Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

This idea of giving up on MoS after the Krypton intro, which to me is just mind boggling since that poo poo was all cool and interesting, had me go and rewatch the AoU intro, that fight in the woods.

It's all weightless, stakeless, contextless, and ultimately pointless.

But I guess starting off your comic book movie having the titular comic book team doing "cool poo poo" is probably a more accessible intro to a movie because you can just "turn your brain off". Or something.

Edit: Oh, poo poo, new page. Here, let's look at this shot in AoU's intro, for which the whole entire intro sequence was obviously crafted in order to create:

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Feb 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
That shot rules, but I can't wait to hear everyone poo poo on it

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
That picture is not doing the movie justice, it looks even worse in motion!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Are you the guy who insisted that Jim Lee's art looks great?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They had space travel, and abandoned and suppressed it. The movie explains this.

It doesn't though. There's spaceships all around krypton when they send Zod off, and Zod specifically calls out the Kryptonian colonies dying because Krypton was no longer there for them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

NTRabbit posted:

It doesn't though. There's spaceships all around krypton when they send Zod off, and Zod specifically calls out the Kryptonian colonies dying because Krypton was no longer there for them.

There's a difference between spaceships and aircraft.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
There's also another difference between having a space station that holds prisoners in either suspended animation or another dimension (all the superman stories are sort of vague on this), and having a space ship that can fly to other solar systems

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

ungulateman posted:

There's also another difference between having a space station that holds prisoners in either suspended animation or another dimension (all the superman stories are sort of vague on this), and having a space ship that can fly to other solar systems

If that was the angle they were going for they probably should have made an effort at pointing it out then, because it sure looked like they had lots of spaceships to me

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I mean, the only two Kryptonian spaceships we see in the film are huge. I would've thought it was evident the smaller ships were just their airplanes equivalents.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

there's also the difference between craft that are designed to still be within the gravitational field of the planet, and those designed for interstellar travel. The penis capsules are launched into low-Krypton orbit, where they are intercepted by the Phantom Zone ship, which is basically just a glorified space station. It's actually a pretty great parallel to what our space program has become, we used to send people to the moon on a regular basis, now NASA doesn't even have its own dedicated craft for sending astronauts to the ISS

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Black Widow and Hawkeye taking the unique tactic of entering a fight by shattering their legs.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fart City posted:

Black Widow and Hawkeye taking the unique tactic of entering a fight by shattering their legs.

"I'm bleeding, making me the victor!"

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Iron Man being almost super-imposed over Cap's bike makes for pretty evocative imagery tbf

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Guy A. Person posted:

Iron Man being almost super-imposed over Cap's bike makes for pretty evocative imagery tbf

As I said, it's even worse/better in motion:

Also a fan of Thor's invisible bicycle.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Aces High posted:

there's also the difference between craft that are designed to still be within the gravitational field of the planet, and those designed for interstellar travel. The penis capsules are launched into low-Krypton orbit, where they are intercepted by the Phantom Zone ship, which is basically just a glorified space station. It's actually a pretty great parallel to what our space program has become, we used to send people to the moon on a regular basis, now NASA doesn't even have its own dedicated craft for sending astronauts to the ISS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKUGE4IoZEo

Nothing about the craft in that battle remotely says "atmospheric only", they look like scifi space ships fighting within an atmosphere

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

NTRabbit posted:

Nothing about the craft in that battle remotely says "atmospheric only", they look like scifi space ships fighting within an atmosphere

Well looks like we have an expert in space aviation among us

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Well looks like we have an expert in space aviation among us

No, just someone who has played and watched a bunch of spaceship games and movies. Those are scifi spaceships with a passing resemblance to the Gallente stuff from Eve Online.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

NTRabbit posted:

No, just someone who has played and watched a bunch of spaceship games and movies. Those are scifi spaceships with a passing resemblance to the Gallente stuff from Eve Online.

How is that relevant?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

How is that relevant?

Them clearly being spaceships to just about any observer who has seen a scifi product before is pretty important to the point being debated, which is that the movie is pretty confusing when it tries to explain why the Kryptonians don't just get on their spaceships and leave.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Feb 12, 2019

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

This idea of giving up on MoS after the Krypton intro, which to me is just mind boggling since that poo poo was all cool and interesting, had me go and rewatch the AoU intro, that fight in the woods.

It's all weightless, stakeless, contextless, and ultimately pointless.

But I guess starting off your comic book movie having the titular comic book team doing "cool poo poo" is probably a more accessible intro to a movie because you can just "turn your brain off". Or something.

Edit: Oh, poo poo, new page. Here, let's look at this shot in AoU's intro, for which the whole entire intro sequence was obviously crafted in order to create:

This shot is also literally taken from the comic book. Joss Whedon just wanted to shove it in there because he thought it looked cool, but to be fair (even though I dont like being fair to Wheddon because he is a hack) all of the MCU movies do this quite a bit.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

To clarify, they are spaceships in the same sense that the space shuttle is a spaceship. What they lack, as explained in Jor El's talk about the fall of Krypton to Clark, is the ability to travel between the stars. That's a technology that has fallen to the wayside for cultural/political reasons. Kal El's little ship that Jor El made is a one-off, similar to how Zod and his crew retrofitted the phantom drive in the Kryptonian prison ship.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

Them clearly being spaceships to just about any observer who has seen a scifi product before is pretty important to the point being debated, which is that the movie is pretty confusing when it tries to explain why the Kryptonians don't just get on their spaceships and leave.

Different between a ship and an Interstellar ship.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's a difference between spaceships and aircraft.

This reminds me of all the discussion/argument about why in Alien and the Prometheus both ships have a helicopter in their hold among other vehicles.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

NTRabbit posted:

I'm intrigued by this idea that science fiction, a genre driven by new ideas and novelty, must always follow the same rules even in another medium and by another author.

So if spaceships can travel are suitable for interstellar colonization in a video game, all spaceship in a completely unrelated movie should also be.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Behind on the discussion but I wanted throw in my opinion that the Krypton stuff at the beginning of MoS is some of the best in the whole movie. Also, don't waste your time recommending movies to people who watch ten minutes and then quit without giving it a fair shake, we all have friends like that but I stopped putting effort into recommending poo poo to them years ago.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Sir Kodiak posted:

To clarify, they are spaceships in the same sense that the space shuttle is a spaceship. What they lack, as explained in Jor El's talk about the fall of Krypton to Clark, is the ability to travel between the stars. That's a technology that has fallen to the wayside for cultural/political reasons. Kal El's little ship that Jor El made is a one-off, similar to how Zod and his crew retrofitted the phantom drive in the Kryptonian prison ship.

When did that happen? I got bored after an hour or so and zoned out waiting for something fun or interesting to happen, don't really remember much of the dialogue across the middle.

Basebf555 posted:

Behind on the discussion but I wanted throw in my opinion that the Krypton stuff at the beginning of MoS is some of the best in the whole movie.

I mean it looked cool at least, I can just see where someone might be confused about why they just don't leave on all their spaceships.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 12, 2019

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Neil Armstrong first walked on the moon in 1969, and nearly fifty years later we still haven’t established a livable colony on the lunar surface. Just because advancements are made, doesn’t mean they are prioritized. For all we know those Kryptonian ships are based on thirty-year old designs and aren’t capable of interstellar travel.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Jor El explained why Kryptonians stopped traveling when Clark was in the ship. Zod explained retrofitting the Phantom Zone generator to make an interstellar ship when he invited Clark above.

I also agree that I no longer even talk about films, much less watch, with people who refuse to actually engage them.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

NTRabbit posted:

When did that happen? I got bored after an hour or so and zoned out waiting for something fun or interesting to happen, don't really remember much of the dialogue across the middle.

I can't believe we've moved onto appeals to personal ignorance.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Darko posted:

Jor El explained why Kryptonians stopped traveling when Clark was in the ship. Zod explained retrofitting the Phantom Zone generator to make an interstellar ship when he invited Clark above.

I also agree that I no longer even talk about films, much less watch, with people who refuse to actually engage them.

I just assumed they didn't have enough of those space ships for everyone, and didn't have enough time to load them and the needed supplies onto the space ships, plus the council still refused to accept it was happening anyway.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

When did that happen? I got bored after an hour or so and zoned out waiting for something fun or interesting to happen.

When Clark and the reconstructed AI version of Jor El are talking on the scout ship. There's this whole diorama floating around them made of that shapeshifting metal stuff the Kryptonians use while Jor El's ghost gives a brief history of Krypton.

If the movie didn't draw you in you're obviously welcome to dislike it on that level. I'm not trying to tell you what reaction you should have to the movie. But if you openly didn't pay attention to chunks of it, zoning out as you say, then it's silly to pretend you absorbed enough of it to nitpick the plot. You can criticize the movie as having not inspired you to actually watch it, but then maybe don't also criticize it as if you'd watched it. Pick a lane.

NTRabbit posted:

I mean it looked cool at least, I can just see where someone might be confused about why they just don't leave on all their spaceships.

Yep. In my experience there is nothing where you can't find somebody who might be confused by it. Man of Steel is a relatively hard sci-fi movie that distinguishes between orbital spacecraft and interstellar spacecraft, between multiple different mechanisms for Kryptonians gaining superpowers on Earth, that's interested in the politics and human experience of first contact, etc. Some people will absolutely bounce off that, but it's part of what I love about the movie. Different strokes for different folks.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
It’s always great when someone tries to admit they didn’t pay attention to a movie to try and slight its inherent quality and just reveal they don’t actually know what they’re talking about instead.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

NTRabbit posted:

What happened with their society is explained at least twice, I dunno maybe three times. Not sure what is unclear about it.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Grendels Dad posted:

As I said, it's even worse/better in motion:

Also a fan of Thor's invisible bicycle.

This is cropped a little? Surely they didn't clip Hawkeye's hair out of the shot in the actual movie?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Not sure what is unclear about it.

I find it absolutely believable that the plot of Man of Steel is unclear if you don't watch large portions of it.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

And not for nothing but “why didn’t the Kryptonians escape Krypton” skews fairly close to “why didn’t Thomas Wayne carry a gun on him.”

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Pirate Jet posted:

It’s always great when someone tries to admit they didn’t pay attention to a movie to try and slight its inherent quality and just reveal they don’t actually know what they’re talking about instead.

After the fun opening the movie was too boring to keep my attention for more than a few moments here and there :shrug:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Can we just all agree that Bruce Wayne and Tony Stark both need to be put under the guillotine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

After the fun opening the movie was too boring to keep my attention for more than a few moments here and there :shrug:

Was this post supposed to do anything other than prove my point?