Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers

50 shades of poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Amazing Zimmo posted:

50 shades of poo poo

50 shits in space.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Anthem deserves the lack of preorders. Their demo featured a cavalcade of technical problems like you'd expect from something in 2000. Once you got past that it was so aggressively mediocre that I never got far enough to see the non-starter robots. They had a chance, after the colossal failure of the first demo, to come out ahead - apologize for the fuckup, say you'll fix it for the next one (they did!) and ask people to come try it then while outlining explicitly all the concerns that would be fixed. They opted for saying the issue that happened to 100% of the people playing was supposed to already be fixed and blaming ISPs for all connection/crash issues.

It's using a similar method to SC, too. Pay them $60 for their alpha now and they promise to eventually deliver a game. They've got a roadmap! The game will be patched in periodically! This is in no way a weird thing and totally normal!

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Larz posted:

"That's the effect of living backwards," Chris said kindly: "it always makes one a little giddy at first-"
"Living backwards!" Alice repeated in great astonishment. "I never heard of such a thing!"
"-but there's one great advantage in it, that one's memory works both ways."
"I'm sure mine only works one way," Alice remarked. "I can't remember things before they happen."
"It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards," Chris remarked.
"What sort of things do you remember best?" Alice ventured to ask.
"Oh, things that happened the week after next," Chris replied in a careless tone. "For instance, now," he went on, sticking a large plastic spaceship on his finger as he spoke, "there's Star Citizen. It has more content then any AAA game and the development doesn't even begin till next Wednesday: and of course gameplay comes last of all."
"Suppose gameplay never comes?" said Alice.
"That would be all the better wouldn't it?" Chris said as he bound the ship round his finger with a bit of ribbon.
Alice felt there was no denying that. "Of course it would be all the better," she said "but it wouldn't be all the better having paid for it."
"You're wrong there at any rate," said Chris. "Have you ever paid for a game?"
"Only for finished ones," said Alice.
"And you were all the better for it, I know!" Chris said triumphantly.
"Yes but then I got to play what I paid for," said Alice: "that makes all the difference."
"But if you hadn't played them," Chris said, "that would have been better still; better, and better, and better!" His voice went higher with each "better" till it got quite to a squeak at last.
-excerpt from “Through the Blue Pixel and What Alice Found There"

:five:

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Mailer posted:

Anthem deserves the lack of preorders. Their demo featured a cavalcade of technical problems like you'd expect from something in 2000. Once you got past that it was so aggressively mediocre that I never got far enough to see the non-starter robots. They had a chance, after the colossal failure of the first demo, to come out ahead - apologize for the fuckup, say you'll fix it for the next one (they did!) and ask people to come try it then while outlining explicitly all the concerns that would be fixed. They opted for saying the issue that happened to 100% of the people playing was supposed to already be fixed and blaming ISPs for all connection/crash issues.

It's using a similar method to SC, too. Pay them $60 for their alpha now and they promise to eventually deliver a game. They've got a roadmap! The game will be patched in periodically! This is in no way a weird thing and totally normal!

That’s basically what EA does now, they want the next big live service but are too cheap and lazy to actually launch a complete game. BFV launched in the same state with about 50% of its content promised in “future updates”, none of which have happened yet. The battle royale mode isn’t even coming until some time in the spring.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

It’s hilarious that this hardcore space sim with a living/breathing universe of unprecedented fidelity is being turned into someone’s lovely attempt to mod Planetside gameplay into Crysis, but with realistic ice cubes in your space whiskey. Not only are there no game systems to support Stoner Locks’ LARPing sessions, none of it even represents what Star Citizen is supposed to be.

But, with how hard CI has been pushing this poo poo, and no real gameplay even on the horizon, that seems to be where SC is headed. “Make your own fun in this empty procedural wasteland!”

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Feb 12, 2019

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

buy anthem in a year for $20 with all its (hopefully) massive improvements and expect nothing besides a sorta fun romp through the story

that game is completely hosed and starting this Friday you'll start seeing just how hosed it is

It's been in development for over seven years and was rebooted twice. The current incarnation gutted the single player, choice focused coop game (including a strange PvP system where the choices you made in the game made you friendly or hostile to other players) for a very, very badly handled looter shooter that bioware has absolutely no experience with

You can see this lack of experience with mostly everything in the game and while I want to remain optimistic, I loving played mass effect: andromeda

the game hasn't hit it's targeted 1.3m preorders and the 6m copies in 6 weeks is a loving bullet to the back of the studios head

even it's most stalwart defenders wont ask you to pay full price for this poo poo

Any idea whether or not these supposed reboots would be from Bioware not being able to settle on a workable concept or EA going "No, make this instead"?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

colonelwest posted:

That’s basically what EA does now, they want the next big live service but are too cheap and lazy to actually launch a complete game. BFV launched in the same state with about 50% of its content promised in “future updates”, none of which have happened yet. The battle royale mode isn’t even coming until some time in the spring.

i mean.... this is true but they somehow struck gold with Apex Legends, which is by Respawn so shouldnt be a surprise

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

colonelwest posted:

It’s hilarious that this hardcore space sim with a living/breathing universe of unprecedented fidelity is being turned into someone’s lovely attempt to mod Planetside gameplay into Crysis, but with realistic ice cubes in your space whiskey. Not only are there no game systems to support Stoner Locks’ LARPing sessions, none of it even represents what Star Citizen is supposed to be.

But, with how hard CI has been pushing this poo poo, and no real gameplay even on the horizon, that seems to be where SC is headed. “Make your own fun in this empty procedural wasteland!”

My understanding is that the original pitch and "vision" (a term used at maximum looseness whenever Chris Roberts is involved) was supposed to be this:

- Star Citizen, which was a multiplayer Freelancer but brought up to date
- Star Marine, which was Wing Commander but brought up to date

Now look at the complete pile of complete and utter poo poo they've built. Look at it. Not only does it not resemble what it was originally supposed to be, it doesn't even resemble anything sane. This isn't a case of "it evolved over time" - it's a case of it devolving into raw liquid poo poo the moment Chris laid his hands on it. It's not even salvageable - not even as the Space 3D ColorForms Playset current streamers are treating it as.

Star Citizen is basically a pile of horse poo poo on the side of the road in Amish country, and the streamers are the flies hovering around it. Within that contained ecosystem, everything is great. From any other vantage point, things do not seem so well.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

G0RF posted:

]
Well guess what? That guy and that write up and this “documentary” are all just pieces of one great big marketing push funded by CIG and started last year, thanks to a billionaire’s recent investment. It’s as sleazy and dishonest as any big publisher tactic you’ve ever expressed disgust about. It’s a knife in the back to streamers who’ve given thousands of hours AND dollars to this game over the last 5 years. And it’s all the proof you’d ever need that whatever you thought was special and pure about the Star Citizen way of doing things is long dead. They’re changing the narrative around the game alright...

Welcome to the EA Way, we hope you enjoy your stay.

Rexzilla vids were first posted early December, the Business Insider article featuring him appeared 27th December, that article also credits Nehkara for one of the SC images. None of that text appears on any other sites or gaming sites (apart from a couple of generic 'trending articles' sites which have about 14 views)

He's bought and paid for.

Long may he reign!

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

alf_pogs posted:

i mean.... this is true but they somehow struck gold with Apex Legends, which is by Respawn so shouldnt be a surprise

My son has just had me download it for him.

He asked me to play it with him. I said no, i won't touch anything by EA these days.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Agony Aunt posted:

He asked me to play it with him. I said no, i won't touch anything by EA these days.

go and play with your son

RandomGuy12
Jan 20, 2019

Gort posted:

go and play with your son

this

Twyst
Mar 5, 2005
:O

Agony Aunt posted:

Source your quotes.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Agony Aunt posted:

You are seriously missing out. It's a fantastic game and you can get the two locked characters without spending a dime.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

iospace posted:

Was that at this year's 12hr race? :allears:

For those of you who don't know, that's in Australia, so a giant dick in the sand trap is entirely on brand :v:

It was at the 2015 12 hour.
Last one for me was 2017.
It was getting too hot, too popular/crowded, and all of the wankers from the Bathurst 1000 discovered it.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Regrettable posted:

You are seriously missing out. It's a fantastic game and you can get the two locked characters without spending a dime.

Oh... that's interesting. If i can play the full game without paying a penny, while spending EAs resources (server costs), i could be interested.

EDIT: just read about it. Sounds like you can get the first one with a bit of effort, but the second one will be a major grind.

Hmmm....

Agony Aunt fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Feb 12, 2019

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Lol, saw that number plate and Bob Marley's 'Jammin' popped into my brain box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFRbZJXjWIA

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Agony Aunt posted:

Oh... that's interesting. If i can play the full game without paying a penny, while spending EAs resources (server costs), i could be interested.

EDIT: just read about it. Sounds like you can get the first one with a bit of effort, but the second one will be a major grind.

Hmmm....

i havent dropped a cent and its terrific. it'll hook you if ya let it

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Twyst posted:

Source your quotes.

IcarusUpHigh
Dec 20, 2016

Rugganovich posted:

Lol, saw that number plate and Bob Marley's 'Jammin' popped into my brain box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFRbZJXjWIA

We scammin'
I wanna scam with you
We scammin'
I hope you like scammin' too
Ain't no rules ain't no vows we could do it anyhow
Skadden, I will see you through
Cause every we day we raise the price, with a livin' sacrifice
Scammin' til the scam is through

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Amazing Zimmo posted:

50 shades of poo poo

"poo poo Sandwich".

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Agony Aunt posted:

Dude, your kid wont give a poo poo in 30 years if you once held a grudge against EA or not, but they might appreciate the memories of enjoying time with their parent.

Spend time with your kid, dummy.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

Vertisce is an idiot, hth

But his professional experience?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

IcarusUpHigh posted:

We scammin'
I wanna scam with you
We scammin'
I hope you like scammin' too
Ain't no rules ain't no vows we could do it anyhow
Skadden, I will see you through
Cause every we day we raise the price, with a livin' sacrifice
Scammin' til the scam is through

You don’t even need to change the lyrics for ‘easy skankin’.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

TheAgent posted:

Anthem is the lowest pre ordered bioware title ever btw (on consoles)

This is 100% true btw.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sarsapariller posted:

He seems unable to separate his emotions from his legal arguments. "I don't like it" becomes "It's illegal" with no regard for the actual, you know, law on the subject.

I still don’t get how he gets professional experience from Judge Judy. Actually, scratch that, she’s a consummate artist at talking to people who can’t distinguish ‘illegal’ from ‘I don’t like that’.

See, apparently according to Vermink, i’ve committed fraud, and am apparently still roaming free, despite all parties involved having my mailing address and real life details. I understand the wheels of justice turn slowly, so the shotgun is propped up by the door.

I pre-ordered Fallout ‘76. Played the beta and hated it, and asked for a refund. Was refused. It’s Bethesda policy to not refund people who’ve received codes, I was told. Sat on it for a couple of weeks and thought ‘gently caress it’, i’ll hit up Paypal.

I’ve never had much luck with Paypal; i tried to get a refund on a t-shirt that i bought that was entirely different once delivered. ‘Will you take half of the money’, they ask. ‘No’, i said. ‘gently caress you’, they replied. The other guy has your money and thats it.

So i go pure hail mary; hit up the resolution center, complain that the game is buggy, unfinished and not as advertized and forget about it.

Couple more weeks pass and i check my email. gently caress me. Paypal contacted digital river, the payment processor for Bethesda, and didn’t get a reply within the time they alloted, so Paypal refunded everything. $80, straight back as paypal credit.

Every time that Vermillion posts I consider getting onto refunding my account, because he’s pissing me off slightly more than the concept of watching this thing crater. But i really want to watch this crater.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

SomethingJones posted:

Rexzilla vids were first posted early December, the Business Insider article featuring him appeared 27th December, that article also credits Nehkara for one of the SC images. None of that text appears on any other sites or gaming sites (apart from a couple of generic 'trending articles' sites which have about 14 views)

He's bought and paid for.

And exclusively marketing SQ42....

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Well that's the weird thing

1. Showing off SC as is is clearly stupid to try and sell it, the game is broken.
2. The money was for S42 so why is SC getting the the focus.

The answer is probably because that's all they've got.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT
It's pretty funny that they keep switching their priorities between SC and SQ42. "PU is the focus!" "No, SQ42 is", "No, SC is where the money comes from, people don't care about the single player game" "No, we're running out of money, we need to release SQ42 asap now".. etc..

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Hav posted:

I still don’t get how he gets professional experience from Judge Judy. Actually, scratch that, she’s a consummate artist at talking to people who can’t distinguish ‘illegal’ from ‘I don’t like that’.

See, apparently according to Vermink, i’ve committed fraud, and am apparently still roaming free, despite all parties involved having my mailing address and real life details. I understand the wheels of justice turn slowly, so the shotgun is propped up by the door.

I pre-ordered Fallout ‘76. Played the beta and hated it, and asked for a refund. Was refused. It’s Bethesda policy to not refund people who’ve received codes, I was told. Sat on it for a couple of weeks and thought ‘gently caress it’, i’ll hit up Paypal.

I’ve never had much luck with Paypal; i tried to get a refund on a t-shirt that i bought that was entirely different once delivered. ‘Will you take half of the money’, they ask. ‘No’, i said. ‘gently caress you’, they replied. The other guy has your money and thats it.

So i go pure hail mary; hit up the resolution center, complain that the game is buggy, unfinished and not as advertized and forget about it.

Couple more weeks pass and i check my email. gently caress me. Paypal contacted digital river, the payment processor for Bethesda, and didn’t get a reply within the time they alloted, so Paypal refunded everything. $80, straight back as paypal credit.

Every time that Vermillion posts I consider getting onto refunding my account, because he’s pissing me off slightly more than the concept of watching this thing crater. But i really want to watch this crater.

You can watch it crater without them having any of your money guy, it's actually probably the best way to do it

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Nyast posted:

It's pretty funny that they keep switching their priorities between SC and SQ42. "PU is the focus!" "No, SQ42 is", "No, SC is where the money comes from, people don't care about the single player game" "No, we're running out of money, we need to release SQ42 asap now".. etc..

I've always gotten the impression that they switch focus based primarily on hitting walls and failing. "poo poo, we still can't get this working, let's try something else." Each time they hit a giant wall of their own inept creation, they switch to a new thing. I believe this is what drives some of their wildly unpredictable out-of-the-blue ship sales, tanks, land claims, news vans, "mining," etc. Each time they can't do something, they come up with a new thing they can't do. That way they're always moving forward.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
RIP blizzard today

lots of people have jumped ship, but massive layoffs will hit after the earnings call

maybe CIG can pick up a few lol

Citcon
Aug 31, 2018

by R. Guyovich

TheAgent posted:

RIP blizzard today

lots of people have jumped ship, but massive layoffs will hit after the earnings call

maybe CIG can pick up a few lol

gently caress em' many of the devs explicitly earned their layoff. The company as a whole certainly has earned it.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

gently caress me factorio has 281 friday fact blogs... Now i only skim read #281 (its a bit of a tomb) but dam he goes into a lot of detail, its educational in its own right. you can tell its all legit with lines like ''now look at these graphs'

Mean while at the open development wavey hands club, they are still working on foip improvements V3... what even is that ? i thought you only released top tier poo poo ? i lose faith in the human race that any one thinks this is good.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
Someone do the needful

Is it ethical to 'shop a 'shop?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

DigitalPenny posted:

gently caress me factorio has 281 friday fact blogs... Now i only skim read #281 (its a bit of a tomb) but dam he goes into a lot of detail, its educational in its own right. you can tell its all legit with lines like ''now look at these graphs'

Mean while at the open development wavey hands club, they are still working on foip improvements V3... what even is that ? i thought you only released top tier poo poo ? i lose faith in the human race that any one thinks this is good.

Incredible game, and the Friday blogs are great. Geee....an actual article to read that is packed full of information instead of some stupid flashy video funded by subscriptions. It really isn't transparent development compared to the greatness of SC.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nyast posted:

follow the lady, see where she goes, where will she stop, nobody knows.

his nibs posted:

Someone do the needful

Is it ethical to 'shop a 'shop?

I might need to locate those images of Johnson and Gove, for reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

History Comes Inside! posted:

You can watch it crater without them having any of your money guy, it's actually probably the best way to do it

Seriously, at this point it's just a test of willpower, like holding your hand over a candle flame. Sure, you're gonna gently caress up your hand, but it looks really sweet.

Do not take life advice from me.

TheAgent posted:

RIP blizzard today

Everyone running at the same idea is loving stupid. I am the red-faced person in meetings trying to tell people they need to go for the thing after the next big thing. Don't just duplicate and reskin, you're always going to be in second place.

If you want to see another massive shill's opinion;
https://www.thestreet.com/video/what-jim-cramer-is-watching-when-activision-blizzard-reports-earnings-14861764
6:51, but take frequent vomit breaks to avoid the brain worms.