Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

So just like the bonus multiplayer lords for TWW.

Also means you can just SAM him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Arbite posted:

Watching that Yuan Shao stream, they need to have a way to speed up duels after the battle's ended around them.

Part of the issue with that dual was that the enemy was so weak that it was easy to defeat them before the dual was concluded.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Anyone have a link to the stream he's talking about?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

chrotles linked it last page, but it's here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PI51Mcg74Q

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Hunt11 posted:

Part of the issue with that dual was that the enemy was so weak that it was easy to defeat them before the dual was concluded.
In addition, the opposing general was a sentinel which CA has described as the 'tanking' class vs. both generals and troops, and the first Binding Fury (10K splash damage, 10s duration, 60s cooldown) from Wen Chou seemed to outright miss.

EDIT: By the way, Dong Zhuo's character poster: https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/1094611949294215168

Chortles fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Feb 11, 2019

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"
Does anyone know if all the voices are in English for 3K?

I have only heard dodgey Brits and the occasional Chinese accented English on the pre-release stuff. The songs in the background have been in Mandarin though.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

A Perfect Twist posted:

Does anyone know if all the voices are in English for 3K?

I have only heard dodgey Brits and the occasional Chinese accented English on the pre-release stuff. The songs in the background have been in Mandarin though.

I believe they've said that the English version will have the option of either English VA or Chinese VA with English text

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

Gadzuko posted:

I believe they've said that the English version will have the option of either English VA or Chinese VA with English text

Cool. I hope they also went so far as to include the correct dialects.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

A Perfect Twist posted:

I hope they did the opposite and everyone has a Beijing accent so they all sound like pirates.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

A Perfect Twist posted:

I'm guessing that like total war usually is it will be insanely inaccurate

Like people said Throb really captured the setting but they just wholesale made up factions and settlement names for everyone without even a Wikipedia check

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Best TW games are those that don't take historical accuracy too seriously. Give me a cool setting for cool battles please, leave deep simulation of government structure to Paradox.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

alex314 posted:

Best TW games are those that don't take historical accuracy too seriously. Give me a cool setting for cool battles please, leave deep simulation of government structure to Paradox.

But TW: Warhammer has the best battles in the series and was almost entirely based on primary sources, including one of its authors. Therefore: better researched and more accurate = better game.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Game is apparently delayed till late May.

https://comingsoon.totalwar.com

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

It did look like it needed more time in the oven.

The worst looking stuff was the battles though and I doubt they can do much there with an extra couple months though.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Maybe they can scrounge up some artwork for the unit cards instead of these bland grey ones they currently have.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

alex314 posted:

Is there a single TW game that does take historical accuracy seriously? They've all been silly cartoon versions of history as far as I can tell.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Napoleon, maybe? That was a pretty good one, too.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
There’s not one, and also, lol at the idea that Paradox “13th century danish nobles were extra good at swordfighting thanks to their 15x and very historical great grandpa ragnar lodbrok” “Jesus’s alleged toebone will increase your lifespan” “being a cuman rather than a pecheneg means you have genetic advantages” Interactive makes Deep History Government Sims and not just a different brand of crazy but fun bullshit.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

You forgot "Incest is ok if you're Zoroastrian" :agesilaus:

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

To be fair you can turn off the supernatural and bloodlines stuff in the options of starting a new game.

But hey, any game where extremely rarely, depending on the settings, the Mongol hordes can appear while led by a hedgehog named Mr.Grumbles is okay in my book :colbert:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Total War is as real as a Hollywood gladiator epic. Like, sure, they totally had a historian listed as the script supervisor and he tried to tell them that the Romans of this period had different armor or wouldn't use the tactics shown, but like, holy poo poo there are a thousand extras on screen and look at how epic everything is!

Paradox games are as real as a turn of the 20th century "Atlas of World History" where the march of historical forces are just assumed and the "national character" is treated as a scientifically true phenomenon. Look, here's a map of Waterloo with a bunch of boxes with arrows pointed at other boxes, can't you just imagine being Napoleon and making the big decisions like that?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Whelp my confidence this game will be good just plummeted to zero. Moving the date when you're just a month from release is definitely a Bad Sign.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.
Booked a week off so I could settle in and play this heavily for a few days. Literally the only game I was looking forward to this year, even if the release was going to be a hot mess as per usual and now it's pushed back again.

Thanks CA :v:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It getting moved back is an insanely bad sign but at least they recognize they have a problem which is a step forward.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
This is the second time too.

But at least they’re owning up to it instead of releasing and patching it later.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Warhams 2 got pushed back a month before release as well (although that was only the first time). Hopefully they polish up the battles and redo the art for the unit cards.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I'm pretty sure Warhammer 1 also got a delay quite close to launch.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

V for Vegas posted:

Whelp my confidence this game will be good just plummeted to zero. Moving the date when you're just a month from release is definitely a Bad Sign.
i think it's pretty good news. we already know the game basically functions. now we know: 1) it needs polish; and 2) that ca (after many abortive launches) has enough understanding and wherewithal to basically grasp this.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Good thing ca hasn’t had a release since 2013 so we all know what to expect

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Why is the delay a bad sign exactly? Wouldn't it be worse to not delay it in spite of perceived issues?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Beamed posted:

Why is the delay a bad sign exactly? Wouldn't it be worse to not delay it in spite of perceived issues?

It’s nice to delay it but you know it has issues and you don’t know if they can fix it in a month.

It could turn out fine but there is a lot more evidence it won’t as of now.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

reading goat entrails to determine whether a game being delayed will make it better or worse

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

BBJoey posted:

reading goat entrails to determine whether a game being delayed will make it better or worse

perhaps tea leaves would give you a better forecast, given the focus of the game

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

One nice touch I like the return of is banner carriers.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Captain Beans posted:

perhaps tea leaves would give you a better forecast, given the focus of the game

Bring back Qin-dynasty era human sacrifice in order to force good omens, imo

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Replace Hordes of Chaos with just Europe.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

BBJoey posted:

I assume it can’t make it worse, only how much better does it make it.

Though if it does make it worse well that takes talent.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
What's wrong with the combat in 3K exactly? I haven't been paying that much attention.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Mordja posted:

What's wrong with the combat in 3K exactly? I haven't been paying that much attention.

-The duel challenges seem wonky. The AI never seems to refuse them so you could possibly job them pretty easily. Some lords in videos one-shotted others, though that may have been for journalist plebs. That, and it feels like you're walking into a problem by not bringing in a combat lord to every battle in case the AI wants to challenge you.

-The individual soldier interactions don't look improved by Empire's standards. Still lots of spinning in place, bumping & rubbing as units in the back line die from heart attacks. Charges look like those inflatable punch clowns bumping against each other.

A few other things, but I see those the most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Btw, Three Moves Ahead just did an episode on the Three Kingdoms period and how it's been represented in strategy games.

https://www.idlethumbs.net/3ma/