Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
Yeah. I was feeling pretty down earlier and just took a break from all this poo poo. It helped.

E:

The Super-Id fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Feb 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

you know who liked dogs? AND had a German Shepherd old fashioned like?

https://imgur.com/gallery/5jcUy

winterwerefox fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Feb 12, 2019

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Lycus posted:

Glad to see @GOP doesn't have as many like-bots as Trump.

Will we ever get an even somewhat accurate count on how much Trump’s online mob is astroturfed?

I know there’s Poe’s law and similar issues, but it honestly seems like 80+% of Trump supporters are obvious bots with obvious bot names (Patriot6385933, BlackMAGA7138493, etc.)

They are all toxic as gently caress. I try to avoid engaging with them, but it’s hard not to take an easy dunk sometimes. They are an annoying as poo poo group that has to be one of the loudest echo chambers ever conceived of by humans.

Kale
May 14, 2010

So congressional leaders saying they have a deal in plan for later Tuesday to avoid a shutdown seems to indicate they'll whip a veto proof majority between Schumer and McConnell....right? Otherwise there's always the chance that Trump can pitch a fit and force another shutdown anyway. If the former turns out to be the case than color me pretty drat surprised and it'd be the first example I can think of of the Senate not just being a White House rubber stamp or barrier in congress depending on Trumps mood at any given hour of the day.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Kale posted:

So congressional leaders saying they have a deal in plan for later Tuesday to avoid a shutdown seems to indicate they'll whip a veto proof majority between Schumer and McConnell....right? Otherwise there's always the chance that Trump can pitch a fit and force another shutdown anyway. If the former turns out to be the case than color me pretty drat surprised and it'd be the first example I can think of of the Senate not just being a White House rubber stamp or barrier in congress depending on Trumps mood at any given hour of the day.

Yeah, they kept Trump and the White House out of the negotiations this time for a reason. Push it through the Senate with a quick vote, let Trump yell at Pelosi as she passes it and the HFC act like the racist assholes they are, and then Trump passes it while negging it and declares the national emergency.

People have allegedly been trying to talk him out of the national emergency step but its the big ego saver after he "loses" this. But we're not hearing ANYTHING about the Senate being willing to shut down the government again. Even their "50/50" stuff this week was all being phrased as "if the Democrats do something crazy like try and abolish ICE or give us nothing." I half think that the "Dems want a cap on the beds/Dems give up cap demands on the beds" something the Dems just threw out there to "compromise" on to lure the GOP into not fighting or something the GOP just spun up to try and frame the loss as something they fought hard on.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
He'll probably be more likely to veto a veto-proof bill to satisfy the chuds. Simple majority will put him under actual pressure.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

friendbot2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/IlhanMN/status/1095084754272243714?s=19

She is not out of the game yet and regular people are going to bat for her.

If the establishment wont back her then that means we all have to. Call your dem rep every loving day and bitch about how they handled this. Every. drat. Day.

Guess who my representative is :smug:

I should call her to give my support, honestly.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Pigbuster posted:

You should, her party is letting her down and I bet it would help.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Pigbuster posted:

I did and it felt good :chord::hf::chord:

Kale
May 14, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, they kept Trump and the White House out of the negotiations this time for a reason. Push it through the Senate with a quick vote, let Trump yell at Pelosi as she passes it and the HFC act like the racist assholes they are, and then Trump passes it while negging it and declares the national emergency.

People have allegedly been trying to talk him out of the national emergency step but its the big ego saver after he "loses" this. But we're not hearing ANYTHING about the Senate being willing to shut down the government again. Even their "50/50" stuff this week was all being phrased as "if the Democrats do something crazy like try and abolish ICE or give us nothing." I half think that the "Dems want a cap on the beds/Dems give up cap demands on the beds" something the Dems just threw out there to "compromise" on to lure the GOP into not fighting or something the GOP just spun up to try and frame the loss as something they fought hard on.

I think the only one that really doesn't care about another shutdown or not is Trump, but nothing about how McConnell's handled him up until now has given me confidence to believe he wouldn't follow him off that cliff which is why this news is surprising to me. As has been pointed out, first he was for the 1.7 billion for border security bill then he was against it and a CR when Trump threw his hissy fit after his Fox and Friends threatened to abandon him and refused to sign it without the 5 billion or so for the well, then he was at least for the CR when Trump finally relented. This is why I'm skeptical of the language "agreement in principle" because it makes it sound like code for as long as Trump says it's okay and that's apparently the overriding factor.

And yeah none of this doesn't mean the scenario where he declares the rarely seen outside of war times and post disaster national emergency privilege to try to build it but that battle being fought out in the courts and being their problem is a heck of a lot better than another shutdown and government employee hostage holding.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Lycus posted:

He'll probably be more likely to veto a veto-proof bill to satisfy the chuds. Simple majority will put him under actual pressure.

I don't think I agree. Trump vetoing the bill and the Republican overriding it puts them in a lovely position. Trump may not care about that but McConnell and CO are definitely pushing it hard. And the part that Trump DOES care about is that the Republicans overriding his veto effectively says "We're more powerful than you." That's Trump straight up losing not just to the Democrats but to the Republicans too. And Trump doesn't want that.

My guess? Veto proof majority. Trump will talk poo poo about it, the Republicans will try and make Pelosi own it while also arguing that they totally got wall money by any other name, and then someone will write a statement for Trump where he says he would love to veto it but it wouldn't matter except to hurt people while the government was shut down and thus try and cast himself as the guy in power looking out for everyone. Then national emergency because "gently caress those guys telling me not to, they just screwed me on the deal."

Also DONALD TRUMP HAS NO BALLS AND HAS NEVER ONCE IN HIS TWO YEARS AS PRESIDENT STOOD UP IN HIS GROWN BOY PANTS AND ACTUALLY DONE SOMETHING INSTEAD OF JUST HAVING A LACKEY DO IT FOR HIM.

But also all that other stuff.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
When is the last time a president has let a bill pass without signing or vetoing it?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Kale posted:

I think the only one that really doesn't care about another shutdown or not is Trump, but nothing about how McConnell's handled him up until now has given me confidence to believe he wouldn't follow him off that cliff which is why this news is surprising to me. As has been pointed out, first he was for the 1.7 billion for border security bill then he was against it and a CR when Trump threw his hissy fit after his Fox and Friends threatened to abandon him and refused to sign it without the 5 billion or so for the well, then he was at least for the CR when Trump finally relented. This is why I'm skeptical of the language "agreement in principle" because it makes it sound like code for as long as Trump says it's okay and that's apparently the overriding factor.

And yeah none of this doesn't mean the scenario where he declares the rarely seen outside of war times and post disaster national emergency privilege to try to build it but that battle being fought out in the courts and being their problem is a heck of a lot better than another shutdown and government employee hostage holding.

I think McConnell's been sending messages this whole time. He actively avoided the discussion during most of the shutdown and kept putting the onus for the shutdown on Pelosi and Trump. Then he ran that vote for Trump's bill AND the clean CR to send a message to Trump about how he was losing and the Republicans were breaking. We've heard reports that McConnell was first trying to convince Trump that he'd lose the Republican Senate support if he pushed it too far and then that he'd lose them if he pushes the national emergency.

What I'd say about McConnell is that I believe he'll act in his self interests. He knows shutting down the government again would be political disaster and he knows Pelosi's gonna stand firm on the wall again and they're not getting what Trump wants. Last time Paul Ryan took the hit for starting the shutdown. This time Mitch will have to take the hit. I don't think he'll do it for Trump and I think all the stuff we've been hearing as suggested he's already looking past it and to the "national emergency" problem.

If I were going to praise McConnell I'd even suggest that the "don't do a national emergency, the Republicans will fight you" was a ploy to just reframe Trump's interests past the shutdown so he could "win" the national emergency thing with Mitch knowing then it just stops being his problem as it gets tied up in courts.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

STAC Goat posted:

I think McConnell's been sending messages this whole time. He actively avoided the discussion during most of the shutdown and kept putting the onus for the shutdown on Pelosi and Trump. Then he ran that vote for Trump's bill AND the clean CR to send a message to Trump about how he was losing and the Republicans were breaking. We've heard reports that McConnell was first trying to convince Trump that he'd lose the Republican Senate support if he pushed it too far and then that he'd lose them if he pushes the national emergency.

What I'd say about McConnell is that I believe he'll act in his self interests. He knows shutting down the government again would be political disaster and he knows Pelosi's gonna stand firm on the wall again and they're not getting what Trump wants. Last time Paul Ryan took the hit for starting the shutdown. This time Mitch will have to take the hit. I don't think he'll do it for Trump and I think all the stuff we've been hearing as suggested he's already looking past it and to the "national emergency" problem.

If I were going to praise McConnell I'd even suggest that the "don't do a national emergency, the Republicans will fight you" was a ploy to just reframe Trump's interests past the shutdown so he could "win" the national emergency thing with Mitch knowing then it just stops being his problem as it gets tied up in courts.

McConnell is extremely good at the awful things he does, that's why i hate him

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

STAC Goat posted:

Also DONALD TRUMP HAS NO BALLS AND HAS NEVER ONCE IN HIS TWO YEARS AS PRESIDENT STOOD UP IN HIS GROWN BOY PANTS AND ACTUALLY DONE SOMETHING INSTEAD OF JUST HAVING A LACKEY DO IT FOR HIM.

But also all that other stuff.

Now, be fair. When you're the President you're supposed to have lackeys doing things for you. Such as placing your McDonald's order, or placing your Wendy's order, or placing your Domino's order, or...

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Omar really stepped on a landmine and all the other freshman's are like ":stonk: that could have been me!"

Chelsea Clinton is also being extremely disingenuous in efforts to gather political favours for her future presidential run

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

theflyingorc posted:

McConnell is extremely good at the awful things he does, that's why i hate him

Yeah, that's why I'm willing to go the conspiracy route of "he's playing Trump" or "this bed caps thing was a framing trick" with it. Because as much as I hate McConnell I respect that he's loving good at this poo poo. Its why I hate him.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Pigbuster posted:

Now's definitely the time.

Katt posted:

Omar really stepped on a landmine and all the other freshman's are like ":stonk: that could have been me!"

Chelsea Clinton is also being extremely disingenuous in efforts to gather political favours for her future presidential run

Did any of them say anything in her defense and/or support while this was all going down? I'm not sure if I just missed any public support.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

friendbot2000 posted:

As someone who has deprogramed from a similar hateful ideology. I proudly call this man brother.

Do tell. I’m always interested in these kind of stories. I wasn’t specifically deprogrammed but I worked my way out of 2 decades of Christian school and non stop church world view programming. Mine isn’t a particularly interesting story as it’s just slowly coming to realizations that this and that and the other thing I’ve been told a lot is actually just total bullshit. Being interested in science and having empathy did most of the work.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Dammerung posted:

Did any of them say anything in her defense and/or support while this was all going down? I'm not sure if I just missed any public support.

Not a thing but AOC cancelled some event with the UK left wing opposition leader because some rando tweeted at her that he was anti-semitic.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Pigbuster posted:

I donated, you call.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Spent an hour defending Omar on twitter, and now I have 10 new Nazi followers. loving Democrats.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lycus posted:

When is the last time a president has let a bill pass without signing or vetoing it?

W tried to do a pocket veto, but was technically unsuccessful. He ended up getting what he wanted though.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

This probably got posted already, but this was to batshit not to post up

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-parade-float-italy_us_5c611a4ae4b0eec79b254486

Someone made a float of Trump as the God Emperor of Mankind.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

W tried to do a pocket veto, but was technically unsuccessful. He ended up getting what he wanted though.

Not pocket veto. Letting it pass.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lycus posted:

Not pocket veto. Letting it pass.

Misread, sorry.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Jack2142 posted:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-parade-float-italy_us_5c611a4ae4b0eec79b254486

Oh my loving god. You weren't kidding.

Literally the God Emperor of Mankind from WH40K except he has a mutated monster claw on one arm. And he's Trump. Though both probably have the same level of narcissism so :shrug:.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Katt posted:

Not a thing but AOC cancelled some event with the UK left wing opposition leader because some rando tweeted at her that he was anti-semitic.

That is... disappointing.

Stickman posted:

Spent an hour defending Omar on twitter, and now I have 10 new Nazi followers. loving Democrats.

It's extremely disheartening that the discourse has developed to this extent. I don't think that concerns about the impact of perhaps the largest lobbying organization in the United States should be broadly dismissed as anti-Semitic. It just crushes discussion.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Dammerung posted:

...I don't think that concerns about the impact of perhaps the largest lobbying organization in the United States should be broadly dismissed as anti-Semitic. It just crushes discussion.

lol that's the entire point

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Jack2142 posted:

Aww I was really hoping it was Baron Harkonnen with Trumps head.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Archonex posted:

Literally the God Emperor of Mankind from WH40K except he has a mutated monster claw on one arm. And he's Trump. Though both probably have the same level of narcissism so :shrug:.

That's the emperors lightning claws.

Anyway the complete lack of MAGA iconography makes me believe that this is 100% satire in the form of "this is what Americans believe"

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Katt posted:

Anyway the complete lack of MAGA iconography makes me believe that this is 100% satire in the form of "this is what Americans believe"

They look a lot more like chaos-mutated claws than Imperium lightning claws!

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Katt posted:

Nah. The guy went on record about his reasoning behind it. Also "God Emperor Trump" was a 4chan meme during the election.

A bunch of idiot nerds that thought fascism was good (And that if 40K was real they wouldn't be the first to be purged for being slow and weak. Or be purged as Slaanesh worshipers for all the poo poo that goes up on the pornographic boards.) and never got the memo that 40K is supposed to be dystopian satire about things that are objectively bad kept repeating the meme until people started making image edits.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Feb 12, 2019

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Archonex posted:

Oh my loving god. You weren't kidding.

Check out the hilt of the sword.

Also, the sword's inscription says "here's your loving tariffs".

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Katt posted:

The video linked shows a bunch of Space Marine and Sisters of Battle cosplayers with the whole 9-yards, it's way too high effort to be satire.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Stickman posted:

They look a lot more like chaos-mutated claws than Imperium lightning claws!

You know the emperor got his powers from making a bargain with the chaos gods. He went into a portal to the warp and bargained and got powers. Then he came out and was like "lol fingers crossed" and kept the powers while never honouring the bargain.

Horus then went through the same portal during the heresy. But being a man of action and no compromise he fought the chaos gods. Raised armies in the warp, lead them on vast campaigns and threatened the very base of power of the chaos gods. Then when he had them at his mercy he demanded the same powers that his father got but he would accept no bargains in return.

After having spent years in the warp accomplishing this, he assumed that the heresy had floundered without him, but in the real world he had only been gone a few seconds.

Also the chaos gods were just trolling him by making him believe that he took power from them. In reality they gave him power to gently caress with the emperor along with like ten buckets of warp brain spiders to boot.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

So you're saying that the god-emperor isn't the right analogy :v:

E: Horus sounds like he did too much work, too. Was there a lazy one?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Stickman posted:

So you're saying that the god-emperor isn't the right analogy :v:

E: Horus sounds like he did too much work, too. Was there a lazy one?

There was Sanguinus, who would fly into a crazed rage whenever someone with the wrong blood showed up.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Sanguinius represents the hope of the nascent Imperium, definitely not Trump. He's not important enough to be any of the major players.

Trump would be the planetary governor of Armageddon during the Second War.
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Herman_von_Strab

quote:

Herman von Strab was the Overlord of Armageddon during the Second War for Armageddon, during which conflict he became notorious for his disastrously inept leadership.

Princeps Prime Kurtiz Mannheim of the Iron Skulls Titan Legion, who would eventually perish as a result of von Strab's orders, described the Overlord as "the greatest waste of flesh and bone born in the last five hundred years."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Mystic Mongol posted:

There was Sanguinus, who would fly into a crazed rage whenever someone with the wrong blood showed up.

Ah yes the Blood Angels. Vampire space marines seemed like such a novel idea in 1990 :v: