Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pigbuster posted:

Two things I took away from that teaser: Aladdin looks ridiculous with Abu on his shoulder, it’s like a perfect example of something being just fine as a cartoon but absurd in real life. Abu in general just rubs me completely the wrong way. The second thing is that glimpse at the Prince Ali segment looks pathetic. That sequence in the original is absurdly bombast and exciting; that shot makes it look like an orderly state fair parade.

Yeah it literally looks literally... cheap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

All Disney's live action looks cheap, what gives?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
again, Cinderella didn't, despite being one of the actual cheaper ones. I think it was literally a better movie because Disney felt they "had" to make Cinderella but don't really care about it as a property (compared to Aladdin, which they are loving up)

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Aladdin looks half-finished in the trailer, like it needs at least three more passes.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Pretty sure Smith vetoed any push to make the Genie fatter.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I have to wonder if Will Smith's at the point where he's more of a liability. Jaden Smith certainly is not going to be a thing. (I had to convince a friend of mine that he wasn't going to be in Detective Pikachu for some reason)

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
Someone I know is ADAMANT that Vic is innocent and is claiming that all he ever did was friendly hugs and that most of the accusations/evidence against him is false. Like they genuinely think he's a nice person who's had his life ruined by people jealous of his success. How the gently caress do I talk sense into them??

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Whoa. I completely forgot I saw the live action beauty and the beast in the theater. I didn't think it was ghastly or anything but totally forgetting I saw it in theaters or that I saw it at all probably says a lot on how memorable it was

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Captain Invictus posted:

Whoa. I completely forgot I saw the live action beauty and the beast in the theater. I didn't think it was ghastly or anything but totally forgetting I saw it in theaters or that I saw it at all probably says a lot on how memorable it was

Your brain protected you

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Butt Detective posted:

Someone I know is ADAMANT that Vic is innocent and is claiming that all he ever did was friendly hugs and that most of the accusations/evidence against him is false. Like they genuinely think he's a nice person who's had his life ruined by people jealous of his success. How the gently caress do I talk sense into them??

I mean, just post a link to the ANN article and tell him "actually its about ethics in anime journalism"

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Sadly those types will never be convinced because they're projecting hard onto Vic, which says *things* about the person. Also they keep moving goalposts.

Funi kicking Vic? They must publicly release the investigations or else it's a sham! A woman who had an encounter *before* Vic got famous? She's clearly a stupid broad for going into a man's apartment alone not that it's true becausse a liar.

Voice actors supporting the fans? They're jelly.

fans? They wanna be famous.

There's no convincing the Vic defense squad because they don't want to admit groping women or sticking your tongue into a teenage girl's ear is actually bad and gross.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Majin Buu film looking good

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
After playing KH3, I went back and watched some clips from the older Pixar movies, and man up through even Monsters Inc, it is weird seeing the animation in those movies nowadays. Monsters Inc isn't as bad, but Toy Story 1, 2 and Bug's Life look ROUGH nowadays. Especially the first Toy Story. The weird barren backgrounds and the terrible looking movement do not hold up well anymore. It's also probably worse with Toy Story because Toy Story 3 exists to compare it to now. I think Finding Nemo is the first Pixar movie where things really start to look... I dunno, modern? Obviously these are old movies by now so they are gonna look dated, but it's certainly weird after being so used to the more modern Pixar stuff nowadays.

The biggest thing I noticed in the first Toy Story is how much they hadn't gotten mouth animations yet.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Sid was a creative child who did nothing wrong.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yea Toy Story 1 is pretty empty can’t fault it too much though since it was like the first full length 3D animated movie.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Invalid Validation posted:

Yea Toy Story 1 is pretty empty can’t fault it too much though since it was like the first full length 3D animated movie.

Ah gently caress you!! It's the only good Pixar film!!

And Woody realizing he actually isn't as good as Buzz and Andy is right to love Buzz more is an incredibly mature, painful moment that the sequels hosed up but it's RAW.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Robindaybird posted:

Sadly those types will never be convinced because they're projecting hard onto Vic, which says *things* about the person. Also they keep moving goalposts.

Funi kicking Vic? They must publicly release the investigations or else it's a sham! A woman who had an encounter *before* Vic got famous? She's clearly a stupid broad for going into a man's apartment alone not that it's true becausse a liar.

Voice actors supporting the fans? They're jelly.

fans? They wanna be famous.

There's no convincing the Vic defense squad because they don't want to admit groping women or sticking your tongue into a teenage girl's ear is actually bad and gross.

I really love the contrast between how animation people reacted to John K being outed versus anime people and Vic.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
So I had some time this morning and rewatched the original Aladdin for the first time in... poo poo, probably 15 years at least, if not more. There's some parts that don't hold up (Some of the CGI shots in the Cave of Wonders, the general feeling of "This is a story a bunch of white guys made after skimming Arabian Nights," etc), but on the whole it's a pretty good movie! The animation and music in particular are just fantastic, and really deliver on creating an unbelievable, mystical spectacle—all while keeping the overall focus on the characters, their motivations, and their struggles.

With that in mind... man, they really could not have chosen a worse movie for a live-action remake, could they? In Aladdin, the lack of realism is the point—it is a fable within the very text of the movie, and the visual spectacle is deliberately exaggerated and used to highlight the human motivations of the characters. Making it live action just grounds it in a way that, if anything, makes it less believable, and from what little is shown in the trailer I doubt the characters are going to be nearly as strong or memorable as they were in the original.

I will say though, I'm not gonna be too hard on Will Smith because he's got the single toughest job in the movie. The combination of the animation on the Genie in the '92 film and Robin William's legendary performance made for a character that is going to be straight-up impossible to supplant in people's minds, and arguably there's no actor they could have picked who would have even come close to what Williams did. The best we can really hope for in the new movie is that they let Smith take his own direction with the character, to at least try and make something different, but... well, I don't exactly have high hopes.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I think the worst thing about the new Aladdin is that Jafar is this like handsome gentleman. And not a gross loving creepy older man he's supposed to be.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Bringing up the Twisted Tales books again, they have an interesting take on the created Parades (or the people that the genie conjours to fill crowds) - they are described as being completely identical in a way that makes them very disconcerting, like 100 identical twins marching in formation. Disney has these interesting weird takes on the stories although they are for totally different age groups, and the actual adaptions are so lifeless. Use a little imagination. The only story they've done that's anywhere near what these books do is Cinderella 3 but with that movies very existence it's obvious that they can make interesting stories with established properties that fit the original age group, they just aren't.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Macaluso posted:

I think the worst thing about the new Aladdin is that Jafar is this like handsome gentleman. And not a gross loving creepy older man he's supposed to be.

NuJafar (a) looks about the same age as Aladdin, and (2) is much more attractive.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Why is that a problem?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
One thing that strikes me about Aladdin’s framing device is how tense it is, Williams as the merchant (or genie in disguise) treads a perfect line between benignly untrustworthy and sinister. It’s a huge contrast with what comes later, and I don’t think any other Disney film quite captures that level of intimacy with the viewer - even the Emperor’s New Groove, which has the protag narrating to the audience throughout. I think the tension of not knowing right off the bat if this merchant is “good” or “bad” really helps sell the story’s themes about a “diamond in the rough” etc

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Samuel Clemens posted:

Why is that a problem?

First, for reference:

Jafar's character in the original film is a complete sleazeball, and his appearance and stated characteristics reflect that: He's old and ugly, his thin appearance is reminiscent of the snake he becomes, and it's very easy to see why Jasmine is so disgusted by him even before he begins lusting for her. He's repulsive, both inside and out, and only maintains his position through literal hypnotism. Thus, by making him younger and more attractive, you end up losing some pretty significant aspects of his character.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Guy Mann posted:

I really love the contrast between how animation people reacted to John K being outed versus anime people and Vic.

It's honestly not really an anime people problem, there are still people who claim Bill Cosby did nothing wrong - what Vic has what John K didn't was an actively cultivated cult of personality (He has a loving discord server for him and his underaged fanbase maintain by his mommy) and a well of Gamegaters latching onto it to try to discredit #MeToo.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Guy Mann posted:

People knew about John K for many years too dude.

Robindaybird posted:

It's honestly not really an anime people problem, there are still people who claim Bill Cosby did nothing wrong - what Vic has what John K didn't was an actively cultivated cult of personality (He has a loving discord server for him and his underaged fanbase maintain by his mommy) and a well of Gamegaters latching onto it to try to discredit #MeToo.

Yeah, this is a problem everywhere and it's been going one forever and it's only recently that something is actually being done about it.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
My all-time favourite portrayal of Jafar is still as a chubby, earnest good guy who is hugely misunderstood by the citizenry and eventually gets compelled by a Greek chorus of Disney villains to embrace his evil image:

https://youtu.be/zKWt-4FBjHY

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Thus, by making him younger and more attractive, you end up losing some pretty significant aspects of his character.

I'm not denying that Jafar's original design is iconic and good, but I don't see why you can't have a manipulative sleazeball who also happens to be beautiful and young. If anything, teaching children that it's not okay for someone to creep on women even if he looks like a hunk strikes me as a good thing.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I am honest to god sick of everyone being hot all the time. I can't tell fuckers apart.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Maria Bamford should’ve been the Genie for the live-action version.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Samuel Clemens posted:

I'm not denying that Jafar's original design is iconic and good, but I don't see why you can't have a manipulative sleazeball who also happens to be beautiful and young. If anything, teaching children that it's not okay for someone to creep on women even if he looks like a hunk strikes me as a good thing.

But we lose the, "But you're so old!" moment.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSLe4HuKuK0

I'm all in for Elsa becoming a superhero with her own training montage and Anna learning swordfighting. Now someone just has to give her a keyblade.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Well it certainly looks great visually so far

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I never liked the character design of Frozen despite the rest of it looking pretty good. Maybe it's been a while since seeing the first movie but the character faces seem to have the DreamWorks face disease even worse this time.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Macaluso posted:

Well it certainly looks great visually so far

The color balance is fantastic

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

https://twitter.com/cornhime/status/1095689523579752448

:hmmyes:

golden bells
Oct 17, 2013

There's been enough time since Frozen fever passed--I'm hyped for it

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

golden bells posted:

There's been enough time since Frozen fever passed--I'm hyped for it

Agreed, which makes me wonder if that's why they only started hyping it now, they knew there was pushback from its extreme exposure for so many years.

Clumsy Card House
Jan 6, 2008

That trailer looks very promising. That character animation in the first sequence with Elsa blew me away. And the colors! Didn't think I would be hyped for Frozen 2 but here I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The sea looked fantastic at the beginning. I’m intrigued.