Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Wow transplants most likely.
Or the influx of players on the free trial

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

FactsAreUseless posted:

FF14 has easily the nicest online community I've seen in a game so I wonder what prompted the rule changes

In years of DF and PF runs I've only rarely run into people being actively abusive, so my wild guess is that they are tired of getting complaints about NN being completely unmoderated and/or run by the shitters themselves.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
or just cause you havent seen it doesnt mean people arent getting harassed and their previous policy was "just blacklist/ignore them!" so change was really necessary

ps reddit is absolutely melting down about the changes. gms are gonna ban me for mY OPINIOOOON

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
The Gillette ad of FFXIV.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
A Live Letter LAST YEAR showed a ranking of number of penalties assigned by type of infraction. Harrassment tops the list. (RMT doesn't top it because it doesn't include the trader bots)

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

yoship takes a stand against toxic potatolinity

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

somepartsareme posted:

ps reddit is absolutely melting down about the changes. gms are gonna ban me for mY OPINIOOOON

wow you weren't kidding

I imagine there's a very heavy crossover between people who are extremely upset about this and people who wipe the party by failing mechanics and then leave

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It'd be nice if even just to clean up the novice network channels, otherwise known as the public pedophile / beastiality channels.

I don't imagine much will change otherwise, but they want the TOS ready in case they need to.

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.

somepartsareme posted:

or just cause you havent seen it doesnt mean people arent getting harassed and their previous policy was "just blacklist/ignore them!" so change was really necessary

I never really encounter problematic people either, and reading the DF thread on the OF from literal years agos shows GMs can, did, and do punish people for being dickwads.

So most likely they are just emphasizing the rules now because of a combination of influx of new players + new expac on the horizon. Also something something people whining about how they got probated for kiting monsters in Yanxia like jerks.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
In other news, I resubbed the other day after not playing since mid-2017 and remembered how to RDM thanks to its forgiving rotation and did a duty roulette 50/60 and was given 2 commendations for not dying to mechanics. FFXIV community has been good to me.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'd like them to spend as much energy on getting decent spam filtering into the game, TBH. It's surreal what the gil sellers get past the radar and how we're supposed to deal with it (live with it, or click about five times for each bot to report them, which doesn't even mute them - that requires another 3 clicks).

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

orcane posted:

I'd like them to spend as much energy on getting decent spam filtering into the game, TBH. It's surreal what the gil sellers get past the radar and how we're supposed to deal with it (live with it, or click about five times for each bot to report them, which doesn't even mute them - that requires another 3 clicks).

Existence is reasonable, let's make things better

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
The only really troublesome things I've personally experienced were a player spamming his own performance skill during a performance competition event put on by a friend's FC and this one idiot who refused to participate in O10N after a wipe and just demanded a kick so he could avoid the lockout.

Everyone else has been pretty cool.

Reddit sure does love to get het up about how easily offended they think people are though.

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 12, 2019

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
drat, I kinda want the finished BLM relic. I did Anemos when it came out, got the WAR and SCH ones done, then stepped into Pagos for about ten minutes, got creamed by something I didn't see and levelled down to 19.

I feel like I have a long road ahead.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Leofish posted:

Reddit sure does love to get het up about how easily offended they think people are though.

Reddit is so easily offended that they can't imagine they're the problem.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

corgski posted:

Reddit is so easily offended that they can't imagine they're the problem.

If a butterfly flaps its wings, does Reddit get offended?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

It'd be nice if even just to clean up the novice network channels, otherwise known as the public pedophile / beastiality channels.

excuse me what

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Leraika posted:

excuse me what

You've never been in the novice network? It's usually one of those two topics.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Leraika posted:

excuse me what
It's real bad

At its best moments you'll get bad info from the novice network

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

You've never been in the novice network? It's usually one of those two topics.

When I did the novice network thing on my server it was mostly people bitching about anime or that one person who kicks people for not obeying their rules (which are not SE's rules)

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I'm the mean person in PF.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

I don't remember any weird sex stuff from Novice Network, but I haven't been on it in years (I'm neither new nor mentor at this point), and I'm on Hyperion. NN is different for each server. From what I remember, ours wasn't all that useful and there was some mentor infighting, but nothing quite THAT weird. It was less a problem of mentors giving bad info as not many people asking for info. I think they helped me early on with learning what the MSQ was and how to pick it back up (I was really new to MMO's), so that was cool and good.

I get the sense that new people get more help from whatever random FC they join and don't bother much with the NN.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
The NN on my server was pretty much completely harmless as far as I can remember.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Vitamean posted:

I'm the mean person in PF.

enjoy your ban kid

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Leraika posted:

When I did the novice network thing on my server it was mostly people bitching about anime or that one person who kicks people for not obeying their rules (which are not SE's rules)

Yeah I may be exaggerating how bad it was. For the most part my server's was pretty innocuous albeit full of terrible players leading the blind, but it easily and often drifted into pretty wretched stuff and any attempts to clean it up would just cause a fit as the cliques fought.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Yeah I may be exaggerating how bad it was. For the most part my server's was pretty innocuous albeit full of terrible players leading the blind, but it easy and often drifted into pretty wretched stuff and any attempts to clean it up would just cause a fit as the cliques fought.

What server, anyway?

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?
FC got really lucky and managed to grab a small house in Goblet (#10) despite some people sitting there for 9+ hours constantly retrying.

Are the crafting stations worth making? Or is the bonus not even worth it?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Verranicus posted:

enjoy your ban kid

I have a record One Warning on my account from my FFXI days so I can't wait for the next time I tell someone to use their eyes and their brain together to be my last.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

I have a hunch that the people complaining about weird stuff are on Excalibur and in one of the goon guilds, and people saying "it was OK on my server" are not on Excalibur. I could be entirely incorrect about that, though.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Leraika posted:

What server, anyway?

Lamia. Primal DC.

I left the channel in 4.2 after being in there since it launched. Don't really know what it's like now but I see a lot of the same idiots around so I don't care to.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

rujasu posted:

I have a hunch that the people complaining about weird stuff are on Excalibur and in one of the goon guilds, and people saying "it was OK on my server" are not on Excalibur. I could be entirely incorrect about that, though.

I'm Balmung, so you're half right.

Now that I think about it, we got a lot of MTed roleplay, though. Some of it was kinda spicy.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

I mean, it's a thing you could have easily predicted. The expansion of the rules seems to be more along the lines of the way moderating works here: Be a dick, eat a probe/ban, rules lawyers not allowed. It's one of the reasons SA isn't quite the cess pit the rest of the internet is right now. Reddit melting down over any form of moderation is pretty par for the course.

Still hilarious to see people screaming THOUGHT CRIMES though

also I haven't been in it ever, but if Balmung's NN isn't garbage it's because people on balmung who are into lovely stuff already know where to find it on the server and don't need the NN.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Vitamean posted:

I have a record One Warning on my account from my FFXI days so I can't wait for the next time I tell someone to use their eyes and their brain together to be my last.

good riddance troll

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Excalibur's NN seems pretty bad but the Famfrit one seemed inoffensive other than the one person I saw who spoke in the third person and ended each sentence with "doot".

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

rujasu posted:

I don't remember any weird sex stuff from Novice Network, but I haven't been on it in years (I'm neither new nor mentor at this point), and I'm on Hyperion. NN is different for each server. From what I remember, ours wasn't all that useful and there was some mentor infighting, but nothing quite THAT weird. It was less a problem of mentors giving bad info as not many people asking for info. I think they helped me early on with learning what the MSQ was and how to pick it back up (I was really new to MMO's), so that was cool and good.

I get the sense that new people get more help from whatever random FC they join and don't bother much with the NN.

Hey Hyperion buddy. The NN is pretty decent, except for a few alt-right trolls who occasionally pop in and out and say edgy nazi stuff. If you're in any of the major hunt LS' you probably have encountered at least one of them. I haven't been in in NN awhile but as of a couple months ago, yeah, the major problem was people just not really asking stuff. Way more mentors than novices.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Wacky Delly posted:

GC turn-ins are a ton of XP, especially if you HQ something that's starred. If you have gil to throw around you don't have to be the one that makes the turn-in; it can be bought off the MB. My general rule of thumb was to only bother trying to make/buy the starred items though.

I check every day, but Heavensward GC turn-ins are usually at least 50k, and more frequently like 100k. I'm down to just 400k gil now (from a starting point of 5M), so I can't really throw around cash like that.

I'll definitely check the leves though; I just assumed they'd be as obnoxious as the GC turn-ins, but maybe I can find some cheap-ish stuff. My retainers will also be able to help soon; they're all around 47-48 (I have 4, so one for each profession + a DoW), so it won't be long until they can get me mats for Heavensward stuff.

edit: To ensure I finish this, I have banned myself from continuing the MSQ and raids (I haven't touched Stormblood raids other than unlocking them, though I've done all the Heavensward ones) until I finish this omnicrafter poo poo. It helps to motivate me knowing I have all these raids and story content waiting for me after I finish.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 12, 2019

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Faerie's NN ranges from pretty ok to mentor rants about healer DPS and the eternal 'optimization vs. casuals' discussion. Also some promiscuity but probably nowhere near the level of Balmungs.

There's a few bad/annoying eggs in there and only a handful of sprouts but they get good help and info from there.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

I heard warnings about Goblin's NN from friends and never bothered to join because of those warnings.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Archyduchess posted:

Hey Hyperion buddy. The NN is pretty decent, except for a few alt-right trolls who occasionally pop in and out and say edgy nazi stuff. If you're in any of the major hunt LS' you probably have encountered at least one of them. I haven't been in in NN awhile but as of a couple months ago, yeah, the major problem was people just not really asking stuff. Way more mentors than novices.

Queen Tepe is the great moderating force of Hyperion Novice Network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

Excalibur's NN seems pretty bad but the Famfrit one seemed inoffensive other than the one person I saw who spoke in the third person and ended each sentence with "doot".

Don't doxx him, doot.