Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
1600x900 is way too big. If you want to archive the LP later, you shouldn't go over 900px wide. If you don't care about archiving, that's still a pretty good benchmark to aim for. Please consider either chopping up the screenshots to only highlight the relevant bits, or resizing them to something like 800x450.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Archiving issues aside, do you think it would be sufficient to timg them or would I really be better served cropping them? I'd rather avoid playing at a lower resolution, especially for this mod, and this isn't really a game where you can resize the screenshots since there's a lot of small text that would be near-unreadable.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Nobody's going to want to read an LP where they have to click on every image to see it. Can you crop the screenshots to just show the relevant parts?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
TIMG is real bad for LPs, nobody wants to click each image to see it.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Alright redid the images in the OP and intro post. It turns out resizing isn't a huge deal in many areas so long as readability isn't 100% important and the cropped images do look much better than the full screenshots :)

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Something's off with your screenshots, the file sizes are pretty sizeable and yet the image quality is low and the artifacting around text is pretty intense. Like, text shouldn't look like this

and still have much larger file size than this

(I ran both of these through Irfanview with the same settings so the size difference isn't as obvious, but the quality should be)

Here are the full image comparisons of the menu

The C2C menu has more colors and text so it'll inevitably be a bit larger in file size than the vanilla Civ 4 menu, but not "three times the file size" larger. Certainly not while looking worse on top. What's your screenshot taking process?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I've been using Civ 4's built in screenshot functionality for the source images and then just cropping them in irfanView, so nothing special or out of the ordinary.

Looking at it now, I think the problem is that after cropping the image and saving it irfanView is using "max quality" settings for its JPG compression which is pointless cause the source image from Civ itself is already lower quality. Fortunately irfanView has an option to try and save using the "original" quality of the image and that seems to address the file size issues though it does degrade the image further slightly. Naturally if I use another screenshot program like ShareX for the source images the quality is significantly higher, but so is the file size.

So I can either keep using Civ 4's screenshot functionality and keep the file size low after cropping or I can just use the third-party programs to take higher quality screenshots and not worry too much about the file size. I'm not the one hosting the images of course, so this will depend on how much bandwidth matters to baldurk

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

Super Jay Mann posted:

I'm not the one hosting the images of course, so this will depend on how much bandwidth matters to baldurk

It'll also matter to the people reading the thread. Larger image file sizes means slower loading, and if you end up with a lot of images on a page you can end up with some horrendous loading times.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Yeah, file size stuff is more for the sake of people with slow computers, especially if several updates end up on the same page.

I usually just use an external program to take .png screenshots and then crop/save them with IrfanView at like, 92~95 JPEG quality. Vanilla Civ with 92 quality ends up with an image like this

It's still 195.08 KB which is a bit on the high end, but it's still a lot smaller and cleaner-looking than this 341.42 KB one from the test post for example.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Epicmissingno posted:

It'll also matter to the people reading the thread. Larger image file sizes means slower loading, and if you end up with a lot of images on a page you can end up with some horrendous loading times.

This is also true, I just wish I had a good ballpark number to go for as I can't be sure how many images I'll end up needing for later updates. As I've implied in the test post, there's a lot of stuff going on in this mod. I'm leaning towards being on the safe side and keeping the file size as low as possible even if image quality suffers. Even so it makes sense to use a third-party program for source screenshots as at the very least that provides more control for further processing.

Can't really do anything about the images in the first post besides resaving them to use better compression, if that's even worth it for what is a relatively small update. Speaking of, is there an easy way of replacing uploaded images in an LPix gallery so I don't have to mess around with changing URLs in the post proper or is that not a thing?

Super Jay Mann fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 3, 2019

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Did some more reading on the mod's forum and integrated a UI mod that would make my life playing the game a whole lot easier, so I ended up just redoing the screenshots in the first update entirely, taking the chance to see the results of using ShareX screen capture and jpg quality settings to keep file sizes at a reasonable level. There are also a couple minor changes to the update itself to reflect use of the mod, if that matters to you.

File sizes seem to be comfortably in the 50KB-120KB range depending on image size with a few outliers in more busy screenshots such as the tech descriptions. That's significantly better than the previous attempt and the images seem to look better to boot, so I'm quite happy with this method.

Comments are welcome of course, I certainly could be missing obvious problems. If not though I'll go with this to start the LP.

Oh, and title suggestions are also welcome as I don't really have any good ideas for a witty title right now. I could do generic and boring if I must but I'd prefer not to :v:

Super Jay Mann fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Feb 5, 2019

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
You could always ping a mod to get your title changed if you think of a better title later on. We are happy to help.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The test post looks good. The thread title's fine too, though it seems apropos to go with a 2001 monolith reference as well.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wouldn't It Be Nice If We Let's Played Fallout 76?

Llama, what are you doing now?

My first VLP, in which I shall be subjecting myself to exploring the latest incarnation of the HD Fallout universe: Fallout 76. People got so excited about it that the hype was enough to significantly boost tourism in West Virginia, resulting in a partnership between Bethesda and the state tourism board and the governor declaring November 14 to be Reclamation Day. Everything promptly went to poo poo once the game was released and people realized how terrible the game mechanics were.

Why are you doing this to us?

Because I want to.

You suck! You didn't even finish Morrowind!

People abandon LPs here all the time. Sometimes poo poo just gets in the way, because we're all adults here and we have lives (If you are, in fact, not an adult, report to the nearest staff member for spanking and banning). If this VLP goes well enough, I might have another crack at Morrowind, but with mods.

This is an MMO. What's your end condition?

Hard to say, but I'll keep it going for as long as I can without it getting tedious. If there's a level cap, I'll stop there.

OK then, tell us about this lovely game.

In 2077, the world is destroyed in nuclear fire, and a small portion of the US population managed to cram themselves into Vaults (state-of-the-art underground shelters) under the auspices of the Vault-Tec Corporation, the construction of which was partly funded by the US Government through Project Safehouse. 25 years later, you and your fellow Vault-dwellers are informed that it will soon be Reclamation Day, the day you get booted out of your underground home and start rebuilding civilization. Once you start the game and emerge from Vault 76, you start the usual MMORPG staples of completing quests, exploring the world and tooling around with other players (or getting poo poo on, depending on who you meet and what mood they're in). The world is largely devoid of NPCs; players are expected to trade and cooperate with each other, or fight over what's left. There's plenty of storylines that fit in with the rest of the Fallout lore, though.
The settlement building mechanics from Fallout 4 have made a comeback, but with some changes: you need a device called a CAMP which only lets you build temporary settlements you can store as blueprints. If you want something that stays on the server, you have to take over a workshop. What really chaps people's asses here is that you're never on the same server twice, and the moment you leave the server, what you built is removed and stored, and any workshops you claimed are unclaimed. Nothing you do is truly permanent, which is rather disappointing given that most current generation MMOs involve persistent worlds.

Can we at least pick your character?

No, I'm going to play as myself. Die mad about it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I fold my LP over a thousand times - Kenshi

Kenshi is an indie game developed over the course of 12 years, officially released in December of 2018. It takes place in a post apocalyptic world, with a huge feudal Japan influence on the style. Guns were never invented but robots and electricity were, katanas and sabers are the common weapons. Slavery is rampant, bandits are everywhere and lets not even talk about the wildlife. All of this makes for an open sandbox where the player can do what they want to do, provided they're tough enough to handle it.

How is this gonna work out?

Given that the game literally has no story (Its got lore and background, but no explicit "go here and do this"), I am going to go with goals for our party. One primary goal and I will let the thread vote on other goals (IE, we meet a faction, this is what they do, should we be friendly or hostile?). I'll be letting things happen when it comes to deaths or other negative things, Kenshi is a game about coming out stronger after defeat. No, seriously. I'll only be reloading if it does something like launch a character at mach 5 over some hills and into a swarm of cannibals (yes this has happened to me, multiple times).

Spoilers?

There is no story, but I'd ask if you can keep high leveled areas in spoiler tags, or what happens if certain characters are killed.

Names!

You can change the looks and name of characters by visiting a surgeon, I will name characters after goons. Note that I do have a set of characters I want for the main crew (namely people with unique dialogue), but we'll need people to do labor at a base and people to defend the base while the main crew is rolling around. We will go first come first serve on the naming order.

Rebirth

Leal fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 14, 2019

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Were..you going to show anything for anyone to critique?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Leal posted:

I fold my LP over a thousand times - Kenshi

Kenshi is an indie game developed over the course of 12 years, officially released in December of 2018. It takes place in a post apocalyptic world, with a huge feudal Japan influence on the style. Guns were never invented but robots and electricity were, katanas and sabers are the common weapons. Slavery is rampant, bandits are everywhere and lets not even talk about the wildlife. All of this makes for an open sandbox where the player can do what they want to do, provided they're tough enough to handle it.

How is this gonna work out?

Given that the game literally has no story (Its got lore and background, but no explicit "go here and do this"), I am going to go with goals for our party. One primary goal and I will let the thread vote on other goals (IE, we meet a faction, this is what they do, should we be friendly or hostile?). I'll be letting things happen when it comes to deaths or other negative things, Kenshi is a game about coming out stronger after defeat. No, seriously. I'll only be reloading if it does something like launch a character at mach 5 over some hills and into a swarm of cannibals (yes this has happened to me, multiple times).

Spoilers?

There is no story, but I'd ask if you can keep high leveled areas in spoiler tags, or what happens if certain characters are killed.

Names!

You can change the looks and name of characters by visiting a surgeon, I will name characters after goons. Note that I do have a set of characters I want for the main crew (namely people with unique dialogue), but we'll need people to do labor at a base and people to defend the base while the main crew is rolling around. We will go first come first serve on the naming order.

Rebirth

This is really good, and I will probably be subscribing to this one. I'd love it if you were really in depth on mechanics, because there's 0 good guides on this game out there.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

Were..you going to show anything for anyone to critique?

Just like the actual Fallout 76, the LP of it is also non-functional at launch :v:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Just like the actual Fallout 76, the LP of it is also non-functional at launch :v:

:hmmyes:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

Will it also be an SSLP even though they promised a VLP?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zanzibar Ham posted:

yes but also when you get the SSLP there actually going to be .jpgs instead of a higher quality lossless format.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

It's just gonna be a re-edit of ddegenha's Fallout 4 LP with a new commentary track.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Zanzibar Ham posted:

It was always a nylon bag SSLP. Todd said stop whining.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Freelancer's been sitting in the request pile for a long time and I've sunk a dumb number of hours into that game but have never done an LP. Am I on the right track with this for a firstpost?

Alright so this is my very first LP and since it's much requested and seemingly never filled, I've chosen Freelancer! What is Freelancer?

wikipedia posted:

Freelancer is a space trading and combat simulation video game developed by Digital Anvil and published by Microsoft Game Studios. It is a chronological sequel to Digital Anvil's Starlancer, a combat flight simulator released in 2000. The game was initially announced by Chris Roberts in 1999, and following many production schedule mishaps and a buyout of Digital Anvil by Microsoft, it was eventually released in March 2003.

In the game, players take on the roles of spacecraft pilots. These characters fly single-seater ships, exploring the planets and space stations of 48 known star systems. They also engage in dogfights with other pilots (player- and computer-controlled) to protect traders or engage in piracy themselves. Other player activities include bounty-hunting and commodity trading. The single-player mode puts the player in the role of Edison Trent, who goes through a series of missions to save the Sirius sector from a mysterious alien force. In multiplayer mode, players are free to take on any role and to explore anywhere from the start.

So if you're familiar with Privateer, Elite, Star Citizen (hahahahaha) etc, it's that kinda open world spaceship game. I'll be playing an almost entirely vanilla install for this; Freelancer supports modding pretty well and the mod scene for it is still alive and well today with modded persistent servers offerring the option to play the game online as a sorta-MMORPG. I've only installed HD textures and some .ini hacks to make Freelancer support my modern 1080p widescreen. If you're interested in the mods I'm using, the HD textures can be found here, the Freelancer Mod Manager is available here and the .ini tweaks guide here. There's not a currently available digital version to my knowledge or I'd plug that but I've heard it's now abandonware so :filez: is an option.

The general rhythm of play is that we'll do a storyline mission (or two) and then are set free to wander around and do whatever for a bit. Smuggle drugs, bounty hunt criminals, steal things, peacefully deliver food and medicine, whatever we want! There's a lot of factions who have their reasons for aiding/impeding us in these tasks and we'll cover them basically as we run into them.

The story is that humanity has a big war here in the Sol system and the losers of said war pack it onto sleeper ships to try to rebuild their societies out around Sirius. 4 of the 5 ships made it successfully and restarted spacefaring civilization. Click here for the backstory cinematic.

Liberty :911: aka Space America, Liberty's a hypercapitalist democracy with all the problems associated with that. Mass incarceration in for-profit prisons has become the standard for the lower classes who've lost their old industrial jobs to automation and trade.

Bretonia :britain: aka Space United Kingdom, Bretonia's a constitutional monarchy, replete with the usual wars between the government and separatist Celt groups absorbed into the Empire forcibly.

Kusari :japan: aka Space Japan, Kusari is nominally an Empire but the Emperor mostly reads poetry and thinks serene thoughts while the Shogun and his military government actually handle things. Kusari's extremely socially conservative, to the point one of the main terrorist groups in Kusari space really just wants equal rights for women.

Rheinland :godwinning: aka Space Germany, Rheinland's cut from the cloth of Otto Von Bismarck. They're militaristic but not particularly warmongers. They invest heavily in industry and their society. A notable historical event regarding Rheinland is that they fought a protracted war with the Gas Mining Guild, an ethnic Kusari group (not particularly supported or endorsed by the Kusari government) that supplies most of the Colonies with H-Fuel: Space Gasoline.

So that brings us up to the present, where a young Edison Trent has travelled to Freeport 7 as part of a business deal where surely nothing will go horrifically wrong.

Oh. Well that's not good. Unknown ships appear out of nowhere and destroy Freeport 7. With our ship on it. And us. Not a good start to our spacefaring career.

Click here to see a video of the attack on Freeport 7 as well as our arrival on New Manhattan after Search & Rescue recovers our escape pod. We also meet two important NPCs.

Lonnigan, our pal on the stretcher, was who talked us into going out to Freeport 7 and nominally owes us a lot of money.

Jun-Ko Zane, an ethnic Kusari who works for Liberty Security Force. We need a job and don't even have a ship to get one with, but she's got both lined up for us. It's awful convenient but it's also the only option we've got right now.

Well before we rush out to do errands for Juni let's take a look at the ship she got for us.

It's tradition in these kinds of games that your starting craft is a godawful shitpile and this is certainly a godawful shitpile. We have the weakest thruster. Our shields are barely up to the task of fending off space rocks, much less gunfire. And our guns are the wimpiest pea shooters in the game; Justice Mk1s. Plus we've only got 2 of them despite the fact this ship can mount 3. So we sell off our starting nanobots and shield batteries (emergency supplies for combat) and use the money to put a 3rd gun on the thing, and a Justice Mk2 at that instead of a third Justice Mk1. We can't afford any more upgrades for this thing and we can't afford to replace it with something better. Before we run off to do errands for Juni let's check our status and get introduced to the faction system:

So far we've only encountered Liberty Police, Inc and Liberty Security Force both of whom are pretty friendly with us considering we haven't shot anyone or otherwise been a shithead on New Manhattan. LPI are kind of a merger of traditional police and a for-profit prison system that uses convict labor, while LSF is a combo traditional police & secret police force, like CIA & FBI in one. In general House Security & Military groups like these are friendly (ie, they will aid us in combat if we're attacked) so long as we're not doing any crimes.

Next up: Mission 1!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Freelancer One dash One, you are not cleared to dock, Gameplay footage missing.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Mongrel

Last test post, mainly looking for feedback on the avatars.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

chairface posted:

Freelancer

Okay, there's a number of things that concern me here, because I'm the guy who requested a Freelancer LP oh so long ago and I'd hope to see it done well. First off, as Cooked Auto mentioned, there's no gameplay video to be found, which is kind of a big thing to put forward when Sandcastling so that people can actually look at the meat your your LP. Also concerning is that both cutscene videos you've linked are coming from other people's YouTube pages. Are those just there as placeholders for when you get your own footage uploaded, or are you going to piggybacking off other people's work, because that's something people should know up front.

The body of the post is a bit of a mess too that could use some cleanup. It's a little hard to read with everything flowing into the next bit in the chain. Try breaking it up a little clearer by what each segment is about. The blurbs on the Houses is good. Maybe introduce it with a header, just a bold and underlined title that lets people know what is being talked about and when. You should also probably make an oblique reference about what happened to the Hispania, because that's a looming part of the game's worldbuilding too.

Your images need a bit of work too. You should try to find a PNG version of the Liberty flag with a transparent background because it kind of stands out from the rest something hellish. You should also probably try editing the images you've got so they're not so big. TIMG tags should only be used sparingly and for gigantic otherwise page-breaking images. The ones on Juni and Lonnigan's character pictures aren't needed, though Juni's headshot can be scaled down a bit. The pictures of Freeport 7 blowing up, the first ship you get and the starting stats screen don't need TIMG tags either. If they're under 900px wide, you're in the clear to just use IMG tags.

As for the videos--first off, please upload your own versions on your own account ASAP--make sure that they stand out in the post in question. Hiding them behind tiny one word "click here" links makes them easily missable and hard to find. Again, headers, bold tags and off-setting can solve this problem. For example:

quote:

[image]
CUTSCENE: The destruction of Freeport 7, arrival on Planet Manhattan

Oh. Well that's not good. Unknown ships appear out of nowhere and destroy Freeport 7. With our ship on it. And us. Not a good start to our spacefaring career.

Or something to that effect. I hope some of that proves useful because like I said, this is one I've wanted to see done for a while without having to resort to doing it myself.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Also concerning is that both cutscene videos you've linked are coming from other people's YouTube pages. Are those just there as placeholders for when you get your own footage uploaded, or are you going to piggybacking off other people's work, because that's something people should know up front.

And here I was going to joke that the poster didn't own the LP, just had an "agreement" with those who do.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

I'd like to request a title change for this thread into A Detective Noir Game, Featuring Annoying Neighbors (Last Window, The Secret of Cape West).

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

1234567890num posted:

I'd like to request a title change for this thread into A Detective Noir Game, Featuring Annoying Neighbors (Last Window, The Secret of Cape West).

Love to, but it's five characters too long.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Fedule posted:

Love to, but it's five characters too long.

If so, then please change it to A Detective Noir Game with Annoying Neighbors (Last Window: The Secret of Cape West) instead. Thanks.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

1234567890num posted:

If so, then please change it to A Detective Noir Game with Annoying Neighbors (Last Window: The Secret of Cape West) instead. Thanks.

Done.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Leal posted:

Last test post, mainly looking for feedback on the avatars.
Could do with a fair bit of proofreading for awkward phrasing and errors. I had to go back and note that there's a guy following you, because abruptly ending your sentences seemed par the course.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Kenshi thread posted

Xander77 posted:

Could do with a fair bit of proofreading for awkward phrasing and errors. I had to go back and note that there's a guy following you, because abruptly ending your sentences seemed par the course.

Alright, I reworked the first post and I'll be sure to go over this second one. I'll pull back on the mid word stops.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

And here I was going to joke that the poster didn't own the LP, just had an "agreement" with those who do.

You should go. Before something bad happens.

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Cobrastan is not a real country.
Sorry if this has already been asked, but are there issues with the LP archive? I noticed it hasn't been updated since July of last year.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Polybius91 posted:

Sorry if this has already been asked, but are there issues with the LP archive? I noticed it hasn't been updated since July of last year.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Polybius91 posted:

Baldurk likely has real world responsibilities is the dull answer. Bills are clearly still being paid though.

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Cobrastan is not a real country.

Namtab posted:

Baldurk likely has real world responsibilities is the dull answer. Bills are clearly still being paid though.
Fair enough. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I was going to a Let's Play. Between two mystery Fanatical Key Packs and a couple 50/60 Steam Key Packs, I was going to see what kind of Steam Game can you get 200 of for about $30. I've typed up some sections, but not sure if since it's a text based reaction as I go through it (trust me, my face is goony enough I don't want to put it on the internet), if that would be just a random VG thread or a LP.