Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Another Blood port just got released; this version is based on Eduke32 and supports the classic renderer as well as OpenGL .etc

https://forums.duke4.net/topic/10456-release-nblood-blood-port-based-on-eduke32/

I just tested it on Deathwish very quickly and so far it seems really solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

juggalo baby coffin posted:

well, clearly great minds think alike :c00lbert:

I extend my hand to you, Daikata-appretiating friend.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Johnny Joestar posted:

aesthetics are way more important as a whole than whatever individual rendering of sweat drops on a grunting marine's face a game studio can accomplish

doom mappers can pull off some really goddamn good aesthetics with the tools they have

and this principle actually applies within Doom mapping as well, not just comparing Doom mapping to whatever XBOXSSJ3 game is currently at the top of the sweat drop rendering curve

use All The Sectors to create a beautiful set of caverns, show the decay on the once-pristine surfaces of a ruined temple, or get just the right look for the unnatural light glowing around a hellish shrine? Amazing.

use All The Sectors, but it's to create eye-hurting geometric patterns that look like someone saw a Max Headroom background and went "hold my beer"? That poo poo's missing the point, IMO. I guess some people sincerely like it, though.

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

Jblade posted:

Another Blood port just got released; this version is based on Eduke32 and supports the classic renderer as well as OpenGL .etc

https://forums.duke4.net/topic/10456-release-nblood-blood-port-based-on-eduke32/

Blood source port without insane stuttering. Finally I can actually re-play this game!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Jblade posted:

Wow that's amazing! Thanks for posting here!

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Wild T posted:

The Crysis sequels had really good understated body horror.

The scene where you need to tap a button to start a defibrillator was so dumb at the time. You're doing this dumb QTE in a cutscene and wondering why the hell a high-tech suit with a built-in defibrillator would need it to be manually activated by a dying user. Then later you realize that you're not playing as the man in the suit, you're playing as the suit itself and you're trying to keep some rapidly deteriorating vegetable alive so you have a host.

The best line in the series was in Crysis 3 when Psycho is chewing you out and asks "Do you even have a face in there?"

When they describe Alcatraz's injuries :gonk: According to wiki: "ballistic trauma to his heart, lungs, vertebrae, and sternum; multiple ruptures in his lungs; several broken ribs; a flail chest segment; and extensive pulmonary bruising."

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Wild T posted:

The Crysis sequels had really good understated body horror.

The scene where you need to tap a button to start a defibrillator was so dumb at the time. You're doing this dumb QTE in a cutscene and wondering why the hell a high-tech suit with a built-in defibrillator would need it to be manually activated by a dying user. Then later you realize that you're not playing as the man in the suit, you're playing as the suit itself and you're trying to keep some rapidly deteriorating vegetable alive so you have a host.

The best line in the series was in Crysis 3 when Psycho is chewing you out and asks "Do you even have a face in there?"

I never played any of the Crysis games. This sounds amazing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I suppose this is a spoiler but Crysis 3 reveals pretty early on that the guy inside the suit is now long-dead, but it still can't be taken off because of its parasitic nature. In Crysis 3 you actually really are playing as the nanosuit pretending to be the previous owner because it has absorbed his consciousness. The nanosuit physically inter-weaves itself with the human wearing it by going inside their wounds to patch them up with nanobots and essentially becomes intravenous in the process, so it was able to essentially assume control of the body and gain the thoughts, memories, and feelings stashed in its brain.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Jblade posted:

niiiice

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

CJacobs posted:

I suppose this is a spoiler but Crysis 3 reveals pretty early on that the guy inside the suit is now long-dead, but it still can't be taken off because of its parasitic nature. In Crysis 3 you actually really are playing as the nanosuit pretending to be the previous owner because it has absorbed his consciousness. The nanosuit physically inter-weaves itself with the human wearing it by going inside their wounds to patch them up with nanobots and essentially becomes intravenous in the process, so it was able to essentially assume control of the body and gain the thoughts, memories, and feelings stashed in its brain.

I still have to finish Crysis 3 (may as well do it now) but from Crysis 2: It clearly shows that the nanosuit is a "living" thing that will evolve and take the user as host like a parasite.

Sure Crysis 2 wasn't as open as Crysis and Warhead but I really liked the urban enviroment and the upgrade system for the suit.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Jblade posted:

What the gently caress, we went over 20 years waiting for something like this and we're suddenly dealing with two fan made ports and a new official one? I'm glad to be spoiled for choice, but man. Gonna try it out, and might as well try out RedNukem too despite it not having some of the nice RedneckGDX extras.

Edit: Quick look, seems pretty good but something about it feels weirdly slow, both mouse and movement-wise. I bumped up the mouse sensitivity but will probably do so a bit more, and turned on autorun, but it still feels a little weird. Probably nothing though. How do I get Cryptic Passage and mods working?

catlord fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Feb 12, 2019

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah I guess the downside here is now I don't really need to buy the nightdive version unless it has some really cool features I don't know about

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

i played trespasser many years after its original release, when my dad bought it for me from poundland. it has a lot of flaws, but it felt genuinely epic and spooky to play in a way that very very few games do.

The Research Indicates let's play also remains the most enjoyable video of its kind I've seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oepl6lL6kK0&t=625s

Seven years I've been waiting for anything as well made. God bless these dead gay forums and all the great content they've spawned.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

There's a lot I liked about Crysis 2. Alcatraz just being a human sack of hammered guts to the point where you didn't even know how much of him was even controlling the suit was gruesome but made him interesting. It also kind of worked with the silent protagonist because the "just talk" moments were made pretty understdandable by the fact that you may not have had a pair of working lungs. The visuals were amazing, using scale and distance tricks to create some dizzying views of the city. The last bit where you're in this floating segment of the city on top of the mothership looked especially rad.

I like how they handled humans vs. Ceph in the later parts. The Marines were in over their head but weren't inept and were able to fight back. The soldiers in the city were wary of you but they didn't do that obnoxious thing where you save a hundred of them just to have them respond with "I don't trust you" or "We didn't need your help/You got in our way."

The Ceph just kind of create a problem in Crysis where stealth gameplay is really hard to do without humanoid enemies, though.

EDIT: NVM I shot my troubles.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 13, 2019

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Alcatraz is still conscious in Crysis 2 and the novel confirms that, there's some Ship of Theseus thing at the end where him and Prophet's memories merge together to ~~form a new being~~ and all the philosophical implications that come from that.

Not that it matters since the tie-in novels to 3 and the game itself retconned/threw all that away. That's what happens when you have no idea what you want your (now dead) franchise to be after 3.5 games.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

site posted:

Yeah I guess the downside here is now I don't really need to buy the nightdive version unless it has some really cool features I don't know about
The biggest new feature in the Night Dive version, IIRC (someone can correct me on this) is that the actors and weapons have been exported out to external, moddable scripts, allowing for custom monsters and such. Also, the online play will probably be pretty good if Turok 2 was any indication.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Give Blood enemies Ion Maiden style locational damage and you might have the second best old-school FPS.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

DatonKallandor posted:

Give Blood enemies Ion Maiden style locational damage and you might have the second best old-school FPS.

don't they already kinda-sorta have it? i know you can pop zombie heads with headshots.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I believe that's a semi-random death event you can't actually influence. I checked the Blood Wiki hoping they'd explain it more, but alas. Does anybody know how that actually works?

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

catlord posted:

I believe that's a semi-random death event you can't actually influence. I checked the Blood Wiki hoping they'd explain it more, but alas. Does anybody know how that actually works?

Random chance (of 16384 out of a random 32bit integer) for any normal death. Out of anyone here when asking how Blood works, I'd be a pretty safe bet given my job. ;)

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Feb 13, 2019

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

verbal enema posted:

Dhalgren was a good book to have in jail

i read times square red times square blue and that guy hosed A Lot

bought dhalgren months ago but i've barely cracked it :negative:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
its such a good book

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Rocket Pan posted:

Random chance (of 16384 out of a random 32bit integer) for any normal death. Out of anyone here when asking how Blood works, I'd be a pretty safe bet given my job. ;)

Is there an exploding head death for the cultists that only happens very rarely? I'm sure I saw it once and then it never happened again.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Rocket Pan posted:

Neat, thanks!

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Flannelette posted:

Is there an exploding head death for the cultists that only happens very rarely? I'm sure I saw it once and then it never happened again.

Seems to be a negative. There's references to spawning blood chunks but no head object from their code or any of the shared code. The player on the other hand can in Bloodbath.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

Flannelette posted:

I've never seen that. In fact most enemies in Blood don't gib at all even when direct hit with TNT or napalm.

I just played through all of Blood and the expansions a few weeks ago, unless gibbing is something that GDX changes.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."
I might have to actually commit to playing Crysis 3 with the cool story stuff happening in it. Is it worth picking up at this point?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Picked up Amid Evil again. I was two or three episodes in when I put it down previously.

The visual design continues to be extraordinary, but the actual gameplay feels terrible most of the time, largely due to the enemy design. I basically can't proceed without savescumming because the speed of enemy attacks/projectiles, compared with my reaction time, mean that a lot of these ambushes will leave my screen flashing red almost before I can react unless I have foreknowledge of which weapon to have out and where to be shooting it. This is on Medium difficulty. I'd chalk it up to me getting old and bad at video games, but I had to crank DO4M up to Nightmare before it felt anywhere near this tediously difficult, and even then the fun still outweighed the tedium.

Also I learned that if you quicksave on the moving platforms in some of the jumping puzzles, loading it will make you fall because the platform won't be there anymore which was pretty cool.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

JerryLee posted:

Picked up Amid Evil again. I was two or three episodes in when I put it down previously.

The visual design continues to be extraordinary, but the actual gameplay feels terrible most of the time, largely due to the enemy design. I basically can't proceed without savescumming because the speed of enemy attacks/projectiles, compared with my reaction time, mean that a lot of these ambushes will leave my screen flashing red almost before I can react unless I have foreknowledge of which weapon to have out and where to be shooting it. This is on Medium difficulty. I'd chalk it up to me getting old and bad at video games, but I had to crank DO4M up to Nightmare before it felt anywhere near this tediously difficult, and even then the fun still outweighed the tedium.

Also I learned that if you quicksave on the moving platforms in some of the jumping puzzles, loading it will make you fall because the platform won't be there anymore which was pretty cool.

:confused:

What enemy types are giving you difficulty? I’ve noticed the stone heads being jerks for blindsiding you and the spikey balls are just fast and tough enough to make them a pain to deal with, but mostly the sound cues are good enough to give you the time to react.

The sword is a great weapon to default to unless you’re in Sacred Path or Forges, it’s perfect for taking out those hordes of melee enemies the game likes to throw at you. Voltride is good too, though honestly I’m not accurate enough to use it properly and it guzzles mana like a firehose guzzles water.

What’s your FOV set to? I spent years thinking I’d just gotten bad at FPSs before I realised the problem was having no peripheral vision, and that that was solveable.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

DatonKallandor posted:

which is the best in your opinion? i tend to rank blood as the tip top of the build engine games, but I dunno where i'd put it vs doom, quake, and heretic

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

JerryLee posted:

This is the reason I prefer Dusk over Amid Evil. I still love AE and don't think it's terrible, but the way some enemies deal damage bugs me, especially that thing in episode 5 that sprays spikes at you. It's easy enough to avoid by keeping your distance, but even on medium difficulty that thing can kill you in less than 2 seconds at full hp. You can't strafe around it, and it's almost certain death if you catch one up close. The difficulty seems to fluctuate throughout just based on how fast enemies attack. Some bosses took me multiple tries, the latest boss took me less than 2 minutes on my first try. It just kinda died before I knew what its attack patterns were

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

which is the best in your opinion? i tend to rank blood as the tip top of the build engine games, but I dunno where i'd put it vs doom, quake, and heretic

you already got the order right in your post

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Does anyone have any tips of really good deathmatch maps for Doom/Doom 2?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I like the new Amid Evil episode a lot all except for the boss. Holy poo poo that boss sucks. It's not even really hard or anything it's just the wooooooorst.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Maybe they will so a last balance past for AE once they have all the episodes, before launch.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

So I actually re-played Crysis a year or two ago when I built my new PC and was surprised how much I still enjoyed it, even the alien bits. The tension is just right, the story moved along nicely, and speed running into a group of Koreans, grabbing some poor bastard, and then tossing him at “MAXIMUM STRENGTH “ into his buddies as the building blows up behind them never got old.

Also for many of the objectives you are given this huge leeway in how you tackle them. Attack from almost any angle, take out the Koreans one by one up close using stealth. Or just load up a rocket launcher and cause maximum chaos. :black101:

Also the game still looks gorgeous even over 10 years later. I wish developers still took time to make their environments feel alive. Palm trees sway in the breeze and you can knock them down during fire-fights, and little turtles and crabs can be seen scurrying about. Modern FPS environments feel so stale by comparison. :smith:

I haven’t actually played Warhead yet - is the goon consensus that it is superior?

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Feb 13, 2019

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It's been a long time since I've played warhead but from what i remember it was a lot less "open" than crysis 1 but you get to play as the Australian guy who has a way more personality than nomad

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I preferred Warhead to Crysis - I don't necessarily know if it's "better" but to me it had a tighter pace and more consistent feel, plus one of the top three set pieces in any game ever (that loving train fight) followed by some awesome imagery during the final showdown

Edit: now I'm remembering my fondness for the train levels in CoJ Gunslinger, Soldier of Fortune and UT, so maybe I'm just big into trains?

DoombatINC fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 13, 2019

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
The suit voice announcing MAXIMUM STRENGTH is the Crysis equivalent of Doomguy's face in the HUD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."
Warhead is a strong game. It gets Alien-y quicker, so if you enjoyed that then it’s a good shout.

Does Crysis still work on steam if you’ve installed it 3 times before? I remember reading about the DRM it had in 2007/8 PC Gamer.