Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

al-azad posted:

Layoffs are completely alien to me. I just don't understand how you can call someone at the end of the day saying not to come into work tomorrow. How is that poo poo not illegal? If it's a requirement that you have to give someone 30-60 days notice before an eviction, the same requirement should be in place for layoffs.

e: So the WARN act does require 60 days prior to layoffs but it's only for "massive layoffs" which is defined as an absurdly high 33% minimum. It should be federally mandated two weeks minimum and I would vote for anyone running on that platform.

Yeah but have you considered that unions are bad actually and fearful employees are hungrier? You're thinking like a sheep, not a shark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Blizzard is in California where the minimum is 50 employees laid off before the law kicks in

al-azad
May 28, 2009

They said affected employees are getting a severance which I'm just going to assume is 60 days pay which is the violation for California's WARN requirement.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Every article about Bobby Kotick was about how he wouldn't even meet with Will Wright when he was pitching The Sims, how everyone else in ActiVision had to convince him that Guitar Hero was worthwhile, how he was against Call of Duty moving out of World War 2 and onto consoles, etc

Bobby Kotick in the PS2 generation going around the whole industry telling everyone to stop making RTS games they were stupid and the industry took his word.

Kind of:

quote:

“It was designed and documented and we started some preliminary development with assets, but the market changed quite rapidly first after the success of Warcraft 2 (which was a key inspiration and the RTS game we loved the most) but then a few sub-quality products hit the market and suddenly publishers were convinced that the RTS market was dead.

“It wasn’t that the game wasn’t working out, it’s that the market perceptions were rapidly shifting. I can remember exactly the moment when I realized we might be headed for trouble, and it wasn’t an internal production issue: I walked into the mens room at LAX airport, and standing next to me at the sink was Bobby Kotick. We started talking and he asked how it was going and what we were working on. I said, “We’re doing this new Munch game but also trying our hand an an Oddworld RTS game but with a twist.” He frowned and said “You don’t want to go there. The RTS market isn’t performing well.”

“It was at that moment that I knew we were in trouble. Activision wasn’t as huge as it is today, but anybody who knew Bobby Kotick knew he was super sharp. Weeks later the same basic perception was flowing through the industry, and our publisher was now going through an acquisition by a French publisher that was getting a reputation for being content risk averse. All things considered, we decided to put development on halt and wait it out for a more promising publishing climate.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

al-azad posted:

Layoffs are completely alien to me. I just don't understand how you can call someone at the end of the day saying not to come into work tomorrow. How is that poo poo not illegal? If it's a requirement that you have to give someone 30-60 days notice before an eviction, the same requirement should be in place for layoffs.

e: So the WARN act does require 60 days prior to layoffs but it's only for "massive layoffs" which is defined as an absurdly high 33% minimum. It should be federally mandated two weeks minimum and I would vote for anyone running on that platform.
I assume you ain't American, because yeah, we're a capitalist hellscape; the Cold War and Reagan made sure of that.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Accordion Man posted:

I assume you ain't American, because yeah, we're a capitalist hellscape; the Cold War and Reagan made sure of that.

I'm American, I've just worked as a contractor all my life where I know months in advance whether a contract is getting renewed or not and nobody gets the boot until the money runs dry. Even living in probably the original work-at-will state there has never been an example of someone getting a phone call at 5pm saying "we didn't make enough money, don't come in tomorrow" but I hear that all the time from my tech friends. Like drat, I will vote for the first person who runs on the platform of doing away with work-at-will.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 13, 2019

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
GLaDOS tried to burn me to death in an incinerator! Now I've busted out and I'm wandering through all the maintenance tunnels and she says she's going to kill me.

This is all just another test, right? GLaDOS would never hurt me. She loves me :ohdear:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Glados is your friend and would never hurt you.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Oddworld RTS game but with a twist.

god drat it

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Actually when I worked at GameStop they cut my hours to 8 a week because if they fired me they were required to pay unemployment and if I stayed on then I would lose unemployment eligibility in a few months because you have to make a certain amount to receive unemployment at which point they would've immediately fired me.

So GameStop literally wasted my time until I quit or I hit a certain pay period where I could be safely canned, and that should be illegal.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

it was fun watching the internet back up Tim Schafer ripping into Kotick regarding Brutal Legend, then after the tables turned on Double Fine everybody backed up Kotick when he called out Tim Schafer, and now we've come full circle on hating Kotick again

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Didn't ATVI's incoming CFO get a signing bonus equivalent to the salaries of everyone who's getting laid off

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Didn't ATVI's incoming CFO get a signing bonus equivalent to the salaries of everyone who's getting laid off

$15 million, yeah. Rich people world is a loving trip

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The manager at the electronics store my brother works at quit unexpectedly so my brother was asked to take over the manger duties until they found a replacement. He got no extra money for doing this and was later punished for not making the sales targets for his regular job. If he joined a union he'd be immediately fired. Capitalism owns.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

al-azad posted:

it was fun watching the internet back up Tim Schafer ripping into Kotick regarding Brutal Legend, then after the tables turned on Double Fine everybody backed up Kotick when he called out Tim Schafer, and now we've come full circle on hating Kotick again
tbf a lot of people who hated Tim Schafer hated him because he defended zoe quinn

at this point the spacebase thing is so dang long ago that it can't be that that's fueling the remaining haters anymore. just politics

i played the psychonauts VR thing earlier this week and it was pretty cute. glad i got it at a sale price though because VR games are priced so ludicrously

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 13, 2019

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Tim's a decent enough dude.

The willingness of gamers to defend actual monsters doing monstrous things in the name of profit is staggering.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Schafer was the one who milkshake ducked JonTron so all is forgiven in my eyes.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

tying in with the gamergate crap i think a lot of Gamerstm put him on a shitlist for a bunch of his kickstarters running out of cash

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

al-azad posted:

The United States for the most part doesn't have worker rights. We kinda have a system in place that kinda sorta but not really helps people, but if you lose your job in the U.S., you have a month at most if you are extremely lucky, to find a new job and not lose your home. There are unemployement benefits but most companies will go out of their way to intentionally make sure ex-employees do not get those benefits.

The other bad thing about losing your job in the U.S. is that you also lose your ability to receive medical care, and without a job you almost for sure can't pay out of pocket for medications and doctor visits.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Feb 13, 2019

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The 7th Guest posted:

tbf a lot of people who hated Tim Schafer hated him because he defended zoe quinn

at this point the spacebase thing is so dang long ago that it can't be that that's fueling the remaining haters anymore. just politics

i played the psychonauts VR thing earlier this week and it was pretty cute. glad i got it at a sale price though because VR games are priced so ludicrously

Schafer can be a great guy who is also insanely incompetent at running a games studio. :shrug:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Probably something to do with having a two party system in which both parties are more right wing than... Most right wing parties.

The UK is hosed in a million ways but it's amazing how resistant the US is to giving its citizens even the most basic human rights.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Schafer can be a great guy who is also insanely incompetent at running a games studio. :shrug:
i agree but that aint why they hate him. in the end the games (aside from SpaceBase) all did come out in a finished form and most of them are fine. i know broken age pt 2 has some bad puzzles but that would've been the case whether the game was split up or not

in the end it's all about how he is a FILTHY SJW who Hates Real Gamers and that's why ppl still rage at him. DF as a company hasnt really done anything to warrant any kind of controversy in 5 years now, which in internet time is like 20 years and then you factor in worst timeline time and it's like 50 years

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Steve2911 posted:

Probably something to do with having a two party system in which both parties are more right wing than... Most right wing parties.

The UK is hosed in a million ways but it's amazing how resistant the US is to giving its citizens even the most basic human rights.
We were founded by a bunch of rich white male slaveowners that only wanted to give rich white male landowners rights; we're working by design.

Also I hope Psychonauts 2 will be good. I didn't back it, but I will buy it Day 1 if its good.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 13, 2019

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

chumbler posted:

Yeah but have you considered that unions are bad actually and fearful employees are hungrier? You're thinking like a sheep, not a shark.

Often fearful employees are hungrier in the literal sense.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Often fearful employees are hungrier in the literal sense.

Look if we had a system where everyone was given a living wage you people would just waste it on like steaks and lobster and poo poo

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Fwd:Fwd:Fwd: Single moms are buying marihuana with their food stamps!!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

good

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Please don't leak Ea/Activision internal emails.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

How I bought a house at 24

Step 1: Work really hard

Step 2: Save save save

Step 3: My rich rear end boomer parents buy me a loving house

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

whatever gets them through the day

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Let me tell you guys how I retired at 38, spoiler it involves making a million dollars a year.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Jay Rust posted:

Played about an hour of Katamari on Steam, it’s fun but I can’t imagine staying fun for very long??

I love Katamari

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

al-azad posted:

Let me tell you guys how I retired at 38, spoiler it involves making a million dollars a year.

https://twitter.com/katefeetie/status/1095189636199170049

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
https://twitter.com/meowjesty/status/1095210757267034112

Xemnas continuing to cause mistaken identity issues.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

corn in the bible posted:

I love Katamari

me too

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

al-azad posted:

I never understood the absolute hatred for Tim Schafer and Double Fine from weirdos.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Kingdom Hearts sure has a confusing story

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Viewtiful Jew posted:

guess he'll give birth by sleep

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cabbit posted:

https://twitter.com/DomsPlaying/status/1095441878500159488

I'm not sure which thread in the Blizzard subforum to post this in so enjoy this rage-inducing tweet here.

Capitalism is indefensible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/status/1095443646457901056

Read the room Geoff