Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Stringent posted:

Asakusabashi is good, it's pretty easy walking distance to Akihabara and Kanda.

There are also some really nice stationary and pen stores, and also some nice little coffee shops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

It took a while and a good bit of convincing to get the fact that it is not a thing through his head. He is now trying to reconcile the fact that rates are per-head and not per-room.

I'm glad you were able to convince him. Your posts have given me new insight to the complaints about room size I've seen.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Outside of Tokyo, you'll have more options for ryokans where you freely arrange futons in a wide tatami room.

...If your dad is like my dad, he'll soon regret it and wish for a bed because beds are easier for stiff, fat and stubborn people.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

We are apparently going to Hakone after Tokyo so that is now a thing. Since that's Dad's personal leg of the trip I let him figure out lodging and he ended up choosing Yutorelo-an. And of course, he chose the traditional room. Baller. gonna get me a box with yosegi

For my part, I'll be at dormy Ueno-Okachimachi for a few nights.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

So I'm in the very beginning stages of planning a trip to visit my sister in Japan. I won't need to worry about lodgings, since she lives there, but I was wondering what things you guys might recommend for me to do. I'm thinking it'll be mid-may, and I know there'll be probably 2-3 days of just visiting and seeing what her life is like now, but I don't want to get on a 10 hour flight just to go for 3 days when I've never been to Japan before. She lives in Yokosuka, and that looks like it's close enough to Tokyo that there should be a lot of poo poo I can do? Her husband is in the navy, but they don't live on base, if that matters.

The teamlab borderless exhibit looks sweet as hell, and the ghibli museum would be cool, and that nighttime spooktacular in the shrine looked really fun, but I really don't want to be a loving goon when I visit. Definitely don't want to go to anything nerd related because that's my hobby here, if I'm going to another country I want to see some new poo poo.

The biggest limitation I can think of is I'm super boring and don't drink outside of the rare scotch with a good friend I haven't seen in awhile, so getting daydrunk and wandering around a city isn't really on my radar, but just the wandering part definitely is.

if you like to eat you can just wander around and eat. this is literally all I do when i go to japan and it's awesome every time. I hop into the random museum but it's basically just eating. Last time I was in Japan and friend and I went to a town big on apple pie and just walked around eating a dozen apple pies.

Also why not go to nerd poo poo? If you're a nerd just embrace it cuz I guarantee Tokyo will have some cool stuff you wouldn't see elsewhere.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
if you're not gonna go and do things you're interested in why go?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

Musashikoyama has good izakayas and a couple good restaurants, a few good and fun bars, the longest shopping arcade in japan (maybe this is bullshit but it's what everybody always says), cheap karaoke and just generally a good atmosphere. Also near Megurofudo which is a good temple, Meguro and the river are a 20 minute walk away and Meguro station and the yamanote are 5 minutes by subway. It also has a good park.

I thought they blew up all the izakayas and the drinking street making the gently caress-off big 40 story tower building right next to the station? It would be a halfway decent place to get like a 1LDK AirBnB for anyone who wanted to stay locally instead of in one of the big international chain hotels.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

So I'm in the very beginning stages of planning a trip to visit my sister in Japan. I won't need to worry about lodgings, since she lives there, but I was wondering what things you guys might recommend for me to do. I'm thinking it'll be mid-may, and I know there'll be probably 2-3 days of just visiting and seeing what her life is like now, but I don't want to get on a 10 hour flight just to go for 3 days when I've never been to Japan before. She lives in Yokosuka, and that looks like it's close enough to Tokyo that there should be a lot of poo poo I can do? Her husband is in the navy, but they don't live on base, if that matters.

The teamlab borderless exhibit looks sweet as hell, and the ghibli museum would be cool, and that nighttime spooktacular in the shrine looked really fun, but I really don't want to be a loving goon when I visit. Definitely don't want to go to anything nerd related because that's my hobby here, if I'm going to another country I want to see some new poo poo.

The biggest limitation I can think of is I'm super boring and don't drink outside of the rare scotch with a good friend I haven't seen in awhile, so getting daydrunk and wandering around a city isn't really on my radar, but just the wandering part definitely is.

Mid-May the weather should be perfect. What are you interested in? There's almost a neighborhood or area that caters to every interest, some are more well-known than others (video games and anime in Akihabara for example). Yokosuka is ~60 minutes from the center via a few different train lines, get your sister's recommendation on what trains to use and base your travel on that. For only a couple days, definitely just get an IC card when you arrive and drop like $50 on it and you'll be more than set.

And why be worried about doing nerdy stuff in Japan? That's kind of what the country caters to. One of the major parts of Japanese culture is finding an interest and completely drowning in it, whether that's video games or golf or photography or something traditional. If there's parts of your hobbies that are from or applicable to Japan, then don't feel bad about it or about being a stereotype -- plus, there'll be major differences to it in Japan vs. back home.

If your sister can try to get tickets for Ghibli that'd be easiest, because they sell out fast every month.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Magna Kaser posted:

if you like to eat you can just wander around and eat. this is literally all I do when i go to japan and it's awesome every time. I hop into the random museum but it's basically just eating. Last time I was in Japan and friend and I went to a town big on apple pie and just walked around eating a dozen apple pies.

Also why not go to nerd poo poo? If you're a nerd just embrace it cuz I guarantee Tokyo will have some cool stuff you wouldn't see elsewhere.

I think it comes down to wanting to see new things instead of old and comfortable, and also not wanting to be that goon that goes to japan just to go to Akihabara and that's it. After considering it, though, taking a day to just go see akihabara would be cool. At the very least it'd be a chance at checking out the Eorzea cafe. I just want to make sure that's not all I'm doing.

Food is a huge thing for me, I, so I already know I want to go to Pablo and maybe track down that jiggly cheesecake I've seen so I know what it's supposed to taste like. I like museums and wandering around looking at art, too, and I know whenever I go to San Francisco for the day I always try to make a stop at the tea gardens just to walk around and chill for a bit. I know I want to visit at least one shrine.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

harperdc posted:

I thought they blew up all the izakayas and the drinking street making the gently caress-off big 40 story tower building right next to the station? It would be a halfway decent place to get like a 1LDK AirBnB for anyone who wanted to stay locally instead of in one of the big international chain hotels.

Yeah that building sucks and took at a lot of what made the place fun, but most of the izakayas simply moved to other places nearby.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

lol don't worry there will be plenty of shrines and temples

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Imo Akihabara is kinda lame. Eorzea Cafe rules though.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
I just passed through Sangenjaya Station a lol at some poor tourists trying to board this fucker with luggage.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
From about 8-9:30 or so going in-city it’s bad, but also largely the same as Yamanote etc in the same period around major stations. Reality is if you’re going to a hub station during rush hour anywhere you’re gonna have a swell time.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
That's true, there's never ppl with luggage and stuff at peak times in major shinkansen hubs like Ueno or Shinagawa.

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?
Wish there were Hubs in the stations.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

suitcase delivery is the best

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
There's Berg at Shinjuku higashiguchi: https://foursquare.com/v/berg/4b267bacf964a520297c24e3

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Stringent posted:

That's true, there's never ppl with luggage and stuff at peak times in major shinkansen hubs like Ueno or Shinagawa.

So your stance seems to be that it’s no big deal to ride the Yamanote at Shinagawa during peak hours then?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I'd rather ride the Yamanote to Shinagawa than ride it to Shibuya and transfer to the Denentoshi, yes.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
According to trustworthy blog realestatejapan.co.jp the stretch between Sangenjaya and Shibuya is the sixth most crowded in the greater Tokyo area.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Any hope of am English only speaker recovering a camera lost in Hakodate Airport, Haneda Airport, or one of the planes I flew out of those places on?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

captkirk posted:

Any hope of am English only speaker recovering a camera lost in Hakodate Airport, Haneda Airport, or one of the planes I flew out of those places on?

tbh I’d just recommend not losing a camera to begin with

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

The Great Autismo! posted:

tbh I’d just recommend not losing a camera to begin with

That's what I do on all my domestic trips. I figured I'd do something different to mix things up a bit!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

captkirk posted:

Maybe, was your name or any kind of identifier on it? Have you tried calling the airports? They'll almost certainly have some English speaking staff.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Agreed, it's worth asking. Keep your message simple and clear, with as much identifying info as possible. Camera: Model, color, strap, decorations, contents of recent photos. Location: date, flight number, terminals, any restaurants or shops you visited.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I remember hearing a while back that Shibuya 109 Mens was gonna get major rebranding. Has anyone been in there lately, and has the style of clothes changed much in the past few years? I'm in my early 30s so I'm a bit too old to get away with most of the clothing in there, but there was a couple of cool things that I could still pull off last time I went and I'm hoping that the clothing isn't skewing even younger than before.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
If you had six days to experience Tokyo/Kyoto/Osaka not counting the day we arrive and the day we fly out, how would you structure it? We fly in and fly out of Haneda, so we have to be back in Tokyo the morning we leave.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

As much as I like Osaka I would just skip it in that limited a window. Six days in Tokyo/Kyoto is already going to be extremely tight. If you feel 100% confident you're going to go back to Japan I wouldn't even go to Kyoto and would just stay in Tokyo for a trip under a week.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

yeah 6 days is some One City Territory. trying to cram more than that in is just asking for a bad time.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I'm thinking about getting some good instant ramen to bring home when I travel to Tokyo in a couple of weeks. Since I'm only familiar with the Marutai brand ramen packs, would you guys have any other 'premium' brand recommendations? Thanks!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

I remember hearing a while back that Shibuya 109 Mens was gonna get major rebranding. Has anyone been in there lately, and has the style of clothes changed much in the past few years? I'm in my early 30s so I'm a bit too old to get away with most of the clothing in there, but there was a couple of cool things that I could still pull off last time I went and I'm hoping that the clothing isn't skewing even younger than before.

It did get rebranded, I can’t really compare before/after but if you’re coming through, it might be 20 minutes to walk through and see? Based on the couple times I’ve been to 109 proper it always seemed like the target was young (high school and college) and the prices and quality reflect that, so as a 30+ white dude that can’t really fit into much fashionable anywhere I’m hardly the target market. But stopping by Shibuya, going over to Cat Street and then Omotesando for the higher-end stuff, there should be something for everyone.

Also the sneaker shops in Harajuku still absolutely own, even if Atmos is trying to take over everyone.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Nanigans posted:

If you had six days to experience Tokyo/Kyoto/Osaka not counting the day we arrive and the day we fly out, how would you structure it? We fly in and fly out of Haneda, so we have to be back in Tokyo the morning we leave.

Definitely cut Osaka, but I think you can still do plenty. Heck, maybe I am just a monster, but I have done multicity international trips for only 4 or 5 days.

Day 0 Arrive Haneda. Depending on the time, maybe shinkansen directly to Kyoto!!
Day 1 AM Shinkansen to Kyoto. PM Kyoto
Day 2 Kyoto
Day 3 Daytrip to Nara
Day 4 AM Shinkansen to Tokyo. PM Tokyo.
Day 5 Tokyo (Day trip? and/or SPORTS EVENT)
Day 6 Tokyo
Day 7 Depart Haneda

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

harperdc posted:

It did get rebranded, I can’t really compare before/after but if you’re coming through, it might be 20 minutes to walk through and see? Based on the couple times I’ve been to 109 proper it always seemed like the target was young (high school and college) and the prices and quality reflect that, so as a 30+ white dude that can’t really fit into much fashionable anywhere I’m hardly the target market. But stopping by Shibuya, going over to Cat Street and then Omotesando for the higher-end stuff, there should be something for everyone.

Also the sneaker shops in Harajuku still absolutely own, even if Atmos is trying to take over everyone.
Cheers for this! I'll need to check out Cat Street. Mostly looking for anything mildly punky/grungey that I can get away with at my age! :(

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
Punky/grungey sounds more like Shimokitazawa than Harajuku. Fortunately, they're pretty close, since you can take the Chiyoda Line straight there.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

leather fedora posted:

Punky/grungey sounds more like Shimokitazawa than Harajuku. Fortunately, they're pretty close, since you can take the Chiyoda Line straight there.
Thanks! Pretty sure there's a night where my friends want to go drinking in Shimokitazawa (I guess there's some nice bars there?) so I can do a bit of shopping beforehand.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Been in Kyoto a few days and it's lovely - much less loud than Tokyo but still feels a full living city with some great soba - but I have a question

Does Japan just really really love curling? It's on all the time.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

peanut posted:

Definitely cut Osaka, but I think you can still do plenty. Heck, maybe I am just a monster, but I have done multicity international trips for only 4 or 5 days.

Day 0 Arrive Haneda. Depending on the time, maybe shinkansen directly to Kyoto!!
Day 1 AM Shinkansen to Kyoto. PM Kyoto
Day 2 Kyoto
Day 3 Daytrip to Nara
Day 4 AM Shinkansen to Tokyo. PM Tokyo.
Day 5 Tokyo (Day trip? and/or SPORTS EVENT)
Day 6 Tokyo
Day 7 Depart Haneda

That could work and it was similar to my original plan. But it’s also a lot of 3 hour trips on the shinkansen that could eat into sightseeing/loving around. Also isn’t luggage on the shinkansen a nightmare?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Nah it's not that bad, really. Take advantage of jetlag and wake up really loving early!

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Nanigans posted:

That could work and it was similar to my original plan. But it’s also a lot of 3 hour trips on the shinkansen that could eat into sightseeing/loving around. Also isn’t luggage on the shinkansen a nightmare?

They have an overhead shelf along the entire length of the car to put your luggage. As long as you don't have like 3+ bags per person it's no problem at all.

Also riding on the shinkansen counts as sightseeing in itself, you go through lots of neat countryside and towns that you would otherwise never see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Lid posted:

Been in Kyoto a few days and it's lovely - much less loud than Tokyo but still feels a full living city with some great soba - but I have a question

Does Japan just really really love curling? It's on all the time.

Apparently.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/curling/curling-japan-1.4056708