Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
1. Hite's apology was very good, and giving away his cut of the money from Zak's project is a convincing show of good faith.
2. Hite is a republican in 2019 and thus I already wasn't going to buy any of his stuff. He's the reason I don't back KARTAS on Patreon even though I like the show quite a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

That Old Tree posted:

On the other hand, I do agree with him: Hite's getting off pretty easy.

Agreed.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
Looks like Mearls spoke up:

https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/1095486649977384960

And by "spoke up" I mean of course, said basically nothing.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ravenkult posted:

It's gross and ill-timed and most importantly, only exists to try and protect Magpie. He's also insinuating if you don't buy his games published through them, you're racist.
Basically he can go gently caress himself because he chose this time to try and ensure he doesn't lose any money because the company he writes for is garbage.

Yea I get that the core point is 'look 90% of us don't have anything to do with this poo poo and Magpie is kinda one of the few places FOR people like us so 'just don't work there' doesn't work for us' and it's real stupid that people are somehow demanding he answer for Mark's bullshit or whatever but the whole angle of 'so basically you're silencing PoC in the industry by saying the apology sucks' is real stupid.

Like, it's like yelling at the Starbucks barista because their CEO is an idiot who's running for president on a 'please no taxes for the rich' platform. Yea don't do that, you suck if you do that, but at the same time if the guy behind the counter goes 'actually if you don't accept that he's running in good faith you're being bigoted' that guy also should probably not be talking right now.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Sage Genesis posted:

Distanced himself as much as possible, mostly. So I think this still falls under the "malicious and/or coward" area.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

“playtester”, hmm?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sage Genesis posted:

I think I'd genuinely hate Mearls less if he was just an overt shitbag and said 'actually gently caress them they're probably lying' or whatever. This cowardly bullshit is just so infuriating.

"Zak? Who? Never heard of him, anyway peace and love folks~"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Subjunctive posted:

“playtester”, hmm?

Yeah, you know. The playtesters you consult on making a book. There's prolly a better name for them but I don't think word people have made one yet.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
this is gonna end with a full trump turn and mike just says he never met Zak and he was just a coffee boy at Wizards or whatever isn't it

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Jimbozig posted:

1. Hite's apology was very good, and giving away his cut of the money from Zak's project is a convincing show of good faith.
2. Hite is a republican in 2019 and thus I already wasn't going to buy any of his stuff. He's the reason I don't back KARTAS on Patreon even though I like the show quite a lot.

If Hite doesn’t follow through on what he said about taking further actions to try to address what he’s done then I think he belongs in the bad pile too

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Subjunctive posted:

“playtester”, hmm?
:thunk:
https://twitter.com/CrazeeJay/status/1095488373400100865

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
I sent an email to Kotaku about it all since they're one of the only 'mainstream outlets' I know that'll cover tabletop stuff, but I doubt it'll come to anything. I figure I'll try Waypoint and even an email to Mercer. Probably pissing into the wind, but gotta try?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Darksaber posted:

I sent an email to Kotaku about it all since they're one of the only 'mainstream outlets' I know that'll cover tabletop stuff, but I doubt it'll come to anything. I figure I'll try Waypoint and even an email to Mercer. Probably pissing into the wind, but gotta try?

might wanna try polygon too

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Sage Genesis posted:

Well, I ain’t buying anything dnd related until he’s gone

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
God gently caress this stupid hobby

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Such a goddamn coward

And the rainbow D&D logo is just the cherry on the poo poo sundae

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah that's a pile of horseshit.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Someone brings the receipts.

[removed by request]

I'd forgotten just how lovely his response was. You flibbertigibbets are so emotional and get so easily worked up into lynch mobs, fortunately I am a cool calculating being of pure rationality and can effortlessly see through your hysterical nonsense!

Good call Mearls. Really backed the right horse, there.

FMguru fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 13, 2019

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
I think one reason I'm trying to watch this situation closely is that Zak managed to twist and manipulate Mandy into thinking he was worth protecting. And that was with him being abusive towards her directly. The thought that the man could have easily manipulated a lot of people who were not so directly linked to his personal life would come as no shock to me whatsoever. I've been keeping an eye on the responses to the original post myself, Facebook hasn't turned anything up but I'm just hoping I don't end up seeing people throwing further abuse at her simply for the association she once had with him. Because quite frankly some people are that cruel.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Sage Genesis posted:

I was going to ask what was wrong with this response, but Mearls pretending Zak was only a playtester and not a consultant is pretty lovely. Normally, I'd let him use bad memory as an excuse, but he had two days to prepare this response so gently caress that

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Sage Genesis posted:

I want to set everything on fire :)

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Elephant Parade posted:

I was going to ask what was wrong with this response, but Mearls pretending Zak was only a playtester and not a consultant is pretty lovely. Normally, I'd let him use bad memory as an excuse, but he had two days to prepare this response so gently caress that

Mearls collected emails detailing Zak's harassment of others and then handed those emails over to Zak, and another 'consultant' IIRC, and then announced that there was definitely no chance that those allegations were merited.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Darwinism posted:

Mearls collected emails detailing Zak's harassment of others and then handed those emails over to Zak, and another 'consultant' IIRC, and then announced that there was definitely no chance that those allegations were merited.

He also speculated that the more respectable complainants (less potty-mouthed/not SA posters) were hysterical rubes being manipulated by SA shitposters for lulz.

EDIT: mearls_is_shit.jpg

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Feb 13, 2019

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Yeah. Pretty much there can't be an apology big enough; he should've been forced to resign when that poo poo was happening so anything he said now was always going to be bad. But he's hitched his horse to the 'trying to pretend Zak doesn't exist" wagon and in all honesty this probably won't do much to him unless it gets some media attention somehow.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Really Mearls? You asked and then all of a sudden people lose their receipts? Blow me.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
If y'all could edit that image deadnaming Olivia Hill that'd be rad, btw.

Mearls continues to be a piece of poo poo, surprising no one.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Darwinism posted:

Goddamn is that hosed up—both his doing that and his refusal to acknowledge it now. I apologize for for even half-defending him; I had no idea he did any of that poo poo. He needs to resign immediately.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

I know Mikan's game is free now, but is there an official place to download it from?
I don't think this was ever answered, but you can find the Funhaver Collection at http://tinyurl.com/LastStandCollection.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

andrew smash posted:

Chris Hardwick's ex came out with some very bad abuse stories about him, and Wil Wheaton, being a comfortably and inoffensively woke liberal guy, threw a huge tantrum about how his best friend was not someone who would do such things and as such he had to go think about it and wouldn't be saying anything in public.

Specifically he said he would be 'gathering his thoughts' for a later statement that never came, the way I remember it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Specifically he said he would be 'gathering his thoughts' for a later statement that never came, the way I remember it.

yea he also hilariously tried to leave twitter to some dumb side thing when people kept dunking on him for it, then he left the side thing because they wouldn't ban users who made fun of him for being such a worm there or something else dumb like that.

He's the avatar of nerd culture really, wealthy and respected but deeply fragile and refuses to see himself as anything but an eternal victim.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Auralsaurus Flex posted:

I don't think this was ever answered, but you can find the Funhaver Collection at http://tinyurl.com/LastStandCollection.

That's awesome. Thanks!

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

sexpig by night posted:

yea he also hilariously tried to leave twitter to some dumb side thing when people kept dunking on him for it, then he left the side thing because they wouldn't ban users who made fun of him for being such a worm there or something else dumb like that.

He's the avatar of nerd culture really, wealthy and respected but deeply fragile and refuses to see himself as anything but an eternal victim.

He literally ragequit social media because somebody bofa'd him on mastodon, it was extremely funny and moderately pathetic

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

sexpig by night posted:

He's also a nice exemplar of the Extremely Woke Ally That Totally Supports Marginalized People who turns completely useless the moment he's asked to pay the even slightest personal price to back up his loudly-touted Deeply Held beliefs.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Darwinism posted:

IIRC his method of determining "are these allegations merited" was "asking zak"

Like, that's what he admitted to, he was a member of one of Zak's places he directed hit squads so he knew god drat well what was going on

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

andrew smash posted:

He literally ragequit social media because somebody bofa'd him on mastodon, it was extremely funny and moderately pathetic

oh my god I forgot that was it, yea. He got bofa'd by some lady when he started whining about people bringing up the very public issue he was tied to and deleted everything.

I think that's the hardest a bofa has ever hit someone, the nuclear strike of bofa.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

oh my god I forgot that was it, yea. He got bofa'd by some lady when he started whining about people bringing up the very public issue he was tied to and deleted everything.

I think that's the hardest a bofa has ever hit someone, the nuclear strike of bofa.

Holy poo poo I never knew that, is that saved somewhere because thats unbelievable power if so. I remember Wil Weaton disappeared from the net a bit ago but I never knew why or cared enough to find out.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
https://twitter.com/artboypolitico/status/1035573965014487040

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

It's even more pathetic because it's not a very good bofa'ing.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

That Old Tree posted:

It's even more pathetic because it's not a very good bofa'ing.

I know! I had to look for another one to make sure that was it because it didn't even land right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
This dude is almost certainly a Zak sock puppet if people want to report him

https://twitter.com/KevinSc77918460/status/1095555008341262337?s=19