Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

The siren song of the train can be deadly.

E:
:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

There's a pretty easy way to fix most of the problem with getting merked on the railroad tracks: take your loving earbuds out when you're doing something dangerous like walking on railroad tracks.

Won't save you from a detached ghost car, but I figure there's a lower probability of encountering one of those than an actual loud as gently caress Amtrak that you couldn't hear because you were listening to your loving anime openings playlist on full-bore.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Welp: https://apnews.com/783b336c787a42fd9148986786ee73cf

quote:

California governor pulls plug on LA-SF high-speed train

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — California Gov. Gavin Newsom announced Tuesday he’s abandoning a plan to build a high-speed rail line between Los Angeles and San Francisco, a project with an estimated cost that has ballooned to $77 billion.

“Let’s be real,” Newsom said in his first State of the State address. “The current project, as planned, would cost too much and respectfully take too long. There’s been too little oversight and not enough transparency.”

The idea long championed by Newsom’s predecessor, Jerry Brown, is years behind schedule. The latest estimate for completion is 2033.

Newsom, though, said he wants to finish construction that’s already under way on a segment of the high-speed train through California’s Central Valley, arguing it will revitalize the economically depressed region. He’s also replacing Brown’s head of the state board that oversees the project and pledged more accountability for contractors that run over on costs.

Newsom also said the state faces “hard decisions that are coming due” on clean water, housing and homelessness. He rebuked President Donald Trump once again on border security, highlighting his decision to withdraw most of the state’s National Guard troops from the Southern border.

:rip: High speed rail, killed by *check notes* the Democratic governor of California.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
ah yes, let me take high speed rail to loving bakersfield

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Loot at all this bullshit.
Who lets something like this happen?
not a hot day for private passenger rail either

https://twitter.com/rjwile/status/1095412734844436480

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

donoteat posted:

not a hot day for private passenger rail either

https://twitter.com/rjwile/status/1095412734844436480

It's not surprising really because it doesn't really go anywhere currently. If you make it to Miami there are at least modest ways to get around like the MetroMover and Metrorail but Ft. Lauderdale and West Palm don't have anything like that. So you get off the train and welp I guess I need a car, may as well have driven.
The Orlando plan was at least worthwhile because you can get to Disney and stuff from the airport which I think it would have used. I'm not sure if they still plan on making that but I wouldn't surprised if it gets shelved.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

:killing:

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Warmachine posted:

There's a pretty easy way to fix most of the problem with getting merked on the railroad tracks: take your loving earbuds out when you're doing something dangerous like walking on railroad tracks.

Won't save you from a detached ghost car, but I figure there's a lower probability of encountering one of those than an actual loud as gently caress Amtrak that you couldn't hear because you were listening to your loving anime openings playlist on full-bore.

Yeah but if you get hit by a ghost car listening to anime songs you get reincarnated in a fantasy world with magic powers

deetron69
Jan 18, 2005

Danann posted:

:rip: High speed rail, killed by *check notes* the Democratic governor of California.

it is a sad day... for trains

e: I guess now we can fantasize about the project being restarted in the future as a maglev that might actually make the trip to SF shorter than the flight?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Danann posted:

this rail road was always a stupid rear end idea. build an actual rail network first and have the state operate it instead of the insane publicly-owned privately-operated poo poo that's common place in California

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

net work error posted:

It's not surprising really because it doesn't really go anywhere currently. If you make it to Miami there are at least modest ways to get around like the MetroMover and Metrorail but Ft. Lauderdale and West Palm don't have anything like that. So you get off the train and welp I guess I need a car, may as well have driven.
The Orlando plan was at least worthwhile because you can get to Disney and stuff from the airport which I think it would have used. I'm not sure if they still plan on making that but I wouldn't surprised if it gets shelved.

Yeah I took the bright line to Ft. Lauderdale expecting to save time and or money. Then I had to Uber to the airport. I would have been better off doing almost anything else to get to the airport.

deetron69
Jan 18, 2005
Looks like Gavin Newsom is backpedaling a bit on the whole CHSR-killing thing. Still sounds committed to keeping the central valley as part of the gig, perhaps this new environmental study he's talking about can get rid of some of the other dumb stuff i.e. connecting it to Palmdale/Merced/Gilroy

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/KateAronoff/status/1096508595028537350

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Amtrak is having a BOGO Valentines Day sale so I got curious and looked up trips and was just saddened.

Trips out of Florida to New Jersey are about 28 hours each way. A trip to New Orleans (which is closer to Florida than New Jersey) is over 50 hours because of transfers required. Same with a trip to Detroit which would take about 60 hours. Also all of the tickets would cost more than a flight. Meanwhile when I went to Japan I was able to take the Shinkansen from Tokyo to Osaka which is a decent size trip (almost the distance out of Florida I think) in a few hours, much faster than driving and cheaper than a flight.

I'm curious if the train options were better out of Florida around the time of Henry Flagler but I also don't care enough to look it up.

Point is, TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
yeah the US really got the short end of the stick after WWII

all the countries that lost and were poor for a while ended up with really great public transportation because nobody could afford cars

florida is extra stupid because it didn't really get any substantial population until after a/c and cars were invented and everyone was huffing some broadacres farts so aside from like three neighborhoods in miami the whole state has no density

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
*picture of a busy but well-run urban transit hub*

density's child

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Guess we should've been owned during WWII so we could have better transit.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I think the current moment shows, if anything, we'd just rather let the poor do without.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

net work error posted:

Guess we should've been owned during WWII so we could have better transit.

hey, it's never too late!

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Depending on your definition of We,

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Train or trains?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

net work error posted:

Train or trains?

I am a train.

You are a train.

He is a train.

She is a train.

It is a train.

They are a train.

We are trains.

They are trains.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
trainx

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
when do we get more videos

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
donoteat when do we get a Bernie Sanders 2020 endorsement video

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
How much of my $1 do you actually get?

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
i think patreon takes like 20%?

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

ScrubLeague posted:

i think patreon takes like 20%?

isn't it 5%?

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Also think it's five

If it's 20, I will just send donoteat small, unmarked bills instead of the patreon thing

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Didn't the head of patreon just say that their model was "unsustainable" and they'd need to increase their take even though all they do is collect rent and run some servers?

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

That is an accurate recount of that BS, yes.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Retromancer posted:

Didn't the head of patreon just say that their model was "unsustainable" and they'd need to increase their take even though all they do is collect rent and run some servers?

patreon has a sustainable business model to make money and provide a service; they can basically operate as-is indefinitely

however, they took venture capital so if the ROI isn’t 700% quarter to quarter, they have failed

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
We had to liquidate the business in order to save it.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phone posted:

patreon has a sustainable business model to make money and provide a service; they can basically operate as-is indefinitely

however, they took venture capital so if the ROI isn’t 700% quarter to quarter, they have failed

:capitalism:
:thermidor:

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
I don't know where this goes, but some of you may enjoy:

https://mobile.twitter.com/annafifield/status/1098542102898790405

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Phone posted:

Just hear me out though.

What if we kill the goose and get all the gold from inside it

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Not empty quoting.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

finally, the swamp maoist getup I've been waiting for

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

lmao of course she wrote a fuckin book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Taintrunner posted:

finally, the swamp maoist getup I've been waiting for

If you don't kill your landlord its stolen valor.