Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Pirate Jet posted:

Was this post supposed to do anything other than prove my point?

If a movie is too boring to hold my attention then it's a fair and just criticism of its quality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

After the fun opening the movie was too boring to keep my attention for more than a few moments here and there :shrug:

I bailed on Ocean's 8 after ten minutes because, unlike the last three, it looked like poo poo. What would be weirdly entitled is if I then wandered into the heist movie thread and started posting nitpicks about a plot I hadn't seen.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

If a movie is too boring to hold my attention then it's a fair and just criticism of its quality

it's not a criticism of the plot not making sense

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Brother Entropy posted:

it's not a criticism of the plot not making sense

Oh I thought the plot mostly made sense, I mean it's lightyears better than the total shambles that was BvS, just a few small issues here and there. It was still boring though.

And I didn't walk out after 10 minutes, I watched the whole thing, you're confusing me with the other poster.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I liked the "boring" parts most about MoS. Clark just wandering around; Lois figuring stuff out, Clark discovering his powers - that's all the meat of the film to me.

I think I liked it because it was all so earnest and played straight as a drama. Even when they joked; they joked to each other and not the audience, which is a real distinction. The characters seemed to believe what they were doing and had real emotions about the situation as opposed to the Marvel style "I'm so cool, I almost know I'm in a movie and will never fully embrace anything without pointing out how absurd it is," or even BvS's more over the top, operatic tone.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

I watched the whole thing

Ah, I see, you're full of poo poo.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Fart City posted:

Neil Armstrong first walked on the moon in 1969, and nearly fifty years later we still haven’t established a livable colony on the lunar surface. Just because advancements are made, doesn’t mean they are prioritized. For all we know those Kryptonian ships are based on thirty-year old designs and aren’t capable of interstellar travel.

China this year has put a rover on the moon and a brand new satellite in orbit. In the next few years they do plan on sending people to the moon too. Going to be massively embarrassing for America when that happens.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

When did that happen? I got bored after an hour or so and zoned out waiting for something fun or interesting to happen, don't really remember much of the dialogue across the middle.

NTRabbit posted:

And I didn't walk out after 10 minutes, I watched the whole thing, you're confusing me with the other poster.

No you didnt.

Next you'll be asking why batman wore power armor.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Sir Kodiak posted:

I bailed on Ocean's 8 after ten minutes because, unlike the last three, it looked like poo poo. What would be weirdly entitled is if I then wandered into the heist movie thread and started posting nitpicks about a plot I hadn't seen.

You made it through Ocean's 12, but couldn't make it through 8?

I mean, I guess 12 looked pretty. But good lord, is that ever a poo poo movie.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

You made it through Ocean's 12, but couldn't make it through 8?

I mean, I guess 12 looked pretty. But good lord, is that ever a poo poo movie.

Ocean's 12 ain't great, but, yep, it was shot and edited well and that's better than a movie that isn't.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo Oceans 12 just goes on forever though. *sandlot voice* FOR-E-VER.

It's true though whatever the faults of those movies, it was still Soderbergh. This Gary Ross dude has no talent.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I really liked Oceans 13

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I really liked Oceans 13

I remember liking it just because of the Pacino/Garcia reunion and that making it more interesting around.

Did 12 have a whole subplot about "she looks like Julia Roberts" or something? I remember not being able to stand 12 at all, and if that was the case, that may be what put it over the top for me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Darko posted:

I remember liking it just because of the Pacino/Garcia reunion and that making it more interesting around.

Did 12 have a whole subplot about "she looks like Julia Roberts" or something? I remember not being able to stand 12 at all, and if that was the case, that may be what put it over the top for me.

Yea there's this whole middle portion of 12 that includes that and I just completely zone out every single time. It's one of the very few movies that I've wanted to see enough to go to the theater and then actually fallen asleep.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

NTRabbit posted:

Or it might be the same reason my 4-year old son yells "TOO MUCH TALKING" whenever he tries to watch a movie for adults: he can't actually understand the material because his brain is underdeveloped

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

I said come in! posted:

China this year has put a rover on the moon and a brand new satellite in orbit. In the next few years they do plan on sending people to the moon too. Going to be massively embarrassing for America when that happens.

The unnamed country can only salivate!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

My favorite part of 12 is when Elliot Gould's character asks who is on the hundred dollar bill he gets different answers from everyone. And that he only really knew Benjamin Franklin as the guy on the 100 dollar bill.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Or it might be the same reason my 4-year old son yells "TOO MUCH TALKING" whenever he tries to watch a movie for adults: he can't actually understand the material because his brain is underdeveloped

My brain is fine, it's just a boring movie. There's no fun outside of the opening battle, it's just dour and joyless.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 12, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Try movies with little to no dialogue.

I watched the anti colonialist version of Robinson Crusoe a few years ago and my 3yo was basically enraptured

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

NTRabbit posted:

My brain is fine, it's just a boring movie. There's no fun outside of the opening battle, it's just dour and joyless.

ah okay, poo poo, we fell for it, good show

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

Lol

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Was NTR the one obsessed with RT scores last year or so?

Because I seem to remember that

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Burkion posted:

You talking the comprehensive super graphs by BoobMarley? Those owned.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MacheteZombie posted:

You talking the comprehensive super graphs by BoobMarley? Those owned.

Boob! That was the one, sorry NTR

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

NTRabbit posted:

it's just dour and joyless.

“This is a terrible Superman movie.”

(Flips case over, revealing that it is a copy of Shoah)

(slaps forehead)

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

I think it's one of the most interesting superhero movies ever made. It explores Kent's choice to become Superman and gave him an actual moral decision. The actions actually have consequences, which lead directly into BvS. The story was tight and well-scripted and the cinematography was top-notch. Michael Shannon killed it as Zod.

I wasn't bored at all, whereas I got really bored during Civil War and Guardians 2.

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Feb 12, 2019

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

NTRabbit posted:

When people complain about the "dourness" and "joylessness" of Man of Steel, what motivates them is how it denies them the paternalistic fantasy and smarmy sarcasm that they've been conditioned to accept as superheroism. They can no longer recognize the real thing.

There's never a lack of entertaining or exciting scenes in Man of Steel, even something as mundane as the confrontation at the bar. Your tactic is simply to deny that they exist by claiming that the movie is basically blank footage.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Crows Turn Off posted:

Michael Shannon killed it as Zod.

One my favorite villains because of the energy he brings.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I really liked Oceans 13

Yeah, 13 is great. I'd say it's as good as 11.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

MacheteZombie posted:

One my favorite villains because of the energy he brings.

Everything about him fell into place for me when someone on here mentioned his dorky hair. I mean, I loved him before because it's Michael Shannon, but Zod is also pretty much someone who could just as well show up as a instructor in a Police Academy movie where someone would write DORK on his back with sunscreen while he naps on the beach.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Grendels Dad posted:

Everything about him fell into place for me when someone on here mentioned his dorky hair. I mean, I loved him before because it's Michael Shannon, but Zod is also pretty much someone who could just as well show up as a instructor in a Police Academy movie where someone would write DORK on his back with sunscreen while he naps on the beach.

You basically know he's gonna knock it out of the park when he does that "I WILL FIND HIM" delivery as he's being sent to the phantom zone. There's like 2 guys on the planet that could've delivered the lines that way and pulled it off.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

You basically know he's gonna knock it out of the park when he does that "I WILL FIND HIM" delivery as he's being sent to the phantom zone. There's like 2 guys on the planet that could've delivered the lines that way and pulled it off.

It's an incredible line read.

The way he tears into the council is also fantastic.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

There's a wonderful manic desperation with his whole performance as Zod, it's awesome.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Azubah posted:

There's a wonderful manic desperation with his whole performance as Zod, it's awesome.

There's more life in him than in the rest of MoS's cast combined.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Something that I appreciate about MoS’ entire opening, and don’t see mentioned that much, is how well it plays as an Edgar Rice Borroughs John Carter-esque pulp adventure, what with all the hyper-stylized technology, flying mounts, and Jor-El: Action Man Of Science.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Superman's progenitor basically being Doc Savage is very deliberate.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

Burkion posted:

I think he was the one who claimed that he was unable to recognize the christian imagery in the movie because he was australian.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

MacheteZombie posted:

No you didnt.

Next you'll be asking why batman wore power armor.

Reminder that this is a dude that doesn't understand how the crucifixion pose is biblical, he's practically jivjovian in his literalness

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fart City posted:

And not for nothing but “why didn’t the Kryptonians escape Krypton” skews fairly close to “why didn’t Thomas Wayne carry a gun on him.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UjrMRisQDc

"The Gang Saves Gotham"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Crows Turn Off posted:

I think it's one of the most interesting superhero movies ever made. It explores Kent's choice to become Superman and gave him an actual moral decision. The actions actually have consequences, which lead directly into BvS. The story was tight and well-scripted and the cinematography was top-notch. Michael Shannon killed it as Zod.

I wasn't bored at all, whereas I got really bored during Civil War and Guardians 2.

I agree with all of this. I really did not like BvS at all, but seeing the consequences from Man of Steel was the one thing I loved. Also in the same camp that Civil War and Guardians 2 were bad movies. I generally defend Marvel films, but those are the two films that I can't stand.