Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Lottie vs. A Goon: Flawless Victory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2012 Spiderman

The Amazing Spiderman

Dick Tracy

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

9 Chickweed Lane 9CL is just the ugliest comic in the world, isn't it? That last panel looks like an error on first glance instead of being the back of a seat.

Johnny Walker posted:

This is a good song! And to think I would never have heard it if I hadn't posted that lovely comic!

The whole Modern Lovers album is incredible and is required listening if you haven't heard it. It's loving great!

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Haifisch posted:

2012 Spiderman

"And after the break; water: is it wet? One reporter has the answers."

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

Lottie vs. A Goon: Flawless Victory.

Never even stood a chance.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

FrumpleOrz posted:

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Here's a fun challenge: which of these is the worse comic?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

Trick question! They're the same comic!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Evil Mastermind posted:

That's deep, man.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Samovar posted:

I am loving the term bravocado.
"NATURE" - seagull that just showed up out of nowhere

edit: seagull is easily the best cameo character in the funnies

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 12, 2019

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo

the absolute madwoman

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Rex Trail

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Retail

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

I have no idea what I'm doing!

That last On the Fast Track comic with the online death and cupid being twins, like are they just online avatars or are they actual manifestations like autocorrect?!? God I'm getting so mad I-

FrumpleOrz posted:

Hagar The Horrible

Nevermind on being mad because this is the best poo poo ever right here :lol:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Luxrage posted:

That last On the Fast Track comic with the online death and cupid being twins, like are they just online avatars or are they actual manifestations like autocorrect?!? God I'm getting so mad I-

Nevermind on being mad because this is the best poo poo ever right here :lol:

What you don't know is that Long Leg Lars is the guy at the very back

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Andy Capp

December 21, 1957

Heathcliff Old and New

Ballard Street

The Racist Caricatures of Everett True

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

that loving guy cheering over the back of his chair.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Synthbuttrange posted:

hes using the guy instead of a memo pad.

Welp I was just overthinking it I guess. In my defense at least I knew what order to read the panels. Thanks!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Princess Planet
May 14th, 2006

May 21st, 2006

May 28th, 2006

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Ted Forth Hires A Normie Building Contractor

Skippy (September 25, 1931)

Peanuts (February 15, 1972)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (January 18-20, 1932)

Thimble Theater (September 7, 1935)

Dok's Dippy Duck (July 12-14, 1923)

And now, a special bonus: The winner of the Dippy Duck contest.

Seattle Times, July 14, 1923 posted:

Mary MacMillan, who'll be 13 years old this month, has been scheming and saving for a vacation and dreaming about the fine time she would have if she went to the Y. W. C. A. summer camp.

When Dok Hager's "Dippy Duck" started on his vacation a few weeks ago, naturally Mary, interested in everything pertaining to vacations, followed his peregrinations on the comic page of The Time each day.

And because she guessed every country the Duck visited, she has earned her own cherished vacation.

She was the only child, of the hundreds in Seattle and throughout the state who competed, to guess every picture puzzle during the web-footed character's ramblings, and she will receive $25 for her effort.

"It was lots of fun to try to guess the country or city represented by the picture," said Mary, who is a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W. K. MacMillan of 1217 Eighth Ave. W. "And now I'll enjoy my own vacation more, because I earned it."

Mary, by the way, has a twin sister, Martha, and they look alike and usually dress alike. Both attend the West Queen Anne School, where they will be in the eighth grade when school reopens. Martha didn't enter the contest, thereby simplifying the task of the Duck Editor. Martha was as delighted as her sister when told of the result.

Mary likes geography along with her other studies, and she knows how to make use of the encyclopedia on occasion, as she showed when she traced down the picture puzzles.

Besides the children who strove to associate remarks about the size of a bridge with the "Bridge of Sighs" in Venice, and perfumes with Cologne, Germany, and so on, several grown-ups sent in their guesses. Mary can have the added satisfaction in knowing that even these ineligible competitors--whose answers would not have been considered anyway--did not equal her perfect score.

The places visited by the "Dippy Duck" were Belgium (Brussels); Scotland, the quotation being from "The Lady of the Lake;" Turkey (Angora); Ireland; Germany (Cologne); Italy (Venice); Russia; Egypt; Spain; England; France (The Louvre); Denmark; Switzerland and Holland. The invitation to children to guess the place represented in the picture was published each day.

tl;dr: Not only did they give a 13 year-old the equivalent $372.95 in modern money, but they told everybody where she lived and where she goes to school! The past is a whole other country, isn't it...

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Dok's Dippy Duck is weird but interesting.

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!
I love Out Our Way to begin with, but the "Born Thirty Years Too Soon" strips are especially fascinating. It's incredibly cool to see the transition from the turn of the century to the twenties and thirties from the perspective of someone who lived through both, particularly since I don't think the idea of decades having their own individual character was as culturally ingrained as it's become today.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I love this

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set dresses for success.

Working Daze will get back to you.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is a victim of the Anti-Death Equation.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Alley Oop

The Big Picture

Is it? :confused:

Fred Basset

Garfield

Half Full

Is there even a joke here?

Judge Parker

Reply All

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is a victim of the Anti-Death Equation.

Was he planning to drop dead right into the middle of a playground? That's kinda lovely.

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man
Man, that guy about to bash in the CEO's bean in Boss Dharma is pretty tight.

Also like, maybe I just scroll past it, but that's the first time I read The Big Picture and is it just a lovely comic or what?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Poil posted:

Was he planning to drop dead right into the middle of a playground? That's kinda lovely.
he's quite an unloveable loser.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Poil posted:

What an unlovable loser he is.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

I don't normally comment on Out Our Way because it tends to be good and most of the little historical bits get explained so I don't need to ask, but this was a pretty good batch.

Although, as much as I like Out Our Way, I tend to skip the factory ones.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (July 22, 2007)

Arlo and Janis Classic (July 22, 1997)

Garfield Classic (July 22, 1987)

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

random Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Corto Maltese: Corto plans a little vacation, or We learn a bit more on this enigmatic, unscrupulous Chekvet fellow, or Sala-ad din refers to THE Saladin of third Crusade fame.

And here is the first sign that the art is not going to be so good. Ibahiya is just flat-out poorly drawn. You will see more examples later on, tho.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Hey folks! I went to my comic book shop of choice today, and guess what I found :dance:

You best believe I bought it :D

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Did someone try and drown that dog?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Haifisch posted:

Origins of the Sunday Comics

I have really been digging the art style in these last couple, even if the historical accuracy is rather questionable. I don't think I'd like the art if there were a comic with it every single day, but it's really cool.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mikl posted:

Hey folks! I went to my comic book shop of choice today, and guess what I found :dance:

You best believe I bought it :D
That's great, and it reminds me of something I've been meaning to post for a while. Possibly even did post, but I can't remember:

There's about 4 volumes out, too, and I keep seeing them around. Feels super weird to pass the little girls section of a bookstore and spot something you could hold up and say "this one's really good actually" about. And all the marketing blurbs are super tailored towards little kids, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
My local paper has cancelled Non Sequitur. Dude really did not think this through.