Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

My friend has a newer Subaru with the EyeSight stuff. The adaptive cruise control is nice and works well, but the lane keeping is kind of obnoxious and beeps at you constantly especially in inclement weather or bad roads when it can't figure out what's going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I just remembered that I drove a Forester with that stuff one time. It insisted on keeping the car perfectly between the lines on the highway and I didn't realize it was happening, so it felt like I was fighting a constant cross wind.

On the Honda, it'll let you drift, but it will vibrate the wheel when you get too far over. It's less obtrusive to me, but, like I said, it gets tricked with weird lighting.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
This is why I prefer the system in my dad's 13 year old M35 which just beeps are you in any annoying way when you get too close to the line.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Chaitai posted:

My wife and I are trying to decide between either a used Forester or CRV. Does anyone have experience with the EyeSight stuff on the Forester or the Honda Sensing on the CRV to tell me if it is worth it or not? A lot more options are opened up for both cars if we opt out of those features, but my wife seems pretty insistent on them.

e: We have a 2.5 year old and one on the way, which is why my wife thinks these features are so important.

Honda Sensing in the CR-V is absolutely fantastic. It makes long commutes so much more bearable. Adapative cruise works great. Lane Keeping Assist is amazing on highways. Emergency Breaking could easily save your life (or just save you thousands) preventing a crash over the 10+ life of the vehicle.

It is absolutely worth the extra 2 or 3 grand they charge. I cannot state enough once you start driving a car with all these features you wont want to go back, just for the convenience/luxury feel of them, let alone the fact they could very easily end up saving your life some day.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i turn that poo poo off

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
I've said it before and I'll continue to be annoying, good adaptive cruise (working down to 0 MPH and starting up again) is A+++++++ and once you use it you'll immediately wish every car on the road had it. You'll instantly know that it is the future of driving. If every car came equipped and idiot drivers used it, it'd single handedly reduce traffic jams in cities by a huge margin. Not to mention the many other benefits to not having to focus so much on the speed of the car in front of you, which is a large portion of the attention required during driving.

I work in the tech industry in a different space than cars, but if I was in the automotive sector I'd aim to spend a ton of my time making ACC tech cheaper, more accessible, easier to use, and finding ways to encourage buyers to use it. No doubt many new car buyers have it but will never care to read their car's manual or be aware that the feature is there.

Something Offal fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 12, 2019

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Hello, friends. I've been entertaining getting a new (used) vehicle. I'm currently driving a 2008 Chevy Cobalt LS. It's been a fine car, gets decent mileage and no major problems but a)it's getting up there in years and b) it was a total baseline model and it would be nice to have some modern conveniences like power locks/windows, and cruise control.

I'm looking for an SUV, AWD acceptable but actual 4WD better as I do like to do some outdoorsy poo poo and it also snows here in the winter. It would be nice to go snowboarding and still be able to drive up the canyon when it's 4WD/chains only. I'm a single person so I don't need to haul a family.

Budget: I'd like to keep it around 10k
Brand: Don't care
Use: Personal, mostly in-town with some freeway and also above-mentioned recreational activities like camping/fishing/snowsports.
Amenities: Just basics, I don't need navigation or anything fancy. Although heated seats would be keen.

I can sit and wait for a good deal, my current car is fine I'm just gathering ideas and planning budget stuff.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Cars with smaller engines on balance turn higher RPMs at motorway speeds. If you want a quieter and lazier ride, you need a bigger engine, which goes against your fuel economy question. You will have to balance these two to some degree.

Is this still true of newer turbocharged engines? My current 1.2 isn't, and I think a lot of the newer 1.0-1.2 turbo engines sound both more economical and more powerful.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

B/C segment stuff

This is super helpful, I'd never heard of the segment classification before (only stuff like 'city car', 'supermini' etc. which I suppose maps to the segments pretty well but at least this is a little less subjective?)

Nitrox posted:

I love the Punto, but you're definitely pushing it's estimated lifespan. How about Honda Fit/Jazz? The back seats fold down for a surprising amount of storage. If insurance is important, you may want to get a quote list from your insurer in this particular segment and see what fits your budget. Shop backwards, so to speak

Yeah, it's definitely dying a slow death. The back windows no longer wind up/down (and are permanently stuck about 3mm open), the back doors don't open without pushing on a specific part of the door as you pull the handle, the front passenger tyre always deflates much faster than the others despite 2 fresh tyres since I've owned the car, the heating fans cut out regularly until I faff with wires under the glove box, the rear window washer doesn't work anymore, I'm pretty sure it's meant to have a thing you lift to shift into reverse so you can't do it by accident but I can just shift into reverse without doing that anyway, and (very occasionally) the electric power steering doesn't kick in when I turn the car on, so I have to turn it off and back on.

I've now got a list of cars to investigate, and once I've had a look I'll go to a dealership and check out the ones I shortlist. Thanks goons.

Itchy Tony Manero
Mar 29, 2010

Surprise T Rex posted:

I'm sick of my 2008 Fiat Grande Punto 1.2.

Hey Punto buddy! Just chipping in to say I traded in my 2009 Grande Punto 1.4 a year and a half ago and got a new Honda HR-V which sits in the small crossover category you mentioned you might be interested in. Based on a quick glance at AutoTrader, £11-12K should buy you a relatively low mileage (30–50K mi) 2015/16 model, a couple of listings even included satnav. Maybe worth checking out?

Noise levels may not be quite what you’re hoping for (definitely better than the Punto though) and I have no clue about UK insurance fees, but otherwise it’s checking your boxes nicely – including cup holders. Ours has served us well as a small family car, and it’ll make a solid commuter for sure. It’s not a particularly fast car by any means but does just fine at highway speeds (the limit here is up to 75 mph in the summer) even with the CVT that reviewers tend to call docile or sluggish, among other less nice adjectives. The manual transmission is supposed to be nice and the diesel should be slightly peppier than the petrol. Accommodates a variety of child seats nicely, but I’d definitely look elsewhere if you’re planning on more than two kids. Even two rear-facing child seats at the same time may be a stretch if one of you is really tall and needs a lot of leg room in the front.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Surprise T Rex posted:

Is this still true of newer turbocharged engines? My current 1.2 isn't, and I think a lot of the newer 1.0-1.2 turbo engines sound both more economical and more powerful.

this is a good point, the new small displacement turbos make quite decent power - i should have said torque output rather than engine size!

you can do better than the HR-V sorry glitterbob

Chaitai
Apr 15, 2006
Nope. I got nothin' witty to go here.

College Slice

Something Offal posted:

I've said it before and I'll continue to be annoying, good adaptive cruise (working down to 0 MPH and starting up again) is A+++++++ and once you use it you'll immediately wish every car on the road had it. You'll instantly know that it is the future of driving. If every car came equipped and idiot drivers used it, it'd single handedly reduce traffic jams in cities by a huge margin. Not to mention the many other benefits to not having to focus so much on the speed of the car in front of you, which is a large portion of the attention required during driving.

I work in the tech industry in a different space than cars, but if I was in the automotive sector I'd aim to spend a ton of my time making ACC tech cheaper, more accessible, easier to use, and finding ways to encourage buyers to use it. No doubt many new car buyers have it but will never care to read their car's manual or be aware that the feature is there.

Thanks everyone for the info on the Sensing and EyeSight systems. We are going to look at some Foresters and CR-Vs this week and will make sure those features are included. My wife wins, yet again.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Something Offal posted:

This was a very welcome surprise on my Camry. I had no idea it existed, and the first slow crawl on I-77 through the tunnels of Virginia made me a believer. A+++++++ does not contain enough plusses.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Nocheez posted:

This was a very welcome surprise on my Camry. I had no idea it existed, and the first slow crawl on I-77 through the tunnels of Virginia made me a believer. A+++++++ does not contain enough plusses.

I'm glad you liked it on the Camry, I could be wrong but unfortunately I believe Toyota still uses a poo poo-tier system that shuts off at ~20 MPH, which eliminates a huge benefit that is ACC in stop/go city traffic.

I used it on a new Jeep Grand Cherokee, so the Chrysler system, and it was totally awesome. Stops a perfect distance from the car in front of you too, exactly the same distance I'd leave myself, room to get out of a situation without backing up. You don't even have to tap the accelerator if the car in front starts up again within a minute or so.

It's very similar to the feeling I got when I used my first smartphone. It was just like, "oh, so this is clearly the future then. awesome"

Something Offal fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 12, 2019

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
The ACC on my 18 JGC allows you to adjust the follow distance which I assume most do. It also has a brake warning if traffic stops severely that mutes the radio, chimes and the entire middle display shows BRAKE!

For the first month I used it, I still had the tendency to hover my foot over the brake. I'm still amazed at the systems engineering that went in to it.

Also, imagine my surprise when I engaged regular cruise control instead of ACC inadvertently and thought "hmm, traffic is stopping, why isn't the truck slowi..OH poo poo". Much like the first time you drive away with a gas nozzle still in, you quickly learn to double check so there isn't a second time.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Motronic posted:

The real comedy option looks more like this:

(and I love it so much)
True AI answer is a lifted Miata on mudders, but since the OP specified 4 seats it would be a lifted Mazda 3 or a lifted AMC Eagle on mudders.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CannonFodder posted:

True AI answer is a lifted Miata on mudders, but since the OP specified 4 seats it would be a lifted Mazda 3 or a lifted AMC Eagle on mudders.

I'm sorry I've failed all of you.

I'll go look for an Eagle as soon as I can. But I'm not sure how I get fahf hunner horespowah into it. (of course I do - the answer to that is always jam an LSx into everything and build the poo poo out of it)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

poo poo you don't even need an LS, an AMC 390 or 401 with an appropriate amount of boost should get you there and be More Authentic

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Something Offal posted:

I'm glad you liked it on the Camry, I could be wrong but unfortunately I believe Toyota still uses a poo poo-tier system that shuts off at ~20 MPH, which eliminates a huge benefit that is ACC in stop/go city traffic.

My Camry goes to 0 mph. You have to press the resume button or tap the gas pedal to get it moving again after stopping.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Nocheez posted:

My Camry goes to 0 mph. You have to press the resume button or tap the gas pedal to get it moving again after stopping.

Gotcha, that sounds like the Correct Way. My knowledge on Toyota comes from Corolla, either they updated it recently across the line or the cheaper models get the crappier system. Camry is a great car.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Something Offal posted:

Gotcha, that sounds like the Correct Way. My knowledge on Toyota comes from Corolla, either they updated it recently across the line or the cheaper models get the crappier system. Camry is a great car.

I think it must be a recent thing, because I don't think any of the Toyotas I rented have had it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Something Offal posted:

I rented a new Corolla and the radar cruise control worked like every other radar cruise control.
Also, how does a car have that and no android auto in 2018?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

nm posted:

I rented a new Corolla and the radar cruise control worked like every other radar cruise control.
Also, how does a car have that and no android auto in 2018?

Toyota is driving a hard bargain with Google about who gets to monetize your data. Other carmakers are just rolling over.

Itchy Tony Manero
Mar 29, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you can do better than the HR-V sorry glitterbob

Yeah, in hindsight I have to agree it's probably not groundbreaking enough to justify the £2K bump it would mean for OP's budget. And £10K will buy them a lot more if they shop for hatchbacks rather than small crossovers.

But just for the sake of argument, if a small crossover is an avenue they're willing to explore, it’s worth mentioning that they're not created equal. Many similarly priced contenders (e.g. the CX-3 and Niro) have more cramped back seats, which renders them less practical family cars further down the road.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

Toyota is driving a hard bargain with Google about who gets to monetize your data. Other carmakers are just rolling over.

They just get it by adding WiFi hotspots to the car

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

GlitterBob posted:

Yeah, in hindsight I have to agree it's probably not groundbreaking enough to justify the £2K bump it would mean for OP's budget. And £10K will buy them a lot more if they shop for hatchbacks rather than small crossovers.

But just for the sake of argument, if a small crossover is an avenue they're willing to explore, it’s worth mentioning that they're not created equal. Many similarly priced contenders (e.g. the CX-3 and Niro) have more cramped back seats, which renders them less practical family cars further down the road.

Usually the regular, non CUV version of a vehicle is a lot better value unless you really, really, require AWD, a little bit of ground clearance, and some COMMANDING DRIVING POSITION

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
So I went down the rabbit hole for a couple of days. Looked into basically every B/C segment car I could find and I've shortlisted a few to go check out at the dealer.

I'm still looking at the Fabia/Polo, not sure I can put my finger on it but I wasn't a big fan of the Clio from checking it out online but it's also probably worth a look in person. For bigger cars, I'm considering the Honda Jazz or a 2014-ish Ford Focus. I've also looked at the Octavia because it seems to be sort of 'Fabia, but bigger'.

I feel like the Jazz or Focus will win out in the end. The Jazz purely on the strength of being the most practical, with the 'magic seats' thing. It doesn't look very exciting but looks like it's got endless space. As much as I tell myself that aesthetics/gadgets/sportiness doesn't matter, I'm probably leaning towards the Focus because it's still bigger and more practical than my Punto, but for under 10k you can get one in pretty high trim levels that include a ton of fancy equipment I didn't even know existed until a few days ago.

Time to book in at some dealers I think, before I over-research and end up expanding the list again.

Surprise T Rex fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Feb 14, 2019

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Surprise T Rex posted:

Time to book in at some dealers I think, before I over-research and end up expanding the list again.

It might be worth going to one of the car supermarkets like Cargiant or Motorpoint who would have a range of different makes and models, if you're close enough. A girlfriend a while back got a VW from Cargiant and they seemed fine.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The Focus is a good choice and you will be happy with it.

The magic seats on the Fit/Jazz are pretty rad and space-maximizing but it's still a smaller car than the Focus.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
My wife's coworker got her car smashed into the other night. Her insurance didn't include GAP and she owes a couple thousand on that car. She can't afford a new car and is having to ride to work on uber stuff.

My wife and I want to help her find a car since she see's that she is really trying and is having a hard time. So I've been checking out craigslist and carguru to find a cheap fill in car that she can get to work that will last until she can pays off her loan on the old car. This is in the Austin TX area.

So far I've found a 2007 kia optima with 106k on it

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...sting=230702500

A ford focus with 150k from 2004

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...sting=227853238

And another focus with 120k from 2004

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...sting=231932681

I also found a auction house for cars that is copart.com that are requesting an ID to be able to register and bid on hail damaged cars.

Anyone have any advice on this? We are just trying to help get her a car that can get her to and from work until she can get out from underwater on her last loan.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The cheaper Focus needs a state inspection and has a CEL on, it won’t pass, so she can’t get it registered. Who knows how much work it’ll need.

The SVT is interesting choice but as a performance car (of sorts) you’ll want to ensure it hasn’t been beaten on. Can she drive stick?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

The SVT is interesting choice but as a performance car (of sorts) you’ll want to ensure it hasn’t been beaten on. Can she drive stick?

It is an absolute guarantee that at this point, any SVT Focus that is "cheap" has been utterly flogged by at least one previous owner, probably more.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

SVT hard pass. the focus SVT is a great car but it is the performance version and has a number of quirks (dual mass clutch, weird gearbox, some other stuff), and is likely to have been driven hard.

The ZTS - zetec engine - is not nearly as good as the duratec which was standard from 2005 on, and the CEL is on.

edit: wildly, savagely beaten

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

edit: wildly, savagely beaten

Much like that car has been :rimshot:

Not gonna lie, I still kinda want one, but it'd have to be that mythical unicorn that is still owned by (and cared for by) the original owner after all these years.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I mean that SVT looks pretty clean....but you know someone has had some fun in it

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I would maybe buy that SVT but it is a lousy choice for a lady that is a few grand underwater looking for an A-B car.

The Focus in general is a good idea just get a Duratec.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
That's a pretty sweet SVT, I think that interior is nicer visually than kimbo's S65 AMG. The whole "5000 rpm at 65 mph" and 20 mpg thing would be annoying for a commuter car but I kind of want it?

EDIT: Well I'm buying a loving Evo again as soon as I start working full time.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

what you really want is the SVT Contour

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what you really want is the SVT Contour

That's a funny way of spelling V8 SHO.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

That's a funny way of spelling V8 SHO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Buying a mid 2000s Elantra seems like a pretty good choice if her budget is only 2 grand