Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Ah this explains the awful livery

quote:

said Williams. "We spent quite a lot of time on this livery, it's all done in-house

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/how-williams-almost-different-livery/4336335/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Toro rosso still has the best livery on the grid.

New Haas is sexy.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

"Claire said it was blue, and I said 'I don't quite get that Claire'. She said, 'Well, here's a black version, a red version, a white version – just come and have a look at the blue version.
"So, I went downstairs and I saw this beautiful car and thought, 'I'm in again'."

#richpeoplehaveproblemstoo

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

This is the car that will start Are Dan’s multiple WDC run :australia:

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

You Am I posted:

Yea the history books will show that dans wdc run started with years of abject failure at Renault before moving to Mercedes

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Toro rosso still has the best livery on the grid.

New Haas is sexy.

Ah, i see your gimmick of "the shittiest fuckin opinions" isnt changing for 2019.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Dan's last name is literally Italian, he'll WDC with Ferrari

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.

You Am I posted:

Hmmmm

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/renault-tight-new-car-ready-testing/4336459/

"In a bid to maximise development time for its designers, Renault elected to hold back on finalising the specification of its RS19 for as long as it could.

As a consequence, the build time of the car had to be compressed and, with some delays along the way, the final parts are still not ready.

Renault had to use a 2018 chassis – fitted with 2019 front and rear wings – at its team launch at Enstone on Tuesday because the RS19 was not finished.

Managing director Cyril Abiteboul says that while he still thinks the team can make testing, he says a shakedown planned for Saturday at Barcelona is now in doubt."

F1 speak for "oh cock"

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Brainwrong posted:

Hmmmm

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/renault-tight-new-car-ready-testing/4336459/

"In a bid to maximise development time for its designers, Renault elected to hold back on finalising the specification of its RS19 for as long as it could.

As a consequence, the build time of the car had to be compressed and, with some delays along the way, the final parts are still not ready.

Renault had to use a 2018 chassis – fitted with 2019 front and rear wings – at its team launch at Enstone on Tuesday because the RS19 was not finished.

Managing director Cyril Abiteboul says that while he still thinks the team can make testing, he says a shakedown planned for Saturday at Barcelona is now in doubt."

F1 speak for "oh cock"

Ah Honda manifest

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Let’s not go nuts.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Glad you bothered to learn the rest Dan

quote:

Ricciardo injected a moment of humour into the launch when, asked by Cyril Abiteboul, why he had taken the risk in joining Renault, he replied: “Bonjour! Je m’appelle Daniel! I just wanted to learn French, that’s why I’m doing this.”

https://www.planetf1.com/news/renault-take-the-covers-off-the-r-s-19/

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Best place to learn French, Enstone

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

OhsH posted:

Ah, i see your gimmick of "the shittiest fuckin opinions" isnt changing for 2019.

Triggered because someone likes different colors than you? Wow.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
Stroll driver of the day

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
As the resident diehard Williams fan I gotta say the new livery is hot loving trash. It's one step above the Winfield livery.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
F1TV Pro's annual subscription is 50% off for the next few days. Last year they had a lot of issues to sort through, but I still think it's the best way to watch currently available.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Brainwrong posted:

Who? If it's Ed Brown, then he seems like a cool guy. I just watched "Gentleman Drivers" on Netflix and he's one of the guys in that. Loves his motor racing and has spent what is probably a small fortune in WEC / sportscar racing so he can get to drive.

It is not (Brown was CEO), but instead John Paul DeJoria, who has numerous other holdings and far too much money.

Didn’t put it together but ROKiT also became the jersey sponsors for the Houston Rockets in the NBA, so. Spectacular failures?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

tuo posted:

Like seriously: I haven't - to this date - found a sound reason on the net from anyone why the Honda engine does what it does.

There was a single year (IIRC 2016) where the Renault engine had a similar sound off throttle for it's first engine revision that year. They got rid of it pretty soon. Don't know it it's a failed attempt at pre-chamber ignition....
The reason why Honda engines sound like a fart-in-a-tuba as they decelerate is because the geniuses at Honda decided that they would try and cheat the rules by switching their MGU-H from harvest mode to energy deployment mode...like 20 to 40 times per second. It's the most rear end-backwards retarded way to run a hybrid system. Imagine the shock and the laughs at Mercedes when the engine guys got word of their competitor's "innovation".

They're using the mass of the turbine as a flywheel to receive and then harvest an additional 1MJ of energy from the MGU-K per lap. They just swap it on and off repeatedly. Remember, the turbine's only allowed to go so fast (125000rpm). So during the course of 50 milliseconds, it'll *click* spend 25 milliseconds directing energy from the MGU-K to the MGU-H turbine, spooling it up to max speed. Then *click* another 25 milliseconds will be spent dumping that kinetic energy into the battery. *click* More energy comes in from the MGU-K. *click*

Repeat until the turbo fails.

https://imgur.com/a/SanOP

td4guy fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Feb 13, 2019

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Verstappen was pretty whiny about the Renault engine last year, I can only imagine how bad he's going to lose it over the Honda.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Carth Dookie posted:

Verstappen was pretty whiny about the Renault engine last year, I can only imagine how bad he's going to lose it over the Honda.

It's going to be glorious :allears:

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
the only funnier reaction would be if it was vettel

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

quote:

"We are telling the world a very clear story and clear message as to where we are as a company," added Claire

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

freeranger posted:

It's going to be glorious :allears:

I know I've got an extra large tube of KY ready.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Can't wait to here Gee Bee Doo Engine in Max's accent.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

td4guy posted:

The reason why Honda engines sound like a fart-in-a-tuba as they decelerate is because the geniuses at Honda decided that they would try and cheat the rules by switching their MGU-H from harvest mode to energy deployment mode...like 20 to 40 times per second. It's the most rear end-backwards retarded way to run a hybrid system. Imagine the shock and the laughs at Mercedes when the engine guys got word of their competitor's "innovation".

They're using the mass of the turbine as a flywheel to receive and then harvest an additional 1MJ of energy from the MGU-K per lap. They just swap it on and off repeatedly. Remember, the turbine's only allowed to go so fast (125000rpm). So during the course of 50 milliseconds, it'll *click* spend 25 milliseconds directing energy from the MGU-K to the MGU-H turbine, spooling it up to max speed. Then *click* another 25 milliseconds will be spent dumping that kinetic energy into the battery. *click* More energy comes in from the MGU-K. *click*

Repeat until the turbo fails.

https://imgur.com/a/SanOP

:wow: cool post

Using the turbo as a flywheel to eek out marginal gains is a very F1 thing to do, and I can't wait to see the Honda turbo blow up multiple times in the season.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Carth Dookie posted:

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India

Reynold posted:

F1TV Pro's annual subscription is 50% off for the next few days. Last year they had a lot of issues to sort through, but I still think it's the best way to watch currently available.
Where do you see this discount? Can't find anything about it.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Merc running a bit more rake this year?

Gmaz posted:

Where do you see this discount? Can't find anything about it.
Use the code F1TV50 when signing up.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Williams scrapped their car shakedown / filming day. The car wasnt ready
What a piece of poo poo team

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

td4guy posted:

Merc running a bit more rake this year?

Definitely looks like it. Question is if they shortened the wheelbase.

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India

td4guy posted:

Use the code F1TV50 when signing up.
Thanks! Just a heads up to those who were already subscribed - you can't use this if you want to renew your subscription.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Put the app on the PS4 already Chase goddamit

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Lol what happened to that new Mercedes livery?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It looks quite good IMO. The Renault is still better.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

It looks quite good IMO. The Renault is still better.

my complaint with both Renault and the Mercedes is that the car numbers on both are the same color, it's such an easy way to differentiate drivers you'd think they would want to continue with that. ah well.

Mercedes looks like another winner, great job by the boys in Brackley once again.

also lol that the satellite KTM team in MotoGP now looks like Torro Rosso too.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one
The new red bull certainly has a paint job.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://twitter.com/redbullracing/status/1095652235013439488

:stare:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

At least it will be easy to spot when it's parked on the side of the track :shrug:

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Goddamit that look like trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."
It looks like a ladybug