Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

osker posted:

NPR morning edition had the congressional representative from Aipac, NJ just piling on olmar. The host was throwing softballs, so clearly they get paid too.

I heard that this morning. The guy was asked if there is a "correct" way of criticizing Israel and instead of answering the question, he started talking about terrorism, Hamas, why Israel "needs" genocidal policy to survive, and on and on. But no answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Wendell posted:

That’s exactly what I heard. Now I can hear it either way if I try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1okD66RmktA

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug

NewMars posted:

I think you're overthinking this: he's just aware, vaguely, that people keep saying he has no idea what a dog is and is trying to show that yes, he does, see! Dogs all over! Like that one: *points at a squirrel.*

I'll have you know that our president did an EXCELLENT job at being able to tell which animal is which on the Montreal Cognitive Assessment test that he took last year.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

PhazonLink posted:

the problem is between the chair and keyboard.

Then remove the keyboard.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Yeah, just like that!

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I bet dogs hate Trump

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

friendbot2000 posted:

Name a religiously oriented hate-rally and I have been to it and participated in it. I was desperate to be liked, to be loved, to be accepted. That meant I had to hate. I had to hate better than anyone had hated before, which turns out was easy because I had this immense well of anger within me over all the years of bullying, abuse, and isolation. Hate was so easy because I spent 15 years loathing who I was. The effect was compounded by the school because I had what is sometimes referred to as "a little sugar in the tank". I am not fully bisexual, but sure as hell am not cis if that makes any sense. That meant I was filthy. No one liked me because I am a filthy sinner that had forbidden sexual feelings. I deserved all of this and that just made me hate more. That is what these places do to children. They turn them into monsters. I legitimately felt pity for the Covington School kids because I saw who they were and I knew how they got there. It isn't a pretty path for anyone to go down. It is utterly devoid of hope.

I grew up with grandparents over summer vacation that took me to daily mass. (At the time I had undiagnosed ADHD, which kinda explains things a little now.) I remember sitting there willingly in church wishing that I could love God more because somehow the amount I did love God just wasn't adequate and I was going to go to hell. That poo poo really can brainwash you.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Thanks for summarizing the last few days worth of pages in this thread Chris.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Oh boy QAnon for liberals

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Senate Intel Committee just decided that Trump is innocent of crimes forever.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/mattzap/status/1095340068003139586?s=19

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

TheScott2K posted:

I bet dogs hate Trump

I bet they love him because he's constantly emitting different types of smells.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

They actually meant "Post-Perjury Personnel Needs".

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
A dog would lick Trump's face and that would be a mess.

Does spray tan taste salty?

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

CmdrRiker posted:

I grew up with grandparents over summer vacation that took me to daily mass. (At the time I had undiagnosed ADHD, which kinda explains things a little now.) I remember sitting there willingly in church wishing that I could love God more because somehow the amount I did love God just wasn't adequate and I was going to go to hell. That poo poo really can brainwash you.

Exactly.

Pair that with knowing that you are not like the other kids on the playground and you have a setup for being radicalized by a hateful ideology. I always felt like I was waving through a window. The isolation and self-loathing is what drives a lot of people into the arms of these organizations. They can be saved. It is hard work, but they can be saved. I know not just because of my experience, but because I have saved 2 others from these feedback loops. The key is to wave back and show kindness. Yes, you will be attacked sometimes, but to save just one is to be one step closer to saving the world from hateful ideology. Each person you can bring out of these poisonous cesspools of loathing will go on to potentially save others. No one lives in a vacuum. A smile can make the difference between making someone decided to kill themselves that day. Some people will say I am buying into "hope-monger lies", but without hope what the gently caress do we have? What is the point without hope?

I am not anti-religion by any stretch even with what I went through. I have been in a number of congregations and synagogues that preach love, compassion, and living your best life. I tend to live among a weird niche of Buddhism and Agnosticism hybrid now because it gives me much more peace and jives with my DBT mindfulness training that helps with my ADHD. As an aside, for those goons with ADHD and mood disorders, I cannot recommend DBT Therapy enough, but I digress.

And no, I will never apologize for Dear Evan Hansen.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

VitalSigns posted:

Oh boy QAnon for liberals

hello. decidedly not a liberal here. remember DHS announcing 1488 missing children? they are definitely, 100% doing this on purpose

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

SKULL.GIF posted:

hello. decidedly not a liberal here. remember DHS announcing 1488 missing children? they are definitely, 100% doing this on purpose

They definitely are doing it sometimes

But not this time

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Yeah noticing the administration using 1488 repeatedly is a bit different than Qanon-tier "At the SOTU, someone named Jeff was sitting in the 8th seat of row C, Jeff's name starts with J and H is the 8th letter of the alphabet, in row C, J H C means Jail Hillary Clinton on Q's weird Mayan chart! It all makes sense!"

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Donald Trump Jr is going to be allowed to do poo poo like this for the next 50 years

think about that

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/jbouie/status/1095339501444952067
https://twitter.com/jbouie/status/1095343068549664768

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

"Contributor-driven" sites like Quillette that let randos just poo poo out fabricated content that looks like a properly-edited and factchecked piece are a problem. David Brooks-reading Boomers are going to fwd this poo poo.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Nazzadan posted:

Yeah noticing the administration using 1488 repeatedly is a bit different than Qanon-tier "At the SOTU, someone named Jeff was sitting in the 8th seat of row C, Jeff's name starts with J and H is the 8th letter of the alphabet, in row C, J H C means Jail Hillary Clinton on Q's weird Mayan chart! It all makes sense!"

oh sure, in this case it's more a funny coincidence than an Ominous Signal, but it's useful to stay on alert for this stuff because it can show up even when it isn't immediately obvious

https://twitter.com/SteveKingIA/status/1048676715654991872

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

friendbot2000 posted:

A smile can make the difference between making someone decided to kill themselves that day. Some people will say I am buying into "hope-monger lies", but without hope what the gently caress do we have? What is the point without hope?

The truth is more important than anything, including the will to live. If someone can't go on without believing the lie, that's a failure of their personality, not the truth teller's. The world and everyone in it is complete poo poo; always has been, always will be. Learn to live with that fact, or don't.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Nazzadan posted:

And noticing 1488 is different than noticing that 1.3 billion looks like 14 if you move the decimal and round up and that 55 miles is 88.5139km and that is like an 88.

If you are rounding (haphazardly in two different directions), moving decimals AND converting units to get your special number you are way off into crazy town.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

SKULL.GIF posted:

oh sure, in this case it's more a funny coincidence than an Ominous Signal, but it's useful to stay on alert for this stuff because it can show up even when it isn't immediately obvious

We must stop Steve King from stuffing babies into wombs, there should only be a fetus in there

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

And noticing 1488 is different than noticing that 1.3 billion looks like 14 if you move the decimal and round up and that 55 miles is 88.5139km and that is like an 88.

If you are rounding (haphazardly in two different directions), moving decimals AND converting units to get your special number you are way off into crazy town.

I didn't move poo poo, I'm going off a screenshot quoted in a tweet quoted in a thread. If the person in the screenshot is haphaazardly moving decimals around that's their fault for spreading misinformation.

Edit: Read it again. "Nearly 1.4bil" okay nevermind I'm cobbed, I'll eat this one.

Nazzadan fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 12, 2019

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Cutting their cables is literally an act of war.

:psyduck:

In this hypothetical scenario, is "committing cyber attacks with impugnity" not already an act of war being committed by then? I am not one of the people buying into the red bait stuff personally, but that would be my interpretation of this scenario.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

When, at long last, is Steve King going to be devoured by one of the monsters in Stephen King's books?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Nazzadan posted:

I didn't move poo poo, I'm going off a screenshot quoted in a tweet quoted in a thread. If the person in the screenshot is haphaazardly moving decimals around that's their fault for spreading misinformation.

Look at the screenshot again buddy, it's 1.4, and the miles had to be converted to km.

HappyHippo fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 12, 2019

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

lolllll

Did the writer just not think all the bullshit was bullshit enough? Putting 9/11 in the story? Really? And for that racist punchline?

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
"I'm sure THIS time it's not a Nazi reference" says weirdly smug person surrounded by Nazi messages, "you FOOLS see Nazi messages everywhere and yeah the last 87 times it turned out to be Nazi messages but I got a good feeling about this one."

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

HappyHippo posted:

Look at the screenshot again buddy, it's 1.4, and the miles had to be converted to km.

Yeah I jumped the gun

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

InsertPotPun posted:

"I'm sure THIS time it's not a Nazi reference" says weirdly smug person surrounded by Nazi messages, "you FOOLS see Nazi messages everywhere and yeah the last 87 times it turned out to be Nazi messages but I got a good feeling about this one."

It's funny how you think you're the smart person here.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Kerning Chameleon posted:

The truth is more important than anything, including the will to live. If someone can't go on without believing the lie, that's a failure of their personality, not the truth teller's. The world and everyone in it is complete poo poo; always has been, always will be. Learn to live with that fact, or don't.

LOL brood harder

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

SKULL.GIF posted:

"And I very specifically mean like this little angel, *cough cough*."

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Nazzadan posted:

Edit: Read it again. "Nearly 1.4bil" okay nevermind I'm cobbed, I'll eat this one.

The numbers are also being decided by a bipartisan committee in negotiations

It's plausible that a single person might think "I'll slip this into a press release"

It isn't that Republican senators are making it a key part of their negotiations

"Man, I'd love more money for our side, but is miss out on this great joke!", Thought five senators

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Kerning Chameleon posted:

"Everything is meaningless and pointless, BUT ALSO I must slavishly adhere to the concept of Truth for some reason. Metaphysics is a lie, but i still must follow a purely metaphysical directive. I'm smart."

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Steve Schmidt Storms Off Own Podcast When Asked About Advising Howard Schultz

quote:

Levine asks about the 70-percent marginal tax rate proposed by Warren that Schultz called ridiculous. “Yes, ridiculous, confiscatory, anti-growth,” Schmidt says.

That prompts Levine to ask the question that evidently hits a nerve. “Will Derek Jeter or another athlete not hit another home run because they’re going to get taxed at 70? What’s the economic behavior that he thinks is anti-growth, other than his own pocket?”

“This is bullshit,” Schmidt exclaims. “I’m not doing this.”

“Steve, you’ve got to answer the questions,” Levine says.

“I’m not,” and with that Schmidt slams down his headset and abruptly ends the interview. He threatened legal action against the studio if the interview airs, according to a source involved in the discussion. When his legal threat failed, he offered to buy the recording, according to the source. The studio refused.

Schmidt told The Daily Beast, “My objection is not on a tough question. It’s the surreality of having a podcast hijacked from me. Until this recording, I had always thought this was Elise’s and my podcast.”

Levine told The Daily Beast that the podcast will continue but that Schmidt will no longer be involved with the podcast or the company, Words Matter, which takes its name from an expression Russert used with particularly evasive guests.

“I think he thought it would be a softball interview,” Levine says of Schmidt “I love him, I hope he’s OK, but what he did is antithetical to the mission of Words Matter. After everything he said about Donald Trump in the past two years, he’s part of an effort that could lead to Trump’s reelection.”

https://www.thedailybeast.com/steve-schmidt-storms-off-own-podcast-when-asked-about-advising-howard-schultz

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Steve Schitt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I want to know the what the white word was. Antiquing? Brunch? Mortgage interest deduction? Yogacize? Help me out here.