Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I have found what happened to the Jimny that was pulled from the auction, then went back to the auction and I missed with those sweet teal graphics and roof rack. It ended up here: https://auc.japancardirect.com/on-K9R8hjpXRmoUe.htm

For reference the completed listing: https://auc.japancardirect.com/st-3jXczMmXnbuwP.htm

Sold for 183000 and listed now for 280000. I am wondering if I make a play for it. :thunk:

yeah it had failed at auction a few times by not meeting reserve. It was also on the south island so it took more $ to get it to port. My boss was like "Still a cheap buy" as he is a LC guy. The front winch bumper was not his first choice. He will evaluate when it gets here what he wants done.

It has a massive underbite lmao

These auctions are where used car dealers in Japan get their vehicles. Sometimes you'll see one just jump auction houses, or you'll see this happen and something will end up on a lot. This is why if you see something you want BID AS HIGH AND AS HARD AS YOU CAN otherwise you'll get sniped by like 20 bucks :negative:
In this case though wasn't much to be done because it was supposed to be canceled but then WHOOPS wasn't. Guessing the dealer is bros with someone at the auction so they did some dirty stuff to insure they got the buy. I'd probably buy that at 280,000 assuming it's as good as it looks.

Riller posted:

Since I got the Pajero on the road, I've had quite a few people ask about it and where I got it. I've owned a lot of cool classic muscle cars, but this thing is even more fun to drive. The turbo diesel just pulls like there's no tomorrow. While I was out running errands today a guy started yelling from 2 lanes over asking what make it was. Then he asks where I work because he wants to find me and buy it. I don't even have the title yet and this thing is selling itself! Any of you guys on the fence about a Jimny because you want to do 50+ just get a short wheelbase Pajero. It's only slightly bigger but feels like a "real" vehicle.

Having had both (granted my Pajero was a generation before yours) they drive very differently. The Pajeros feel like fright-train powered blocks of granite compared to the sport-bike like lightness and turbo boosty-ness of the Jimnys. The Pajero is absolutely a real vehicle that you can drive without compromises though yeah.

EDIT

:toot:

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I am getting fatigued with waiting for a sweet Jimny. I told Yoshi I would probably just buy that teal one but he pushed back a little bit so I decided to give it a couple weeks and see what pops up at auction. I know Kaker is not too hip on modded cars but this one looked clean:

90273: 5mt, ac, seats and steering wheel worn, small chips in windshield, interior dirty and scratches, aftermarket steering wheel peeling, ceiling liner dirty, aftermarket bumpers, undercarriage surface rust and corrosion, seats torn and covers installed, other dents scratches paint faded paint peeling

Shaken performed last summer. It looked good and I liked the wheels and bubble top. The bumpers were not my favorite but eeeh it looked cool and clean overall. Requested inspection but Yoshi couldn't get it done because it was at an offsite location so the inspector couldn't check it out. Decided to bid blind and say 185000, if I won cool, if not then no big deal. It sold for 237000. Reality is that I wouldn't be scared to bid up to 400000 on a totally sweet and low mile Jimny so I think the hardest part will be just waiting it out.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I am getting fatigued with waiting for a sweet Jimny. I told Yoshi I would probably just buy that teal one but he pushed back a little bit so I decided to give it a couple weeks and see what pops up at auction. I know Kaker is not too hip on modded cars but this one looked clean:

90273: 5mt, ac, seats and steering wheel worn, small chips in windshield, interior dirty and scratches, aftermarket steering wheel peeling, ceiling liner dirty, aftermarket bumpers, undercarriage surface rust and corrosion, seats torn and covers installed, other dents scratches paint faded paint peeling

Shaken performed last summer. It looked good and I liked the wheels and bubble top. The bumpers were not my favorite but eeeh it looked cool and clean overall. Requested inspection but Yoshi couldn't get it done because it was at an offsite location so the inspector couldn't check it out. Decided to bid blind and say 185000, if I won cool, if not then no big deal. It sold for 237000. Reality is that I wouldn't be scared to bid up to 400000 on a totally sweet and low mile Jimny so I think the hardest part will be just waiting it out.

it all sucks until you get a win and then it sucks till you get it delivered, then it's rad when you have your car. Just keep on going, your Jimny is out there~~~~

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

KakerMix posted:

it all sucks until you get a win and then it sucks till you get it delivered, then it's rad when you have your car. Just keep on going, your Jimny is out there~~~~

When do our cars get to jax port kaker i've been waiting for years? (very end of 2018)

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

wargames posted:

When do our cars get to jax port kaker i've been waiting for years? (very end of 2018)

Was yours on the boat with my Delica? I forget.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

KakerMix posted:

Was yours on the boat with my Delica? I forget.

I do not belive so/don't know, but i did get an email from yoshi while on vacation making sure my details were correct and its a BL draft with viking destiny v/12 kobe on the pdf.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

wargames posted:

I do not belive so/don't know, but i did get an email from yoshi while on vacation making sure my details were correct and its a BL draft with viking destiny v/12 kobe on the pdf.

Nope, you AZ-1 is ship mates with the HiAce and 82 Acty truck. ETA is March 1st, give it a week (and maybe a few more days) more than that before it's actually released.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Met a guy today who had an extended cab 4wd V6 1990 Isuzu Pickup. (Sold in the Japanese market as the Rodeo, which is actually what the guy called it) Granted he bought the truck new in the US... But that would be a pretty sweet pickup to find as a minty import that avoids the chicken tax.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

KakerMix posted:

Nope, you AZ-1 is ship mates with the HiAce and 82 Acty truck. ETA is March 1st, give it a week (and maybe a few more days) more than that before it's actually released.

So do I talk with an import broker now?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

wargames posted:

I would, yes.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

KakerMix posted:

I would, yes.

can't find the info on the import broker you suggested eariler in the thread. Mind repeating it again?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

wargames posted:

can't find the info on the import broker you suggested eariler in the thread. Mind repeating it again?
Henry and Dusten at Great World Customs Services

henry@gwlcorp.com

dustenhom@gwlcorp.com

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

KakerMix posted:

Henry and Dusten at Great World Customs Services

henry@gwlcorp.com

dustenhom@gwlcorp.com

How do we figure out which month our car was made?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

wargames posted:

Should be on the sticker on the driver's door jamb

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

wargames posted:

Usually in the auction sheet, if not you can go to any AZ-1 auction page on the JCD's auction site, like this one:

https://auc.japancardirect.com/st-dF4GrzgNwSuPT.htm

And pop in your chassis ID. I just did it with the first AZ-1 I bought:

29th of September 1992.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Speaking of chassis numbers: does having a non-original engine fitted make things trickier in terms of importing and registering?

I've come across one or two vans I was interested in, but had been fitted with different engines - eg a Holden motor in a Mitsubishi van. They had mod plates (an engineer's certificate) for what it was worth, but the engines might have been from more recent vehicles.

OTOH, I just came across a postie with an '89 frame and "2007 running gear" - I'm assuming they swapped in the newer engine. Would that potentially cause problems?

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 9, 2019

Riller
Jun 16, 2008

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Speaking of chassis numbers: does having a non-original engine fitted make things trickier in terms of importing and registering?

I've come across one or two vans I was interested in, but had been fitted with different engines - eg a Holden motor in a Mitsubishi van. They had mod plates (an engineer's certificate) for what it was worth, but the engines might have been from more recent vehicles.

OTOH, I just came across a postie with an '89 frame and "2007 running gear" - I'm assuming they swapped in the newer engine. Would that potentially cause problems?

You might run into problems with this, because I believe the US Customs rules specify that the vehicle has to be stock to be exempt from the EPA regulations. I don't know if the engineer's certificate will pass, because usually they need an EPA sticker otherwise.

CBP Site

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

wargames posted:

Go ahead and get it cleared if u are playing along remember I’m the dumbass who didn’t and was facing a $15k fine

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

everdave posted:

Go ahead and get it cleared if u are playing along remember I’m the dumbass who didn’t and was facing a $15k fine

So far i havn't needed to fill out too many forms.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Just got set up with jcd and am already spending all my free time at work looking at auctions.

One thing I still need to figure out is where the hell. I would ship to given that I live in UT. Guessing at least for the first shipment I'd rather be at least in the same city as the port. Got some friends in pdx, but how does it work if I want to register in a different state than where the thing is delivered to?

This may be a question for an import broker but maybe you guys have some thoughts?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Just got set up with jcd and am already spending all my free time at work looking at auctions.

One thing I still need to figure out is where the hell. I would ship to given that I live in UT. Guessing at least for the first shipment I'd rather be at least in the same city as the port. Got some friends in pdx, but how does it work if I want to register in a different state than where the thing is delivered to?

This may be a question for an import broker but maybe you guys have some thoughts?

Hey UT goon! What part are you located? We can ship to either Tacoma or Long Beach ports. Depending on what you buy the cost from either port can vary. I’m planning on a Jimny. Cost between the two on estimates from uShip appear to be the same. My boss bought a land cruiser that’s on the water headed for LB. I might do Tacoma to see how the process compares.

The broker should be able to help get it on the truck at port headed for us. Then we take the paperwork from the port broker to the DMV and submit for title and registration. It should be fairly painless.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Awesome, that is just what I was hoping to hear! Spoke with Mathew last night and he basically told me the same thing. I think I want to use long Beach as he said they were "way more lax" but of course I need to find the right vehicle first. Hoping for a turbo diesel prado but I am watching these Jimnies too. The one with a snowplow was pretty tempting I gotta say!

I'm in Salt Lake BTW.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Shin-Osaka station has this display rn and 🤤

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Oh man that display thing in front showing every generation of Jimny :allears:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KakerMix posted:

Oh man that display thing in front showing every generation of Jimny :allears:

You should get one, hang it in your dealership, and stick "coming soon 2025" type stickers as appropriate on all of the future generations.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Awesome, that is just what I was hoping to hear! Spoke with Mathew last night and he basically told me the same thing. I think I want to use long Beach as he said they were "way more lax" but of course I need to find the right vehicle first. Hoping for a turbo diesel prado but I am watching these Jimnies too. The one with a snowplow was pretty tempting I gotta say!

I'm in Salt Lake BTW.

:hf: Very cool. I am in Bluffdale/Draper. The plans are to get a Jimny and fart around out at Five Mile Pass and Little Moab since I am out those ways with friends to drive RC cars pretty regularly.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Jalopnik had a sort of 2018 Jimny review up the other day.
https://jalopnik.com/the-2018-suzuki-jimny-is-the-off-road-bargain-of-your-d-1832227972

Great off road, not fun at all on the highway.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Shin-Osaka had a really sweet Hustler demo display along with the KYB stuff when I visited in 2015.

Try the tonkatsu restaurant in the corner. It's the best I've ever had.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Riller posted:

You might run into problems with this, because I believe the US Customs rules specify that the vehicle has to be stock to be exempt from the EPA regulations. I don't know if the engineer's certificate will pass, because usually they need an EPA sticker otherwise.

CBP Site

Thanks, I thought I remembered something about that, but couldn't find where!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

JCD's site isn't working but this thing is looking sweet. The hood ornament and everything! There is a little bit of corrosion on the left rear fenderwell. The 70 series is such an odd looking beast. I wonder how slow it is with that 4cyl diesel. very

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Femtosecond posted:

Great off road, not fun at all on the highway.

That's pretty much a given. Back when i owned a Samurai I took it on the interstate once on a mini road trip and it was a mistake, never did that again :v:

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

I'll go test drive on of these this weekend if ya'll want a quick review

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

IOwnCalculus posted:

You should get one, hang it in your dealership, and stick "coming soon 2025" type stickers as appropriate on all of the future generations.

That's a pretty baller idea actually, if only I could actually find that source image.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

JCD's site isn't working but this thing is looking sweet. The hood ornament and everything! There is a little bit of corrosion on the left rear fenderwell. The 70 series is such an odd looking beast. I wonder how slow it is with that 4cyl diesel. very

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-YCTgPbajxWyX79.htm

I bet this will go pretty cheap. I am also willing to bet that C1 they are claiming on the rear left back there probably isn't actually corrosion at all.
Looks to be a non-turbo diesel so it will be slooooowwwwwwww. Does look pretty killer otherwise.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Feb 13, 2019

Riller
Jun 16, 2008

KakerMix posted:

That's a pretty baller idea actually, if only I could actually find that source image.

This was the largest size I could find in a few minutes of searching. It could be cropped, rotated, and possibly sharpened in Photoshop and you might be able to use it. I can't do it from work otherwise I would.

https://i.imgur.com/M15owyf.jpg

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
MIAMI BEAT
Life is a joy and all things show it

Wait what the hell is that poo poo in the back on the floor there?

It's....odd. Looks like a big flat rubber sheet, reminds me of those thin rubber strips that people use for stretch exercises, but a large sheet of it, that sort of disintegrated in the back not unlike what a rubber band will do after sitting somewhere for years. It's grabable, but soft. If no pressure was on it on the carpet you can peel it up easy. If there was pressure though it then turns into more like a stepped-on wad of gum in your carpet, it does not want to come off. Thankfully a vast majority of it is on the removable mats but there is a bit of it on the actual fabric floor of the van. After spending about 3 hours trying to figure out what and also how the gently caress, I've written off the rear floor mats and instead are going to use them to test different solvents and chemicals to see what can get this poo poo off. Presumably if I can get it off the mats I'll save them but boy, I have my doubts.

The seats and fabric underneath those covers is perfect btw, so the covers have to go, however the red ones did inspire me:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Those front seat covers are gross.

Is that some kind of shelving setup for the centre console?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Jesus christ, a melted Kaiju hitchhiked its way across the ocean

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Those front seat covers are gross.

Is that some kind of shelving setup for the centre console?

The covers are gross as hell which is why I'm super stoked the actual seats are good.

That weird wood poo poo is a stand that was used to prop up a TV. In the back pocket of the driver's seat was a large brochure showcasing all the Delica Star Wagons, this one is an Exceed Aero Roof model. In the back are pictures of various accessories. The wooden TV stand is presumably what the owners of this Delica wanted to re-create, but it was poo poo and also garbage instead.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Goddamn that thing is rad on the exterior, but it needs a lot of love on the inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-97XYGGWJfEpBkIE.htm

This little Deli popped up today. It’s so awesome.