Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
That reminds me, no one has whined about the old Dell docks not having such-and-such driver in a few months.

Now that I've posted this, I will undoubtedly get fifteen escalated tickets regarding dock drivers by the end of the week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

We have recurring issues with the HP Slimline docks where the displayport ports just stop working and we have to unplug the monitors to get the working again.

Happens less frequently now with latest firmware, but still a problem.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

The Fool posted:

We have recurring issues with the HP Slimline docks where the displayport ports just stop working and we have to unplug the monitors to get the working again.

This happens sometimes to mine as well. No idea why and have never found a fix. Just made it general knowledge to unplug and replug the affected monitor.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The Fool posted:

I found that much more a problem with the older slimline docks that have a VGA port. I haven't seen it much with the dual DP docks.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

If my Lenovo laptop is in dock it takes 5+ minutes for it to get past the firmware logo screen and actually boot the OS. I have to turn it on out of dock, and then place it in the dock afterwards. If I use a different dock (same model) there's no such issue.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Case title: "Desktop - feels suspicious"

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

My Lenovo P52 is a pile of poo poo, and their new thunderbolt dock is even worse.

gently caress.

I mean, the machine is unreasonably fast, but it keeps behaving in odd ways, and I've had more BSODs in a few months than I had in years with my old W530... Sigh.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Speaking of Lenovo laptops, have any of you got experiences with the LCDfans' ThinkPad mods where they take the shells of old ThinkPads and stuff them full of new motherboards, CPUs, and such?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I’m *still* getting service emails about them re-splicing copper lines after The Backhoe Incident a week ago.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

D. Ebdrup posted:

Speaking of Lenovo laptops, have any of you got experiences with the LCDfans' ThinkPad mods where they take the shells of old ThinkPads and stuff them full of new motherboards, CPUs, and such?

No, but they look really neat.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

An email came in. Subject line: “problem fixed.” No body text. Sounds great!

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Weedle posted:

Do nothing today. If anyone asks you why you aren't working, forward them that email.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

D. Ebdrup posted:

I am intrigued and wish to know more.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Weedle posted:

reply, but change the subject line:
"Good job! Everybody go ahead and take the rest of the day off."

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I am intrigued and wish to know more.
I was about to say that they only have a facebook page, but that's not true anymore, so click here to make all your dreams come true!!
I think it's just one Chinese dude who's really loving passionate about his hobby and has now managed to make it into his way of life. I wish I could afford one.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Weedle posted:

Apply this email to your currently most frustrating issue and close the issue.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

D. Ebdrup posted:

I used one once, well, one modded by the company the LCDfans group uses. It was an old X61 laptop modified to use an Ivy Bridge i7 and I think an ok nVidia dedicated GPU. Only had my hands on it for a few minutes but it was nice to use and the laptop itself was very well modified, looked almost new.

What I'd really like to try would be a modded version of the x61 tablet version, that was able to still have the Wacom pen functionality, it would make an excellent tablet for messign around with art stuff. One of my friends still uses an unmodded X61 tablet for drawing.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

D. Ebdrup posted:

I was about to say that they only have a facebook page, but that's not true anymore, so click here to make all your dreams come true!!
I think it's just one Chinese dude who's really loving passionate about his hobby and has now managed to make it into his way of life. I wish I could afford one.

I love the look of ThinkPads, but I haven't found one recently that I'd actually buy.

If I could have a Macbook's guts in a ThinkPad shell, my life would be complete.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

A ticket came in..

:tinfoil:

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Jaded Burnout posted:

A ticket came in..

He's mad as hell and not gonna take it anymore.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jaded Burnout posted:

A ticket came in..

"Thank you, your contact details have been logged in our system for future reference".

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

D. Ebdrup posted:

that url posted:

cnmod.cn uses an invalid security certificate. The certificate is only valid for the following names: https://www.webhostingtest1.com webhostingtest1.com Error code: SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN

The funniest part is the 1.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

fishmech posted:

I used one once, well, one modded by the company the LCDfans group uses. It was an old X61 laptop modified to use an Ivy Bridge i7 and I think an ok nVidia dedicated GPU. Only had my hands on it for a few minutes but it was nice to use and the laptop itself was very well modified, looked almost new.

What I'd really like to try would be a modded version of the x61 tablet version, that was able to still have the Wacom pen functionality, it would make an excellent tablet for messign around with art stuff. One of my friends still uses an unmodded X61 tablet for drawing.
He does all sorts of different models, maybe you can convince him that an X61 that can function as an actual tablet would be a good idea? It doesn't seem like there are any parts that he can't get.

I love the look of ThinkPads, but I haven't found one recently that I'd actually buy.

If I could have a Macbook's guts in a ThinkPad shell, my life would be complete.
Macbook guts in terms of what, exactly? It's been ages since Macbooks used PowerPC CPUs, and they're not even the most powerful laptops you can buy anymore (the ThinkPad P1 is much more powerful in its highest configuration).

sfwarlock posted:

The funniest part is the 1.
It wasn't on the site when I visited it yesterday. As a backup, there's still the facebook group with whatever caveat emptor that apply to anything even remotely related to Facebook.

Mammalian
Nov 9, 2011

Not just any Jesus Mammalian Jesus
Recently started a new job but still get annoyed when I think of some of the things that happened at the last place. Here's one of them:

Work in a school, teacher is doing a training course that's going to start after we finish - 4pm on a Friday (we finish 3:30pm) it's internet-based and the previous manager left the network without handing over how the web filter is setup, the network is managed by RM and the new manager has never used RM and prefers to spend two weeks struggling with one thing instead of calling RM support.

Ticket comes in, "please make sure this works for me on Friday" he doesn't glance at it and assigns it to me, for the week I'm testing it and it all looks good, but I'm concerned, manager is too "busy" to pay attention to concerns.

The day comes, she tries to open it up and it's blocked, last minute before work I get her logged in as an admin (which is a no-no obviously) and leave her to it, everything looks to be working. We leave, and as I'm in the car..

an Email comes in.

"IT WORKED FOR 20 MINUTES THEN KICKED ME OUT I REALLY NEEDED THIS AS YOU KNOW!!"

I ran the diagnostic tool the online conference/meeting platform provided, it passed everything, it was working, but the IP filter blocked something and kicked her out of the room 10-15 minutes in.

I'm so glad I don't have to deal with that lovely network anymore.

addendum:

about four weeks after this I have a performance review where they bring up every little tiny discrepancy, including this instance. "Why didn't you test it etc etc" and I immediately responded "I DID."

They had no comebacks, no recourse but to admit I was right, not just on this but everything else, and that the problem is the head and the leadership team (8 bosses Bob, 8.) micromanaging things they don't understand and being picky snowflakes. I'm now earning double as an IT Manager for work 1/3 as stressful.

DON'T WORK IN SCHOOLS

Mammalian fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Feb 14, 2019

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

D. Ebdrup posted:

Macbook guts in terms of what, exactly? It's been ages since Macbooks used PowerPC CPUs, and they're not even the most powerful laptops you can buy anymore (the ThinkPad P1 is much more powerful in its highest configuration).

I do music, both production and live performance. I have too much Mac-exclusive software and too many fussy pieces of hardware that only play nice with Core Audio to go back to Windows without re-engineering my entire setup.

I mean, my day job is Windows platform engineering and endpoint configuration management, so it's not even an OS preference thing. It's just that I need Logic Pro X to work with files from my studio partners, and I can't be loving around with drivers and hardware issues before gigs.

Mammalian posted:

DON'T WORK IN SCHOOLS

TRUTH. I got my start helping my dad fix his computer lab at the high school when I was a wee child, and I cheered when he retired cuz it meant never having to touch his lab again.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

It's not that the apple hardware is any nicer or more reliable, it's that the driver stack is considerably simpler because they only have to worry about their own first party stuff.

Microsoft's driver stack is polluted by thousands of unstable cut rate third party poo poo factories.

Mammalian
Nov 9, 2011

TRUTH. I got my start helping my dad fix his computer lab at the high school when I was a wee child, and I cheered when he retired cuz it meant never having to touch his lab again.

Kids would come in like "hi can we have 4 keyboards and 3 mice please" because they kept breaking them, manager spent a third of our budget on putting keypads on the IT rooms to kerb damage and misuse, the real issue was that they weren't telling the teachers to own the rooms, take responsibility, they just dropped in and dropped out. Other funny things included kids slamming the iPads into the boxes upside down (so the charging connector dented the top of them) and I guess no teachers spotted that. The cleaners stealing lunch from my pregnant girlfriend (twice!) and manager after I left deciding that he's not manually plugging in the ipads and it should be the students' and teachers' job (which is true but he didn't have a problem all the while I was doing it) so they all died and people complained.

God drat I hate the bureaucracy of it. They moved my desk too.

I had whatsapp open for ten minutes one day and never again for the whole week and guess what was mentioned in my review?

Modern IT is a mostly contract-led market, mainly development, and so treating IT personnel like they're shackled is ridiculous.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I do music, both production and live performance. I have too much Mac-exclusive software and too many fussy pieces of hardware that only play nice with Core Audio to go back to Windows without re-engineering my entire setup.

I mean, my day job is Windows platform engineering and endpoint configuration management, so it's not even an OS preference thing. It's just that I need Logic Pro X to work with files from my studio partners, and I can't be loving around with drivers and hardware issues before gigs.

Though it breaks the EULA, you can actually install OSX on a laptop - and if you pick a motherboard with UEFI firmware, the same CPU as a current Macbook Pro, and a graphics card that's UEFI-capable and the same model as what you find in a current model Macbook, all it takes is a bit of fiddling around with generating authorization codes, and you can get a full OSX experience on a ThinkPad.

All the information you need should be on this site.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Feb 15, 2019

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

D. Ebdrup posted:

Though it breaks the EULA, you can actually install OSX on a laptop - and if you pick a motherboard with UEFI firmware, the same CPU as a current Macbook Pro, and a graphics card that's UEFI-capable and the same model as what you find in a current model Macbook, all it takes is a bit of fiddling around with generating authorization codes, and you can get a full OSX experience on a ThinkPad.

lol. So then you're back to loving around to get a computer to work, and having to do it over and over again every time there's an update.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Proteus Jones posted:

lol. So then you're back to loving around to get a computer to work, and having to do it over and over again every time there's an update.

But it also means you spent %30 of what that macbook would have cost! The other 70% comes over the total lifespan of the device, in lost sleep and pulled hair.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Proteus Jones posted:

If you just want something that works, computers is the wrong field to be working in as nothing about computers work. It's all an illusion brought on by too many layers of abstraction covering up year after year of first time failures and second-system syndromes.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

D. Ebdrup posted:

If you just want something that works, computers is the wrong field to be working in as nothing about computers work. It's all an illusion brought on by too many layers of abstraction covering up year after year of first time failures and second-system syndromes.

Our mantra around here is "computers are not ready for production"

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

D. Ebdrup posted:

I found an article a while back about how MS ensured backwards compatibility by identifying error codes on the fly. It was :psyduck:

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I just spent the best part of the last 2 hours explaining to a helpdesk 'you have ceased part of my service in error, you cannot produce a record of me requesting for these services to be ceased, please resume the service' is not too much to ask...

oh Friday...

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Who's cancelled your internet?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

D. Ebdrup posted:

That sounds like something I would have done 10 years ago when I wasn't a crabby old burnout. I mean, I bought a ThinkPad with the wrong resolution LCD and replaced the whole thing, inverter and all. I've hacked the BIOS to get non-compliant wifi chips to work. And I enjoyed it.

Now, tho, I get furious when the allegedly Mac compatible RAM upgrade I ordered doesn't work because lol Apple. Having a Hackintosh sounds super neat and unique and I'd probably turn at least 1 head every 5 shows with it... But :effort:

I officially need to clone myself and let enthusiastic younger me do all my dirty work.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Mammalian posted:

DON'T WORK IN SCHOOLS

Hell I work adjacent to schools for a local government, and I still have to deal with :stare: levels of stupid flowing out of that place. I don't know how their IT department deals with it. We have an 8 whoops I mean 7 (one just quit) person team and are still very busy.
Schools have a 2 person team (C-level and another dude) and I can't imagine how the gently caress they cope.

Mammalian
Nov 9, 2011

s

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Schools have a 2 person team (C-level and another dude) and I can't imagine how the gently caress they cope.

For me, manager was a guy who worked in schools from 18, 17 years of school IT experience, his hair was has fallen out and he can't have coffee because his anxiety gets even worse. I can only imagine the horrors he's seen.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I work with a couple younger guys that haven't burned out yet. They are exhausting.

I mean yeah, I'm proud of them for staying up until 3am "fixing their lab version of OwnDrive" or whatever the gently caress but it's barely 9am *Todd* and some rear end in a top hat (you) took the last coffee and I just wanted to do my crossword in peace.

I miss that enthusiasm but I wouldn't want it back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The Fool posted:

It's not that the apple hardware is any nicer or more reliable, it's that the driver stack is considerably simpler because they only have to worry about their own first party stuff.

Microsoft's driver stack is polluted by thousands of unstable cut rate third party poo poo factories.
I suspect this is also why sleep mode actually works on macs, while on Windows it's usually a crapshoot if the computer returns to a usable state or needs to be rebooted after waking up.