Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

capitalism ensures efficient allocation of resources

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

this is basically an 80s level of “middle class” adjusted for inflation and locale

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

uncurable mlady posted:

this is basically an 80s level of “middle class” adjusted for inflation and locale

"i'm not rich, everything just got rich around me!"

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
that is some henry poo poo

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

that's our secret word of the day

now someone has to post the gif

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

haveblue posted:

that's our secret word of the day

now someone has to post the gif

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

honestly the only HENRY offense in there is the final line, "for the bay area we're middle-class". the middle of the bell curve out here sure loving isn't living in a 4-bedroom house and paying a nanny to take care of their kids. but they aren't really doing anything super absurd and out of touch. hiring the nanny, shopping at whole foods and going skiing over christmas are about it.

what they mean is that they have the trappings of what most people still consider a middle-class existence, which in the bay area takes $400,000/a

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
well the other thing being that the US concept of middle class is incredibly broad, hence the entire concept of HENRY coming into being

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sagebrush posted:

honestly the only HENRY offense in there is the final line, "for the bay area we're middle-class". the middle of the bell curve out here sure loving isn't living in a 4-bedroom house and paying a nanny to take care of their kids. but they aren't really doing anything super absurd and out of touch. hiring the nanny, shopping at whole foods and going skiing over christmas are about it.

what they mean is that they have the trappings of what most people still consider a middle-class existence, which in the bay area takes $400,000/a
reminds me of the brady bunch - 50 years ago, a single earner professional (architect) could support a housewife, six kids, a big house (though the kids did have to sleep three-to-a-room), a live-in cook/maid, and regular vacations (hawaii, grand canyon) and no one thought that was ridiculous

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

today, mike brady would have gone bankrupt having to buy new iphones for eight people every year

(alice would get whichever of the kids' old phones was the least broken)

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Sagebrush posted:

today, mike brady would have gone bankrupt having to buy new iphones for eight people every year

and tiger would be a labradoodle

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sagebrush posted:

their nanny is the only regular stiff in this picture

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i think this thread has inherited the curse where new posts cannot be rendered

edit: or maybe not? jfc

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Haunted thread

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it can happen temporarily to any thread, some kinda a race condition with the cache

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i wish your posts wouldn't get rendered

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
today i learned henry means high earners, not rich yet

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

graph posted:

today i learned henry means high earners, not rich yet

same

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sagebrush posted:

some further thinking makes me wonder if carol and/or mike had life insurance payouts coming from their dead spouses that made it possible for them to live above their means

and then i started imagining some sort of double double indemnity scenario making up the seamy prehistory of the show

hmm...

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Sagebrush posted:

hiring the nanny, shopping at whole foods and going skiing over christmas

lmao no, every single one of these things is upper class

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

carry on then posted:

lmao no, every single one of these things is upper class

yeah middle class people call a nanny a "babysitter"

otherwise... where do you live where skiing is some giant luxury?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

hobbesmaster posted:

where do you live that skiing isn't a giant luxury?

even an off-peak lift ticket on a piddly rear end mountain is $50-$100

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
and that's to say nothing of equipment rental, trasportation, housing, lessons...

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

lancemantis posted:

well the other thing being that the US concept of middle class is incredibly broad, hence the entire concept of HENRY coming into being

even by mitt romney standards of middle class they're squarely outside of it though

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Cross country skiing is a traditional and practical means of winter locomotion. Downhill skiing is a bourgeois pastime and gets the guillotine

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

BMan posted:

Cross country skiing is a traditional and practical means of winter locomotion. Downhill skiing is a bourgeois pastime and gets the guillotine

what about tubing?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

presumably the large swaths of the country where it doesn't often snow and/or there are no mountains

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

where do you live that skiing isn't a giant luxury?

even an off-peak lift ticket on a piddly rear end mountain is $50-$100

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/licenses/skipass/index.html

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

President Beep posted:

what about tubing?

only if you climb the hill without a lift

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

this is most assuredly not what the bay area HENRYs mean by "skiing"

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

yospos is so bougie and divorced from the lived reality of most americans

it's disgusting

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

well you asked where i lived where skiing wasn't some giant luxury and i answered

the people riding bicycles this time of year probably spend more on that than the people using the same roads to ski

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

carry on then posted:

yospos is so bougie and divorced from the lived reality of most americans

it's disgusting

the subforum for computer touchers is filled with people who touch computers for vast sums and don't know how working stiffs live?

my god

someone tell the admins

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

the one time i ever went skiing i tore my pants open from the crotch to the knee only 100ft down the mountain and had to slowly work my way down the rest as my pants became packed full of more and more snow. it was free lift ticket day so the place was super crowded too. hundreds of people kept whizzing by my exposed underwear as i repeatedly fell into snowbank after snowbank

that's my shameful skiing story thanks for listening

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
you brought joy to dozens, and isn't that the real meaning of skiing?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Shame Boy posted:

hundreds of people kept whizzing by my exposed underwear

better than whizzing on it!

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

My parents taught me cross-country skiing from a young age and it's loving weird to me when people use "skiing" to refer to downhill skiing exclusively. I've never even been on a ski hill

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FMguru posted:

some further thinking makes me wonder if carol and/or mike had life insurance payouts coming from their dead spouses that made it possible for them to live above their means

and then i started imagining some sort of double double indemnity scenario making up the seamy prehistory of the show

hmm...

criss-cross!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

travel is especially bougie

stay where you are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

its kind of like a ball game or going to disney land. its affordable if you're not paying for 4 or 5 people to do it (ie you dont have kids).