat. Just need someone else's netcode

Maaaaybe. For honor is best with 1 on 1 battles, not big unlocked chaos. So you'd have to build a level such that players would be mostly separated and allowed to have duels in different areas. Which could be done.

I think just like a proper tournament mode would be nice.

What this really needs is what Blade Symphony had, a duel mode where you can load into a lobby with like 30 people and just hang out and take turns challenging each other to duels, and spectating other people's fights.

poo poo they could have a whole Colosseum mode where you gamble on other player's duels based on who you think will win.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The most popular game mode in For Honor is Dominion which is all about ganks and chaos

FARTSTAR
Jun 28, 2004

Zzulu posted:

its getting patched tomorrow, he's got some other weird bugs besides what theyre fixing but the oos thing is the most glaring issue

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Tiers don't matter that much in this game. The characters are all so simple and down to basics, the player who wins is whoever does the best mixups and reads.

Good players can win with valk or aramusha easy. Tier is mostly psychological.

True, but there is a difference in effort and time you need to get anywhere. Way back near release I went through all the characters one by one to get them to reputation 1 each, and ended up going directly from pre-patch Valk to Orochi. The difference in effort was insane. With Valk I had to pull out all the stops to get anywhere, going through feints and mixups and wallbangs and whatnot just to sloowly whittle down a guy. Meanwhile with Orochi I more or less just had to slam light attack a few times and maybe the occasional dodge and ZA and people just evaporated.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Zaphod42 posted:

Maaaaybe. For honor is best with 1 on 1 battles, not big unlocked chaos. So you'd have to build a level such that players would be mostly separated and allowed to have duels in different areas. Which could be done.

I think just like a proper tournament mode would be nice.

What this really needs is what Blade Symphony had, a duel mode where you can load into a lobby with like 30 people and just hang out and take turns challenging each other to duels, and spectating other people's fights.

poo poo they could have a whole Colosseum mode where you gamble on other player's duels based on who you think will win.

God yes. A lobby like duel mode would be great. That’s what their ‘ranked tournament beta’ should have been. If you finish your matches you get to spectate others, talk poo poo, bet on out comes. Next level could be were you can bid points to handicap yourself or buff your opponent kind of like the arcade mode.

I actually like the basically dead mode of 4v4 elimination because it’s as close as we get to this right now.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
So black prior is some bullshit right? It's not just new guy shine?

Like what advantage does conqueror or warlord have over this guy?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Perestroika posted:

True, but there is a difference in effort and time you need to get anywhere. Way back near release I went through all the characters one by one to get them to reputation 1 each, and ended up going directly from pre-patch Valk to Orochi. The difference in effort was insane. With Valk I had to pull out all the stops to get anywhere, going through feints and mixups and wallbangs and whatnot just to sloowly whittle down a guy. Meanwhile with Orochi I more or less just had to slam light attack a few times and maybe the occasional dodge and ZA and people just evaporated.

This still happens at low levels of play. The fastest attacks in the game are 400ms and Orochi is one of the heroes who do them (Nuxia, too). With them you can just spam attacks and you'll annihilate people with bad defense.

At higher levels of play these characters become complete trash because those players can negate the 400ms light attack and suddenly those heroes have garbage toolkits compared to others

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Comrayn posted:

So black prior is some bullshit right? It's not just new guy shine?

Like what advantage does conqueror or warlord have over this guy?

Yes Black Prior is very strong. Mostly due to the fact that his bash is a bit too easy to land right now and all but guarantees 20 dmg.

Most black priors just have to do light attack -> bash light attack or bash -> light attack to win a lot of engagements

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 13, 2019