Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Liquid Communism posted:

Jesus loving christ these interiors are horrible.

Lol dudes name is Blue Wang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

kid sinister posted:

That ain't clean water, either. What's the vote? Sewage or the coolant lines for a data center?

Sprinkler main. The water sits in iron pipes for years without ever getting flushed. Also possibly an HVAC water loop.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Liquid Communism posted:

(I can't take any more)

That looks like every rehab in Point Breeze (Phila)

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
White house would work perfectly as an airBNB. Sterile, non-threatening, downright hotel-like. That's it's new use now right?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

tbf the interiors from before were in dire need of a refresh, but what happened is so sterile.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I don't know how the City of Oakland feels, but San Francisco recently told flippers to gently caress themselves and rebuild a house as it was.

PS the only thing I hate more than barn doors is shiplap.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

quote:

"I'm the kind of person who pays a lot of attention to details," says Wang. "You walk into this house versus another house that's on the market and it's not going to be the same because of all the details I gave a lot of thought to.

“Attention to detail” is flipper code for “just like every other flip,” right?

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
Demolishing a Neutra? That’s a guillotinin’.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Liquid Communism posted:

Are you positive that's a house and not a 2000s-era raytracing demo?

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

GotLag posted:

Are you positive that's a house and not a 2000s-era raytracing demo?

Oh god, it's the Eyewitness intro!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uwarhzl76D8

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

RandomPauI posted:

White house would work perfectly as an airBNB. Sterile, non-threatening, downright hotel-like. That's it's new use now right?

Three bedrooms with ensuites and a big common room, probably expecting it to be techbro dorms.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Maybe they retained everything and put them into storage!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Good. fine that fucker to the point of never even thinking about touching a historic building again

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Liquid Communism posted:

For when you want Joanna Gaines, but even blander.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm not a big fan of open plan in the first place, and the color palette is an atrocity. WTF goes on in people's minds to eschew color?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I think it works if they had accents that were really playful and the walls needed to neutralize that. They have nothing though other than other bland pieces of art / furniture.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I'm not a big fan of open plan in the first place, and the color palette is an atrocity. WTF goes on in people's minds to eschew color?

People are literally afraid of color. They don't have an instinct for why certain combinations work or don't work and they didn't take enough art to get a good idea of color theory, so their petrified of making the wrong choice and having a really ugly space. They'll glom onto ideas like 'pop of color' sometimes, but otherwise stay super neutral so as to avoid any clashing or unpleasant reactions. Add all that to commercial incentives, like how a really white room is going to look brighter, bigger, cleaner, and newer, and the rash of sterile hotel suits passing as homes is born.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Ymmv but I find neutral color palettes really restful. I'm mostly home just to sleep and chill out, so peaceful and restful is the vibe I want. There's plenty else I dislike about that design, but the palette isn't a problem for me. I wouldn't be a fan of living in a blank white box, but when I'm living in a space, I find there's enough color from belongings -- books, jewelry, art supplies, whatever -- to bring life to the neutral background. Texture and outline are also crucial for making a monochromatic space seem cozy imo.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

there wolf posted:

People are literally afraid of color. They don't have an instinct for why certain combinations work or don't work and they didn't take enough art to get a good idea of color theory, so their petrified of making the wrong choice and having a really ugly space. They'll glom onto ideas like 'pop of color' sometimes, but otherwise stay super neutral so as to avoid any clashing or unpleasant reactions. Add all that to commercial incentives, like how a really white room is going to look brighter, bigger, cleaner, and newer, and the rash of sterile hotel suits passing as homes is born.

Paint samples at Lowe’s and poo poo literally have coordinated colors on the back on them. Like, “hey you like this color? Check out these two accent colors that go well with it!”

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Paint samples at Lowe’s and poo poo literally have coordinated colors on the back on them. Like, “hey you like this color? Check out these two accent colors that go well with it!”

Seriously this. When my friends and I moved in to the house I'm currently in there were some really childish colors in two of the bedrooms (shockingly because they were kids rooms) so we got approval from the landlord to repaint. We were three single IT nerds with no eye for color, we just went to Home Depot and looked at their sample cards until we found a few combinations that we liked.

Plain white walls suck.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Anne Whateley posted:

Ymmv but I find neutral color palettes really restful. I'm mostly home just to sleep and chill out, so peaceful and restful is the vibe I want. There's plenty else I dislike about that design, but the palette isn't a problem for me. I wouldn't be a fan of living in a blank white box, but when I'm living in a space, I find there's enough color from belongings -- books, jewelry, art supplies, whatever -- to bring life to the neutral background. Texture and outline are also crucial for making a monochromatic space seem cozy imo.

This right here. The interior is sterile as hell, but it beats.... whatever crackhouse-chic they had in before with the pink ceilings in the bedroom, dark ceilings everywhere else, and the $10/dozen cabinet doors everywhere? They hosed up by removing a few of the exterior design touches and making the facade completely faceless, but everything else is far from the crime against humanity/good taste goons are making it out to be. Get some color on the walls, don't HDR the gently caress out of it with literally every single bit of extra lighting on at once, and you've got a rather decent living space, even if it is open-plan.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Neutral shades are the best but I hate the smell of drying paint enough I might not repaint in white unless the existing colour is truly offensive.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

We repainted our living room to a very light grey and it loving rules. Now it rules because it really makes the wood floors, wood fireplace mantle, and plants we have pop.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
White walls belong on tires.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

white walls are great because you can easily paint over them with literally any other color

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Oh, so we're back to playing this stupid loving game where where someone says grey-white cube living sucks, and a bunch of people rush in to explain how it's actually the best because color comes from other furnishings that only exist in their heads. I don't care if you like white walls, but that house is boring as gently caress made all the worse by how much detail was lost in the renovation. It needed the crappy updates like the kitchen and the carpets peeled back. It did not need to have all the Edwardian details sanded off to approximate lovely modernism.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

kid sinister posted:

That ain't clean water, either. What's the vote? Sewage or the coolant lines for a data center?

Pee is stored in the walls?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My wife, who went to school for interior design and architecture and works as a graphic designer, has chosen shades of grey for all of the rooms in our house - after complaining that every room was a shade of yellow when we bought it. What gets me the most, besides the furniture also all being grey, is that the difference in the shade from room to room is so subtle. Under most conditions, you can't see the difference room to room. I'm sure that a board certified color scientist can verify the differences with advanced testing equipment, but for the most part under most lighting conditions, its all grey to me. I have to keep a spreadsheet of which can of paint goes with which room in case anything every has to be repaired.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

FogHelmut posted:

My wife, who went to school for interior design and architecture and works as a graphic designer, has chosen shades of grey for all of the rooms in our house - after complaining that every room was a shade of yellow when we bought it. What gets me the most, besides the furniture also all being grey, is that the difference in the shade from room to room is so subtle. Under most conditions, you can't see the difference room to room. I'm sure that a board certified color scientist can verify the differences with advanced testing equipment, but for the most part under most lighting conditions, its all grey to me. I have to keep a spreadsheet of which can of paint goes with which room in case anything every has to be repaired.

There's warm grey and cool grey and if you pushed them together it would be completely obvious.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

FogHelmut posted:

My wife, who went to school for interior design and architecture and works as a graphic designer, has chosen shades of grey for all of the rooms in our house
It's a modern art dedication to her favorite book isn't it

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

FogHelmut posted:

Finding out that you're colorblind really comes out of the red for some people.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

poemdexter posted:

There's warm grey and cool grey and if you pushed them together it would be completely obvious.

Assuredly on paper they are different. But in real life, you have this situation going on around some corners:

Here's an unedited photo of a room we are working on -
There are three shades of grey here. Left- Perfect Taupe, Right Top - Natural Grey, Right Lower - Cotton Grey

Indeed very different side by side under ideal conditions, but they all blend together in the real world.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 12, 2019

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

You took the picture at an angle where glare from lighting completely washes it out. How does it look from straight on?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

FogHelmut posted:

Assuredly on paper they are different. But in real life, you have this situation going on around some corners:

Here's an unedited photo of a room we are working on -
There are three shades of grey here. Left- Perfect Taupe, Right Top - Natural Grey, Right Lower - Cotton Grey

Indeed very different side by side under ideal conditions, but they all blend together in the real world.

Are the different tones enhancing/playing with the light effect? That sounds pretty neat, and would be cool to see in person.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It took me a second, but that's a 90° angle where the corner is closest to us and it recedes way more on the right, yeah? If so, those three are all really distinct.

It could get weird with buckets of paint, since it would look different wet. But usually you just write the room on a piece of painters' tape and stick that on the can, it's not usually a job involving spreadsheets.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Anne Whateley posted:

It took me a second, but that's a 90° angle where the corner is closest to us and it recedes way more on the right, yeah? If so, those three are all really distinct.

It could get weird with buckets of paint, since it would look different wet. But usually you just write the room on a piece of painters' tape and stick that on the can, it's not usually a job involving spreadsheets.

As someone who just opened a can of paint from last summer that was rusty, it's good to keep it tracked somewhere else just in case.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I actually just recently thought about doing a spreadsheet for paint colors, especially when one or two of the colors we use are custom blends and not a named color I can reference.

schmug
May 20, 2007

The Dave posted:

Yeah I actually just recently thought about doing a spreadsheet for paint colors, especially when one or two of the colors we use are custom blends and not a named color I can reference.
lmao that is some if the gooniest poo poo I've read in here in a while.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Just, like, save the can? They put the mix on a label on the top, and then you know what the base was, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schmug
May 20, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

Just, like, save the can? They put the mix on a label on the top, and then you know what the base was, too.

I even sometimes go so far as to sharpie the name on the can of what room I used it in, but a loving spreadsheet?