Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

PenguinSalsa posted:

Stupid question Yooper: If we get through the SAM screen, can we land and refuel/rearm in Bulgaria or is it too dangerous due to (plot)?

The Gripens would be more effective if we could use Arsenal's airfields to take advantage of their quick turnaround and it'd open up more possibilities to strike the invasion fleet if we decide to do so.

Once in Arsenal territory we may base assets at our leisure.

This is part of the "penalty" for rescuing EUNATO pilots first. Otherwise had we done tank busting first the corridor to Bulgaria would be mostly open. Of course there would've been a tradeoff if we'd left the pilots to fate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I've got to go with the power of Οχιclean on this

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

PenguinSalsa posted:

Stupid question Yooper: If we get through the SAM screen, can we land and refuel/rearm in Bulgaria or is it too dangerous due to (plot)?

The Gripens would be more effective if we could use Arsenal's airfields to take advantage of their quick turnaround and it'd open up more possibilities to strike the invasion fleet if we decide to do so.
(If it's at all possible and there's time we could send ground crews ahead on commercial flights. If CMANO allows they could even set up a temporary landing strip on a road or something.)

I mean, we do have a pair of actual transport aircraft that we basically never use so we can stuff whatever we need in them, fly them through the gap and then stick them into some provincial airport or half-decrepit MiG base while the rest of the package does the mission and then recovers to the same place once the groundcrews have swept up the FOD and shaken the rats out of the fuel system.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
I think we can bust the SAM screen, so I'm a No on the Greeks.

For mission planners: you'll want to use the Reaper to locate a site - you won't locate all the sites this way, but once you have one you can designate that the target. You won't get through the screen if you don't see the SPYDER site at the very least, so it's critical to pick your target after you find a SPYDER.

PenguinSalsa
Nov 10, 2009

FrangibleCover posted:

I mean, we do have a pair of actual transport aircraft that we basically never use so we can stuff whatever we need in them, fly them through the gap and then stick them into some provincial airport or half-decrepit MiG base while the rest of the package does the mission and then recovers to the same place once the groundcrews have swept up the FOD and shaken the rats out of the fuel system.

Definitely, that would be the fun way to do it. It depends on how much time we have though, it'll probably take a while to fly in the crew and prepare the base(s) and we might not have time for that if we only have an average 60-90 min video to do the entire mission.
In that case it'd be nice to have bases waiting for us. It's up to Yooper really but I like your idea. Another idea for the transport aircraft could be to to use them to fly in more munitions if we only have, say, one load of Meteors per Gripen unless we fly in more from Gjäder.

PenguinSalsa fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 30, 2019

ResidentRampant
Aug 31, 2012
So since it was brought up recently when we were talking about large, potentially dangerous powers that we have little info on.....what are the Turks doing right now? It may be worthwhile to let Bulgaria fall if the big bag (former) Ottoblob will pay us to roll in with them and...."Restore Democracy"! Or you know, just knowing where the heck they stand in this whole crisis works too.

As for the Greek situation.......I seem to remember an Aesop about an overconfident young man who flew to close to the sun, got burned and then crashed horrifically to the ground. So perhaps we should stay away from the Greeks for a bit.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

ResidentRampant posted:

So since it was brought up recently when we were talking about large, potentially dangerous powers that we have little info on.....what are the Turks doing right now? It may be worthwhile to let Bulgaria fall if the big bag (former) Ottoblob will pay us to roll in with them and...."Restore Democracy"! Or you know, just knowing where the heck they stand in this whole crisis works too.

As for the Greek situation.......I seem to remember an Aesop about an overconfident young man who flew to close to the sun, got burned and then crashed horrifically to the ground. So perhaps we should stay away from the Greeks for a bit.

The Turkish Government issued a blanket statement condemning the conflict, operations, etc. etc. They've got a ton of troubles in the east and internally. Now if the conflict spread, say someone mined the Dardanelles, they'd likely take more of an interest.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

We should absolutely mine the Dardanelles and pin it on our enemies.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Yooper posted:

The Turkish Government issued a blanket statement condemning the conflict, operations, etc. etc. They've got a ton of troubles in the east and internally. Now if the conflict spread, say someone mined the Dardanelles, they'd likely take more of an interest.

What if we spread some disinformation that ROMARM has brought in Fethullah Gülen to prepare for expansion into Anatolia?

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

glynnenstein posted:

We should absolutely mine the Dardanelles and pin it on our enemies.

It's almost a shame to buy all of these USN strike aircraft and then not mine the Dardanelles.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Top Level Planning

We're going to need to be able to operate freely in Bulgaria to be able to respond with enough speed to whatever ROMARM is doing- if we have to knock our way through continually shifting air defenses in Macedonia and Kosovo we're boned. That means we need to do
1. SEAD enough of the hostiles in Kosovo & Macedonia to allow our planes to get into Bulgarian airspace and Bulgarian airports; and
2. Rebase assets to Sofia airport, including taking both transport planes with PGMs and A2A missiles. I assume they'll have avgas for us there, and that the Bulgarians will have their own SAM assets to make sure we're not killed on the runway.

Once we're into Bulgarian airspace, we should be able to beat the poo poo out of any armored formations in the mountain passes- they won't have a ton of emplaced AA assets or radar AND we can probably collapse the passes so they're stuck on a highway for us to pick off at our leisure/give us time to deal with that amphibious end run.

Greek Question

Voting NO on the Greeks, I have no desire to be beholden to a non-paying customer, much less one who'll probably use us to try and seize air superiority over Cyprus or something.

Assets Available

Correct me where I'm wrong, but this is what we have, yeah?

Air Superiority
Gripen x 8
Bison x 7

Mud Movers
Tornado x 6
MiG-27K x 2
Kfir x2
Mirage x 1

Stealthy Mud Movers
F-117 x 3

EWA & Intelligence
Reaper x 2
Prowler x1
S100B

Support
KC-135 x1
VC10 x1
C-130 x1
CN-235-200 x1

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
The Mirage might be better classified as an ELINT/Recon asset. It can't carry that much air to mud ordinance, but its recon and esm packages make it unique from both a gameplay and storytelling perspective.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Pretty sure there should be some Intruders on that list too.

edit: 4 Intruders and 4 Akefs.

http://cmano-db.com/aircraft/2327/

http://cmano-db.com/aircraft/1771/

slothrop fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 31, 2019

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

slothrop posted:

Pretty sure there should be some Intruders on that list too.

edit: 4 Intruders and 4 Akefs.

http://cmano-db.com/aircraft/2327/

http://cmano-db.com/aircraft/1771/

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3815107#post470816891

2nd post should have it all. The graphic may not be spot on but the list below it is. (I think).

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

How many SDBs do we have? Can we start the day by glide-bombing all the previously known SAM positions? I doubt ROMARM are going to have the discipline to continually move their batteries.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

wiegieman posted:

How many SDBs do we have? Can we start the day by glide-bombing all the previously known SAM positions? I doubt ROMARM are going to have the discipline to continually move their batteries.

So at one time I said there was a NOCOMM / NO GPS area. After a lot of testing it's just a pain in the rear end. As I had it units would lose comms and go about the mission, then return. While interesting as a single player campaign, it can be frustrating on our end. That being said we'll do away with the NOCOMM but I'm working on a GPS jamming script to keep it interesting. That said SDB's are great, and you can use them at will, but eventually our opponents will get wise and try a new tactic. Ie, don't abuse it.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I see we have access to Bezmer Airbase, which is a joint US and Bulgarian military base in 2018. Is that still the case at the current time in Yooperverse?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

habeasdorkus posted:

I see we have access to Bezmer Airbase, which is a joint US and Bulgarian military base in 2018. Is that still the case at the current time in Yooperverse?

Yes. Any airbase, airfield, long field, is viable south of the Balkan mountains.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I was more asking if the Americans were still there. Would love to make ROMARM chase us there :getin:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

quote:

SECRET//NOFORN/NOCOMP
Preliminary Briefing: Operation Balkanize

Objective:
To repel the ROMARM advance towards Sofia, and ensure the survival of ARSENAL and the Bulgarian government.

Thesis:
We're going to need to be able to operate freely in Bulgaria to be able to respond with enough speed to whatever ROMARM is doing- if we have to knock our way through continually shifting air defenses in Macedonia and Kosovo we're boned. That means we need to:
1. SEAD enough of the hostile air-defense in Kosovo & Macedonia to allow our planes to get into Bulgarian airspace and Bulgarian airports;
2. Rebase assets to Sofia airport, including taking both transport planes with technicians, PGMs, and A2A missiles;
3. Hit the armored forces while they're still in the passes and blunt the ROMARM offensive towards Sophia; and
4. Use rebased forces to finish off the ROMARM armor and deal with forces in the east and Black Sea.

Available Assets

Air Superiority
Gripen x 8
Bison x 7
Akef x 4

Mud Movers
Tornado x 6
Intruder x 4
MiG-27K x 2
Kfir x 2

Stealthy Mud Movers
F-117 x 3

EWA & Intelligence
Reaper x 2
Prowler x 1
Mirage x 1
S100B x1

Tankers
KC-135 x 1
VC10 x 1

Cargo
C-130 x 1
CN-235-200 x 1

Phase One

Legend:
Green- CAP #1 Flight
Blue- EWA, AWACS, & Tankers
Black- Drones
Red- SEAD Flight
Yellow- Cargo & Shuttle Flight

Flights launch in the following order: Green, Blue, Black, Red, Yellow. Each flight proceeds to their corresponding rallying point (the circles), except for the drones, who are sent to hunt the SPYDER and fix other SAM & radar locations.

This phase ends when a safe corridor to Bulgarian airspace has been created.

Missions:
Green- Is to provide air cover for the support and transport units, is not to wander into range of enemy SAM batteries.
Blue- SIGINT from the Saab, jamming from the Prowler. The tankers shouldn't be needed yet.
Black- Find enemy air defense locations so that we can kill them. The black line is a rough "travel here to look for hostiles" path.
Red- Kill the SAMS and especially radars that our drones and other intelligence pick up. We need a clear path through to Bulgarian airspace, and without it this whole plan doesn't work.
Yellow- Aircraft not being used in this phase + the two cargo planes launch last, and then await the signal to proceed to phase two once we've got a clear route.

Phase Two

Legend:
Green- CAP #1 Flight
Purple- Ground Attack #1 Flight
Black- Drones
Red- SEAD Flight
Yellow- Cargo & Shuttle Flight

This phase begins after a safe corridor to Bulgarian airspace has been opened. It ends once we've halted the main advance and our planes are ready for Phase 3.

Missions:
Green - Proceed towards the front north of Sofia and establish air dominance. Watch out for mobile SAM units.
Purple - Launch from Gjadër as soon as SEAD has opened a path. Proceed to rally point just below Sofia, and then once a strike group has assembled move to engage the ROMARM forces in the passes. Extra credit for bottling them into the passes so that they can neither advance or retreat, leaving them for us to murder/take as spoils of war at our leisure.
Black - Provide target acquisition support for the strike craft, as well as being on the lookout for mobile radars and SAMs.
Blue- Move to the circle between Sofia and Plovdiv to provide support for CAP and ground strike, including fueling as necessary.
Yellow- Cargo craft are to land at Sofia Int'l and unload the techs and munitions ASAP. Shuttled planes are to be topped off and then prepped for launch in Phase 3 as CAP #2.
Red- Land at Sofia Int'l, top off the fuel, and re-arm with A2G/ASM munitions for Phase 3.

Phase Three

Legend:
Green- CAP #1 Flight
Purple- Ground Attack #1 Flight
Black- Drones
Red- Ground Attack #2 Flight
Orange - Cap #2 Flight

Phase 3 begins when Red and Orange flights are ready for takeoff. Takeoff order is Orange and then Red.

Missions:
Green- What planes remain with long range A2A missiles stay up and continue to fly CAP. Others return to Sophia Int'l.
Purple- Return to base when empty on PGM/out of hostile targets.
Blue- Shift east to provide continuing support to Ground Attack #2 and CAP #2.
Black- Watch for leakers.
Orange- Establish air dominance for Ground Attack #2 to engage forces on the black sea and near Varna.
Red- One element is to divert north if advance has not been halted to plug the hole. Remaining elements are to proceed to engage amphibious units and ROMARM forces attacking Varna.

Phase ends when everything is hopefully dead/surrendered and we have earned a massive payday.

End Preliminary Briefing
SECRET//NOFORN/NOCOMP

Initial concerns
1) Sofia International/Vrazhdebna Air Base appears to only have one runway. It may make sense to rebase our strike craft to Plovdiv. We also apparently have access to the joint US and Bulgarian airbase at Bezmer, which will be useful if we need more runways.
2) We might be asking too much of our SEAD to knock out all four of those SAM sites and the jammer at once so that the rest of our forces can get through to Bulgarian airspace. I'd appreciate if someone with the game could put up a circle for the rough area of engagement for those SAMs, we might be able to get away with leaving 1-2 of them intact and going through a narrower corridor.
3a) I'm very much a novice grog, and don't own the game, so I'm sure there's some massive tactical errors in my plan. Please feel free to point them out, and if there's simple fixes to them.
3b) That especially goes for the loadouts for planes, I know Meteors = Good for A2A and that SDB's = Good for Strike Missions, but I don't know what types of PGMs are better than others or whether my force disposition is even possible (e.g. if the initial CAP will be bingo fuel when we need them providing cover for the mountain pass strikes)
4) Because of 3a & 3b I haven't yet assigned planes to their different groups yet. That's mainly because I'm not sure how many/which airframes to use.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

habeasdorkus posted:

Initial concerns

:wave:

Its a good framework, and I'm a novice grog as well, so, :respek:

My thoughts at this time is, if the objective is to punch through the AD line and rebase in Bulgaria, is there really a need to take out all four SAM sites at the western border?

Why not minimize risk and just punch through one or two of them to achieve the corridor we need?

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Overextending ourselves trying to take out more SAM sites than necessary is a valid concern. We've seen what modern air defenses can do to our munitions. We really need to saturate a site to guarantee it's knocked out. Add to this potential complications with our GPS guided bombs (SDB's) and a SAM system that doesn't need radar to fire. It seems to me we'd be better off concentrating on as few sites as practical.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
how mobile are these sam launchers? we don't want to blast a corridor and then have them close it when we fly back

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

If we're rebased to Bulgaria, then we're going to be able to run ops to take out the SAMS before returning to Gjader.

As for the number of targets, that was something I was concerned about. It may make the most sense to kill the jammer and the two closest SAM sites, and leave the two in the south alone for now.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

I think the UK defense secretary has been reading this thread.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/defence-officials-baffled-by-armed-tractors-and-gavin-williamsons-other-bizarre-plans-svjpqtbqt

quote:

Gavin Williamson, the defence secretary, has mystified officials with a series of “bizarre” and outlandish ideas including fitting guns to tractors.

Mr Williamson is said to have proposed using Coca-Cola lorries to disguise missile defence systems , adding guns to tractors and converting old commercial ferries into beach assault craft.

“Yet Williamson is mucking about with his spider and coming up with crazy suggestions. The man is out of his mind. His behavior is totally bizarre and no one knows what to do.”.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
That is straight out of ac7.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Russia has already experimented with disguising ASMs and AAMs to freight containers and they think it's viable.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Triple A posted:

Russia has already experimented with disguising ASMs and AAMs to freight containers and they think it's viable.

Hell yeah

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Didn't we just eat a bunch of these 2 missions back?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

'No-Deal May' and Brexit is making all 'em folks a little wonky.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

New PMC! Does anyone have a link to the big tracking sheet?

Argus

Description
Argus is not a Private Military Company in the traditional sense, although they do operate with a French PMC license as a convenience. As the age of corporate warfare has hotted up there has been a huge increase in the number of pilots ejecting and most major PMCs and corporations, Hayard Gunnes being a notable exception, regard ejection as voluntary severance from the company. This leaves hundred of pilots per year landing all over the world with little hope of rescue, some heavily injured or far from civilisation. Argus was founded to rescue these pilots by the world’s major ejector seat manufacturers; Martin-Baker, United Technologies Corporation and Zvezda; as an investment in their future profits and as something of a publicity stunt. They are currently funded almost entirely by charitable donations through their corporate backers and through the Punch Out! music festival held yearly at Cazaux in France.

Argus’ name does not originally come from the Greek guardian with a hundred eyes, although the company has certainly adopted the imagery, but from the core of its operations, the hospital ship Argus. Originally a British RFA, Argus was purchased and refitted in 2021 as the reality of the new world order became clear and has done yeoman’s work rescuing pilots with its embarked air group of Merlins ever since. The seas are now more dangerous than they have been since the Second World War and Argus has already shot down a stray SS-N-2 Styx missile with her point defences and driven off an unidentified submarine with her Merlin HM.1. For missions in particularly high risk area Argus can also embark her Yak-141 air superiority fighter and a full Iron Dome battery on the aft landing area. Argus herself is but a part of Argus’ resources though, and Argus field hospitals and CSAR helicopters are a common sight in any conflict zone throughout the world.

Assets:
1x A 135 Argus (1998)
Low intensity CAG:
5x AW.101 Merlin Mk.611 CSAR
1x Merlin HM.1 (2009, DAS)
High intensity CAG:
1x EL/M-2084 MMR
3x Iron Dome launch units
1x Yak-141 (2015)
3x AW.101 Merlin Mk.611 CSAR
1x Merlin HM.1 (2009, DAS)

Assorted other Merlin Mk.611s, EC.145s, HC.130s and field hospitals.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
So it's the A-Team for mercenary airmen?

It seems like this should be fiction.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Kesper North posted:

So it's the A-Team for mercenary airmen?

It seems like this should be fiction.

Trust this man. I've gotten drunk with him before.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Triple A posted:

It's not just missile defence systems you need to worry about being hidden in trucks...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnbl9CZ9tOI

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Yvonmukluk posted:

It's not just missile defence systems you need to worry about being hidden in trucks...

You know, when I clicked on that link I was expecting Ace Combat 7, not Dahir Insaat.

...It never ceases to amuse me that Dahir is trying their level best to introduce Ace Combat superweapons into reality.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

To be fair, Dahir Insaat has prior art on that one by a number of years.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Yvonmukluk posted:

:hawaaaafap:

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

If you haven't seen them before the Dahir Insaat stuff is an amazing exercise in hilariously expensive stupidity. All of those Retsuprae videos are fantastic.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Dr. Snark posted:

If you haven't seen them before the Dahir Insaat stuff is an amazing exercise in hilariously expensive stupidity. All of those Retsuprae videos are fantastic.

Somehow I've managed to miss it all before so I'm experiencing this batshit awesome insanity for the very first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

I hadn't seen half of them, so I finished the play list, and uh... why is there a drone on a leash delivering a giant pizza?

And how do we weaponise it?