Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Mike Lester's from North Georgia, too; I have no doubt about your assumption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Mike Lester has photos of family gatherings with hoods on.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Crabtree posted:

Mike Lester has photos of family gatherings with hoods on.

Sure it's not bandages?

For he beats his wife, you see :newlol:

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Jurgan posted:

Phase?

Also, the most frustrating thing about this read is the layout. The panels are not evenly shaped, so I have to guess what order to read them, and context doesn’t help much since nothing makes sense anyway.

I was going to post exactly the same thing. I don't know what order to read them in, and the story makes literally the same amount of sense no matter what I do.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jurgan posted:

Phase?

Also, the most frustrating thing about this read is the layout. The panels are not evenly shaped, so I have to guess what order to read them, and context doesn’t help much since nothing makes sense anyway.

Reading it on a phone is especially painful, but on the bright side it often doesn't matter if you read them out of order

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Seriously, Ted Rall. Please. At least ADMIT you're a hack and resort to panel numbering.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I refuse to read the Rall comic but I just wanted to say that his actual composition and overuse of text makes me want to die and I am just scrolling past it.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

The more he fantasized about murdering her, the more his pity turned into lust.

It's just going to get worse, isn't it?

Anyways I took almost more time parsing how to read the first page than actually reading it, that's a good sign. It's good to see Rall so happy that he gets to drop f-bombs all over because his protagonist is a lovely little puke. Also this really files down the teeth of the Party, Rallstone's done how many felonies so far and no cop has even looked at him.

Edit: also one panel specifically says everybody's life experience is made to be one-to-one, but he didn't watch the super I mean Ultrabowl when that other guy did. This dystopia really doesn't seem to affect Rallstone at all.

KillerQueen fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Feb 12, 2019

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

KillerQueen posted:

The more he fantasized about murdering her, the more his pity turned into lust.

Ahhhhhhh. You gently caress! I had to read it to see what you meant. I had to. You gently caress! You made me look at the cursed image.

Christ he’s terrible lmao.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

Ahhhhhhh. You gently caress! I had to read it to see what you meant. I had to. You gently caress! You made me look at the cursed image.

Christ he’s terrible lmao.

We have such sights to show you, Lightning Knight :unsmigghh:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

I refuse to read the Rall comic

Man up.

You're a mod you see worse than this every day.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

Man up.

Death of the Author, there is no correct way to consume media.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Ramos posted:

Death of the Author, there is no correct way to consume media.

If we are discussing Rall, then "in the hearth" is the objectively correct way for the media to be consumed.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

I dont know posted:

If we are discussing Rall, then "in the hearth" is the objectively correct way for the media to be consumed.

That's insensitive to the fire.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I dont know posted:

Don't, the fumes are a known cause of mediocrity and hallucinations of A.Hitler.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

VitalSigns posted:

Man up.

Yes but usually people’s terrible opinions don’t come with bad art.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Katt posted:

Arguing infanticide while the other side argues abortion is probably going to backfire on the GOP in the long run as people remain staunchly opposed to infanticide but grow lukewarm on abortion.
It's because of the recent late-term abortion laws, which Republicans have successfully turned into "Mothers suddenly decide to kill their babies at 8 months and 30 days just because they decided one day 'nah, I don't want it after all'." This has obviously gained traction with the anti-abortion Evangelical crowd, but also with those who just haven't looked into it or thought about it much, which is a lot of people. I do not think it will backfire on them, because these are the people they are targeting with it, and it could very well be what saves them in 2020.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Imagine being an artist and wanting to fill half of your drawings with :words:

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Pants Donkey posted:

Imagine being an artist and wanting to fill half of your drawings with :words:

But enough about first dog on the moon.

The ridiculous amount of captions is a direct result of Rall being a poo poo artist. If he could actually draw decipherable action and faces with a level of detail that the reader could see emotion, then he wouldn't need to caption every single panel to explain what to the read what they are even looking at. I can think of a number of comics I have read that contain long stretches entirely without words, able to convey plot and characterization entirely visually. Rall may as well not even draw anything, the pictures convey no meaning. You could delete them entirely without effecting the storytelling at all.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

It was going so well until the cartoonist put an accurate one at the end.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Somfin posted:

Enough about death! Let's talk about what gets Rall randy! Also, CW: lots of homophobic slurs.

2024 read-along: The doozy

This particular set of pages is a motherfucker and a half to parse. I would encourage anyone who is just reading my summaries to give this one a shot just to see the sorts of layout issues we're dealing with. There is zero flow here. And, as it happens, this particular set of pages reveals nothing beyond Rallston is a lazy loving snitch so this summary is just going to attempt a literal translation of what's actually happening. Also the art, particularly the face art, is horrific on these pages. If anyone can tell me what the gently caress is going on with the woman's face in the first two frames, please do so, I can't actually parse the hair-eyebrow-eyelid mess on her forehead.

Rallston, who we last saw on a train, is back at the riot now; explicitly, he's returned to the area where the riot was taking place in order to creep on a woman. He fantasizes about murdering her, and as he does he begins to lust after her. He blames mass media for these feelings. Then he fucks off to a store and buys something, apparently a bootleg, which was cause for alarm a couple pages back. Then he goes back outside and sees "The Boss Guy" staring at him and, later, in his apartment, reports that guy to the secret police for the crime of looking at him and presumably being a "human being." Again, Rall loving indulges whenever he gets a chance to put offensive words in Rallston's captiosn. I think this is the S.V.P. from earlier, but that due was described as "burly" and I don't know if this guy fits that description. The thought police apparently have the man's DNA by some sort of magic and are willing to arrest the man based entirely on Rallston's report.

This is still the same day.

Apparently reporting that guy to the cops made Rallston feel like rewarding himself with a visit to a cafe / bar, where he flashes back to a conversation he had once where he didn't like sports and some guy who looks like Brian from My War With Brian called him a "fag" for being different and not into sports. This is underneath a massive, frame-crushing caption saying that everyone is the same these days and Rallston doesn't talk to people. Apparently the place he went serves "beverages" that no-one likes but everyone drinks them anyway; note that once again Rall avoids committing to anything like specifics in favour of generics. 1984: Crumbly, greasy chocolate rations; 2024: overpriced, bitter "beverages." Rallston may or may not have ordered something; we're already cutting away from that scene.

Rallston goes back to work, checks his email, and Rall gets a chance to name-drop two fat college lit books that he might have actually read. Rallston reports the crime of sending him stuff, his company's webmaster finds the person responsible, and Rall makes a super tasteful joke about turning the guy into soap, but he sticks it in the mouth of an unnamed security officer so it isn't Rallston saying it.

Rallston is directly, consciously responsible for two people being sent to the thought police, one for the crime of looking at him, the other for the crime of sending him literature. This is the same day that he was involved in an attempted lynching, the same day that he went back to the site of that attempted lynching in order to fantasize about murdering a woman and through that fantasy learn that he wanted to gently caress her.

That woman is 2024's version of Julia.

What I don't get is that the guy Rallston notices watching him does not have facial hair, while the guy who gets arrested has a mustache. Are they supposed to be the same guy?

Also I note that Rall says his murder fantasy are based on pity.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

MelvinBison posted:

I had to double check, because this is a lot to take in, but how is Rallston not dead? If you can get arrested for basically nothing, you'd think impersonating his boss in an illicit chat room would get him dragged off in pretty short order.

KillerQueen posted:

Also this really files down the teeth of the Party, Rallstone's done how many felonies so far and no cop has even looked at him.

Rallston's got protagonist armour like you wouldn't loving believe.

Cat Mattress posted:

What I don't get is that the guy Rallston notices watching him does not have facial hair, while the guy who gets arrested has a mustache. Are they supposed to be the same guy?

Naw, he gets two guys arrested. First guy is allegedly looking at him in a gay way after the race riot and gets reported to the cops; second guy is sending him books via email and gets picked up by his work security. Neither of them have names.

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

Cat Mattress posted:

Not always, sometimes they are based on being bullied in high school.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

This reminds me of trying to read a book that opens with a dream sequence, and I'm trying to parse all of this psychological symbolism for a character I don't know anything about, and then I get frustrated and just get past it and figure it will make sense later but resent the author making me sit through that. Only the whole book is like this, isn't it?

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet
Hey, guess who has an instagram!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
The thing that distinguishes Rall from, say, Squires, is that his captions and text, ostensibly a crutch to convey material not easily (or skillfully) conveyed visually, is also ineffective at conveying information or humor.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Vib Rib posted:

Someone pointed it out earlier, but yeah, "infanticide" is the new rightwing buzzword sent by marching order. Suddenly they're all using it instead of "abortion", in every place "abortion" might normally be used.

"Infanticide" just lets them more freely indulge in their demented abortion fantasies. Last night at his Klan rally in El Paso, Trump said Northam supported: "a newborn baby [coming] out into the world, and wrap the baby, make the baby comfortable, & then talk to the mother & talk to the father and then execute the baby. Execute the baby!"

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

In the future, the Earth is going to be a scorching desert of hellfire.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

GREEN NEW DEAL!
GREEN NEW DEAL!
GREEN NEW DEAL!

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I’m always glad when I don’t understand the right wing ones, it lets me know my brain is only mostly mush.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Green New Deal won't be enough to stop climate change, AGC

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Don't worry, folks, it gets a lot easier to follow once we hit the interminable sex scenes. Rall was on that manosphere crank way before any of us were aware of it. Y'all wanna see 2001 Rall's opinion about feminism? It's real familiar!

JaggerMcDagger posted:

Hey, guess who has an instagram!

It's great to have you back in the thread, Jagger. Seriously. :unsmith:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

:psyduck:

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

At this point how long until Stumpfuss tries advocating a boycott of Skittles?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

"Society and media are indoctrinating kids into being gay/trans. What a bunch of clowns." The cotton candy is rainbow-patterned.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
I'm pretty sure that that comic just is a weird way to get to "The artist believes trans people are pedophiles."

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

How does he keep up with the news like that?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

This sounds like a mod challenge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Lightning Knight posted:

Welcome to the thread, newbie!